Very frustrated!

Options

Replies

• StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Just wanted to point out some potential database pitfalls. :)

We've all made 'rookie' mistakes. I sometimes buy frozen potatoes, bake in the oven. For a while I was weighing them after baking, and logging from the nutrition label. At some point it dawned on me that the 85 grams serving size on the label was frozen weight...
    sd4Texas wrote: »
    @StaciMarie1974 i always use the weight of my food before grilling, cooking, etc. I always try to use the "verified" MFB calorie estimates for food, too, unless there's none verified or has that green check mark, then I make the best selection I can. I buy wild catch salmon, too.

• collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    Are you using correct entries? That salmon entry, for example, seems low -- you don't say whether it was raw or cooked, but USDA shows *three* ounces of cooked salmon to be 156, and your entry says 150 for 6. That's a huge calorie error.

Three ounces raw are also 124, so regardless of raw or cooked, you're off in that one.

I don't like to tell people that they're eating more than they think, because I meticulously log and still bang my head into a wall at stalls, but you definitely are eating more than you think you are.
  • sd4Texas
    sd4Texas Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    @collectingblues ....then maybe MFP should have more accurate calorie counts and needs to be more specific. It doesn't help if MFP associates the wrong calories with the food.
  • sd4Texas
    Options
    @ladyreva78 what does TDEE mean?
  • sd4Texas
    Options
    @amyepdx so how long did it take you to lose the 90 plus pounds?
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    @collectingblues ....then maybe MFP should have more accurate calorie counts and needs to be more specific. It doesn't help if MFP associates the wrong calories with the food.

Problem is that the database is updated by MFP users and sometimes we goof. Try getting the USDA stats.

(Example: instead of typing 'raw salmon' into the database, do 'raw salmon USDA'.)

They're usually accurate.
  • StaciMarie1974
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Wild caught salmon actually is about 25-28 calories per ounce raw. Wild caught is lean while farm raised is not. Depends on the source.
    Right, but it's a user-generated database. Accurate logging is up to you. Did you *really* think that six ounces of salmon or nearly 3 oz of chicken breast had that few calories? Or did you just want to think that?

Use this for accurate counts: https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/search/list. Then search in here for the food item number.

So you can either blame MFP, or you can start using USDA and pulling the item numbers to search in here. Up to you.

• sd4Texas
    Options
    @collectingblues the usda site you linked me to doesn't give calorie count. Is it suppose to? I put in this type of salmon on the usda site search box and this came up but no calorie count.https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/4687?manu=&fgcd=&ds=
  • skinnyfatty1983
    skinnyfatty1983 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    ur food is sabotaging your progress... vanilla, chickensoup , cheese and oil... your body is burning these things instead of burning your fat.. you need to eat clean, when i start eating clean, when my weight stopped moving, and i added workout and it dropped again...eating clean and lower calories will give u magic results
  • collectingblues
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Wild caught, coho, raw (sockeye is usually marginally lower): https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/4563?man=&lfacet=&count=&max=&qlookup=&offset=&sort=&format=Abridged&reportfmt=other&rptfrm=&ndbno=&nutrient1=&nutrient2=&nutrient3=&subset=&totCount=&measureby=&Qv=1&Q8576=1&Q8577=0.5&Qv=1&Q8576=3.0&Q8577=0.5

41 calories per ounce. Sockeye is 47 per ounce.

I mean, I can play this game just as well as anyone else (and I'm going to trust USDA far more than I ever would WalMart). But let's not delude ourselves into thinking that you can eat 6 ounces of salmon for 150 calories.

I'm wondering how Walmart gets the calorie count that low, when it's certainly not in line with what I'm finding at USDA. But, I don't eat frozen fish, so maybe there's some other processing at play there.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    @collectingblues the usda site you linked me to doesn't give calorie count. Is it suppose to? I put in this type of salmon on the usda site search box and this came up but no calorie count.https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/4687?manu=&fgcd=&ds=

Energy in kcal is the number you need. Bit technical but calories is not the same as Calories. There are 1000 calories in a Calorie. You are looking for Calories, or 1000 calories or kcal. Ignore everything I just said and use the kcal number as your calorie count.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Wild caught salmon actually is about 25-28 calories per ounce raw. Wild caught is lean while farm raised is not. Depends on the source.

Wild caught is much better for smoking. Tried smoking farmed and it is way too fatty. They are VERY different.
  • StaciMarie1974
    Options
    I used the product label from the salmon I buy. Of course, the original poster would be responsible for using a good entry to match her product use.

But if I'm eating pink wild caught salmon from Walmart, I have no reason to log it as sockeye, coho, etc. from elsewhere.
  • sd4Texas
    Options
    @StaciMarie1974 so would that Walmart brand of salmon have a USDA number assigned to it that I can then enter into MFP? Thanks!
  • skinnyfatty1983
    skinnyfatty1983 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    ur food is sabotaging your progress... vanilla, chickensoup , cheese and oil... your body is burning these things instead of burning your fat.. you need to eat clean, when i start eating clean, when my weight stopped moving, and i added workout and it dropped again...eating clean and lower calories will give u magic results

No.

yes, i tried before .., even 1 cup of soda drink will stop ur body from losing weight for at least 1 day....
  • collectingblues
    Options
    Are you buying the Walmart brand?

It might have a USDA listing, but if it's not the salmon *you* are eating, it doesn't matter. Log what you eat, not a best guess estimate of what other people say they eat.
  • StaciMarie1974
    Options
    @StaciMarie1974 so would that Walmart brand of salmon have a USDA number assigned to it that I can then enter into MFP? Thanks!

I scan the label, and then adjust # of servings. Such as they don't actually weigh 4 ounces. 4.3, 4.6, etc. I edit serving size to match what I have.

KEep in mind: there are errors in the database, true, because of user generated entries. But ultimately you know what you're eating. So if you believe you are using the correct entry, go with it.