Does cardio eat away muscle? Is it diet? Is it cardio? Is it GENES?

Options

Replies

• alexrosader
    alexrosader Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    Why the extremes? It's like you think there are only two options: 1000 calories or 2500 calories. If you're too scared of looking "like a marshmallow" at 2000 calories, why not try 1700 for awhile and see if your muscle stops wasting away? 1000-1200 is clearly not working for you, and 2000, 2500, 3000 clearly doesn't work for you either. Instead of arguing with strangers on the Internet, why not experiment with something more moderate?

Will try that this spring going into summer
  • alexrosader
    Options
    Jesus....I was about to go into the benefits of fasting...I'll stop right here ......
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,670 Member
    Options
    Jesus....I was about to go into the benefits of fasting...I'll stop right here ......
    You should stop. Your interpretation of actual fasting may be skewed just like how you consume calories and think about metabolic rate.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    My good man, I am 7 inches shorter than you, female, weigh 136lbs and do a mere 4-6 hours of cardiovascular stuff a week plus half- Kitten press-ups and such each day. Unless the kitten stands on me, in which case they're full press-ups. I think we can assume you're a lot more muscular than me, yeah?

And I am continuing to lose weight when I stay between 1500 and 2000 calories!

Then your genetics are totally different than Mine, we don't digest food and absorb nutrients the same way, if I stepped it up to 2000 kcal daily I will look like a marshmallow, soft and that's uncomfortable for me. My metabolism is really slow trust me.

You've had it tested in a lab, then?

Hahah, how about this put me and her on the same diet and exercise regimen and you are going to tell me we will loose weight / gain muscle EXACTLY AT THE SAME RATE?

So the answer is no, you haven't, and so you're doing like so many people do, including myself in the past, using metabolism as an excuse while having no idea what it even means to have a slow or fast metabolism or if you actually have one.
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    My good man, I am 7 inches shorter than you, female, weigh 136lbs and do a mere 4-6 hours of cardiovascular stuff a week plus half- Kitten press-ups and such each day. Unless the kitten stands on me, in which case they're full press-ups. I think we can assume you're a lot more muscular than me, yeah?

Then your genetics are totally different than Mine, we don't digest food and absorb nutrients the same way, if I stepped it up to 2000 kcal daily I will look like a marshmallow, soft and that's uncomfortable for me. My metabolism is really slow trust me.

You've had it tested in a lab, then?

Hahah, how about this put me and her on the same diet and exercise regimen and you are going to tell me we will loose weight / gain muscle EXACTLY AT THE SAME RATE?
    Of course we flipping wouldn't! It is quite possible I have a fast metabolism for someone of my height and sex , but the effects of that are going to be more than cancelled out by the fact I am shorter than you and have rather different endocrinology.

TL;DR- you will lose weight faster and gain muscle strength faster than me if we do exactly the same routine.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Since there may be a misunderstanding about metabolism and other aspects of your daily burn - and thinking lower eating levels is inherently better for some reason, and if you indeed do have what you think to be a slower metabolism - perhaps this can shed some light on the differences, and why you may be where you are, and how not to get there if not actually there.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/heybales/view/reduced-metabolism-tdee-beyond-expected-from-weight-loss-616251

And then think about what will allow the best potential for success with your goals.
  • alexrosader
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

There are variations in metabolism and TDEE. For a large part, people follow within a standard range.

"Metabolic rate does vary, and technically there could be large variance. However, statistically speaking it is unlikely the variance would apply to you. The majority of the population exists in a range of 200-300kcal from each other and do not possess hugely different metabolic rates"

https://examine.com/nutrition/does-metabolism-vary-between-two-people/

The other driver are the other components, especially NEAT and TEA. So if you are small, are largely sedentary, you will have a lower TDEE. But I know plenty of small women who maintain at over 2000 calories.

There are other factors that can decrease metabolism, especially eating disorders or periods of high calorie suppression.

ETA: If you actually want to know if you fall within the standard deviation, go get a metabolic test instead of assuming. But like ninerbuff pointer out, you aren't very big, so that means you won't have a ton of lean body mass.

And if I'm not very big I guess I shouldn't consume a lot of calories, considering the fact you mentioned that i don't have a lot of body mass correct? (Cough cough)
  • alexrosader
    Options

Maybe, just maybe , you need to eat less than other men of your height and activity level would, but you still clearly need to eat more than you are currently.

