Apple Cider vinegar and Activated Charcoal

Options
13»

Replies

• Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Hail Gweneth. Long live Goop. Blessed be the Oz.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    amymbrush wrote: »
    I recently read that taking activated charcoal without medical supervision can be dangerous. They do administer in hospital for drug overdose, etc, but that is a life and death situation. I don't believe doctor's know everything, but I have seen numerous warnings out their about taking charcoal. I do use it in face masks and tooth powder, just decided not to take orally. I read recently that taking apple cider vinegar for weight loss is a little like trying to bail out a flooding boat with a teaspoon. It may help, but not enough to really make it worth it. I think when people drink the morning concoction you see, it is starting their metabolism up in the morning (usually people that don't eat breakfast) , which will help you lose weight, but you won't lose that type of weight consistently as your body adjusts.

Your body doesn't need something in the morning to start the metabolism.

Coffee. Just sayin'.

• _pi3_
    _pi3_ Posts: 2,311 Member
    Options
    Activated charcoal sounds like something doctors force feed you after overdosing on pills. In other words ewwwww
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,571 Member
    Options
    Maxina3777 wrote: »
    I don't know what everyone else is talking about, but I love apple cider vinegar, every time I've used it for weight loss it has worked, plus all of thee other benefits. I've actually studied it, I think it couldn't hurt to try. Also you should consult with a Nutritionist about Activated Charcoal, they might have a different opinion than the people who are against using it for weight loss.
    Anecdotes aren't evidence. Ask people who've seen Bigfoot and Lochness monster what their actual evidence is................................and the answer is because it's HAPPENED to them.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Activated charcoal sounds like something doctors force feed you after overdosing on pills. In other words ewwwww

You are right, that is exactly one of the uses for it. It is also used in filters for things like fish tanks to remove toxins that build up from fish waste and decaying plants. Not sure if the filters in things like Brita pitchers use activated charcoal or just regular charcoal to filter out chemicals in the water that give it a funny taste. ingesting it does nothing for a human body that has not overdosed. We have kidneys and a liver to do the work for us.

There is an old remedy called black salve that is made with activated charcoal. Used topically, it (reputedly) will help draw slivers out from the skin and work on stuff like skin tags and minor poison irritations like mosquito or spider bites. It is made with activated charcoal, some soothing/healing herbs, kaolin clay, and a carrier like shea butter. i have never used it but I have a recipe for it since I do make all my own body and hair care stuff (I am allergic to the formaldehyde released by most commercial products and I like controlling the scent)
  • _pi3_
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »

You are right, that is exactly one of the uses for it. It is also used in filters for things like fish tanks to remove toxins that build up from fish waste and decaying plants. Not sure if the filters in things like Brita pitchers use activated charcoal or just regular charcoal to filter out chemicals in the water that give it a funny taste. ingesting it does nothing for a human body that has not overdosed. We have kidneys and a liver to do the work for us.

There is an old remedy called black salve that is made with activated charcoal. Used topically, it (reputedly) will help draw slivers out from the skin and work on stuff like skin tags and minor poison irritations like mosquito or spider bites. It is made with activated charcoal, some soothing/healing herbs, kaolin clay, and a carrier like shea butter. i have never used it but I have a recipe for it since I do make all my own body and hair care stuff (I am allergic to the formaldehyde released by most commercial products and I like controlling the scent)

Can I get the recipe for the black salve? Also does it make your .. bowels black?
  • earlnabby
    Options

Can I get the recipe for the black salve? Also does it make your .. bowels black?

A salve would not do that. I imagine ingesting charcoal would since it just goes through the system.

Black Drawing Salve:

3 Tablespoons comfrey, calendula and plantain infused olive oil (see instructions below)
    2 teaspoons shea butter
    2 Tablespoons coconut oil
    2 Tablespoons Beeswax
    1 teaspoon Vitamin E oil
    2 Tablespoons Activated Charcoal Powder
    2 Tablespoons Kaolin Clay
    1 Tablespoon honey

Infused olive oil: Use 1 Tbl of each of the dried herbs and 1/2 c olive oil. Heat the herbs and olive oil in a double boiler. Leave on low/medium heat for about an hour until oil gets strong smelling and darker. Strain through cheesecloth for use.

