April 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 That's cool! It seems like a lot of folks I have talked to rate the WD 50k and 100k as among the best they have run. That makes me feel great about it.... though how they all say it's challenging has me a bit nervous.... Oh well, I guess that's what running the slopes at Giant's ridge is for.

Oh, pick his brain about the WD 50 more for me....
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    So, I was pulling out my beloved Brooke glycerin 13s to pack for my saturday run, and noticed this wear pattern on the left shoe. Something to worry about? Mainly thinking where the black is totally worn down on the outside of the heel. Right shoe has similar wear pattern, but it's not as far along.

@MNLittleFinn With a 10mm drop it's hard NOT to have heel wear. The outsole's purpose is to protect the midsole. If you're feet and legs feel find running in those, that's all that matters.

@kgirlhart Kudos for running in that heat!

@MNlittlefinn my Glycerin 12s have the same basic wear that you describe on yours. I still wear them, cause I love them so much!
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    It's been more than a week since I've run; have been trying to recover this knee issue. As part of that, I've stopped using certain shoes and ordered some that are very similar to the pair I retired recently (that seemed to work well). Those shoes are supposed to arrive today, so I hope to get a reasonable length run in tonight (not too far, as part of the recovery plan is to not raise distance too much too quickly).

Suffice it to say, I will not achieve my April goal.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @MNlittlefinn my Glycerin 12s have the same basic wear that you describe on yours. I still wear them, cause I love them so much!

Yeah, I absolutely LOVE my Glycerin 13s and 14s. I have a second pair of the 13, for when they die, and I'll be looking at getting another 2 pairs of the 14s when the 15s come out, so I have back ups.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Hope you heal up quickly @midwesterner85. At least you know the source of the problem.
  • MNLittleFinn
    edited April 2017
    Options
    On the topic of shoe wear...I have too many shoes. I am hoping by fall to have worn them all out. My goal at that time is to only run barefoot and naked through the woods, using streams/snow for water, and maybe fuel up for my runs with local berries and maybe a squirrel or two.

OK, I am WAY too chatty today. Freaking rest day!!

That's why I work with extreme high needs children....there's no such thing as a real rest day. But yesterday was killer for me too. Today's 3 miler was NOT enough to get the runenergy out......

And you reminded me, I need to get another pair of lower drop street shoes.... only 1/5 pairs are lower than 10mm drop.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    On the topic of shoe wear...I have too many shoes. I am hoping by fall to have worn them all out. My goal at that time is to only run barefoot and naked through the woods, using streams/snow for water, and maybe fuel up for my runs with local berries and maybe a squirrel or two.

I too have a variety of shoes. I have two pairs of barefoot shoes - vivobarefoot evo and vivobarefoot trail. Last week I did a short run in the evos (they're road shoes) and my calves ached A LOT. Yesterday I did a short run in the trails and my calves are fine. Both runs were on tarmac surfaces. Go figure.

One thing I did notice was my gait was completely different in the barefoot shoes. I've noticed I seem to run sort of straight-legged kicking my feet forward, but when I run in barefoot shoes I am sort of cycling my legs. I think it's partly because the barefoot shoes don't weigh anything.

I like the idea of running barefoot naked and living off snow and berries but there are certain practical considerations. We don't have much snow here in the UK where I live, but plenty of streams so I guess that would be okay, and berries are great but only available certain times of year. And then there's midges and horseflies. There are parts of my anatomy I wouldn't appreciate being bitten by one of those critters (midges get you through clothes I suppose) so naked is out too.

Back to clothes it is then.

• angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,812 Member
    Options
    MrsBoney12 wrote: »
    Coming into this late, but I'm on track for 23 miles this month, so I'll stick to that. Next month I'll shoot higher. Beginner runner, here. And in the sake of transparency, those miles are walk/jog.

All of my miles are run/walk intervals, they started off 50/50, now its at about 80/20. As long as you are out there doing it, thats what matters is the way I see it
  • WhatMeRunning
    edited April 2017
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »

I too have a variety of shoes. I have two pairs of barefoot shoes - vivobarefoot evo and vivobarefoot trail. Last week I did a short run in the evos (they're road shoes) and my calves ached A LOT. Yesterday I did a short run in the trails and my calves are fine. Both runs were on tarmac surfaces. Go figure.

One thing I did notice was my gait was completely different in the barefoot shoes. I've noticed I seem to run sort of straight-legged kicking my feet forward, but when I run in barefoot shoes I am sort of cycling my legs. I think it's partly because the barefoot shoes don't weigh anything.

I like the idea of running barefoot naked and living off snow and berries but there are certain practical considerations. We don't have much snow here in the UK where I live, but plenty of streams so I guess that would be okay, and berries are great but only available certain times of year. And then there's midges and horseflies. There are parts of my anatomy I wouldn't appreciate being bitten by one of those critters (midges get you through clothes I suppose) so naked is out too.

Back to clothes it is then.
    Oak mites and ticks are the biggest problem here for naked running, and that is only in the summer. You pretty much would need to save your long leggings and long sleeves for summer to keep them away, then bask in the cooler winter weather naked and bug-free. :lol: Frostbite could be an issue though. :grimace:

All of my shoes are fairly high drop (Brooks Glycerin and Ghosts mostly) and padded to the Nth degree. It should be quite an adjustment. But I'm ready for it. I already focus on forefoot striking. I'm just not ready to go barefoot + zero drop in the middle of base building like I am currently, and not while I still have 14 pairs of shoes to go through. I figure after my fall events will be a good time to start changing things.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    My update...

