Very frustrated!

Options
Why is it when I have 58 pounds to loose, and I've stayed under my 1200 calorie requirement for over two weeks now and have only lost one pound? I've not had any bread, fake sugar (only berries or strawberries) very low carbs, etc....al the things I'm suppose to be doing. Speed walking four times a week each time losing 300 calories per walk. I'm 58 year old woman that's extremely frustrated! Please help! I so my other friends using programs like a plan from Thyroid Connection and they are able to drop 10 pounds a month easily. But not me. I'm eating all non processed foods, too!

Replies

• cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't eat under 1200 as you have 58lbs to lose. Eat your calories. The deficit is built in so you don't have to create one. How tall are you?

It has been 2 weeks and you've lost a pound. That's still a loss. You haven't stalked. Are you eating back a portion of your exercise calories? If no, then you are severely under eating.

The type of food you eat/don't eat doesn't matter. I still eat chocolate/pizza/candy and have been (and still am) losing weight. All that matters is a calorie deficit. "Fake sugar" does not stall weight loss, ever. Processed foods are not a problem, either....

Do you use a food scale for all raw solid food and semi solid foods? Do you use cups/spoons for liquids only?
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    I eat processed foods and still lose weight, it's about eating at an appropriate deficit not cutting out 'horrible foods'. Some foods give you a better nutritional bang for your buck, but if you want bread, eat the bread.

Did you pick 1200, or did you use MFP to calculate it and came to that? Also I'll agree with you shouldn't be eating under 1200, that's the base minimum for females MFP will give you (which is why I asked how you came to that #).
    What do you have set to lose a week? IE 2lb/week, 1, .5?
    As we can't see your diary, are you entering all the food you eat?
    Are you measuring, weighing, eyeballing?
    Did you just start walking?
    Thyroid Connection is a book to help people identify thyroid issues? I've never heard of a plan from it. I am hypothyroid (mine was removed), and as long as my meds are on point I don't have a problem losing. 10lb a month is a bit high unless maybe they just started as often that can be water weight.
  • Tickycat
    Tickycat Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have also been on a 1200 calorie a day program. I am 61 years old. I recently had a test for resting calorie burning. My numbers were very low, I had lost a lot of lean muscle and that could be why my weight loss became so difficult in recent weeks. My Bariactic Educator and one of my Doctors has recommended I increase my Carb intake to 90 grams a day. I was also told I needed to increase my lean muscle so I am now doing weight and resistance exercises. My hikes were not building the muscle I need. I am trying to do what the doctor ordered and hope this will do it. Maybe check with your doctor and see if this is a possibility.
  • sd4Texas
    sd4Texas Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I’m 5’6 and yes, I used the MFP the calculate the 1200 calories per day. I do not eat back my exercise calories as I don’t consider those calories I should eat back since I only walk/speed walk. I do use a food scale to weigh all of my food. It’s a good digital scale, too! I also weigh myself only once a week on the same day and the same day so that I don’t get preoccupied with my weight. Yes, I did just start speed walking over two weeks ago. I do anywhere from 2.25 to 2.85 four times a week faithfully. I’m on no medication, and I haven’t seen a doctor about any weight loss issues or plans. MFB goal to lose a week is set for 2 lbs a week. In order to correct an earlier statement, I’m eating right at 1200 calories a day; some days I may go over by 50 calories and some days I may go under 50-75 calories. As I said earlier, though, I never eat back my exercise calories. I am focusing on walking for my health and not for weight loss. I’ve heard that weight loss is 80-90 percent what you eat and 10-20 percent exercise. I’m now freaking out since I understand that exercising causes your muscle to retain water weight in order to help the muscles recover, so now I’ve got a new concern in regards to exercising. There seems like there are so many dynamics to weight loss, and if you don’t do it the exact way, I feel like I’m never going to lose the weight. I do appreciate all of your comments.
  • srk369
    srk369 Posts: 256 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Sometimes weighing only once a week can be deceiving. You can catch a high day!! I weigh daily and track in Libra, a weight trending app. I like daily weighing because it really shows you how much you can fluctuate up and down. If I weighed only once a week and caught a really high day, I could see how it would be frustrating. Now I can almost guess what my weight is going to do based on my exercise, sodium intake (if I eat out), and TOM in my cycle, and everytime I hit a new low I jump up at least a pound the next day!!
  • beaglebrandon
    beaglebrandon Posts: 97 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Are you sure you're not snacking during the day and not counting those calories? Like a few nuts here and there? Are you counting your drinks? The extra milk/cream in your coffee? Do you have a glass of wine or beer at night and aren't counting that? Are you failing to account for condiments like butter, dressing, mayonnaise?

When I'm in a losing weight mode, I'm constantly aware of what I'm eating 24/7. If I'm at home all day, I'll grab 5 or 6 nuts once like 3 times during the day, or a pretzel, and forget to account for it. That's an extra 200 calories right there. Or, milk and sugar in my tea. That's an extra 50 per cup right there.

You'll lose on 1200 calories if that is what you're having.

My typical day to lose:
    Breakfast: (350 calories) 300 calorie egg and cheese breakfast sandwich, Tea with milk and sugar
    Water during the day, nothing else
    Lunch: (450 calories) Subway 6" rotisserie chicken - no condiments, just chicken, cheese and veggies on a honey oat bread with water to drink
    Water, water more water during the day
    Dinner: (400 calories) A lean-cuisine dinner (300 calories) with water and some nuts (100 calories)

That's it. Very little to eat. I lose 2 pounds a week.

If I have snacks during the day, or a glass of wine, I'll go around 1500-2000 calories, then lose about 1/2 a pound a week.

