Obese babies

Options

Replies

• ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    My child was measured at the 125 percentile within weeks of her birth.

FYI by definition no one can ever be at "125th percentile".

haha.. tell that to my sons peditirican! that's where my son was. Just means my son was 25% taller then the highest average height//weight of kids his size.

Time for a new pediatrician and for you to brush up on basic math. 25% taller than the "highest' "average" dude....

The MD might have worded it wrong, but all this is telling me when he plotted the child on the CDC growth chart she plotted outside the curve. She's just on the far end of the bell curve.
  • DragonSquatter
    DragonSquatter Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    The level of statistical fail in this thread is depressing.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    This is pretty ridiculous...OP was about a 10 month old...I've never seen an "obese" 10 month old. Obese children, yes...an obese baby, no. My first boy was tiny...was born tiny at around 6 Lbs...he's still tiny. My second boy is a haus...he came into this world at over 10 Lbs (soooo obese...even though he hadn't had a lick of food in his life). His name is Henry...at 12 months he's around 34 Lbs...he's not obese in the least...he's just a big boy, and tall for his age too. That's why we call him "Hank the Tank."
  • niftyafterfifty
    niftyafterfifty Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Be kind when you see an obese child; sometimes, you have no idea what the circumstances are. I am aware of a precious 2 year old who is obese through no fault of her parents. She has inoperable cysts in her brain and they have run every test imaginable to try to figure out the weight gain and correct it. This child's mother is subjected to angry, hostile looks whenever she is in public with her.
  • Lutah7
    Lutah7 Posts: 45
    Options
    The level of statistical fail in this thread is depressing.

Entirely correct. Statistically speaking we can make almost any number represent what we want it to. That is the very reason we use mean, median, mode and average. Also a lot of assumptions being made based on no first hand knowledge whatsoever.
  • Pangea250
    Pangea250 Posts: 965 Member
    Options

haha.. tell that to my sons peditirican! that's where my son was. Just means my son was 25% taller then the highest average height//weight of kids his size.

Yikes, I don't think so. Percentages and percentiles are 2 totally different things.
  • arains89
    arains89 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Good grief. This whole mess is ridiculous. OP talked about a 10 month old BABY!! Babies cannot be obese. That is ridiculous. Children can be, yes, but a baby? No. Some babies are big others are small it all tends to even out in the end unless when they are old enough to develop eating habits you teach them bad ones and they get no exercise. Again, this is well after their first year of life. Babies need some pudge. And imagine if all you did was eat sleep crap yourself and lay/roll/maybe crawl a little. You'd be pretty damn fat too.
  • megalin9
    megalin9 Posts: 771 Member
    Options

Time for a new pediatrician and for you to brush up on basic math. 25% taller than the "highest' "average" dude....

The MD might have worded it wrong, but all this is telling me when he plotted the child on the CDC growth chart she plotted outside the curve. She's just on the far end of the bell curve.

Bam
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I fear now a new mother comes on here reads this and thinks her baby is over weight puts it on a "diet", that it my might become over weight because it's on the high side on the charts!!!! :sick: No wonder we have so many problems with eating disorders in this country!!

In my 44 years I have never seen a baby, under the age of 2, obesity!!!! :noway:
  • tehboxingkitteh
    tehboxingkitteh Posts: 1,574 Member
    Options
    What pisses me off are the obese toddlers and you still see parents feeding their children crap. Im sorry but it is their damn fault and yes I am judging them. Poor kids.
    Agree. I once saw a 1 year old drinking coke out of a baby bottle...Really???
    My mom did that to my daughter. I about beat her for being stupid.

