April 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Still no running for me. I've been getting sicker vs better so I doubt running is going to improve matters. Right now my goal is to get well. I don't want to drag this into next week.

Taking my hubby for MRI today and Tuesday we have a surgery consult to get him a port due to his horrible veins. He needs the Crohns drug infusions more often than generally prescribed and constant bloodwork on top of that, so he's ready to say goodbye to IVs. Lots going on with him as we are trying to get him in remission and he's worsening, so basically I ain't got time to be sick :wink:

@lporter229 Sorry you're having to sit out May. I've read all the horrible stories about high hamstring tendinopothy. I took off 8 weeks end of 2015 but kept in shape with fitness blender workouts. Hang in there and you'll be back running before you know it!
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    hesfeld wrote: »
    Supposed to be 47 degrees, windy, and maybe rainy for my 5k on Sunday. Everyone at work says I'm gonna freeze, but I'm excited. Now telling my mom who's coming to visit that we have to wake up at 4:30 am is a different story..

My profile photo was taken during a run on a 40-something degree day, though there wasn't a whole lot of wind. There were runners wearing everything from full-sleeve heavy tops and pants to some wearing shorts and no shirt (men) or sports bra (women, of course). As for me, you can see that my hands were cold, but otherwise, I was good. I ditched the gloves after the first couple miles, though.
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    9voice9 wrote: »
    Does anyone know of a good pair of wireless headphones where if you sweat a lot they won't stop working?!

I've recommended these a few times: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0047Y1HMK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have used these for 3 months. So far so good. They are relatively inexpensive, have held up to rain and sweat, and come with a warranty. Only drawback, the sound quality is not bad but is certainly not the best. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BV2BPVS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    @hesfeld Good luck in your 5K this weekend.

@lporter229 Sorry to hear you have to take a running break. I did the entire P90X3 workout to start off my fitness journey. The MMX workout was my favorite. If you join a gym that offers Body Pump, I would recommend it. I think I need to get back to taking it once my left leg feels 100% again. That class really helped my muscle definition.

@angmarie28 Your niece is adorable!

@amymoreorless ... "boob muscles.." :lol::D:D I think that should be the new term. ;) Runger sucks!! People told me I could eat whatever I wanted when marathon training. Nope!! I don't burn that many calories!
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    April Running Challenge

4/1 Eagle Mt cleanup: picked up trash with the family for 2 hours, filled 6 trash bags between the 3 of us.
    4/2 13.1 mile run.
    4/3 Strength, 12.3 miles stationary bike, yoga
    4/4 9.8 miles stationary bike
    4/5 12.35 miles stationary bike
    4/6 40 minutes elliptical, 20 minutes stationary bike
    4/7 40 minute slow dog walk
    4/8 95 minutes of elliptical
    4/9 1.1 mile run, 3.4 mile dog walk
    4/10 40 minutes elliptical
    4/11 3 mile run...yay!!!
    4/12 3.1 mile run in the morning and walked Spotzilla 3 miles in the evening
    4/13 45 minutes on the stationary bike, 45 minutes of strength
    4/14 Rest Day
    4/15 4 mile pain free run, 5.6 mile hike with the family
    4/16 3 mile slog run...ate too much Easter food
    4/17 Strength and XT: 55 minutes Elliptical with 5x5 minute speed intervals
    4/18 4.1 mile run
    4/19 50 minutes on stationary bike
    4/20 6 mile run
    4/21 3.2 mile dog walk and yoga
    4/22 10 mile run
    4/23 3.2 mile dog walk
    4/24 9.6 mile bike ride...OUTSIDE!!
    4/25 3.1 mile run, 2.5 mile bike ride
    4/26 6 mile run, 6.3 mile bike ride
    4/27 4 mile run

Goal: 60.5 of 150
    Bike: 71.8 miles, Walk: 17.2 miles, Elliptical: 230 minutes

Completed Races:
    Cowtown Marathon (Full) Feb 26: 3:54:06 / 8:56 min/mile

Upcoming Races:

Chicago Spring Half Marathon: May 21 (Registered)
    Run the Rails 5K June 3 (Tentative)
    XTERRA Jurassic Trail Run (HM at night) Jul 8 (Tentative)
    La Sportiva Vail Half Marathon: Jul 22 (Tentative)
    Milwaukee Lakefront Marathon: Oct 1 (Tentative)
    POOP Trail Run (HM) Dec 2

It's been very windy here, and my allergies are killing me!! Running went well last night. As long as I wear the calf sleeve, knee sleeve (arthritis), and IT band strap, I can run pain free. Stupid left leg!!

I'm totally not making my running goal this month, but I stayed active when I couldn't run so I added those stats up top.
  • snowyne
    snowyne Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    4/1 - 7.0 mi.
    4/2 - 4.0 mi
    4/3 - 3.6 mi.
    4/4 - rest
    4/5 - 6.0 mi.
    4/6 - 4.0 mi.
    4/7 - 5.0 mi.
    4/8 - 4.4 mi.
    4/9 - rest
    4/10 - 4.4 mi.
    4/11 - 4.0 mi.
    4/12 - 4.9 mi. (oh, honestly...why didn't I eke out another .1 for a nice even 5?? :p )
    4/13 - 3.1 mi.
    4/14 - 5.0 mi.
    4/15 - 3.9 mi.
    4/16 - rest - happy easter!
    4/17 - 4.0 mi.
    4/18 - 4.6 mi.
    4/19 - 4.1 mi.
    4/20 - 4.0 mi.
    4/21 - 5.5 mi.
    4/22 - 5.1 mi.
    4/23 - rest
    4/24 - 4.5 mi.
    4/25 - 3.5 mi.
    4/26 - 5.0 mi.
    4/27 - 4.2 mi.
    4/28 - 4.4 mi.

