April 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    angmarie28 wrote: »
    OMG so i have a room booked and everything for my marathon in July, and I went on to register, and its so real now that Im having a hard time filling out the form, the nervousness just hit me, yikes.

Im a very nervous person i guess you could say, ive talked myself out of doing a lot of things in my life because I get worked up and panicky about it, and its been my goal for the past few years to force myself out of my shell. But the irrational fears still hit me often, my first race, almost didnt do because when I got there, I started freaking myself out, I ended up doing it, and better than I thought, but thats the last race ive done because of my anxiety.

I will NOT talk myself out of this race though, I know I can make it, I just have to talk myself into it again, haha. Ive noticed running has helped me a lot with my anxiety, I can now run outside by myself (which sounds strange to most, and I get it, but it has been a legit fear for years)

@angmarie28 - Hey, the time for mental games and telling yourself you're giving up marathons is the last 6 miles, and just after you cross the finish line. Then after a few days of recovery, marathons sound like a good idea again.

It's okay to doubt that you can actually run the distance at this point. I had my doubts right up to about mile 26 of my first marathon. Or maybe beyond. I didn't know I'd finish till I could see the finish line.
    To add to this amazing advice. One way to get of self doubt about running a marathon is to go totally BSC and register for a trail 50k to keep your mind off the marathon, when you're not running.
  • imageofaking
    imageofaking Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Starting closer at the end of the month but still excited to get started! My goal is 20 miles :) so this will run me to May 20th to keep up with 1 months worth of running. I feel very good and confident about getting back into running- favorite exercise and brings me back to cross country days in HS!! Can't wait to get in shape, tone up, and shred some pavement.
  • snowyne
    snowyne Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    4/1 - 7.0 mi.
    4/2 - 4.0 mi
    4/3 - 3.6 mi.
    4/4 - rest
    4/5 - 6.0 mi.
    4/6 - 4.0 mi.
    4/7 - 5.0 mi.
    4/8 - 4.4 mi.
    4/9 - rest
    4/10 - 4.4 mi.
    4/11 - 4.0 mi.
    4/12 - 4.9 mi. (oh, honestly...why didn't I eke out another .1 for a nice even 5?? :p )
    4/13 - 3.1 mi.
    4/14 - 5.0 mi.
    4/15 - 3.9 mi.
    4/16 - rest - happy easter!
    4/17 - 4.0 mi.
    4/18 - 4.6 mi.
    4/19 - 4.1 mi.
    4/20 - 4.0 mi.

April goal: 76/100 miles
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    Starting closer at the end of the month but still excited to get started! My goal is 20 miles :) so this will run me to May 20th to keep up with 1 months worth of running. I feel very good and confident about getting back into running- favorite exercise and brings me back to cross country days in HS!! Can't wait to get in shape, tone up, and shred some pavement.

welcome. Getting started, no matter when in the month, is the first step.
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,793 Member
    Options
    @MobyCarp thanks, I'm hoping I'll be a little prepared for it, I know I won't be able to run the whole thing, th re res no way I'll have enough training, that week is actually suppose to be a half marathon for my training for my september marathon, but I know some people doing the full, and I'm more trained then them, so I'm going to start with them, and probably take off on my own when they can't run anymore. They plan to run like1/5 to 1/4 of it, since it is suppose to be a 13.1 mile run week, I would like to run 1/2 of it. I'm keeping my goals small and getting a feel for it, so I know more what to expect in September for the one I try harder in.

@WhatMeRunning YES, the money I paid to register will keep me motivated, I'm a cheapskate when it comes to myself, I spent anything on anyone, except me, I never like to spend money on myself, (i was training for a spartan race but decided i needed the money so i decided not to do it, 5 weeks into training) so the fact I spent so much just to torture myself running 26.2 miles, I'm gonna dang well at least get my medal out of it
  • hanlonsk
    hanlonsk Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    3.2 tonight brings me to 71.6/100

I am actually being calmed down greatly to read how many of you are not meeting that long run=30% of total thing. Someone passed on that advice to me earlier this month when I solicited for half marathon advice. And I thought I was doing pretty good on mileage for the week, until I did the math earlier today and discovered I would need 10-15 more miles this week for that math to work out. And well, that frankly is not going to be possible. But, it is making me think through an actual plan for future weeks. So, maybe that will help.
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options

exercise.png
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    It's been super busy at work so I haven't been commenting much. I was at least reading until today, so now I'm really behind.