I understand with the older kids, and feeding them crap while overweight. But the OP is griping about a 10 month old, and acting as if she can deduce how much that kid is going to weight 2-8 years from now because of the baby's current weight.
  • StacyReneO
    StacyReneO Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I was in the checkout line at a grocery store yesterday with my daughter and granddaughter yesterday, and the checkout girl asked how old the baby was. When told she had just turned a year, she was shocked at how 'tiny' she was. She weighed in at 18 lbs and 28 inches tall at her dr appt that morning. She is a healthy and active little girl with chubby cheeks and the obligatory little leg rolls. She is NOT skinny by any means,

The check out girl then told us that her son was 10 months old and weighed 32 pounds!! Oh my goodness! I was in shock. That is the size of a 5 yr old!

Has this become the norm for babies today? My granddaughter is only in the 10% in height and weight. She still outweighs both her mother and my other daughter when they were a yr old. (16 and 15 lbs).

The pediatrician is not concerned at all with the baby's size, as she is perfectly healthy. She says the charts are inflated today because of all the obese babies that are throwing off the curve.

I just cannot imagine how a 10 month old baby can weigh 32 pounds. Granted, the mother was not a small woman, and she described the father as being built like a Sumo wrestler.
    But what are they feeding this child to be able to gain this much weight? She even said the child was short, like his father, so he doesn't have extra height to account for it.

A day later and I still cannot get this baby off of my mind. He will hit 100 pounds by the time he is 3 at this rate, and will probably be diabetic by 8 or 10.

I don't mean to start a fat-shaming thread for a baby, so please don't shoot me. Am I alone at being shocked at this??

ETA, The mother said that he was actually walking, which is even more amazing. So maybe he will slim down a bit now that he is mobile. I sure hope so.

Actually, having two 5-6 yr old I would say a 32 lb 5 yr old would be underweight. MIne were 39-41 lbs at age 5 and not at all heavy, both very active sports players. That being said I think your daughter is right at the exact recommended weight for her age 18-20 lbs. But every kid is different - my son was 25 lbs at a year and I wouldn't say he was obese or out of range for his age.
  • Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    This is why I run an extreme boot camp for babies.

"C'MON, run it off, BABY", I shout at them. They're so lazy.
  • hersheythecat
    hersheythecat Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Every child is definitely different. My kids eat the exact same things but my son is obviously heavier than my daughter. At the age of 10, my daughter can still wear xs/4-5 bathing suits. Granted the bottoms are getting a bit short but she's just a very small frame. My son though has a larger frame.

I would agree though that 32 pounds on a 10 month old is a bit much. There is a poor girl at my daughter's gymnastics place who is probably 3 and I just feel sorry for her. I would not be surprised if she weighed as much as my daughter. I look at kids like that and just shake my head and want to ask the parents "did you not see her gaining weight". Some people just don't see it because it's gradual. At that point, it's also the doctor's responsibility for not intervening more.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options

My son was at that level for years.. so however you want to word it. Always the tallest in his grade, until last year there was one kid taller then him (and I think that child was a year older) and he's taller then almost his entire boyscout troop including the grown men and that's 80 + males. (counting adults and kids). You don't like the wording whatever. My son was in the 125 percentile for height and weight his entire childhood. He might be a little lower now, but he's still up there, they just don't plot him anymore. Although if I really wanted to I could go do it myself. (but i don't really care).

Maybe i should have said 25% taller/heavier thent eh expected range for a child his age?? Would that have the satisified the masses???

The point is.. he wasn't/isn't fat, he wasn't/isn't obese, he was/is healthy. You can't go by size alone.. especially when they are babies.
  • dennik15
    dennik15 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I find this whole thread a little sad. Most posts seem to be parents justifying why their children were fat. Everyone seems to have overweight children with some perfectly reasonable and healthy reason for being overweight. But, what are the odds of that? And what has changed in the past 40 years that caused all these special circumstances? Other than our perspective on weight, I mean.

I disagree. I don't think that most of us are justifying why our kids were fat, we don't think they were. Mine were chubby as infants and are healthy athletic adolescents. What we're trying to say is that babies grow and gain at different rates, that's why there are ranges for what is healthy.

That aside, I 100% agree that childhood obesity is something we all need to be concerned about. I would just suggest that we not judge it based on what a child weighs at 10 months as that can change dramatically once they start running around.

