Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Spot Reducing...This Should Be Interesting...

Options
1234568»

Replies

• SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    Theo166 wrote: »
    You guys are disappointing.
    I gave an FDA approved example and didn't get a peep on it - Coolsculpting.

What I'd really like to see is a before/after where they only treated one side of the belly, so I could discount normal weightloss.

CS-Process(OPT)_1.jpg

I'd also like to read of someone trying this with popsicles from their fridge, forgoing the exorbitant fees.

:D:D
    I knew I'd get a giggle here somewhere!!!!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    YaGigi wrote: »
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    It helps with water loss.
    A lot of girls now do body wraps (with anticellulite masks) during exercising. It helps to lose water and sweat and therefore to reduce cellulite.
    Though I can not stand that burning sensation so I'm not into it.

That's how their slick sales pitch goes, but water loss from those wraps is temporary and does absolutely nothing to reduce cellulite. There is no lasting benefit to increasing sweat production in a particular area of the body. Unfortunately, people who don't realize this will waste their money on those useless scam products.

lol who's slick sales pitch?

Nobody sells anything to anybody.

I personally do it at home twice a week with natural oils and wraps and I can certainly see changes. My skin is tighter and much softer, cellulite is still there but less visible.

I can't do it during exercises, I find it too uncomfortable for my body. But I see many girls who wrap their legs and waistlines at my gym.
    Then you're sold into thinking it works. :D Or else why would you even bother doing it?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Options
    Whatever you guys say, I judge from my own experience. Wrapping does help me with losing extra water and using essential oils helps with my cellulite. :smile:

And yes, those girls in my gym do look terrific.
    That's called an anecdote. Kinda like when someone swears they saw Bigfoot or the Loch Ness monster. Great experience, but not actual evidence to prove it happened.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    It helps with water loss.
    A lot of girls now do body wraps (with anticellulite masks) during exercising. It helps to lose water and sweat and therefore to reduce cellulite.
    Though I can not stand that burning sensation so I'm not into it.

That's how their slick sales pitch goes, but water loss from those wraps is temporary and does absolutely nothing to reduce cellulite. There is no lasting benefit to increasing sweat production in a particular area of the body. Unfortunately, people who don't realize this will waste their money on those useless scam products.

lol who's slick sales pitch?

Nobody sells anything to anybody.

I personally do it at home twice a week with natural oils and wraps and I can certainly see changes. My skin is tighter and much softer, cellulite is still there but less visible.

I can't do it during exercises, I find it too uncomfortable for my body. But I see many girls who wrap their legs and waistlines at my gym.

You know it's the better skincare doing the work and not the wraps? When I'm more consistent with applying moisturiser etc to my legs and thighs they look 100 times better than when they resemble the desert. It's my first suggestion to anyone wanting to improve the appearance of cellulite.

I don't think it's just the skin care because I've always used skin care religiously. I did find improvement with my cellulite after I started using wrapping.
    I have hot shower and use Moroccan kessa to exfoliate. Then I use my oils (mixed oforange, pepper and mint essential oils with some basic oil like coconut) and wrap it up with plastic food wrappings. It can be pretty burning, skin gets red from blood circulation. I keep the wrap for 30-50 minutes, depends on what's going on on tv. Then I wash it off and moisturize my skin with a body cream, I really like Collistar now.
    You do realize that "inflamming" any area of the body will result in cells being more "swollen" (which in this case is just the dermis temporarily) and visually creating the effect of less cellulite? The cellulite NEVER LEFT. Just it's appearance. Kinda like putting on make up to hide a blemish.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• Rammer123
    Rammer123 Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    They say you cant do this...I say you can. I did it. I am just wondering what everyone else says about this...Now that I am back to exercising after stupid MOFO Lyme Im gonna wrap areas of my body that give me difficulty and start doing it again.

My arms are terrible. Before lyme I lost so close to my goal but arms were still big. Seemed no matter what I did weights even kettlebell didnt do any good. Then I read an article about arm fat and why its so hard to get rid of it. I understood then why they made that shake weight but then decided to then just use my kettle bell for it...I still wasnt getting the results i wanted...So I added wrapping to the mix but it was such a mess...So I got those things the basket ball players wear. Oiled up my arm with coconut oil to help condition the skin and pulled the arm sleeve on. I shook my kettle bell like no tomorrow and did arm rolls kind of in speed bag fashion. Just as before...the difference was night and day. I lost twice as much fat sometimes more on a good day Than before it was wrapped.

Did same thing with my abdomen...went to a thrift store got a small pair of stretch pants cut off the legs and oiled up my abdomen...shimmied into it. lol

I am a belly dancer. When I danced not doing this I didnt lose as many inches. When I pay special attention to my belly and shimmy like hell shaking anything and anything that is wrapped I do seem to lose more inches.

I dont go through a whole thing though like others...lol I make things easy. I like easy.

Whats your view point on this.

Not sure why everyone thinks you're so crazy for thinking and seeing results from this.