@Elise4270 OMG!! I found the perfect race that we have to do together. It's not until December, but it's called the POOP Race!!! Yes...POOP Race. It stands for Protect Our Oklahoma Parks. It's in Norman, OK at Lake Thunderbird State Park. Here's the website: https://pooptrailrun.org/

Get this...awards will be realistic scat models!! Female Masters will most likely be Cougar Scat!! Lol! I'm going to try my best to win that!! Lol!!

I hope you're in because this sounds so awesome!

Omg!!!!! That sounds great!!! Maybe I'll have some speed back and we both can go home with prized cat scats!!

I'm putting it on my calendar!!!
  • donnadski
    donnadski Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    exercise.png
    [/url]
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    It's been super busy at work so I haven't been commenting much. I was at least reading until today, so now I'm really behind.

@Elise4270 OMG!! I found the perfect race that we have to do together. It's not until December, but it's called the POOP Race!!! Yes...POOP Race. It stands for Protect Our Oklahoma Parks. It's in Norman, OK at Lake Thunderbird State Park. Here's the website: https://pooptrailrun.org/

Get this...awards will be realistic scat models!! Female Masters will most likely be Cougar Scat!! Lol! I'm going to try my best to win that!! Lol!!

Omg!!!!! That sounds great!!! Maybe I'll have some speed back and we both can go home with prized cat scats!!

@Elise4270 Yay!! I'll add it to my calendar too!! There's 2.5, 5.5, and 13.1 mile options. Hoping hubby and the kiddo will come along to do the 2.5 mile option. I want to try the HM. My son doesn't think fake Scat awards sound totally awesome. Not sure who he takes after!! Lol
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »

@Elise4270 Yay!! I'll add it to my calendar too!! There's 2.5, 5.5, and 13.1 mile options. Hoping hubby and the kiddo will come along to do the 2.5 mile option. I want to try the HM. My son doesn't think fake Scat awards sound totally awesome. Not sure who he takes after!! Lol

I saw the distance and registration opens in a week or so. I think I'll hope for the half, but may just do 5.5. my daughter would not like the fake scat either, but would love the POOP run. (Another IBS'r). She has "I'm only speeding because I have to poop" on her car. Yours is young enough to think it's hilarious though. And a boy. *Scratches head*
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    April 1- 42.2
    April 2- 7.6
    April 3- 14
    April 4- 13.4
    April 5- Off
    April 6- 10
    April 7- 15.8
    April 8- Sick baby, so much crying (only like 5% me)
    April 9- 9.5
    April 10- 15.5
    April 11- 11.1
    April 12- 7.3
    April 13- Off
    April 14- 15.7
    April 15- 19.1
    April 16- 7.4
    April 17- 15.2
    April 18- 19.1
    April 19- Off
    April 20- 15

237.9 km/300 km

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    01 April – 5 km parkrun PB! 25:42
    02 April – 21.2 km HM with no fuel – bad idea!
    05 April – 7 km
    07 April – 4.2 km
    08 April – 0.4 km parkrun setup
    09 April – 14.6 km Run 4 the Kids 1:25:17 – top 25% in my age group!
    11 April – 5.7 km
    12 April – 9.4 km
    15 April – 7.4 km including parkrun with my niece
    16 April – 26 km LSR
    18 April – 8.4 km
    19 April – 11.6 km

Help me, data geeks!

I did a 14.6 km race two weeks ago, and a 26 km run 5 days ago, and 5 other runs, but my Strava Fitness has gone down. This doesn't seem right.

Stravaff20170421_zpswix9fsn7.jpg
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    4/1- 15.23
    4/2- 3.14
    4/3- 7.07
    4/4- 3.69
    4/5- 9
    3/6- REST
    4/7- 5.12
    4/8- 17.58
    4/9- 4.05
    4/10- 7.13
    4/11- 3.79
    4/12- 9
    4/13- REST
    4/14- 17
    4/15- 5.11
    4/16- 4.06
    4/17- 5.71
    4/18- REST
    4/19- 7.14
    4/20- REST
    4/21- 3.69

Total: 127.51

Monthly Goal: Stay "healthy" and get in good marathon training
    Nominal Mileage goal: 191 miles.

Today's notes: Got up at 0414 and was running by 0425. Got my 3 easy miles done in 29:31 for an average pace of 9:42 and average HR of 150. It really was a nice, easy, run. Did my 4 strides right after, legs feeling a little sluggish, but strides are more about helping with form than just going fast, so that's OK.

2017 Races
    6/16- William A Irvin 5k
    6/17- Grandma's Marathon (Full!)
    8/19- Rampage at the Ridge 5k OCR
    9/23- Ely Marathon (full)
    10/21 Wild Duluth 50k<- yeah, I'm crazy enough to go for it
    11/23- TBD 5k Turkey Trot