Why is it SO HARD not to eat kids' leftovers?

Options

Replies

• fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I have to remind myself that the food in my plate is what's mine to eat. Anything not on my plate when we serve up isn't mine to eat. It was just a mental thing I had to do to keep from picking at food at dinner, etc.
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken Posts: 1,530 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    You're not a trash can. You don't need to eat garbage. Throw that stuff away. Think of yourself as something to be treated well - not as a human garbage disposal.

At what point did this food become garbage...?

Or, are we to assume that this lady was feeding her children garbage to begin with...?

A lot of very unhelpful comments here. OP, I would go with the suggestions about limiting portion sizes in the first place, which would mean less waste, and less overeating.

Good luck!

Food becomes garbage when one has decided it should go in the trash but then eats it instead. But since I am the only one who seems to think that she doesn't need to eat food she doesn't want to eat I will concede I am clearly wrong and she should eat the food whether she wants to or not.

Where are you getting this stuff??? No one is encouraging her to EAT the leftovers. However a lot of other suggestions have been made. Things like serve smaller portions, or ruin the left over food so it won't be edible or appealing, have the kids scrape their own plates after meals etc.... You may be upset because many of us don't feel that the food becomes garbage once the meal is over until that food is actually in the trash can or sink, but saying that we are all encouraging her to eat with wreckless abandon is not right or accurate. At least keep the conversation honest.

So ruining the food so its not edible is okay but throwing it away isn't. Makes perfect sense. And no kid has ever been served a smaller portion and still not eaten it all. Gotcha.

I think it's just fine to throw it away. The trouble is not in the difference of opinion about which leftovers are trash and which ones are okay to save but rather your attitude about that difference in opinion. You seem upset that people disagree with whether left overs on someone's plate is garbage or at what point they become garbage. For some people it is not garbage until it hits the trash can. For you (and maybe even other people) it is garbage once the meal is done whether that food is still on the table or not. You seem very angry and have resorted to putting words into the mouth of the people commenting because there is a difference in opinion about when left overs become garbage. In fact you did it to me just now. I never said, "ruining the food so its not edible is okay but throwing it away isn't. " nor have I said, "no kid has ever been served a smaller portion and still not eaten it all. " I don't know why you would draw these assumptions.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,566 Member
    Options
    Again, to HELP the OP, focus more on serving LESS to your kids. If they are still hungry, they will ask for more and give them a little more. Not to mention, what will this teach your kids? They don't have to pile up their plates, then just WASTE the food they didn't eat. They will learn to portion their food and put away leftover food that wasn't doled out.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Again, to HELP the OP, focus more on serving LESS to your kids. If they are still hungry, they will ask for more and give them a little more. Not to mention, what will this teach your kids? They don't have to pile up their plates, then just WASTE the food they didn't eat. They will learn to portion their food and put away leftover food that wasn't doled out.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

In defense of a few bites being left over, that may not be entirely avoidable. I don't know how big the servings are that she serves to them but also we don't know how much is left over. She didn't say whether it was a lot or a just a bite or two. I don't think tossing a couple of bites of food is teaching them to be wasteful. Now when it gets to be half the plate that is a waste and is teaching a bad habit in my opinion. At my house I serve less than what I think they will eat. Most of the time they eat it all and don't ask or more, sometimes they do ask for more. Other times they may have a couple of bites left.
  • Goober1142
    Goober1142 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Stand over trash can. Deposit food...I tell myself it ends up in the toilet or on my thighs anyway.
  • LessCookiess
    LessCookiess Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    If it's already been eaten just dump it down the sink (if it has the shredder), or the trash can and wash the plate. If it hasn't been eaten put it inside of the fridge and save it for another day.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,566 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

In defense of a few bites being left over, that may not be entirely avoidable. I don't know how big the servings are that she serves to them but also we don't know how much is left over. She didn't say whether it was a lot or a just a bite or two. I don't think tossing a couple of bites of food is teaching them to be wasteful. Now when it gets to be half the plate that is a waste and is teaching a bad habit in my opinion. At my house I serve less than what I think they will eat. Most of the time they eat it all and don't ask or more, sometimes they do ask for more. Other times they may have a couple of bites left.
    Oh I get a bite or two. But I've seen kids plates with only 1/4 of it eaten. Kids don't normally eat till they are so full (which is why the majority of kids are lean till their teens in many cases).

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    There seems to be a lot of assumption here that I routinely overfeed the kid, and this is based on one incident with an omelette, where the choice was between 1 egg and 2 eggs, and I evidently made the wrong call.

Can I just reiterate that I was never looking for advice on what to do with the leftovers, and certainly not for a battle royale on the subject of when and whether leftovers constitute "garbage" - I was looking for insight from people with similar issues as to what lies behind it psychologically. I wanted people to chat with me about their experience and what they think drives it for them.

I'm getting a little bored of the fighting now, tbh.
  • kq1981
    kq1981 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    There seems to be a lot of assumption here that I routinely overfeed the kid, and this is based on one incident with an omelette, where the choice was between 1 egg and 2 eggs, and I evidently made the wrong call.

