Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

having a lot of trouble committing

13»

Replies

• zorbaru
    zorbaru Posts: 1,077 Member
    Yesterday was a better day Mostly good but a couple of little slips. Today I'm logging and have determination. My big vice is iced coffee. But I will get through this week without one and reward myself with a small one on the weekend. I normally get the big ones.
  • kq1981
    kq1981 Posts: 1,098 Member
    zorbaru wrote: »
    Yesterday was a better day Mostly good but a couple of little slips. Today I'm logging and have determination. My big vice is iced coffee. But I will get through this week without one and reward myself with a small one on the weekend. I normally get the big ones.

Don't think of it as "slips", think of it as a learning curve! You no iced coffee is your vice, maybe make your own with less calories? Great approach by the way, no restrictions, just smaller portions. Keep it up:-)
  • zorbaru
    Swapped out my morning cappuccino for a macchiato today (shot of coffee and 20ml of milk) so I'd call that a win.

Still needed a teaspoon of sugar tho but still better than a massive mug of milk with chocolate powder on top
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Swapped out my morning cappuccino for a macchiato today (shot of coffee and 20ml of milk) so I'd call that a win.

Still needed a teaspoon of sugar tho but still better than a massive mug of milk with chocolate powder on top

Congratulations on your win today!

All these changes you're making will add up, and boost your confidence. The more confidence you gain, the more motivated you will be to make further improvements.

It took me a month to drop the sugar from my coffee completely. When I first decided to do that, I would have to keep reminding myself, "THIS is not hard. Being overweight is hard." I switched to agave first, then gradually decreased it and added a bit of stevia. Cinnamon disguises the stevia taste pretty well during the transition, but now I'm used to the stevia. You can do whatever you make up your mind to do!

• zorbaru
    sorry mate, but looking at your profile it shows that you have never known what it is like to be overweight and crave crappy food all the time. in fact, you started lifting to gain weight not lose it. im not saying what you do is easy, far from it. putting on that much lean muscle mass would be a hard thing to do, but it is completely opposite of trying to lose weight.
  • crb426
    crb426 Posts: 661 Member
    7tpq0ofkrs4f.jpg

I paid $1.00 for 4oz of mixed fruit at 7/11.
    You can eat any foods just make better choices.

I can't focus on anything but your keyboard. Can I get you a wet wipe?
  • heiliskrimsli
    heiliskrimsli Posts: 735 Member
    It's a case of wanting to improve your health/body/life more than you want to eat crap or have an easy life.

For me it became about doing things that are hard not in spite of the difficulty but because of it.

That ended up being easy to stick to. It's actually at the point where it bothers me if I'm not pushing myself to do something that's harder than what I could do yesterday. At some point, and it didn't really take that long, that happened and the previous me is someone I can only vaguely recall.
  • zorbaru
    filbo132 wrote: »
    sorry mate, but looking at your profile it shows that you have never known what it is like to be overweight and crave crappy food all the time. in fact, you started lifting to gain weight not lose it. im not saying what you do is easy, far from it. putting on that much lean muscle mass would be a hard thing to do, but it is completely opposite of trying to lose weight.

You are right, I have never been overweight, but I was at the opposite side of the spectrum. I was very skinny and hardly ate during the day. While you struggle to be in a caloric deficit, I struggled eating over 3500 calories (when I used to be eating probably under 1500 calories before changing my life around) just to gain half a pound per week in order to gain the mass that I gained over the past 4 years. My struggle for food was just as bad as you, so do not say it's easier for me, because it wasn't. I have done both bulking and cutting, so I know the difficulties on both sides of the equation. I have currently lost 20 pounds just on diet alone (very little cardio, my weight loss comes from nutrition + I fast for 16 hours). You can come up with excuses, but remember one thing, your body doesn't care, it doesn't have feelings, it gets bigger if you overfeed it and it gets smaller if you don't. You can come up with excuses that this is hard, but the body doesn't give a damn, that's why I say it's only you who can change things. The excuses don't do anything for your body. We all have our struggles, but it's up to you to roll up the sleeves, stop buying the crappy food that contribute to your weight struggles and start doing something about it as of now.

