Obese babies

Options

Replies

• MagicalLeopleurodon
    MagicalLeopleurodon Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I was a very small baby/toddler, ny husband and nieces/nephew were FAT. I mean...rolls in place of knees and elbows. HUGE. We joke that they were born with all the bodyfat they would ever have. Hubby is 5'11" and 137#. Nieces are ages 5-13, all very tall and as big around as a toothpick. Nephew is 12, 4'9", and maybe 85#. Hopefully her fat baby will grow into their body :)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I find this whole thread a little sad. Most posts seem to be parents justifying why their children were fat. Everyone seems to have overweight children with some perfectly reasonable and healthy reason for being overweight. But, what are the odds of that? And what has changed in the past 40 years that caused all these special circumstances? Other than our perspective on weight, I mean.

I disagree. I don't think that most of us are justifying why our kids were fat, we don't think they were. Mine were chubby as infants and are healthy athletic adolescents. What we're trying to say is that babies grow and gain at different rates, that's why there are ranges for what is healthy.

That aside, I 100% agree that childhood obesity is something we all need to be concerned about. I would just suggest that we not judge it based on what a child weighs at 10 months as that can change dramatically once they start running around.

What I read is a lot of justification. My child measured X overweight but s/he wasn't really overweight... My child was overweight but genetics caused it... my child was "chubby" but .... but....

Just seems like a lot of special kids congregated together. But I'm not judging. Just remarking on the remarkable.
  • mfpseven
    mfpseven Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    So I think the question has been answered with all of the rage posts about people having "perfectly healthy" over-weight babies, yes it is becoming a trend and I would go out on a limb here and tie that to the number of over-weight users that have chimed in and say that it can def be correlated to the parents eating habits.

Thank you guys for weighing in with examples of your little ones rather than throwing a fit about OP being nosy. I sincerely hope that this woman teaches her child to eat properly before he has to deal with the heartache of being an over-weight kid/teen/adult.

I very much think that we are becoming too accepting of obesity in this country(USA) and one of the best ways to combat it is to not pass it on to the next generation.
  • ChildrenCryinNCoffee
    ChildrenCryinNCoffee Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Are you seriously calling my 32 lb. 40 in. 3 year old obese? Go to medical school lady.
  • DragonSquatter
    DragonSquatter Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    My almost-6 month old is 22 lbs. He's in the 95th percentile for his weight, but also for his height and head circumference. He's just a big boy.

jaqen-deal-with-it-game-of-thrones.gif

All the babies in our family have been very big then grew up to be thin (especially my brothers who are all athletes now).

I'd also like the point out that there's quite a difference between a chunky baby and a toddler or young child who is overweight or obese.
  • Ogirl07
    Ogirl07 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I think that for some babies it is what their parents are feeding them, but for others its just genetics! For instance, my cousin was severely obese as a baby, up until he hit puberty, and now he is naturally lean. My nephew also is a little chubber, but has leaned out now that he's walking, and more active. Both boys ate very balanced, healthy foods. My daughter is "skinny" in that at 5 years old, she is 43 inches tall and weighs 41lbs. You can see her ribs. However it is a struggle to get her to eat anything healthy other than yogurt or bananas!!

