April 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 thanks for those thoughts on the race - I'm nowhere near that yet but good to see how others approach trail races, it tends to be different to road.

Do you not have a list of required kit to carry? Here in Europe there are requirements such as a whistle, full waterproofs, fully charged mobile phone etc. You get kicked off if they do a random search and you don't have the items.

Good to hear your MIL is off the ventilator, but as you know it's not gonna get any better. My sister has MS and I know how random it can all be. Really sucks.
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,799 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I didnt run AGAIN last night, ugh. I planned to after putting my 2 year old down for the night, but before I did that, i had some overwhelming tiredness hit me, and I couldnt stay awake, so much that i just put my daughter to bed with me, and then forgot to set my alarm earlier to get up aand run, so no run this morning. on the good side, my side ache is now just a minimal dull pain, nothing that will keep me from my run.

I will run tonight, not sure when or how, but it will happen. My oldest has scouts from 7-9 which is 1/2 mile from the school i work at, Id like to go run the track there, but it might be too rainy, but if its not heavy rain, I will run there, if it is too heavy, I may have to go home during that time and run the treadmill, but I live 20 minutes away, so thats kind of a waist, but I will get a run in regardless.
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,799 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    @BeeerRunner - My first thought was "ice cream", but honestly I'm probably not the best at incentives for most kids. My 3 youngest (from 5 to 17) are all on the spectrum. My wife and I are very familiar with incentives to get them to do things, but they are all immediate gratification things that while they seem small to us, are HUGE for them. So it is something we do a lot. My 17 year old would do anything for ice cream, and my first thought was just some sort of treat like that. But looking back, I don't think anyone would have seen me running for ice cream when I was a teenager. So...yeah...not sure.

I also have a kid on the spectrum, my middle son, hes 8, there are sometimes a lot of incentives, but for him, he loves loves loves to workout, so that is the intensive for him, "if you do this, you can run on moms treadmill" oh ya, he is all on whatever "it" is if it will get him treadmill time, haha
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    @jessicalferrara With how much you probably spent on those, I would contact them for repair or replacement 1st. If you want a cheap pair that works, this is what I use:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01BV2BPVS/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1493320425&sr=8-2&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=taotronics+bluetooth+headphones&dpPl=1&dpID=419M6D-aU8L&ref=plSrch

I've had them well over a year now without issue.
    The battery life is long enough to get me through a marathon. If I lost them or if they break, they are cheap enough that I wouldn't be upset.

@WhatMeRunning Well, that gave me a great idea!! Yes, my son loves ice cream and it would probably motivate him, but having it in the house is dangerous to my waistline. ;) However candy would totally work! I could get gross candy that only kids like, such as ring pops or airheads.

@7lenny7 Thanks for the pre race recap. I've pretty much decided that I'm going to do either a trail marathon or a 50K in early 2018. I'm going to try to qualify for Boston in October. If I don't, then I'll try again in February. If I do qualify in October, then a trail marathon but most likely a 50K will be on the agenda. For Jan to March of 2018.

@Stoshew71 Loved the carb loading pic!! Best wishes this weekend!!
  • Bakins929
    Bakins929 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Well, I got in 6.21 miles today! This is the first 10k I have run in a long time. It wasn't a race, just a run. For me, not a bad time, 1:12:53 Last 10k race for me was about 2004, maybe. Not too far off my goal now.

exercise.png

He could..go..all..the..way!!
  • NikolaosKey
    NikolaosKey Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 So sorry to hear about your MIL. Courage body. Have an extra 40k to honour her!
  • Azercord
    Azercord Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 Nice pre-report between you and now @MNLittleFinn I want to look for an ultra to run...I've never run anywhere close to that far but gotta start somewhere.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    @7lenny7 thanks for those thoughts on the race - I'm nowhere near that yet but good to see how others approach trail races, it tends to be different to road.

Do you not have a list of required kit to carry? Here in Europe there are requirements such as a whistle, full waterproofs, fully charged mobile phone etc. You get kicked off if they do a random search and you don't have the items.

Good to hear your MIL is off the ventilator, but as you know it's not gonna get any better. My sister has MS and I know how random it can all be. Really sucks.

A few ultra trail races in the US do have a required kit, but most do not. There's just not that big of a risk at most races.

• 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    @Stoshew71 have a great race!!
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    girlinahat wrote: »

A few ultra trail races in the US do have a required kit, but most do not. There's just not that big of a risk at most races.

I'm not an ultra-runner (yet...), but I'll add that some races I've looked at require lights and/or reflective vests and such when the run goes into the night.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @stoshew71 that's the one! I just had to laugh when I saw it on FB. Tomorrow is sectional meet all day so I'll give you my good lucks right now, you are so ready for this race. Enjoy and I'll be following you.

@7lenny7 get thought out list. Glad to hear your MIL is breathing on her own. I'll continue to keep your family in my prayers.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    @Stoshew71 have a great race!!

Thank you sir. You as well if you don't DNS. Continued prayers and thoughts for your family and MIL.

• RunTimer
    RunTimer Posts: 9,137 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    April Fools Run ,...
    all others, walk :D

4/09 - Hike, 2mi
    4/14 - Commuter run, 8.3
    4/25 - Commuter Run, 8.3
    4/27 - BallPark run, 5.0

Looks like I'm gonna fall short this month of the 50 I projected
    I could blame the foot injury, but I think just stopped too often to take pretty pics

Hike along Coyote Canyon
    2huwa91mhxx0.jpg

Run around the Ball park on game day (what was I, nuts?)kta6b0ypw6k3.jpg