"You can eat whaver you want, as long as you eat at a deficit" is true, but it's garbage advice.

Options

Replies

• MontyMuttland
    MontyMuttland Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »
    Emily3907 wrote: »
    "For things to change, you have to change." (Jim Rohn, 1930-2009).
    This is a fundamental truth and it applies to anyone trying to lose weight and keep it off every bit as much as the formula stating that to lose weight you must burn more calories every day than you consume.
    I was obese for most of my adult life, a serial yo-yo dieter who would try this and that diet, lose some weight and then put it back on again plus more.
    The reason I kept failing is actually very simple. I didn't change. I just did what the diets said I had to do, but they didn't teach me anything. I didn't learn any new eating habits.
    And this is what the OP is getting at with his post.
    If you tell an obese person they can eat what they want providing they stay under their daily calorie allocation, you are just sugar-coating the truth to make it easier to swallow.
    The simple truth is, if you eat nutritionally poor foods as part of a calorie controlled eating plan, then the weight you lose won't just be fat. Sure, you will lose some fat, but some of the weight you will lose is going to be the good part of your body (your muscle tissue, your organs, your skeleton, etc).
    That is the price you pay for eating nutritionally poor foods. They don't contain enough good stuff to maintain the important parts of your body.
    If you are already eating less food to stay under your calorie allocation, then it's even more important than ever that the food you eat had high nutritional value - what the hell else is your body going to use to sustain itself?
    So here is the real deal: if you want to lose weight and keep it off, better start learning some new eating habits.
    New eating habits means making food choices that are nutrient rich.
    Does it mean you can never eat another burger? Of course not, but you'd do far better learning how to make a decent burger yourself rather than eating the total non-food they serve at fast food outlets.
    "For things to change, you have to change."
    Embrace it, do it.
    During 2016 I lost 9 stone (126lb) and now I'm happily maintaining my weight under 11stone.
    I did that by changing my relationship with food and learning new eating habits.
    I don't eat pizza anymore. Why? Because it's nutritionally poor food.
    But I make a mean burger meal, a steak meal and a spaghetti bolognese meal all for less than 500 calories each.
    I learned how to eat well whilst consuming less.
    That's what this is about, and the rest can be summed up like this:
    "Suck it up or stay fat!".

I don't know how things are done elsewhere but they serve food in fast food restaurants here.

How is pizza nutritionally poor? It's just bread, sauce, cheese and you can add veggies and make your own. I never understand this argument.

Agreed. My homemade pepperoni pizza has 524 cals, 51 carbs, 25 fat and 27 protein in 2 slices. I consider that a pretty good macro ratio. Add veggies to that, even better.

You both illustrate my point perfectly.
    If your average pizza actually was just bread, cheese, veggies then you'd be some way to having a bit of nutrition - but they're not.
    Try reading the ingredients list on some pizza packaging, you'll see the list of stuff going in them is somewhat longer. Then read the nutritional information about those pizzas and see just how "healthy" they are.
    The home-made pizza does sound a ton better, specially the amount of protein there compared to ready-made ones. But I'll make a stab at two slices being what, two sixths of the pizza maybe?
    I've been a fat person remember, fat people don't eat two slices of pizza, they eat whole pizzas. And so do most ordinary people as well. Do you order half pizzas or quarter pizzas in a restaurant? Nope, didn't think so.
    So yeah, two-sixths of a pizza for 524 calories ain't bad, but that's knocking on the door of 1600 calories for the whole pizza.
    And guess who is eating the whole pizza?
    Yep, just about everyone...

Just...wow. Fat people eat whole pizzas, not two slices, huh? And somehow packaging pizza sucks all the nutrients out of it. Because there's a long list of ingredients. Huh. So you know what we all eat, how we eat it and what made us fat. Huh.

I've posted this before, but I think it bears repeating here. My diet is heavy on frozen meals, protein/energy bars, and other unnatural foods. MFP records the macro and micro nutrients they contain. Guess what - they add up pretty good at the end of the day. I lost 30 lbs because I was on the edge of requiring statins and blood pressure meds. I'm no longer anywhere near that state and I haven't changed my diet at all, just the amounts I eat. Like wine or dessert after dinner, not both. I eat what I like, which is food.

Actually I do know what made you fat.
    You ate too much and didn't move enough.
    But that's the same for all of us.

It's a shame that the focus here is mainly on pizza. I pointed out that I don't eat pizza anymore and stated that the reason is because it's nutritionally poor.
    That's a generalisation of course, but it's also a fact that most pizzas out there are nutritionally poor.
    Whether you believe it or not is totally up to you. You won't read many package labels that say something other than the pizza is high in calories/carbs, high in salt, high in fat and low in protein.
    Packaging a pizza doesn't suck the nutrition out of it, it was simply lacking in the first place.

