Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Spot Reducing...This Should Be Interesting...

Options

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I wish it was that easy!

This article seems to sum up spot reduction:

http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/spot-reduction/
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    You spot reduced water, not fat.

this ..

and not sure if OP is serious...
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    I'm getting a similar effect on my stomach right now which is making me look ridiculous. I wear compression pants or shorts with a wide elastic band right below my belly button when I workout 6 days a week for at least an hour. So, the effect is that I have big puffy stomach above the bellybutton and a tighter smaller stomach below the bellybutton. When I was heavier and wearing my bras too tight I was an inch or two smaller all around my bra line. Same thing. I doubt it is fat loss, but an explanation of what causes this would be interesting.

According to my tape measure and the mirror I am losing more in my hips and thighs than my waist and bust which I find odd since I've always been an extreme pear. I have been lifting heavy and walking or running here in the mountains for 6 months. And there's those compression pants again. I doubt I'll ever really know why this is happening.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    lmfao
  • AdamAthletic
    AdamAthletic Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Doesn't work but if believing it gives you the motivation to keep battling forward then I'm all for it.
    But, I'm science through and through (occupational hazard) and how the body uses it's stores of body fat removes any possibility of spot reduction.
  • brittyn3
    brittyn3 Posts: 481 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    If spot reduction worked... everyone would be wearing waist trainers. Goodness knows I'd be rocking that if it did! I have had many Facebook friends selling the It Works! wraps, but were still overweight. Everyone wants the magic trick, but it doesn't work. If it did - there would be much fewer fat people. Be careful what you insist works, It's a miracle! Someone who's never heard any of this before and has no idea what they're doing could be completely derailed and give up when the inevitable happens.

And as many legs/butt/back workouts I do - They should be chiseled statues of perfection by now. Not a work in progress, still.

Edit: holy heck batman and typos.. my bad. Still getting used to my mac's tiny keyboard :)
  • AdamAthletic
    edited March 2017
    Options
    brittyn3 wrote: »
    If spot reduction worked... everyone would be wearing waist trainers. Goodness knows I'd be rocking that if it did! I have had many Facebook friends selling the It Works! wraps, but were still overweight. Everyone wants the magic trick, but it doesn't work. If it did - there would be much fewer fat people. Be careful what you insist works, It's a miracle! Someone who's never heard any of this before and has no idea what they're doing could be completely derailed and give up when the inevitable happens.

And as many legs/butt/back workouts I do - They should be chiseled statues of perfection by now. Not a work in progress, still.

Edit: holy heck batman and typos.. my bad. Still getting used to my mac's tiny keyboard :)

This is true, there isn't a magic trick - it's just far easier for being to believe there is one.

It takes a while right...
    My MacBook Air actually has a bigger keyboard than my Mac at home!
  • brittyn3
    brittyn3 Posts: 481 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options

This is true, there isn't a magic trick - it's just far easier for being to believe there is one.

I know, isn't it insane?? I love it - just forget I have to slow down sometimes ... easy to get "finger" [tongue] tied.

Back on topic - it is easier to think/believe, but you're likely to fail if you aren't able to accept reality of the hard work it takes to transform yourself. Mentally, physically, emotionally.

ETA: If it were easy, I wouldn't want it so bad. I wouldn't look forward to my squat day as much as I do. And so on.
  • AdamAthletic
    Options

I know, isn't it insane?? I love it - just forget I have to slow down sometimes ... easy to get "finger" [tongue] tied.

Back on topic - it is easier to think/believe, but you're likely to fail if you aren't able to accept reality of the hard work it takes to transform yourself. Mentally, physically, emotionally.

ETA: If it were easy, I wouldn't want it so bad. I wouldn't look forward to my squat day as much as I do. And so on.

Totally with you on that.

The problem is, people are very quick to accept that easy options exist and take a lot longer to accept that it takes true dedication to get to where they really want to be!!

And hey, great work on the go-getter mentality.. That's exactly what it takes to succeed!
  • YaGigi
    YaGigi Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    It helps with water loss.
    A lot of girls now do body wraps (with anticellulite masks) during exercising. It helps to lose water and sweat and therefore to reduce cellulite.
    Though I can not stand that burning sensation so I'm not into it.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    YaGigi wrote: »
    It helps with water loss.
    A lot of girls now do body wraps (with anticellulite masks) during exercising. It helps to lose water and sweat and therefore to reduce cellulite.
    Though I can not stand that burning sensation so I'm not into it.

That's how their slick sales pitch goes, but water loss from those wraps is temporary and does absolutely nothing to reduce cellulite. There is no lasting benefit to increasing sweat production in a particular area of the body. Unfortunately, people who don't realize this will waste their money on those useless scam products.
  • twistedingenue
    twistedingenue Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I'm just here thinking that I'm a bellydancer and binding my belly that much is the last thing I'd want to do! A stocking sure, but a wrap? My undulations would suffer and I can't have that.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    You can try that Cool treatment where they chill sections of your fat for maybe an hour.
    After several treatments, it can kill off maybe 20% of the fat cells
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Whats your view point on this.

You can't spot reduce.