April 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• garygse
    garygse Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    @Orphia This is just pure guessing on my part, but I would think that it's because of increased fatigue after running a race and doing a 26km run. The title of the page says Fitness and Freshness, and I don't see a freshness score, so perhaps freshness affects part of the overall fitness score? Dunno, just a thought.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    @Orphia I'm not familiar with how Strava does this at all, but it looks to me like it is just correcting a previous over-estimation. Not that your fitness has gone down, but that the previous estimate was just too high.
  • garygse
    garygse Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Today's run was a low-mileage easy run, and after this I'm taking the weekend off because I'm a total slacker like that. Have a great weekend everyone, run safe, and stay free of injuries.

03 - 13.37
    04 - 9.59
    05 - 13.39
    06 - 10.75
    07 - 13.36
    10 - 10.73
    11 - 9.27
    12 - 8.16
    13 - 8.89
    14 - 2.33
    15 - 13.14
    18 - 11.37
    19 - 13.51
    20 - 8.89
    21 - 5.46

Total: 152.21 / 175 miles
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    @Orphia - I still haven't made much sense out of Strava's data yet so I have pretty much been sticking with my Sport Tracks data since it works for me and I'm already familiar with it. Strava has been telling me I should be so fatigued I should have broken both legs and died. I disagree 10000%. But I would say there are 3 main things that will cause this, not sure if any of these 3 help solve your mystery:

1. Your fitness has reached a plateau on your current schedule. Your fitness will remain relatively flattish or even go down unless you increase your training load to get it moving upwards to new levels. If you look at first of my Sport Tracks data snapshots below (the top one), you will see the section that is solid colored are the runs I have done, and the future scheduled ones to the right of that. On the gentle upward slopes the last 4 weeks were my 4 mile easy runs. Over the last week where you see the data trending flat is the same 4 mile easy run. The last two of these actually trend downward by 2 points meaning they are more "recovery" runs than training runs at this point indicating I could probably do more. If I did a solid week of easy 4 mile runs right now my fitness would actually go down. I'm not sure if this fits your schedule or not, but if you have been running similar distances (or farther) for a long enough period of time, then they will no longer challenge your fitness and your fitness may even decline some.

2. You are taking too many days off. While it may not feel like it, you actually lose quite a bit of fitness very quickly on days off. People complain about their first run back after a break as being tough, and when you see this in graph form it becomes apparent why. In the second snapshot below (the bottom one) I removed my planned runs over the next two weeks to compare the data. The first thing to note is that today is a rest day and you can see how much my fitness level dropped just today in both snapshots. In the bottom snapshot you can see how this continues dropping over the next two weeks. After this two weeks my scheduled workouts pick up and you can see the impact they have, and see how the slopes move up to catch up to where I was previously. While it shows my fitness catching back up after the same 2 week period, look at my performance. It is lower and steadily headed down because I had to take on extra fatigue to catch back up. I am far worse off obviously, and headed for injury as you can see my fatigue level steadily climbing at a higher rate than my fitness. That is a bad mix. Taking regular 2-3 days off in your schedule can make it really hard to keep your fitness level and could easily result in an overall drop, and the only way to keep it even is to take on a bunch of fatigue when you do run, which may mean more fitness, but no extra performance. You will perform at a flat level, just run further, and accumulate more fatigue than you should. Even too many 1 day breaks could do the same if too many of your runs are not all that challenging, as those runs just keep your lowered fitness at a level state, and the next day off lowers it again. For example if I did a series of 4 mile easy runs followed by a days rest, I would lose fitness quickly, losing fitness on the 4 mile run days, and then a bunch more on the next rest day. I may feel like I'm doing strong since I'm still running regularly, and probably feel really strong on my 4 mile runs, but that is just my increased performance from the reduced fatigue. Fatigue drops faster than fitness, so when you start sloping downward you feel strong. This is what makes keeping your pace down during a taper period or on race day so hard to do. You are at a new level of performance you are not accustomed to running with. You have a lot more "oomph" than before. Yet despite this added "oomph" my fitness is at an overall lower level and continuing to decline in that example of on/off 4 milers.

3. Your data is wrong. For this you have to compare some of your recent ones to matching runs a couple weeks back. Look for matching HR, pace, etc, and compare the suffer scores. The suffer score is what I believe Strava uses to determine training load which in turn results in fitness gains. While same pace/HR one day may not exactly match the next, it should be close. If things are way off recently, then something is wrong with your data resulting in skewed numbers on your graphs.