Increased heat causes your body to burn more calories in general, and also increases blood flow. When you have stubborn fat, its in an area your body does not get as much blood flow to. No one ever had stubborn fat on their hands or feet. We all know that you are going to get rid of a lot of extra water weight during the workout, and the immediate "look" of that body part post workout will return to normal afterwards, but I see no reason why the consistent increased blood flow would not help burn some fat in those areas.

I agree that it probably does help and over the amount of time that you talked about (3 months), you could see some results from this, albeit not extraordinary, I don't doubt that your body could have burned a little extra fat form those areas from the increased blood flow, oxygen and nutrient distribution to those areas.

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    rdridi12 wrote: »
    They say you cant do this...I say you can. I did it. I am just wondering what everyone else says about this...Now that I am back to exercising after stupid MOFO Lyme Im gonna wrap areas of my body that give me difficulty and start doing it again.

My arms are terrible. Before lyme I lost so close to my goal but arms were still big. Seemed no matter what I did weights even kettlebell didnt do any good. Then I read an article about arm fat and why its so hard to get rid of it. I understood then why they made that shake weight but then decided to then just use my kettle bell for it...I still wasnt getting the results i wanted...So I added wrapping to the mix but it was such a mess...So I got those things the basket ball players wear. Oiled up my arm with coconut oil to help condition the skin and pulled the arm sleeve on. I shook my kettle bell like no tomorrow and did arm rolls kind of in speed bag fashion. Just as before...the difference was night and day. I lost twice as much fat sometimes more on a good day Than before it was wrapped.

Did same thing with my abdomen...went to a thrift store got a small pair of stretch pants cut off the legs and oiled up my abdomen...shimmied into it. lol

I am a belly dancer. When I danced not doing this I didnt lose as many inches. When I pay special attention to my belly and shimmy like hell shaking anything and anything that is wrapped I do seem to lose more inches.

I dont go through a whole thing though like others...lol I make things easy. I like easy.

Whats your view point on this.

Not sure why everyone thinks you're so crazy for thinking and seeing results from this.

Increased heat causes your body to burn more calories in general, and also increases blood flow. When you have stubborn fat, its in an area your body does not get as much blood flow to. No one ever had stubborn fat on their hands or feet. We all know that you are going to get rid of a lot of extra water weight during the workout, and the immediate "look" of that body part post workout will return to normal afterwards, but I see no reason why the consistent increased blood flow would not help burn some fat in those areas.

I agree that it probably does help and over the amount of time that you talked about (3 months), you could see some results from this, albeit not extraordinary, I don't doubt that your body could have burned a little extra fat form those areas from the increased blood flow, oxygen and nutrient distribution to those areas.

Gonna need a source linking blood flow to fat loss.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Also.

38f4695df37d32c5c9ce573a1bdcc267.jpg

Quite a bit of bloodflow around there, mostly because your torso houses almost all your organs, yet that's the place where most people have the most stubborn fat.
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options

What I'd really like to see is a before/after where they only treated one side of the belly, so I could discount normal weightloss.

CS-Process(OPT)_1.jpg

I'd also like to read of someone trying this with popsicles from their fridge, forgoing the exorbitant fees.

The effect is not terribly pronounced, but it does work. You can accomplish the same thing through regular ice baths (skin temperature needs to be cooled to approximately 50 degrees F). The cool (har har) thing is that this actually produces apoptosis of white adipose tissue (i.e. kills fat, doesn't just "shrink" it). Anecdotally, I was able to get abdominal fat down to ~8%, with overall body fat of 11%, so the effect can be significant with time.
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    TL;DR: Read Lyle McDonald's stubborn fat protocol. There are several pharmacological interventions that can dramatically increase stubborn fat loss. For areas such as abs/hips/thighs there the issue is alpha1:alpha2 adrenergic receptor ratios, yohimbine will help (personally, I hate the stuff and find the side effects to be unbearable, but there it is). For subdermal fat where bloodflow is an issue, topical capsaicin helps increase bloodflow. Finally, beta blockers (rx only) can increase stubborn fat loss by accessing an unusual fat loss protocol (basically tricking the body into thinking you are dying of obesity, something only the severely obese would normally experience) that mobilizes fat globally.

That pretty much covers it (other than the ice/coolsculpting stuff above)... the thing is, unless you are already really lean, there is no point in subjecting yourself to this level of torture when diet/exercise will get faster results. If you are already quite lean and still have lingering issues, then maybe consider a more radical approach, but educate yourself first and do it with the knowledge and consent of your physician.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options

CS-Process(OPT)_1.jpg

The effect is not terribly pronounced, but it does work. You can accomplish the same thing through regular ice baths (skin temperature needs to be cooled to approximately 50 degrees F). The cool (har har) thing is that this actually produces apoptosis of white adipose tissue (i.e. kills fat, doesn't just "shrink" it). Anecdotally, I was able to get abdominal fat down to ~8%, with overall body fat of 11%, so the effect can be significant with time.

I'm starting to wonder if that has something to do with how I carry my weight. From 16-21, I was outside A LOT with less than adequate cold weather gear. Almost all of my visible fat is in my face/neck or visceral.