Can I just reiterate that I was never looking for advice on what to do with the leftovers, and certainly not for a battle royale on the subject of when and whether leftovers constitute "garbage" - I was looking for insight from people with similar issues as to what lies behind it psychologically. I wanted people to chat with me about their experience and what they think drives it for them.

It's no ones business what u feed your children anyway. There are some good posts here, I hope u got some insight
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    kq1981 wrote: »

It's no ones business what u feed your children anyway. There are some good posts here, I hope u got some insight

Yes, there's some good stuff, thanks for the thoughtful posts and advice!
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    You are overfeeding your kids,
    they should be begging you for more by the end of the meal.

giphy.gif

(note: I just wanted to post an Oliver Twist meme)
  • Sara1791
    Sara1791 Posts: 760 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options

Never show weakness on the forums! ;)

eta: Sorry, I too misunderstood and gave a bit of advice. I get you now.
    ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken Posts: 1,530 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options

It sure did snowball eh? I think we all get a little loose dealing our advice around here and sometimes fail to realize it may not actually be needed.

I figured maybe your child was just doing what a lot of kids do. People saying you are overfeeding them are assuming and I can say when I was growing up my mother did not eat our leftovers. But she did serve what portion she thought was appropriate, then she proceeded to literally try and shove the food down my throat if I did not want to eat it. I wish I were exaggerating here, but I'm not. Anyhoo, Sometimes kids just are not going to eat every bite that they have in front of them, and there will be left overs in some quantity. For me, while I have never eaten their leftovers as a habit I have taken to eating the general leftovers from the stove. I always felt that I had to eat it ALL and nothing could go into the trash. If it went to the fridge I would just eat it all day until it was gone. That was of what helped me gain a lot of weight. It has been real work getting past that. It is hard to waste food.

I hope you gained something from this thread as insane it turned out in the end. Sorry or the drama!
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options

Toddler appetites are impossible to predict. Anyone who's raised rugrats of their own knows this! Mine are older now but I remember those days. I ate far too many leftover chicken nuggets and more than a little cold mac and cheese because I didn't want to 'waste' it. The good news is, this stage doesn't last forever. (And for the record, my kids both eat a relatively balanced diet now, despite the nuggets and mac and cheese.)

Food and the emotional, psychological issues attached to it bring up a host of armchair psychologists around here.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    The idea of eating off of another person's plate makes me want to gag. I don't care who it is. I don't like to see wasted food either so I make sure not to give them more than they will eat. They may go back for a second serving if they are still hungry after round one.

Yikes. My BF and I eat off each other's plate occasionally. Can't imagine that causing gagging. :o
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    storyjorie wrote: »
    Because it's usually comfort food, and it's food you probably haven't created for yourself/ordered for yourself in years. There's something exotic about the crusts of a grilled cheese sandwich when you don't eat those regularly. When my kids were little, I ate those teether biscuits--better than biscotti!And it seems like such a small amount--an 1/8 of a sandwich, a half of a cracker.

BUT, it adds up. I lost weight when I first began my self-imposed ban on kid leftovers, without any other diet or exercise changes. I don't eat them anymore.

I think you should occasionally splurge on kid food if you really like it. I have just figured out that I really like grilled cheese and oatmeal raisin cookies! Every now and then, I enjoy. And a hot, fresh, made-for-me version of kid food tastes really good, so now I don't crave their soggy disgards.

This is how my wife and I do grilled cheese...

d758763cbc794096d05a531fc5d88545.jpg

http://www.closetcooking.com/2011/12/mushroom-grilled-cheese-sandwich-aka.html

My wife usually makes a really awesome tomato soup to go along with it while I make the sammiches...

I make pretty awesome sandwiches myself. My son's friends in high school used to send money home with him to pay me to make their lunches LOL! (Can't do mushrooms though - ugh!!)
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    jennylea70 wrote: »
    It is so hard! I mean really, why would they not eat the last bites of pizza with the crust??? That's the best part! I will admit it is getting a little easier the more I stay focused on the weight loss. I've been adding everything in to my diary, every little bite. It's really annoying. :s But helps to see how much all those little left over bites are adding up to. (The little tasting bites when I'm cooking too!) :D

Maybe they aren't eating the last bites is because they are full.

This is good behavior
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    I'm not proud, right now I'd lick the floor if you dropped that yummy sammi in front of me :p
    This is how my wife and I do grilled cheese...

d758763cbc794096d05a531fc5d88545.jpg

• SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    jennylea70 wrote: »
    It is so hard! I mean really, why would they not eat the last bites of pizza with the crust??? That's the best part! I will admit it is getting a little easier the more I stay focused on the weight loss. I've been adding everything in to my diary, every little bite. It's really annoying. :s But helps to see how much all those little left over bites are adding up to. (The little tasting bites when I'm cooking too!) :D

Maybe they aren't eating the last bites is because they are full.

This is good behavior

Agreed. I am so incredibly happy that my three year old can stop half way through a cookie because he doesn't want to eat any more. I do not have that ability. I will always want to finish the cookie - even if I'm full. He seems to understand that there will be another cookie another day. I do not ever want to take that ability away from him, so I will not force him to clear his plate.