• beaglebrandon
    edited March 2017
    Options
  • sd4Texas
    Options
    There are 3 nights a week I eat late because of my husband's work schedule. I eat those nights around 8:30 p.m. Someone told me that affects weight gain, too. But if I'm staying within my calorie intake, what different does that matter? @StaciMarie1974 then what's the benefit of using my MFP to set a goal of losing 2 pounds a week and getting back the suggested calorie intake of 1200 if I'm only going to lose 1 pound every two weeks realistically? That makes MFP look deceiving.
  • beaglebrandon
    Options
    Eating late doesn't matter. It's just calories.

The type of calories you eat only matters in that if I eat too much of the 'wrong' things (things without the right protein, carbs, vitamins), I'll feel really hungry or just not well and dieting will be REALLY difficult.

For example, if I eat a lunch consisting of only a large McDonald's fry with a cocktail drink, that's 1,000 calories. My body won't like that at all, and I'll have a hard time not eating the rest of the day to stay under my calorie allotment.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Not everyone can safely lose 2 pounds a week. Remember, it takes 1000 calories of deficit to lose 2 pounds a week average over time. If you put in your goals and are assigned 1200 calories: you have hit the bottom limit.

For a moment, set MFP to maintenance. How many calories does it give you? This is what MFP expects you to burn daily based on your height/weight/age/gender and activity level. Subtract 1000. If below 1200, MFP will NOT tell you to eat that low, but will give you 1200. Encouraging very low calorie diets is unsafe and not something MFP wishes to do. Eating 800/day would lose more weight in a shorter period of time but would also result in damage to brain/heart/etc, loss of muscle mass, damage to hair/skin/nails, etc.

It might alleviate your frustration somewhat to have realistic expectations. Having a better idea of what total calories you burn in a day can help with that. Such as if that # is 1700, then losing .5-1 pounds per week is a realistic goal.

Ps-timing of meals does not matter for weight loss. It could affect your sleep, such as if eating late and then going to bed soon after gives my husband heartburn. I sometimes eat late also, do to whatever is going on in the day. If Hubby is getting home around 9, I'd rather do my run/walk when I get home from work and then eat dinner with him.
    sd4Texas wrote: »
    There are 3 nights a week I eat late because of my husband's work schedule. I eat those nights around 8:30 p.m. Someone told me that affects weight gain, too. But if I'm staying within my calorie intake, what different does that matter? @StaciMarie1974 then what's the benefit of using my MFP to set a goal of losing 2 pounds a week and getting back the suggested calorie intake of 1200 if I'm only going to lose 1 pound every two weeks realistically? That makes MFP look deceiving.

• sd4Texas
    Options
    I count everything....spices, snacks, coffee, condiments, etc. Here's a snapshot of a typical day (excluding the wine) when I don't exercise. I have a glass of wine twice a week.
    s0z742bt1brh.png
    zmc6w1l1p7e8.png
    7ejwhd736bad.png
    vxhjf5ky3dq1.png
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    sd4Texas wrote: »

Except that no matter what, MFP will not go under 1200 cals/day.

My current TDEE (how much I burn in a day total, including exercise) is 2200 (+/-). I know this because it's how much I've been eating these past 3 months and neither gaining nor losing. So to lose 2lbs per week, I would need to eat 1200 cals/day. I'm 35 years old, 170cm tall, and have about 20kg left to lose, so about 44lbs. Eating at 1200 cals/day is not realistic for me, I'd be gnawing off my arm.

Now, if you told MFP you're sedentary, possibly older and shorter than me (didn't check, so I don't know), then that starting number would be lower. Let's assume 1900. To lose 2lbs per week, you need to deduct 1000... So to lose 2lbs a week, you would need to eat 900 cals per day, which MFP won't allow and needs to be done under medical supervision and only in case where rapid weight-loss is a must. It's extremely hard to get the necessary nutrients in on 1200 cals/day, and quasi impossible on lower than that.

Add to that any possible logging errors (choosing bad database entries, eyeballing portions, forgetting to log things such as cooking oil, etc.) and instead of having enough of a deficit to lose a bit over 1lbs per week, you're closer to that 0.5lbs per week you're having.

So no, MFP is not deceiving. It's just not explaining its math to you.

You can also look at it this way: you lost 1lbs in 2 weeks. That's 2 weeks where you didn't gain more weight...

ETA: when you eat truly doesn't matter unless you have a medical condition which prescribes some kind of limits.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Regarding your food log. Check the label for the salmon. Wild caught is leaner than farm raised. If you're eating farm raised salmon, then 150 calories for 6 ounces is low. More like 300-350.

Strawberries at 16 calories, not a big deal, but weighing could improve accuracy. 16 vs 20 vs 24 is not going to make or break you, but those sorts of estimations can add up.

Otherwise, for meat make sure your weighing and logging match. Such as are these raw weights and raw entries? Or cooked weights with cooked entries? Food loses moisture as it cooks, so weigh less. If you start with 4 ounces raw and end with 3 ounces cooked, you do not want to log 3 ounces raw. Its just something to be aware of, an easy mistake to make.
  • sd4Texas
    Options
    @beaglebrandon and really, my typical lunch is this and not a chick fil a soup.
    ihjog4zs4ls5.png
  • sd4Texas
    Options
    @StaciMarie1974 i always use the weight of my food before grilling, cooking, etc. I always try to use the "verified" MFB calorie estimates for food, too, unless there's none verified or has that green check mark, then I make the best selection I can. I buy wild catch salmon, too.
  • amyepdx
    amyepdx Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Please try to accept that you can't lose 2 lbs a week when you only have 58 to lose. Reset to 1 lbs a week and then tighten up your logging. You'll be able to stick to it much easier and it will show in the scale. Also, you'll get improved accuracy weighing in grams instead of ounces. Keep going - you'll get there!