Eating healthy, not losing weight

Options

Replies

• sodaceratops
    sodaceratops Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    What's the Taco part of your taco salad?

Also you just ate some cubes of tofu with nothing? Rice, anything?

Lol I guess it's not REALLY a taco salad. It's just seasoned with cumin and smoked paprika, giving it a taco flavour.

No, I don't eat rice. The tofu was with the sauce, which I listed (ketchup, soy, vinegar, and maple syrup), and the veggies. Tofu plain is good too, I really like my tofu.
  • sodaceratops
    Options
    fascha wrote: »
    Well you've replied to this thread and others more than 20 times just today. I mean I'm no expert but I think it would take me the same amount of time to log my food but hey, you don't have the time for that am I right? What exactly were you looking for on a weight loss HELP forum? Perhaps we should petition the admins to create a Askhole and Pity Party section because it appears that's all you're looking for.

Goosfraba ✌
  • KayCeeRein
    KayCeeRein Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    You will get it figured out OP. Likely it just takes time for your body to get back to normal after being pregnant. I'm going to go out on a limb and assume you had lots of water retention with your pregnancy?
  • sodaceratops
    Options
    KayCeeRein wrote: »
    You will get it figured out OP. Likely it just takes time for your body to get back to normal after being pregnant. I'm going to go out on a limb and assume you had lots of water retention with your pregnancy?

Indeed I did. My feet were so swollen. I was walking on two balloons. I could only wear my birkenstocks on their largest hole, normally they're on the tightest. Man, pregnancy really screws with your body. But at least no stretch marks
  • KayCeeRein
    KayCeeRein Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I left the hospital with my daughter in her car seat weighing 16 lbs more than when I was admitted in labour. I lost the water weight very quickly and then after that it took a solid 7 months for my body to wake up and lose the rest :)
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I don't mind staying with him while he sleeps, he finds comfort in it and I like being off my feet for a bit. I think he'll stop wanting me to lie with him when he no longer needs it. And if thats not the case, then so be it.

I'll do the note pad suggestion. That's easier than whipping my phone out and searching for the food. I find that this app had a lot of varying nutritional value for foods, I'm never sure what to go with... I often spend a lot of time checking different sources to find the most accurate facts. I've still not been able to find accurate nutrition facts for homemade almond milk or the pulp left over, it varies greatly.

for the milk you can weigh the almonds and all the ingredients separately,weigh it and separate anything thats left over(aka not used) weigh again and then write it down and plug it into the recipe builder. that way you have your own recipe with the calories and nutrition info.as for foods in the database,you can cross reference with food packaging or the USDA(if in the us). you can then choose the correct entry/edit the entry or make your own.

Note that weighing the pulp while wet skews the result, you would need to dry it first. In my case, it barely fills up a teaspoon so I don't even bother and allow these few lost calories as a logging mistake buffer. I usually do 100 grams of cashews for every 900 grams of water so it's easy to calculate: if I have a 250 ml cup of the nut drink, I just punch in 25 grams of cashews into my diary.
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Smoothies can cause weight gain because they are more quickly abs bred and hence raise your insulin levels, making you hungry all day long. I also notice that you have a fair bit of fat in your diet. I am a vegan and I base my diet around starches, whole veg and fruit (unblended), and low fat. This lets me eat a lot of food and lose weight. But also, go easy on yourself since you just had a baby!!! Look up dr.mcdougall, dr.lisle, and chef aj. Also, mr and mrs vegan on YouTube have a program called WSLF (whole starch low fat) that doesn't require calorie tracking and can allow you to eat a lot while still loosing weight. Good luck

When I did a vegan, low fat (WSLF) diet I was hungry all the time. I lost weight, but I was miserable. Adding more healthy fats helped with the hunger, improved my hair and skin, helped with my memory and focus, and dramatically improved my cholesterol ratio.

Looking back on that period of time, I remember the intensity of my motivation and my belief in the merits of the diet made me ignore signs that the diet wasn't right for me. What finally convinced me to add avocado, nuts and olive oil back to my diet was my appalling cholesterol ratio. I had lost 60 pounds and the ratio was worse.

• sarahbetherck
    sarahbetherck Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    kq1981 wrote: »
    Oh congratulations:-)
    Cld u possibly log everything while he naps or when you put him down of a night? I log of a night when my girls are in bed for the next day usually. I just started weighing foods and it takes 2 minutes :smile:

This is what I do as well. I log most (usually all) of my food for the next day after the kids are in bed. I build in all the meals and snacks and weigh/measure everything. Sometimes I tweak it during the day but it gives me a head start. Good luck!
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Why don't you wait till your baby is sleeping and prelog your day tomorrow so you don't have to "whip out your phone every time you eat something". I suspect you will learn you were grossly underestimating your intake.

Really great suggestion! Sadly, the only excitement I have in life is not knowing what I'll eat tomorrow. Pre-recording would just suck that excitement right out of my life.

