Have you ever been "fit shamed"?

Options

Replies

• sofchak
    sofchak Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I don't think I've been "fit shamed" - I would classify my experience as more of "skinny shamed". While I do have a lot of great support in my life in family, coworkers and friends (my husband and sister are my biggest supporters), I have received comments about needing to eat more and the oh so lovely - "You're skinny enough! You're not trying to lose any more weight, right?" I've actually blown a few minds by saying that I weigh MORE now than I did a couple months ago thanks to strength training.

My favorite past time is to invite the skinny shamers to lunch so they can see how much food I eat - I often have more packed in my lunch box than them and I eat it all, then show them that I also have an afternoon snack in my bag... and I always make sure to slide into the conversation that I had a big stack of oatmeal pancakes for breakfast (oh the joy of marathon training lol).
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Yep, I've been fit shamed. An old buddy of mine from the punk scene made comments about my pecs that "oh look how round and firm they are blah blah blah" or something to that effect.

I pulled out the banhammer on him immediately. I will suffer not a troll among myself.

Also -- and I'm not making this up -- because my nipples are placed lower on afformentied chest I have received negative comments in the past. On the few rare times I have posted frontal pictures because of how self conscious I am, I usually begin with an apology of "there's not much I can do about it."
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    It's a vocabulary shift from previous years. Personally, I wish we'd stayed with 'mocking' or 'making fun of' or 'putting down' rather than 'shaming' because it doesn't imply the recipient has done anything wrong, but whatever.

I've not really been mocked for being fit. I get more incredulity when someone asks me things like 'what's the farthest you've run?' which I find funny since physically I'm nothing special. Yet everyone seems convinced that they could never do the same even though they're perfectly healthy and capable.

I've gotten some backtalk once or twice when I was at my lightest, but it was said in a self-deprecating way, so not sincerely meant. I figure that's because I've already had pointed words with the one or two people in my life that have a hard time with others' successes. I find people like that extremely annoying because I prefer NOT to be involuntarily shoved in the spotlight, thank you.
  • Sara1791
    Sara1791 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    Yep, I've been fit shamed. An old buddy of mine from the punk scene made comments about my pecs that "oh look how round and firm they are blah blah blah" or something to that effect.

I pulled out the banhammer on him immediately. I will suffer not a troll among myself.

Also -- and I'm not making this up -- because my nipples are placed lower on afformentied chest I have received negative comments in the past. On the few rare times I have posted frontal pictures because of how self conscious I am, I usually begin with an apology of "there's not much I can do about it."

I didn't know guys worried about stuff like that. (Shame on me.)
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,868 Member
    Options
    pondee629 wrote: »
    Morgaen73 wrote: »
    why cant the term "fit shame" be used? If people make you feel bad about what you look like it is not shaming you?

How, if you are happy with yourself, or your efforts, can ANYONE ELSE, much less a stranger, make you feel bad about yourself? Are we really that dependent on what others think over what/how we feel about ourselves? WTF has happened to our self esteem?

Yes. I'm old, bald and "slightly" overweight. What else you got 'cause I really don't care. I'm doing good (and getting better) and like me. If you don't (like me) just go away, 'cause I really don't care.

I fully agree with you. However, how does me having good self-esteem make it ok for someone else to try and put me down?

It doesn't, why it bothers you (or some/most posting here) is the question.
    why cant the term "fit shame" be used? If people make you feel bad about what you look like it is not shaming you?

How, if you are happy with yourself, or your efforts, can ANYONE ELSE, much less a stranger, make you feel bad about yourself? Are we really that dependent on what others think over what/how we feel about ourselves? WTF has happened to our self esteem?

Yes. I'm old, bald and "slightly" overweight. What else you got 'cause I really don't care. I'm doing good (and getting better) and like me. If you don't (like me) just go away, 'cause I really don't care.

Fat shaming is a thing.

The only person who can "shame" you is you. If you're happy with yourself, or your efforts at getting better, there can be no shame. If you are not happy with yourself or your efforts, you know what to do.

YES!

People can tease. People can make snide comments. But they can't shame.

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    If anyone has criticised me for exercising a lot, I certainly haven't noticed and must have totally ignored their pettiness and carried on being happy, awesome, and optimistic as usual. :smile:
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    The only person who can "shame" you is you. If you're happy with yourself, or your efforts at getting better, there can be no shame. If you are not happy with yourself or your efforts, you know what to do.

you're assuming that everyone who notices a phenomenon and reports on it has internalized it. that's simplistic enough to be condescending, though.
  • melodyamanda0
    melodyamanda0 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi
  • kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,149 Member
    Options
    The coworkers saw me 100+ lbs ago so the change now, even though it happened slowly, bothers them. I get the blatant comments as well as the "nice" ones with a bit of an edge. Whatever. Now their comments on the size of my "small butt" are weird ...
  • catgerm
    catgerm Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I can see how tough this is when u r stuck in an office with multiple people like this. Definitely not ok.

Maybe it's a good opportunity to determine who u will try to become closer to, and who u just need to keep a professional relationship with.

For those where it's strictly business, I would keep all private info about myself to myself. They don't deserve to be let in...
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Options
    All the time. I'm shamed for working out, shamed for eating the foods I do and for not eating the foods I don't..family, friends, coworkers...you name it. It's a thing. Just gotta learn to stick your chin in the air, and remember that you are better off for your choices than they are for theirs.
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken Posts: 1,530 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I am sick of the word "shamed". Criticism doesn't necessarily mean they are "shaming". But I digress,.... this word will continue to be overused and misused until something else catches on.

Shame
    verb
    (of a person, action, or situation) make (someone) feel ashamed.
    "I tried to shame him into giving some away"
    synonyms: humiliate, mortify, chagrin, embarrass, abash, chasten, humble, take down a peg or two, cut down to size; informal show up, make someone eat crow
    "he was shamed in public"

Sooo you're sick of the word shame being used properly as a verb? The word as it's being used just means that someone is purposely trying to knock you down a peg or humble you. It doesn't have to work, but it isn't a misuse of the dictionary definition.

You assume they are trying make a person feel shame. That is an assumption. Criticism and shaming are not the same thing. Also, part of speech and context are not the same either. There are a great many words in the English language that have the same part of speech function yet different meanings. Take the word "can" for example. You may "can" vegetables in order to preserve them, or "can" a lazy employee. "Can" in the latter meaning to fire them of course. Both forms of "can" being used as a verb with entirely different meanings.

I stand by my comment. Criticism does not automatically equate to shaming.