April goal: 108.2/100 miles
  • garygse
    garygse Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    @BeeerRunner I can't remember if I mentioned this before or not, so apologies if I'm repeating myself, but have you looked into immunotherapy? I did it for two years, and saw results after just a couple of months. Allergies used to slay me, but now I only take medication if stuff is blowing in from miles away, which isn't really that often.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,395 Member
    Options
    @amymoreorless - yep 'boob muscle' soreness is a real thing! :) honestly as you get stronger and do more you may come to welcome that DOMS cause it means you worked hard and earned it and are getting stronger as a result! I have been strength training longer than I have been running (I blame my trainer for my running addiction!) and I still get sore - sometimes it hurts to sit or stand up (the transition) sometimes it is impossible to lift my arms but it doesn't typically last too long, a day or two or maybe three at the most.
  • kimlight2
    kimlight2 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Question for the more seasoned runners on here:
    I have a 5K tomorrow, the first of a challenge series, and it is supposed to be thunderstorms all day and mid 60's. The race is an hour and a half away so I am trying to be over prepared. I am good with running in light rain but I have never done it in heavy rain or storms. Any clothing suggestions? I am thinking of duct taping the tops of my shoes to stop them from getting to wet from puddles. Does this actually work? Also what is better pants or shorts? That is normally short weather for me but with the rain I am not sure. I also have a pair of unlined rain pants I can use that I wear in the winter to stop the wind but no unlined rain jacket. Any and all suggestions would be great. I should also mention I am ridiculously slow so I will be out there a while. Thanks in advance.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    kimlight2 wrote: »
    I have a 5K tomorrow, the first of a challenge series, and it is supposed to be thunderstorms all day and mid 60's. The race is an hour and a half away so I am trying to be over prepared. I am good with running in light rain but I have never done it in heavy rain or storms. Any clothing suggestions? I am thinking of duct taping the tops of my shoes to stop them from getting to wet from puddles. Does this actually work? Also what is better pants or shorts? That is normally short weather for me but with the rain I am not sure. I also have a pair of unlined rain pants I can use that I wear in the winter to stop the wind but no unlined rain jacket. Any and all suggestions would be great. I should also mention I am ridiculously slow so I will be out there a while. Thanks in advance.

@kimlight2 Honestly, for a 5K, I'd dress for the temperature and wind and ignore the rain. You will get wet. Go with it instead of fighting it and your run will go better. Just make sure you wear the socks which work best when wet.

Have a change of dry clothes at the end, and a rain jacket of some sort.

• Bakins929
    Bakins929 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    I was able to get up early and get in a 5 mile run this morning. I completed my goal for the month!

exercise.png

Time for a nap! :smiley:
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    kimlight2 wrote: »

@kimlight2 Honestly, for a 5K, I'd dress for the temperature and wind and ignore the rain. You will get wet. Go with it instead of fighting it and your run will go better. Just make sure you wear the socks which work best when wet.

I agree with all of this.
  • Bakins929
    Bakins929 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »

Agreed! Some of my best races have been in the rain, and I actually enjoy running in the rain, but dry clothes at the end are a must. Riding home for an hour and half in wet clothes will not be fun!
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    @kimlight2 - I'll echo what @7lenny7 said. 5K isn't long enough to worry a whole lot about. Be sure you're wearing wool running socks. They won't keep your feet dry, but they'll keep your feet warm and you won't get blisters like you might with pure synthetics. Darn Tough and Smartwool brands work well. Note that they aren't 100% wool like the cheaper socks you could get for hiking and general winter wear, they're a wool/synthetic blend.

In the mid 60s, I'd go with shorts. In the 30s or 40s, I'd go with light tights. In the colder temps, my legs would still get wet but the tights would give me some protection from the cold. In the 60s, cold isn't a problem and I don't want the added weight of water soaked tights.

A dry change of clothes and a dry place to change into them after the race can greatly improve your post-race comfort level.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    @kimlight2 - Don't try to seal up your shoes. You need that moisture to escape. Running shoes are typically pretty well ventilated on the top and sealed on the bottom, so whatever water gets in should get squished out by running and will dry quicker. If you duct tape the top of your shoes not only will all that water get trapped in there, but they won't breathe properly. Your feet will suffer more from that.

The temps sound OK to me, I guess it depends on your tolerance. Compression type gear and Body Glide will be your biggest friend to help prevent chafing. It is wet clothing rubbing against your skin that causes that, so oddly enough, the less loose clothing, and coverage, the better. Don't go naked though.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    My run brain is trying to kill me I think. With the snow a couple days ago, I switched my run plan for tomorrow to my alternate 19 mile run. It's flatter, but it's also on roads and the snow is all off. Now though, I saw that there were a bunch of patches of clear path on the trail I was looking at running as plan A.... My run brain says "go for it" but the logical side of me says to take the flatter, more boring, yet probably safer and snow free route.
  • kimlight2
    kimlight2 Posts: 483 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    @7lenny7 , @MNLittleFinn , @Bakins929 , @MobyCarp Thank you for the help. I am a worrier by nature and tend to overthink. I do have a pair of Smartwool ankle socks that will do the trick and will not seal up my shoes. I will pack extra clothes (did not think about that honestly).

The temps sound OK to me, I guess it depends on your tolerance. Compression type gear and Body Glide will be your biggest friend to help prevent chafing. It is wet clothing rubbing against your skin that causes that, so oddly enough, the less loose clothing, and coverage, the better. Don't go naked though.

Awww @WhatMeRunning you take all the fun out of it. If people saw me running naked they would definitely run faster to get away LOL. Might lead to some nice PR's.

So wool socks, compression gear, shorts, BodyGlide and a change of clothes and shoes. Got it. Thanks everyone!