Have you ever been "fit shamed"?

Options

Replies

• trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    A vast majority of the population are obese, un-fit, unhealthy, don't eat well or exercise. Ignore these people and do what you enjoy!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    edited March 2017
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    "You spend too much time exercising."

Gets the response....

"You spend too much time sitting on your fat *kitten*."

I generally respond with...

Thanks, I really don't want to look as bad as you, so I work hard.

Ironically, I have been asked if I have had a taper worm before. I laugh and say nope and then ask them if they need one?
  • Morgaen73
    Morgaen73 Posts: 2,818 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I haven't had to go through that. Most of our friends are supportive but what I have noticed is that some people avoid us. They are never available anymore.

As for my co-workers, they are actually pretty cool. There is woman here that is a runner so she tends to look after weight as well. If there are stuff functions then they will get healthier food for the two of us and if either of us chooses to eat our own food instead, no-one takes offense.
  • Jayco141
    Jayco141 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    People who don't have the will power or the actual "want it bad enough" philosophy will tend to throw remarks at those who are doing well in order to make themselves feel better and justify what they cannot do.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    It's pure projection. They feel bad that they do nothing and you're doing so much- so they have to try to make you feel bad about it too.

But I agree it's annoying.

I don't bother playing into it. either shrug and agree and keep walking- or just ignore it. Or use the line @sijomial gave you- which is also quite useful.

Don't try to understand it- it'll never make sense.
  • Jayco141
    Jayco141 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    1. I am still overweight. I am just under 6'3" and weigh 215
    2. People heavier than me keep asking why am I still trying to lose weight as I "look good"
    3. Just trying to be healthy is never a good enough answer for them.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I have a small work/family/friend environment so I don't get any of that. Most are supportive or at worst, neutral. The only time I get negative feedback is generally a wake up call that perhaps I'm ignoring family too much. It is important to work on ME but I also need to make spending time with family a priority. (Ideally, combining ME and Family is the best of both worlds.)

Did you have any similar experience?

• RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    I am pretty oblivious so if I have been fit shamed, then I never noticed....depending on your co-worker you have a few options.

Close co-worker "Thanks for your concern, but I am at a perfectly healthy exercise rate according to my doctor", General co-worker "Please do not comment on my body. It's not appropriate at work." And *kitten* co-workers "Please do not comment on my body. It's not appropriate at work. If this continues I'll be taking these emails to HR to file a complaint"
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Yep and these things and other comments people make to me, that has no direct effect on them or is none of their business, just goes in one ear and right out the other. I stopped trying to understand people a long time ago, waste of energy.

People are just people, some are supportive and some are not, just is what it is imho.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    The only thing that I would have done is forwarded the picture and email to HR with a comment "is this what I can expect here for trying to improve myself?". The rest I'm more inclined to ignore, but that seemed to cross a line for me in reading the post.
  • JstTheWayIam
    JstTheWayIam Posts: 6,357 Member
    Options
    Honestly though... The positive feedback I've received from everyone far out weighs the negative...

The negative has only motivated me to become even stronger...

There are a few irl that have been jealous, but that's just tbe...
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Nope.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options

But nothing has motivated me more on that treadmill at 5a then hearing in my head... It should be us losing all the weight...

As I think to myself... Do you really think you deserve this more than me...

Such a strange mindset that only "deserving" people should be able to lose weight.

These people have a simple biological state and a broad set of value judgement really highly tied together... and ouch--were they just plain MEAN to you.

Of course you deserve to be skinnier. And so do they. (?Maybe? They seem like jerks from your description) But the difference is you actually are doing something about it. It's hard work.

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Devils advocate...while everyone is still denouncing the actions of the shamer, it doesn't seem there is nearly the response or ire towards a "fit shamer" vs a "fat shamer". Shouldn't both be equally intolerated?
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    At 53, nope. I get more praise and congrats for staying in shape and not letting it go than negative comments from people. Even if they did, who cares? If I let that affect me, then I do less than I do now and would have likely gotten out of shape. People will always have opinions. You don't have to acknowledge them though.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

The beauty of becoming older and wiser! At 49 yrs old I don't give a flying F what people think or say about me. I am going to be happy regardless.