I think the main thing is unless you know the people and that they are feeding their children garbage and not teaching them good habits, don't judge, we are all different.
  • lauren3382
    lauren3382 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Every baby is different. I've had a kid on each end of the spectrum. My daughter was always on the low end and still is to this day, but is perfectly normal and healthy. My son was 16lbs at 8 weeks old and was so big he wasn't on the charts (his birth weight was 7.7lbs, so very average). Both were exclusively breastfed for the first year, it's simply the difference in my two children. Even though my two are 3 years apart they can practically share shoes and clothes.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    This thread... wow :noway:
  • SoftasRaine
    SoftasRaine Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    my daughter is 12 and is 62lbs. she's the tiniest kid i know so far, she's even the shortest in her grade. she eats everything in sight but has always been on the low end. she's the same weight as my friends' 3 year old. her 5 year old is 75lbs.
    as long as the kids are healthy, they're ok. if not, get creative with some great food options.
  • vickiessecret
    vickiessecret Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I would say that for only 10 months, 30lbs is pretty big, depending on how tall the baby is. My son, is Huge & Not fat/chubby at all, he was 26lbs 12oz at 12 months & 35 inches tall. He's almost 14months & his weight is still 26lbs, he is super tall. My niece is 15months, has been walking for like 4 months & is very short & about 35lbs, she actually has cellulite on her belly & legs. The dr told them, she is very overweight, but they don't think so, it's pretty sad...because they are letting her start to her life...being overweight & the mom has been very heavy forever..So there's no talking to them, it seems they thinks it's normal.
  • SRB8710
    SRB8710 Posts: 90
    Options
    I get what you are trying to say. However, I don't think this is a real issue until the child is over three and can start opening their own food. Then a child needs to be aware or over eating or being told no, whatever the case may be. I do think it is a bit harsh to judge a baby. My child is 3. She is 42 inches tall and weighs 33 pounds. She is tall and lean but when she was a baby she was chubby and had fat rolls like the rest of babies. Yes, babies grow differently. I do not personally give my child juice or chocolate because I want her to learn healthy treats first. I also don't judge what other parents do with their own children.:huh:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    This is a bunch of horsesh*t. My daughter was one of those “obese” babies you speak of. She weighed 28 pounds at 12 months and has been nearly off the charts in weight and height (although proportioned) ever since. In fact right now she is almost three and weighs 42 pounds. Is she fat? NO! Is her doctor concerned? NO! She is tall and sturdy. She doesn't have rolls of fat hanging off of her by any means. She wears a size 6 jean and we don’t have to roll the bottoms up. Wanna know why she is so big??? .....because I breast fed her for 15 months and because we are tall/big people She didn't eat candy or junk to get so big although a lollypop here and there certainly didn't cause her to become so large. Everyone is different so please stop judging other people’s children when you have no idea why they are the size they are. Some people are petite and some are not. That is why we have percentage charts and not a simple mold for everyone to fit into.

Obesity takes both height and weight into consideration. A child could not be both obese and have proportionately acceptable height and weight.
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    So I think the question has been answered with all of the rage posts about people having "perfectly healthy" over-weight babies, yes it is becoming a trend and I would go out on a limb here and tie that to the number of over-weight users that have chimed in and say that it can def be correlated to the parents eating habits.

Thank you guys for weighing in with examples of your little ones rather than throwing a fit about OP being nosy. I sincerely hope that this woman teaches her child to eat properly before he has to deal with the heartache of being an over-weight kid/teen/adult.

I very much think that we are becoming too accepting of obesity in this country(USA) and one of the best ways to combat it is to not pass it on to the next generation.

Another example of someone not understanding how babies GROW. A baby fed, on demand with breast milk or formula, is not OBESE.
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    i think other factors come into play. all 5 of my kids are at healthy weights, however, some are far more heavier than the other. i have a daughter going into 7th grade who weighs in at about 60 pounds. she has always been very petite and short. she is very healthy, and her ped is not concerned a bit. i have another daughter going into 5th grade who is about 5 inches taller than my 7th grade daughter, and weighs 95 pounds. she is very muscular, tall, and seems to have a much larger frame than my other one. she is by no means, "fat"... she is actually very fit and is my jogging buddy. i think height, build, and genetics have alot to do with weight, not just "fat" or "thin"...
  • MeadowSong
    MeadowSong Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    If people stick a bottle in that baby's mouth every time it's open, that's what will happen. But also there is a big difference in birth weights and that will affect their size at one year. But with my firstborn, who was 9 lbs 15 oz at birth (no, I am not and was not diabetic--he was not fat, just big. And my husband is like 5'10"! But big babies run in both our families) was a chubby 24 lbs at five months. My pediatrician and I decided it was partly because of his spitting up. He spit up so much, (and yes, we tried feeding him less and every thing else that can be tried to help the spitting up) that we think he was not getting all the food value out of his food and therefore was extra hungry. He quit spitting up at six months and while he remained at the 90th percentile for weight, he was also at the 90th percentile for height. Dr said when he was great. He went on through childhood without any remaining pudginess. I had an acquaintance, though, who could give her 6-10 month baby four full bottles between noon and five pm (if she was getting anything near that hungry, she needed food not more milk--as a rule, give slight babies more milk and offer more solids to the ones with rolls on the little thighs). Not thinking that baby was that hungry. She was fat and got fatter as she got older--was pudgy as long as I knew her. But her mother sure loved to feed her, and did so at every opportunity. You just don't know from a chance encounter.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options