Mix herb infused oil, shea butter, coconut oil, and beeswax in a glass dish. Microwave in 30 second bursts until melted. Add charcoal, Vitamin E oil, clay and honey. Mix well and pour into small jars or tins. Let cool until hardened.

To use: put generously on area and cover with gauze. Leave for a few hours up to a day.

Again, I have not used this but it is a common remedy in more "home remedy" type communities like the Amish
  • _pi3_
    Options

A salve would not do that. I imagine ingesting charcoal would since it just goes through the system.

Black Drawing Salve:

3 Tablespoons comfrey, calendula and plantain infused olive oil (see instructions below)
    2 teaspoons shea butter
    2 Tablespoons coconut oil
    2 Tablespoons Beeswax
    1 teaspoon Vitamin E oil
    2 Tablespoons Activated Charcoal Powder
    2 Tablespoons Kaolin Clay
    1 Tablespoon honey

Infused olive oil: Use 1 Tbl of each of the dried herbs and 1/2 c olive oil. Heat the herbs and olive oil in a double boiler. Leave on low/medium heat for about an hour until oil gets strong smelling and darker. Strain through cheesecloth for use.

Mix herb infused oil, shea butter, coconut oil, and beeswax in a glass dish. Microwave in 30 second bursts until melted. Add charcoal, Vitamin E oil, clay and honey. Mix well and pour into small jars or tins. Let cool until hardened.

To use: put generously on area and cover with gauze. Leave for a few hours up to a day.

Again, I have not used this but it is a common remedy in more "home remedy" type communities like the Amish

Oh interesting. Definitely don't have the means for anything like that haha
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options

Since the salve is intended for topical application only, no, it won't turn your poops black. If you ingest it, however, (no idea why you'd want to, though!) all bets are off. ;)
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options

Not to be confused with this horrid black salve:
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_salve

*shudder*
  • earlnabby
    Options

*shudder*

Forgot about that one. Yes, you want to avoid caustic black salve.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

*shudder*

This is actually what I was thinking of when it was first mentioned. Years ago there was a guy on YouTube who used the black salve on his facial skin cancer. It was like watching a train wreck, I couldn't look away, but was so enthralled by it at the same time. He did die at some point, and I believe (IIRC) that when he began using it he had been told that it was inoperable/untreatable. Do not go looking for this if you have a weak stomach in any way shape or form.
  • earlnabby
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

*shudder*

This is actually what I was thinking of when it was first mentioned. Years ago there was a guy on YouTube who used the black salve on his facial skin cancer. It was like watching a train wreck, I couldn't look away, but was so enthralled by it at the same time. He did die at some point, and I believe (IIRC) that when he began using it he had been told that it was inoperable/untreatable. Do not go looking for this if you have a weak stomach in any way shape or form.

I saw that and yes . . . icky. There are two types of black salve, black drawing salve (safe) and caustic black salve (extremely dangerous)
  • Seefitt970
    Seefitt970 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Okay here's my personal truth about apple cider vinegar and its weight loss benefits. I haven't heard of charcoal so no clue on that. I have been drinking apple vinegar cider with water every morning for 2 months. I did lose weight but I was also working out 5x a wk and eating clean. I stopped drinking it out of laziness and guess what, Im still losing weight because I continued working out and eating clean. I finally hit my goal last week and i had stopped drinking cider for weeks. I think there are certain health benefits to it like helping absorb nutrients and moving your waste so your body can perform better when youre dieting but you wont lose weight if all youre doing is drinking that stuff.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

*shudder*

I've also seen that video, and more just like it.

It's definitely not for the weak stomached individual.