DNA Testing for Weight Loss

Options
12346»

Replies

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    A genetic test won't tell you what diet is sustainable for you, and you don't need one for that. Food sensitivities can be checked for cheaper with the appropriate tests. Say I did a genetic test that tells me to go high protein, not gonna happen. Not in this lifetime with my current food preferences and not without a lot of deliberate convoluted planning and deprivation. Even if a diet is the best diet you can do for your genetics it's not going to matter if you don't stick to it.

Genetic testing can be great in certain situations, but dieting is not one of them. Firstly, like I mentioned, because dieting involves way more factors than genetics can decipher, and secondly because I suspect the results would not be any more accurate than horoscopes. That's not how genetics works.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    It analyses your DNA to look at different traits ( I guess to see if you are predisposed to becoming obese) and sensitivities you might have to different foods. based off their analysis, they form a specific diet ( high protein, low carbs, or avoid sugars, or red meats, etc.) and it also tells you if cardio, weight trading, or whatever would be most optimal for you.

It isn't something I would pay for.
    Anyone can be obese if they take in more calories than they burn. I would say we are all predisposed to it. Where you store your fat is genetic.
    A calorie deficit works for everyone to lose weight. Type of food is for nutrition, preference and satiety. You can figure out on your own what foods make you feel satisfied. I'd start with the protein, carb, fat ratio MFP recommends for you for free and see how you feel. If you want help with a diet plan see a registered dietician but even that is probably overkill unless you have a medical condition.
    You could do an elimination diet for free to see if you have food sensitivities. I don't believe food sensitivities impact fat loss.
    Wouldn't type of exercise that is best for you depend on your goals and preferences? For the average person a mix of cardio and strength is probably the way to go.
    My point of view is that it is just not necessary for weight loss and most of it is probably as bogus as a Facebook quiz result.
  • crooked_left_hook
    crooked_left_hook Posts: 364 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    @NorthCascades what's your point? If I choose to get a DNA test, then what is it to you? Funny you and most of the others who replied are giving advice on something they don't know anything about, and then have the nerve to ask me to educate you when you typed that response on the internet

So I actually have had a DNA test done. It was done to confirm a genetic connective tissue disease that can only be confirmed through genetic testing. Here's the deal, yes the test confirmed I have the disease but the testing offered nothing useful in the way of helping me manage it or to understand the extent of my symptoms or the effect it would have on my life. I could use the results as an excuse to sit on my *kitten* and collect disability like my mom did (same disease), or I can chose how I will manage this disease...so I run, I weight train, and I do what I can to keep my joints healthy.

I've also seen the results of my mothers more recent DNA test. Based on the results of hers, as her daughter I could theoretically have every autoimmune disease you can think of. I don't. There was no useful information in the actual test results, or the testers analysis of these results, that would help with avoiding or managing these diseases.

This test also showed "obesity" as running in my family (again, I didn't need a DNA test to know this). The people in my family are obese because they eat too much, drink pop like it's the elixir of youth, and they don't exercise. It has nothing to do with their genetic heritage. There was no magic solution for obesity in the DNA test results.

Eat less and you will lose weight. Some people lose it faster than others, but a DNA test isn't going to change that. Most likely scenario, it will provide justification to make excuses for yourself. Weight management is about making personal behavioral changes and managing your CICO. Don't make it more complicated (or expensive) than it needs to be.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    For all, I never said my mind was made up. If that were the case I would have just ordered. I asked to get REAL feedback from REAL tester. I too am skeptical. I was actually considering getting a genetic study for heritage and health and happened to come across it.

Heritage is a legitimate pursuit and numerous markers have been identified. I actually find this fascinating as our entire concept of race is foolish as we all descend from a common ancestor. I submitted to Ancestry DNA - this is based upon actual evidence which can be repeated with a high degree of accuracy.

Even there they can be a bit vague. My brother had his DNA tested and the results were pretty much as expected. What was interesting is the 32% "North Western European" (everything else was specific: Irish, British, German, Scandinavian) Those dang Vandals, Saxons, Angles, Jutes, Visigoths and all the rest who kept wandering around Europe mixed up everything.

If you were looking for a specific health marker, it might be worth it but to tell you how you should be eating? Spend the $500 on a few sessions with a Registered Dietician.

Precisely. Ancestry is very forthcoming with their markers and model. I was curious and they sent me volumes of data and even scheduled time with one of their hosts to discuss - also providing me with contacts to the source data. I was very impressed. I have very limited information about my parents and lineage, I was looking for additional confirmation. I'm primarily Scottish, but the test picked up markers for Japanese which correlates to family records that one of my ancestors was a merchant trader and married a Japanese woman.
  • newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    jemhh wrote: »
    I didn't think any of the gene mapping done to date was at the level of specificity to identify food intolerances - but I'd have to do some research

I'm thinking that it probably just indicates generalities. For example, something like 75% of Native Americans are lactose intolerant. I'm guessing if the DNA indicated that the person had Native American ancestors, it would say that she may be lactose intolerant.

I have a percentage of native american blood,from 3 different tribes(not sure of percentages as I havent done DNA but my sister did trace our lineage), and Im not lactose intolerant.so that would throw the study off one would think.

I'm partially of Native American heritage also, and not lactose intolerant in the least. I consume dairy products on a daily basis with no problems.

Not lactose intolerant either.