i never said bulking was easy, in fact, i actually said it would be hard. what i did say is that it is the opposite to losing. which you would know because you also lose fat when cutting. however, losing fat for you is like going back to your old self.

id imagine that if i got enough weight down that i needed to "bulk" i would find that quite easy as it is what i have done naturally for the last 20 years. now im not refering to gaining lean muscle mass, as i wouldnt find that part easy at all. but eating enough food to gain the weight would not be an issue for me.

what i didnt like about your post was that you believe that you know what it is like to be a fat person that has to lose weight. certainly some of the things you have said are true in that we make excuses etc etc, but you basically said that if we dont do it, we dont want it enough. which i believe is crap. how many addicts out there relapse despite wanting to quit.
  • zorbaru
    i have mixed feelings about yesterday. I stayed within my calories for the day but i still feel i snacked too much last night.....

will see how we go today
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,447 Member
    i have mixed feelings about yesterday. I stayed within my calories for the day but i still feel i snacked too much last night.....

will see how we go today

You ate fine. You stayed within goal. You did well. You are making progress. You rock :)
  • zorbaru
    i have started a new thread that i will be keeping updated as i go. kind of a mini blog but as a forum thread.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10532128/thoughts-observations-and-questions-and-keeping-myself-accountable/p1?new=1
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    edited March 2017
    Take the guess work out of it. Pre-log the following day and pack ALL your meals and snacks for the day. If you didn't pack it, don't eat it. Then have supper pre-planned and prepped. Yes, some work on the front end, but well worth it to not wonder about your next meal.

And a small deficit to start.....
  • FreyasRebirth
    FreyasRebirth Posts: 514 Member
    Everyday living is a commitment. There is no reloading from your last save, everything is immediately sent to the cloud. Quitting your weight loss journey (again) will extend your unhealthiness and unhappiness into the finite years of your life. I don't think you'd like to grow old thinking of how much time you wasted giving up.

This is at least my fourth time starting, I'm not even sure how to check when I joined but I have messages from almost 2 years ago. I remember realizing in 2013 that I needed to lose weight. I'm finally, actually, really losing weight after starting in January. I can't say I enjoy it every day but I'm at a 64 day streak and down 8 lbs. I figure that I've come far enough that future-Me would kick my *kitten* if I quit now.
  • Jen_HealthCoach
    Jen_HealthCoach Posts: 4 Member
    @zorbaru The best way to make long- lasting change is to start slow. The absolute most imperative thing is to be kind and loving to yourself. These types of issues usually stem from deeper within rather than "knowing what to do." A few suggestions I have are:
    1. Make yourself accountable to another person. We have a less than 10% chance of succeeding in a new endeavor if we tell no one. If we tell one person, that chance goes up to 75%. If we tell 2 or more people, it goes up to 90%.
    2. Start small. Make one small change every week and keep building off of your small changes. Over one year, you'll be surprised how much of your lifestyle you have changed for the better.
    3. Find things that are fitness related that you enjoy. Don't force yourself to go to a group exercise class that you hate. Experiment and find things that you love and do those.
    4. Schedule your exercise and nutrition time. Make your fitness and nutrition just as important as your other obligations. You're more likely to commit to your routine if you put it in the calendar.
    5. Get help. Either have friends help you to stay accountable or hire a professional to guide you.

Hope this helps! :)
  • Sheisinlove109
    Sheisinlove109 Posts: 516 Member
    I have found that after about three weeks of forcing myself to log, go to the gym every single day, getting more sleep, more water consumption and eating better....again all forcing myself..,it became a habit. When I get frustrated I find myself saying...I just need to go to the gym!

Take a selfie daily post workout and a pic of your cardio machine. When I don't feel like going I look back at day 1 pic of me and machine and realize I totally got this.

I'll admit there were days at 11pm when I thought...oh I'll just go tomorrow...I got my butt off the couch for fear of disappointing myself. You'll see!