[/quote]

Thank you jeeez
  • alexrosader
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

Bro, it's not her genetics. At your height and weight you're likely not more than 135lbs of lean mass. And that's not a lot. So her lean mass for her height versus your lean mass versus height is likely more per sq. inch.
    Also there is a thing called adaptive thermogenisis. Look it up and maybe you'll understand.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Oooo wow very interesting for an ACE certified trainer comparing and average Joe training and nutrition to a Olympic athelete.....
    (FACEPALM)
  • alexrosader
    Options
    OK this is me repeatin myself again as always...I am a small dude 5'9 153lbs during the winter I eat about 1500 to 1800kcal daily with one cheat meal and do 15-to20 miles of cardio a week that's 5miles or 4miles a day . I also lift weights push day, pull day, and leg day. Once spring comes across I'll bring down my calories to about 1200kcal-1000kcaldaily (with one cheat day which is 3000kcal)and stay the same on cardio and do circuit training. Why is it that by mid July I begin to look like a crackhead? I like the ripped look but sometimes I look like I may have lost muscle and I have to bring up my carbs to get some fiuless but then I lose vascularity and that ripped dry look. I know I'm crazy loolol I am a fatties by genetics I'm not comfortable have a soft look during the summer
    Plenty. They make it fit their macros.

I'm sorry but if you are trying to get a ripped shredded look you won't be able to do that by fitting in a 400-600 calorie slice of pizza

I'm sorry but it doesn't sound like you're getting a ripped shredded look by undereating so much that you look like someone who spends their time and money on drugs instead of food.

We will see by spring and summer buddy!! ;)
  • JB035
    JB035 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    So... then the statement: That people are carb sensitive and some are not is false?? I'm confused.

As far as I've seen not everyone can eat the same and get the same results.
  • alexrosader
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    psuLemon wrote: »

There are variations in metabolism and TDEE. For a large part, people follow within a standard range.

"Metabolic rate does vary, and technically there could be large variance. However, statistically speaking it is unlikely the variance would apply to you. The majority of the population exists in a range of 200-300kcal from each other and do not possess hugely different metabolic rates"

https://examine.com/nutrition/does-metabolism-vary-between-two-people/

The other driver are the other components, especially NEAT and TEA. So if you are small, are largely sedentary, you will have a lower TDEE. But I know plenty of small women who maintain at over 2000 calories.

There are other factors that can decrease metabolism, especially eating disorders or periods of high calorie suppression.

ETA: If you actually want to know if you fall within the standard deviation, go get a metabolic test instead of assuming. But like ninerbuff pointer out, you aren't very big, so that means you won't have a ton of lean body mass.

And if I'm not very big I guess I shouldn't consume a lot of calories, considering the fact you mentioned that i don't have a lot of body mass correct? (Cough cough)

If you can't figure out that, based upon your results, you're not eating enough calories right now, then it's probably pointless discussing it with you any further. So far it just seems that you want to argue endlessly with anybody who isn't agreeing with you rather than trying to learn anything that will help you succeed. So keep doing what you're doing and you'll keep getting the same results.

Thank you!
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    Plenty. They make it fit their macros.

I'm sorry but if you are trying to get a ripped shredded look you won't be able to do that by fitting in a 400-600 calorie slice of pizza

You can if you incorporate it into your macros......
  • Whit_88
    Whit_88 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Holy crap. I am a 5'3 female (200 lbs, yes, I'm obese) and you're eating as much as I am (well there about, I'm taking in 1700) and i'm losing weight. 1500-1800 calories for a guy of 5'9 and 32 seemed really low, so I did a little research and the websites I looked at by typing in some of your given info (age, weight, height and your activity, be it guesstimated because I dont know how long you actually work out and how many days) say you should be taking in like 2200-2500 calories or more to build muscle. You're under eating. If you're trying to build muscle you have to eat all the foods.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

Bro, it's not her genetics. At your height and weight you're likely not more than 135lbs of lean mass. And that's not a lot. So her lean mass for her height versus your lean mass versus height is likely more per sq. inch.
    Also there is a thing called adaptive thermogenisis. Look it up and maybe you'll understand.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Oooo wow very interesting for an ACE certified trainer comparing and average Joe training and nutrition to a Olympic athelete.....
    (FACEPALM)

He didn't. You did. He just explained why it's not an appropriate comparison.