Another example of someone not understanding how babies GROW. A baby fed, on demand with breast milk or formula, are not OBESE.

My biggest fear about this post is that someone who is not educated and does not understand "baby fat" is going to starve their baby. Babies need a high level of fat to stay warm and survive. Babies also use a special type of fat called brown fat that is highly metabolically active which requires high levels of engery. Babies under go rapid growth their first year and need all the nutrition they can get. Unless they have a metabolic disorder all children are very good at regulating his or her own food intake. There is NO SUCH THING as an obese baby some children are heavier while others are lighter.

I'll say it again....UNLESS YOU WANT TO KILL YOUR BABY DO NOT EVER PUT A BABY ONTO A DIET!! If you are concerned talk to your doctor.
  • SteveStedge1
    SteveStedge1 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    My child was measured at the 125 percentile within weeks of her birth.

FYI by definition no one can ever be at "125th percentile".

haha.. tell that to my sons peditirican! that's where my son was. Just means my son was 25% taller then the highest average height//weight of kids his size.

Time for a new pediatrician and for you to brush up on basic math. 25% taller than the "highest' "average" dude....
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options

haha.. tell that to my sons peditirican! that's where my son was. Just means my son was 25% taller then the highest average height//weight of kids his size.

Time for a new pediatrician and for you to brush up on basic math. 25% taller than the "highest' "average" dude....

no, im sorry, your wrong. there is no "125th percentile". it goes to 100 percentile, and thats it.
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options

It's how the charts are written. My daughter was 126% on weight her first six months on life. Take issue with the makers of the charts, not those reporting the figures as the charts figure them.
  • babyluthi
    babyluthi Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I was in the checkout line at a grocery store yesterday with my daughter and granddaughter yesterday, and the checkout girl asked how old the baby was. When told she had just turned a year, she was shocked at how 'tiny' she was. She weighed in at 18 lbs and 28 inches tall at her dr appt that morning. She is a healthy and active little girl with chubby cheeks and the obligatory little leg rolls. She is NOT skinny by any means,

The check out girl then told us that her son was 10 months old and weighed 32 pounds!! Oh my goodness! I was in shock. That is the size of a 5 yr old!

Has this become the norm for babies today? My granddaughter is only in the 10% in height and weight. She still outweighs both her mother and my other daughter when they were a yr old. (16 and 15 lbs).

The pediatrician is not concerned at all with the baby's size, as she is perfectly healthy. She says the charts are inflated today because of all the obese babies that are throwing off the curve.

I just cannot imagine how a 10 month old baby can weigh 32 pounds. Granted, the mother was not a small woman, and she described the father as being built like a Sumo wrestler.
    But what are they feeding this child to be able to gain this much weight? She even said the child was short, like his father, so he doesn't have extra height to account for it.

A day later and I still cannot get this baby off of my mind. He will hit 100 pounds by the time he is 3 at this rate, and will probably be diabetic by 8 or 10.

I don't mean to start a fat-shaming thread for a baby, so please don't shoot me. Am I alone at being shocked at this??

ETA, The mother said that he was actually walking, which is even more amazing. So maybe he will slim down a bit now that he is mobile. I sure hope so.

Don't be shocked. This explains it all. Including the obesity trend in babies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM

1st GOAL: 100kg (6JUN13)
    13.2kg lost / 22.2kg to go