Why is it SO HARD not to eat kids' leftovers?

Options

Replies

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    The idea of eating off of another person's plate makes me want to gag. I don't care who it is. I don't like to see wasted food either so I make sure not to give them more than they will eat. They may go back for a second serving if they are still hungry after round one.

Yikes. My BF and I eat off each other's plate occasionally. Can't imagine that causing gagging. :o

Same here. We actually often share a plate to cut down dishes (like not dirty dishes if there are only two servings on a tray).
  • socalkay
    socalkay Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Did anyone mention dogs? Leftovers go to the dogs. No waste, no guilt, happy dogs!
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Serve smaller portions. If your kids are still hungry, give them more. Pour something disgusting on what's left over as someone else suggested.

If I'm in a restaurant and they bring me too much of something, I'll eat part of it and cover the rest with a napkin, or pile salt or something disgusting on it. If they ask me if I want to take what's left over home, I simply say NO.

You have a script in your head about wasting food from your childhood -- for help dealing with that and other self-talk that's getting in your way, see the book "Beck Diet Solution". It's based on solid cognitive behavioral principles (Judith Beck is the daughter of the "father" of cognitive behavioral therapy, Aaron Beck).

http://www.beckdietsolution.com

• vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    ...and they always have their hands down their pants scratching their butts and whatnot despite constant nagging from mom and dad. ...

You forgot the fingers constantly mining for nose gold.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    socalkay wrote: »
    Did anyone mention dogs? Leftovers go to the dogs. No waste, no guilt, happy dogs!

I did! :lol: And someone else wisely mentioned only after making sure there's nothing potentially harmful to Fido in the leftovers, like onions or garlic. Or bones that might splinter.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    The idea of eating off of another person's plate makes me want to gag. I don't care who it is. I don't like to see wasted food either so I make sure not to give them more than they will eat. They may go back for a second serving if they are still hungry after round one.

Yikes. My BF and I eat off each other's plate occasionally. Can't imagine that causing gagging. :o

Same here. We actually often share a plate to cut down dishes (like not dirty dishes if there are only two servings on a tray).

I would have no issue eating off my husband's plate. But when my kids were young.....Yuck. no way.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    even when i was fat i didnt eat my kids leftovers.

gross.
  • Windrunner666
    Windrunner666 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    staceyw37 wrote: »
    i just tell myself it's contaminated. ick

Agreed. I've never eaten from another's plate even if I live with them. Ew
  • Windrunner666
    Windrunner666 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I know all the helpful thoughts - especially "it's still wasted if you eat it, only now you need to burn it off as well" - but I still feel this powerful urge, like it really bugs me to see the wasted food and I feel like it won't be so bad if I eat it. I don't even want it! And it's only half an omelette, it's not like it's going to break the bank (though how me eating it would somehow balance the books is a puzzle anyway).

Anyone got any insight into this? I feel if I could understand this, I'd be on my way to understanding other situations where I eat without actually wanting to.

Get a dog and give it to them if no one wants, that way no food is ever wasted.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I haven't read everything but I assume I'll eat half the baby's food when I serve it to him and that's the size of what i make him...it's not a lot of food but I log it before I make anything else. My lunch is almost always half a peanut butter and honey sandwich and a cup of tea.
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    A problem I have never had so I can't help you. I don't let anyone eat off my fork, drink out of my glass, and I certainly am not touching anything someone else has already eaten off of. Nope, just can't do it
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    so many germaphobes here,
    you must know some cross contamination builds a healthy immune system.
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken Posts: 1,530 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Theo166 wrote: »

That depends upon what you are contaminating yourself with. Not all germs and bacteria will build you up. Some will tear you down. Further it's not necessarily about "germs" but rather the idea of eating food that has been touched by hands that have been scratching one's rear end, or crotch or digging in one's nose is just gross. The idea of eating another person's spit is also unappealing. I don't care if it's sterile or ridden with germs and bacteria. I don't want to eat it either way!
  • starryphoenix
    starryphoenix Posts: 381 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    This is one thing I will never understand. Eating leftovers in general has always bugged me. I'd never be able to eat anyone else's leftovers. That just seems so gross to me. My mom does it and I have no idea how she can do that. It just makes me want to gag. If you like it I don't care, but noooooot me. Totally not my thing.

I don't have kids, but I have nieces and nephews.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I would share food or drinks with my dh or dd but not other people. I'm not a germaphobe but sharing like that with other people would be kind of icky. Dh would not share food or drinks with dd although he does with me. A lot of us can be kind of funny about this.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,227 Member
    Options
    I know all the helpful thoughts - especially "it's still wasted if you eat it, only now you need to burn it off as well" - but I still feel this powerful urge, like it really bugs me to see the wasted food and I feel like it won't be so bad if I eat it. I don't even want it! And it's only half an omelette, it's not like it's going to break the bank (though how me eating it would somehow balance the books is a puzzle anyway).

Anyone got any insight into this? I feel if I could understand this, I'd be on my way to understanding other situations where I eat without actually wanting to.

Yuck. I have no desire to eat my son's left overs.
  • Theo166
    edited March 2017
    Options

That depends upon what you are contaminating yourself with. Not all germs and bacteria will build you up. Some will tear you down. Further it's not necessarily about "germs" but rather the idea of eating food that has been touched by hands that have been scratching one's rear end, or crotch or digging in one's nose is just gross. The idea of eating another person's spit is also unappealing. I don't care if it's sterile or ridden with germs and bacteria. I don't want to eat it either way!

Teaching the rugrats to wash the hands before the meal sounds like it should be the top priority

Also, most parents can't avoid touching their kids, some even take the risk of 'kissing' them!
    I just don't think germ transfer can be avoided.
    ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken Posts: 1,530 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options

Teaching the rugrats to wash the hands before the meal sounds like it should be the top priority

Also, most parents can't avoid touching their kids, some even take the risk of 'kissing' them!
    I just don't think germ transfer can be avoided.

You have never been around kids eh? Do you control what they do when your back is turned? No. You don't. Wash before the meal and then hope they aren't digging for gold or whatever else when you aren't looking. If you are able to stare them down from the start of the meal until the finish then by all means be my guest.

Also, I will bring you back to what I said about the germs. It's not about the germs so much as it is disgusting to consume the snot, fecal matter, ear wax or what ever else they may drag up from all the places they dig(for this please refer to the above paragraph). It's gross whether you account for germs or not. Also hugging or kissing a child is not the same as eating their spit, snot etc... as was mentioned. But you know that. Further, I won't eat off of someone's plate no matter who it is or how clean they are just because it's gross in my opinion.
  • Theo166
    Options
    Mysophobia, there are legit treatments available.
    Options
    Mysophobia, there are legit treatments available.

You hear what you want to hear. That is your choice.