4/1 8mi 1:14:29min
    4/2 rest
    4/3 4mi 34:55min
    4/4 4.55mi 43:06min
    4/5 rest
    4/6 5mi 46:47min
    4/7 3mi 25:53min
    4/8 9mi 1:24:34min
    4/9 rest
    4/10 5mi 45:44min
    4/11 7mi 1:03:31min
    4/12 rest
    4/13 4mi 35:51min
    4/14 3mi 26:07min
    4/15 10mi 1:35:12min
    4/16 rest
    4/17 5mi 46:22min
    4/18 4.3mi 38:55min
    4/19 5mi 43:06min <- my fastest 5 miler in a long time!
    4/20 rest
    4/21 4mi 35:46min

Tomorrow is a 9 miler. I did 10 last week so 9 should feel "easy" :smile:
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options

@whatmerunning #runninggoals
  • Mari33a
    Mari33a Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    01/04 4.04 miles
    03/04 3.10 miles
    05/04 3.51miles
    06/04 4.14 miles
    07/04 3.10 miles
    11/04 3.01 miles
    13/04 3.52 miles
    14/04 4.06 miles
    15/04 4.12 miles
    16/04 3.54 miles
    18/04 3.60 miles
    19/04 4.09 miles
    20/04 4.09 miles
    21/04 4.60 miles

@MobyCarp and @Iporter229 - Huge Congratulations on your Boston marathon achievements

exercise.png

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options

:lol:

Actually, I was trying to restrain from yet another post (I don't mean to add too many pages of chit-chat today). But now I see this as too good of an opportunity to share my fall running goal events.

My fall goal had been to build up to really long distances, and was unsure if I would do a full marathon or a 50k.

In the spirit of how I always seem to do things, I decided to set my fall goals as ALL OF THE ABOVE (insert dunce hat emoticon here).

In fall 2015 I ran 3 full marathons in a 30 day span (29 day span actually, but I digress). I should add that this was free of injuries. I have been remarking on that for a while now, I think I have to prove to myself again that it is possible.

In spring 2016 I ran 5 back to back (weekends) half marathons within a series of 7 half marathons that spring. Again injury free. Although switching to trails soon after with new shoes that made me fall 4 times in the first 1.5 miles did result in injury, but that is the fault of the user and especially the shoes, not the efforts.

So now in 2017, looking forward to fall, I am targeting the following 4 marathon distances over a 5 week period:
    10/21 - Kansas City Marathon
    10/28 - Prairie Spirit Trail 50k (rails to trails, not real trails)
    11/12 - Gobbler Grind Marathon
    11/19 - Pilgrim Pacer Marathon

The 3 fulls are the same 3 fulls I ran in 2015, so that is the part where I prove to myself whether I can do that feat again. The 50k is the stretch goal, plus it can be my first official 50k.

OK, I promise I'll shut up now.

This has been one HELLUVA rest day!

Truth be told though, I decided this a couple days ago but decided to sit on it for a few days. I sat. Time to run.

Great goals! I didn't know you had marathons under your belt, er jog strap? Haha! We love hearing your chit chat.
  • WhatMeRunning
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »

Actually, I was trying to restrain from yet another post (I don't mean to add too many pages of chit-chat today). But now I see this as too good of an opportunity to share my fall running goal events.

My fall goal had been to build up to really long distances, and was unsure if I would do a full marathon or a 50k.

In the spirit of how I always seem to do things, I decided to set my fall goals as ALL OF THE ABOVE (insert dunce hat emoticon here).

In fall 2015 I ran 3 full marathons in a 30 day span (29 day span actually, but I digress). I should add that this was free of injuries. I have been remarking on that for a while now, I think I have to prove to myself again that it is possible.

In spring 2016 I ran 5 back to back (weekends) half marathons within a series of 7 half marathons that spring. Again injury free. Although switching to trails soon after with new shoes that made me fall 4 times in the first 1.5 miles did result in injury, but that is the fault of the user and especially the shoes, not the efforts.

So now in 2017, looking forward to fall, I am targeting the following 4 marathon distances over a 5 week period:

The 3 fulls are the same 3 fulls I ran in 2015, so that is the part where I prove to myself whether I can do that feat again. The 50k is the stretch goal, plus it can be my first official 50k.

Truth be told though, I decided this a couple days ago but decided to sit on it for a few days. I sat. Time to run.

Great goals! I didn't know you had marathons under your belt, er jog strap? Haha! We love hearing your chit chat.
    Well, those are my ONLY 3 marathons stuffed into my jog strap. :blush: I'm overdue to stuff another one or 4 in there. :naughty: I did earn that Marathon Maniacs shirt in my profile pic, I didn't just buy it. I also have a hat. :smiley: And Double Agent gear. Yeah, I'm a running nerd apparently. :wink:
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »

Well, those are my ONLY 3 marathons stuffed into my jog strap. I'm overdue to stuff another one or 4 in there. I did earn that Marathon Maniacs shirt in my profile pic, I didn't just buy it. I also have a hat. And Double Agent gear. Yeah, I'm a running nerd apparently.

Ya, well we knew you were a running nerd when you admitted to owning a jog strap :tongue:
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @WhatMeRunning you made me feel like a slacker, with my paltry 2 marathons and one 50k. I may need to find a November race to make up for it.