The message I hoped to convey about food choices is that people want to question what they are eating, check it out to see if what they believe about it is actually true.
    Then make some changes.
  • Duchy82
    Duchy82 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    OMG this thread is just going around and around in circles I'M OUT
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Emily3907 wrote: »
    "For things to change, you have to change." (Jim Rohn, 1930-2009).
    This is a fundamental truth and it applies to anyone trying to lose weight and keep it off every bit as much as the formula stating that to lose weight you must burn more calories every day than you consume.
    I was obese for most of my adult life, a serial yo-yo dieter who would try this and that diet, lose some weight and then put it back on again plus more.
    The reason I kept failing is actually very simple. I didn't change. I just did what the diets said I had to do, but they didn't teach me anything. I didn't learn any new eating habits.
    And this is what the OP is getting at with his post.
    If you tell an obese person they can eat what they want providing they stay under their daily calorie allocation, you are just sugar-coating the truth to make it easier to swallow.
    The simple truth is, if you eat nutritionally poor foods as part of a calorie controlled eating plan, then the weight you lose won't just be fat. Sure, you will lose some fat, but some of the weight you will lose is going to be the good part of your body (your muscle tissue, your organs, your skeleton, etc).
    That is the price you pay for eating nutritionally poor foods. They don't contain enough good stuff to maintain the important parts of your body.
    If you are already eating less food to stay under your calorie allocation, then it's even more important than ever that the food you eat had high nutritional value - what the hell else is your body going to use to sustain itself?
    So here is the real deal: if you want to lose weight and keep it off, better start learning some new eating habits.
    New eating habits means making food choices that are nutrient rich.
    Does it mean you can never eat another burger? Of course not, but you'd do far better learning how to make a decent burger yourself rather than eating the total non-food they serve at fast food outlets.
    "For things to change, you have to change."
    Embrace it, do it.
    During 2016 I lost 9 stone (126lb) and now I'm happily maintaining my weight under 11stone.
    I did that by changing my relationship with food and learning new eating habits.
    I don't eat pizza anymore. Why? Because it's nutritionally poor food.
    But I make a mean burger meal, a steak meal and a spaghetti bolognese meal all for less than 500 calories each.
    I learned how to eat well whilst consuming less.
    That's what this is about, and the rest can be summed up like this:
    "Suck it up or stay fat!".

I don't know how things are done elsewhere but they serve food in fast food restaurants here.

How is pizza nutritionally poor? It's just bread, sauce, cheese and you can add veggies and make your own. I never understand this argument.

Agreed. My homemade pepperoni pizza has 524 cals, 51 carbs, 25 fat and 27 protein in 2 slices. I consider that a pretty good macro ratio. Add veggies to that, even better.

You both illustrate my point perfectly.
    If your average pizza actually was just bread, cheese, veggies then you'd be some way to having a bit of nutrition - but they're not.
    Try reading the ingredients list on some pizza packaging, you'll see the list of stuff going in them is somewhat longer. Then read the nutritional information about those pizzas and see just how "healthy" they are.
    The home-made pizza does sound a ton better, specially the amount of protein there compared to ready-made ones. But I'll make a stab at two slices being what, two sixths of the pizza maybe?
    I've been a fat person remember, fat people don't eat two slices of pizza, they eat whole pizzas. And so do most ordinary people as well. Do you order half pizzas or quarter pizzas in a restaurant? Nope, didn't think so.
    So yeah, two-sixths of a pizza for 524 calories ain't bad, but that's knocking on the door of 1600 calories for the whole pizza.
    And guess who is eating the whole pizza?
    Yep, just about everyone...

It may be your experience that most people are eating an entire pizza, but I'm skeptical if this is actually true. I realize it's anecdotal, but when we have pizza-based events at work, most of my co-workers seem to have 2-4 pieces.

This is a good point and consistent with my experience too.
  • HG210
    HG210 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    HG210 wrote: »
    When did I say that???? What are you talking about???? In no way was my message cryptic. It was do what makes you happy. IF you think that it is because of your own insecurities.

Do what makes me happy?? You mean like literally do whatever makes me happy?!?. Well that sounds completely irresponsible and inappropriate advice. Who doesn't enjoy doing extremely dangerous and harmful things? Who doesn't enjoy eating only junk food? This is terrible advice!! Why do you hate me??

Hate is a strong word but that is what I mean. That is exactly what I mean. Do what makes you happy. If you don't know as an adult not to do something that is harmful to you, well that is one you.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    I wonder if all those natural childbirth moms ever received their medal in the mail.

This entire thing made me LOL. The cloth vs. natural childbirth thing is so real! Even between my husband and I this argument rages. He hated natural childbirth (we had Bradley births) because the nurses were mean to him when they saw him trying to talk me through things and reminding me that I had specifically told him no drugs. He said they treated him like a mean ogre. LOL! After #3 he said never again would he coach me through a natural birth unless it was at home.

But no, I never did get my medal for any of our natural childbirths. I did however have 3 different nurses come in and literally bow down at the end of my hospital bed after having our 9.12 boy naturally. ;) That was just plain humorous and I'll accept that in lieu of my medal. :D;)

Ouch.
  • geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I am astonished that someone can eat a whole pizza. I have never known anyone that did this.
This discussion has been closed.