I totally get that! Do you think that just one of your meals -- breakfast? -- could always be the same, or rotate between two different things? I do that and it saves a lot of logging time.

Your diet sounds amazing! But maybe you don't realize how large your portions are? Or maybe you're a grazer and there's little things you eat here or there that you forget? Once you get used to weighing and measuring, it really doesn't take that much extra time. I learned some good tips on this thread: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10523700/what-a-nitwit#latest

I keep a notepad and my food scale out on the counter at all times. I scribble cryptic notes as I go, then when I'm ready to log, I refer back to the notepad. I try to log before dinner so I know about how many calories dinner should be.

I know how precious time is for you right now. I wish you and your little one all the best!

• Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Please may I refer you to page two of replies to your thread. I gave you quite a broad outline of what the thyroid does and where to find more information, including where to find 300 symptoms. Many people who are hypo have to consume fewer than the mfp guidelines to loose weight because their metabolic system is so far off. Restricting a great deal will result in a reduction of nutrition. Thinking round the 1200c, mfp's lowest level, its nigh on impossible to obtain full nutrition without having someone to work out everything scientifically.

OP I hope you feel better soon. Some round here seem to like the sound of their own voices, one had a response as soon as I pressed post, she had not had sufficient time to read what I had written. We are all different, our children are different, please find what is best for you from the common thoughts. When it comes to logging when you have a representative group of foods in your lists you will be able to find them and change the amount you have particularly if you can weigh in grams/liquids in ml. If you look at suggestions for the food you want bring it up and see what it gives as information, look at a couple before clicking add so you know the most consistent there are many duplicate records because we can all add.

All the very best from someone who had to get their thyroid sorted to feel anything like reasonable, I'd not wish that on anyone. Everyone knew better than I what I was eating for years, a close family member died without my discovering the underlying problem my symptoms were always dismissed. Things might be different for those with thyroid problems if the ratio of persons affected were the other way about, its something like 8 may be 10 women to 1 man who have these issues, those are the one with the dubious privilege of being diagnosed there are as many in the general population who never find support, its all there in my initial references.
  • size102b
    size102b Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    How do people log what they eat if the don't weigh or measure food ? You can't know how much something is unless you know the weights and measures ?
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    size102b wrote: »
    How do people log what they eat if the don't weigh or measure food ? You can't know how much something is unless you know the weights and measures ?

I used to use entries in the database like "1 apple, 1 large egg, 1 slice of toast etc" or I guestimated a cup, tbsp.. Or I weighed it once and just kept using the same entry over after that.
  • simonbraunercave
    simonbraunercave Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Log what you eat and drink every day and weigh yourself regularly. You will lose weight if you eat less than you expend. I only get an hour and a half activity in a day - I record as I walk - and I do it on three different apps: its not a biggie.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    On second thought I think it would take me less time. Best of luck losing weight putting more effort into your excuses vs a plan. ✌️️

You seem to have alot of time and energy to bash people. You wrote multiple comments within a half an hour with no returning response from the original poster...You sound a bit angry for no reason. It's always better to concentrate your energy on motivating and uplifting people rather than tearing them down.

I'm not the one claiming not to have time. If pointing out logical inconsistencies is bashing then I suppose I am guilty, however, I think I am helping OP by showing her that she is simply making excuses for why she is choosing to remain overweight. I'm not one to go out of my way to be cruel; believe me. Sometimes the truth is painful
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    I logged my food yesterday and the day before. Yesterday was 900 calories and the day before was 1000. How many calories should I be eating to lose weight? I was told anything under 1600. I don't believe I eat over 1600 calories. When I was recording my daily food intake, I was always around 1000. I'll try to record my food for the week and hope this helps.

People who say a calorie deficit is what is required to lose weight are correct.

You are not gaining weight on 900 calories a day, so either your calculations are way off or you are not logging everything you eat, or you have a serious medical condition that needs immediate medical attention. My guess is that it's not the latter.

Plug your stats into MFP, or any other weight loss app, and you will get an estimate of what it takes to lose weight. Weight all your food, log everything you eat, and make sure you stay in a calorie deficit and you will lose weight.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Fuzzipeg wrote: »
    You did not have time to read and inwardly digest what I wrote. fascha. True thyroid may not be the first port of call but when it reduces metabolism and messes up so much, with the brief explanation I gave with places to find information 300 symptoms, it may be helpful, if only for the OP or other readers, to eliminate thyroid issues, from the possibilities.

But.....in reading the original posting, and the one after that, it's clear that she's ingesting way more than she realizes. This is more common than a thyroid issue. ;)
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,598 Member
    Options

I pre log every morning and then change the weight after I've weighed it. Simple! :)
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options

Way back in the day, people used to use pens and paper, and we had these books that listed calorie counts. We used measuring cups, and estimated how large our apples were. You seriously think people didn't ever track what they ate before kitchen scales were widely available and as cheap as they are now?