Hope this helps and you find an answer. I would find that terribly frustrating to feel I was putting in real effort but seeing data telling me I was losing fitness.

SportTracks_zpsbxdcetp7.png

SportTracks2_zpsjl9muex0.png
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options

A short slog with a soggy dog, in the rain, to keep me sane.

I know it will still be a while, but I can't wait to get back to running with my pup. I miss our runs and I know she does too!
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Date Miles today - Miles for April
    4/1 20 miles - 20
    4/2 10 miles - 30
    4/3 REST DAY
    4/4 10 miles - 40
    4/4 4 miles - 44 << Daily Double
    4/5 6.2 miles - 50.2
    4/6 6.2 miles - 56.4
    4/6 4 miles - 60.4 << Daily Double
    4/7 REST DAY
    4/8 16 miles - 76.4
    4/9 REST DAY
    4/10 7 miles - 83.4
    4/11 7.5 miles - 90.9
    4/12 REST DAY
    4/13 8 miles - 98.9
    4/14 5 miles - 103.9
    4/15 14.5 miles - 118.4
    4/16 REST DAY
    4/17 6.2 miles - 124.6
    4/18 5.5 miles - 130.1
    4/19 5 miles - 135.1
    4/20 5.5 miles - 140.6
    4/21 4 miles - 144.6

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    UAH 8K - 3/6 <<< 34:33 3 in AG
    Oak Barrel HM - 4/2 <<<< 1:38:00 3 in AG
    Bridge Street HM - 4/10 <<< 1:36:33 3 in AG
    PEO-AVN Team Day 5K - 5/4 <<< 19:10 (2.9 mi) 1 in AG 5 OA
    Cotton Row Run 10K - 5/30 << 44:57 PR
    Firecracker Chase 10.2 miler 6/25 << 1:20:22 1 in AG & 15 OA
    Huntsville Half Marathon - 11/12 << 1:35:55 2 in AG & 25 OA
    Rocket City Marathon - 12/10 << 2:44:41
    Elkmont Hound Dog Half (unofficial) - 1/21 << 1:46:48 2 OA
    Elkmont Hound Dog Half (rescheduled) - 2/18 << 1:41:04 1 in AG & 24 OA
    Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon - 4/29

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @Stoshew71 looks like you have 1 week to go, how's taper treating you?
  • Bakins929
    Bakins929 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Have been working way too much to even post here, have like 15 pages to catch up on. I did get in 5 on Tuesday and 4 this morning.
    45.3 of 60 miles

exercise.png
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    @BeeerRunner - HA! I totally want to run that!!!
    @angmarie28 - Yay for you! Totally exciting!
    @MNLittleFinn - I get that wear pattern, too. I think it is because I underpronate / supinate. It doesn't get quite as bad as that far edge for you, but I don't think it is a huge concern. If you are worried about it, hit the running store and ask them.

Everyone, thanks for all the insight regarding a full. Not sure about adding it yet, but strongly considering. It may hinge on my wife's new work schedule and how it impacts our family schedule. But, based on what everyone is saying, I think I could make the training work.

4/1 - 7.7 miles in sunny San Diego
    4/2 - Travel day
    4/3 - Rest day
    4/4 - 5 comfortable miles.
    4/5 - 4.4 miles.
    4/6 - 5.05 miles.
    4/7 - Unplanned rest day.
    4/8 - 6.31 super hilly miles.
    4/9 - Too many hills :-(
    4/10 - 5 miles.
    4/11 - 4.93 miles of track/speed work. Then upper body weights.
    4/12 - 4.5 miles.
    4/13 - 4.9 miles. Some hip soreness that I am going to have to keep an eye on.
    4/14 - Unplanned rest day / life day / holiday prep.
    4/15 - 9 mile group run. Hip not perfect, but improved.
    4/16 - 5 miles. Ugh...too much buffet.
    4/17 - Planned rest day.
    4/18 - 4 miles of track/speed work. Then upper body weights.
    4/19 - 5 miles.
    4/20 - 5.1 treadmill miles. Trek class. Humid at the Y today!!
    4/21 - 4.20 miles in honor of yesterday's "holiday"

exercise.png
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options

A short slog with a soggy dog, in the rain, to keep me sane.