What I read is a lot of justification. My child measured X overweight but s/he wasn't really overweight... My child was overweight but genetics caused it... my child was "chubby" but .... but....

Just seems like a lot of special kids congregated together. But I'm not judging. Just remarking on the remarkable.

Fair enough. There're likely a lot of excuses made for overweight children in this world. You saw it here, in the comments, I did not. I saw parents stating that their infant could have been considered fat by some people, fell within the pediatric acceptable ranges, and grew up to be happy, healthy, and fit.
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    This thread is mildly ridiculous.

A 10 month old would be barely weaned - I guess the earliest you take them off the breast is 6 mos, my daughter was weaned at almost exactly 12mos.

Babies should be fed ad-lib, thats why they cry.

It is, what we would call in farming a 'good do-er' nothing more.
  • this_life_is_my_life
    Options
    <----my son was born 6lbs 4oz and 19inches long...by 2 months old he was 12lbs..babies dont normally double their birth weight til about 6 months. my son was a chunky monkey!! he was adorable and healthy, fed on formula and was on baby cereal at almost 3 months because he was just always hungry, granted he had acid reflux and would often spit up after eating. when he turned one he was already 31 inches tall and weighed in at 29lbs. he is now two (in March) and is over 3 feet tall (38in) and weighs about 31lbs and is perfectly healthy when you can see how tall he is. he is in the 96% of the stupid charts for his age range and always has been. he slimmed down a lot when he started walking because he is growing like a weed...i think some peoples ideas about obese and not are really dramatized.

if the womans pediatrician felt the baby had a problem, im sure she knew it. apparently she didnt think anything was wrong or hadnt been told anything was wrong because she thought YOUR children/grandchildren were UNDERweight. everyone has their own ideas of normal like it or not. my son's pediatrician always told me not to worry he would slim down when he started walking and he did. he hit 29lbs at about 10mnths old but stayed there for many months after turning one except for a couple ounces here and there. i was a concerned parent, but was assured by his DOCTOR he would be okay even though I felt he was big for his age..and he was right. this lady might have been in the same situation and you mistook it in your own ideas of "normal"
  • hungryhobbit1
    hungryhobbit1 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Not alarming at all, for a baby. My niece was so chubby that her parents had to remember to clean underneath her fat rolls. Both of her parents were skinny vegans who biked and walked everywhere. She got those fat rolls from breastfeeding, almost exclusively. She has never been overweight since.

It's much more alarming to see a very obese 3, 4, or 5 year old.
  • julesassid
    julesassid Posts: 49
    Options
    I am shocked by your reaction, not by a fat baby!

Some babies grow in spurts, getting fat for a while, then growing tall. That's how my son is - he weighed just about 30 lbs at one year old. I remember because I thought it was so funny that the car seat guide said the child had to be both 20 lbs and one year old to turn them around - we were well past that 20 lb mark! At 6 years old, he was up to 60 lbs, and looking chunky. Now 1 1/2 years later, he weighs the same, but has grown more than 3 inches in height. The clothes I bought him when he was 6 are too big around!

My daughter, on the other hand, is petite like a little fairy. She is 4 1/2 and weighs only 34 lbs. They eat the same foods, and in similar quantities - this is just body chemistry at work.

One fat baby is not a symbol of... well.. anything really. It's just a cute little bundle of love :smile:

Exactly! Sounds just like my son and he is not fed treats, junk food or juice regularly. He eats more fruit and vegetables than any kids I'm around. That's just how some children grow! Keep them fed properly, active and not in front of a TV and they will be fine.
  • KY2022runner
    KY2022runner Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Seen it before. poeple introduce foods like soda to babies. I remember a family ordering 2 kids meals and a dessert just for their 5 year old. She was already morbidly obese and her parents were very overweight as well. it made me feel bad for her, because what chance does she really have if she eats so terrible from the beginning?

Just look at the rising rate of juvenile diabetes.
This discussion has been closed.