How very poetic! Love it!
  • WhatMeRunning
    edited April 2017
    Options
    @Orphia - In case it helps I added my Strava "Fitness and Freshness" snapshot to compare against Sport Tracks. The fitness graph pretty closely matches my Sport Tracks graph, and the Fatigue chart is pretty similar too, only grossly overstated in my opinion. What Strava calls "Form" does not quite match up to what is called "Performance" in Sport Tracks though. The only gripe I really have with Strava is the Fatigue as reported. Compared to how I am used to trying to keep my "Fitness" ahead of my "Fatigue", the way Strava lays things out I am always supposedly wiped out from so much "Fatigue". It's just a difference in how they report things, but I am not happy with having to guess how much my fatigue compares to my fitness in Strava whereas in Sport Tracks it is a lot more obvious. It's just a personal preference, and is why as I stated earlier I still rely on Sport Tracks for now as I'm not adapted to the Strava data yet (or too happy with it either, really).

Strava_zpswfdzaskd.png
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,793 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    4/2-3.3 miles
    4/3-3 miles
    4/5-3.5 miles
    4/6-2.5 miles
    4/8-4.2 miles
    4/9-5 miles
    4/14-5 miles
    4/17-6 miles
    4/18-3 miles
    4/20-2 miles
    4/21-3miles
    total-40.5 miles

Got up early again to run, but my 2 year old woke up asking for milk, so I got her milk and then after getting ready to run, I laid back down waiting to make sure she was back to sleep. I so easily could have gone back to sleep, but I knew that is the only time I'd have today to run, so about 5:15am I decided she was back to sleep, and went and got on the treadmill. This morning run went WAY better than yesterday. yesterday i just could not get into it, I averaged a 13:34. Today I felt I could go on forever, I did 3 miles at an 11:51 pace, and that included my 2 minute warm up walk. I'm obviously still a slow runner, but I'm ok with that knowing it will improve with time.

exercise.png

Training for:
    5/14-womens run-5mile
    7/9- Missoula Marathon-Full Marathon
    9/17- Montana Marathon-Full marathon
  • Azercord
    Azercord Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn from your shoe picture it looks a lot like mine. I get the wear from when I walk in my running shoes (I tend to scuff my heels). I've never had it give me an issue though because I land in different places depending on if I'm running or walking.
  • WhatMeRunning
    edited April 2017
    Options
    @Orphia - After all that replying and comparing graphs, I think the issue is #2 that I mentioned, perhaps with a little bit of #1. If you look at your Fatigue and Form graphs, over recent time your fatigue dropped significantly and form went up while your fitness dropped. Compared to the period several weeks back when your fatigue was generally rising or steady, form down or steady, and fitness going up. In that case I would say you are not running enough regularly to make fitness gains and are basically in a "recovery pattern". That is not a bad thing necessarily, these are necessary every few months, especially after completing any target events you trained and tapered for to heal up. May not be what you want to hear, but that's my two cents worth from looking at the data and thinking about it for a while. The prescription to get more fitness is to "run more".

Hope this helps.
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    @Orphia I don't have Strava premium, but I used Training Peaks premium for a trial period a bit ago, that had a similar feature. I remember having problem #3 from @WhatMeRunning 's list:
    ever since my HRM started acting up, the values started going up and down like crazy.
    e.g. one day the HRM would give me 200+ HR for an easy run, and my fitness went down a lot, the next day it showed a HR around 100 during a tempo run and fitness shot back up...

So maybe check that you didn't change the HRmax settings, and that the values during the last runs all look okay.

• Run4life375
    Run4life375 Posts: 98 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    3 miles yesterday, 4 miles today!

exercise.png
  • WhatMeRunning
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Welcome @beeraxdidit and others just joining in! :smile:

@MrsBoney12 - No worries about walk/run. I do the same. I don't follow the Galloway Method, I just go by HR zones since I have a HR monitor. When my HR gets to a higher zone than I want for the run I start to walk. When it gets back to the base level of my target zone I start running again. Repeat until done. :smile: Believe it or not, you can get faster doing this. Of course you will also find yourself able to run further in your comfort zones over time until finally you can run the whole way. As a point of reference, when I started running in Summer 2014, it was not until September 2015 that I ran my first HM the whole way through. That was a seriously huge achievement for me. It was my 7th HM overall, all of the ones prior required some walking. It is totally normal and acceptable to do walk/run until your body has fully adapted, which can take time depending on where you are starting from.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    So, I was pulling out my beloved Brooke glycerin 13s to pack for my saturday run, and noticed this wear pattern on the left shoe. Something to worry about? Mainly thinking where the black is totally worn down on the outside of the heel. Right shoe has similar wear pattern, but it's not as far along.

@MNLittleFinn With a 10mm drop it's hard NOT to have heel wear. The outsole's purpose is to protect the midsole. If you're feet and legs feel find running in those, that's all that matters.

@kgirlhart Kudos for running in that heat!