April 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    Ran a fun local 10K this morning. I was trying to finish it in 60 minutes but actually finished in 62 1/2 minutes - so close! Oh well.

64/100 miles done in April

Another 4 miles on Sunday in the beautiful weather. It was a tad humid but 68 and breezy -perfect.

Today a friend convinced me to try a kettle bell class before work. I am leaving for an out of town work conference on Wednesday so I know my running opportunities are going to be few and far between this week. I decided to squeeze in another 3 miles on the treadmill before the class.

Before today, I had never tried kettle bells. How hard could it be, right? Ha!! My butt has been thouroghly kicked! My whole body is still shaky 30 minutes later. I am going to be sore tomorrow....

71/100 miles done in April

This is the longest discussion thread ever! I can't keep up! Lol

I left for an out of town work conference on Wednesday- squeezed in 10 miles before I had to leave for the airport. I knew I wouldn't get much running in this week.... :( My diet has been crap with all the free food and alcohol. I just can't say no to free!

3 miles on the hotel treadmill on Thursday and another 3.5 boring treadmill miles this morning.

87.5/100 miles done in April

Another 10 miles done this morning. I ran with a group of runners for the first time. They were training with the Galloway method and doing walk/run intervals. It was fun having a group to chat with although it took me much longer to complete the miles with the walking segments thrown in

97.5/100 miles done in April
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    So many great Spring Photo's from everyone. Last year at this time it was 19-25C ( 66 - 77 F) and a Wildfire had caused the complete evacuation of the City of Fort McMurray. Today it is snowing and below zero across a large piece of the Northern part of the province.
    Ham string in my right leg was barking at me when I got up, probably from the combination Trail run and Spring yard cleanup yesterday. So rather than a risk an injury by running, I did some Trail Walking to check out the conditions on some other Bush trails. Wet Ground, Frozen North slopes and at the bottom of the hills the holes are full of water - ankle to knee deep. So still to early to get into the bush trails. 5 km of hiking - Cross Training right?? Not counting it as Running Km for my monthly Goal.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    @_nikkiwolf_ great job on the race, super time and love the shirt. As far as the GPS, it must be drunk :worried:
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    @_nikkiwolf_ nice job on the race! Love the shirt and medal. Sounds like a great day, other than that detour to the parking. Never trust a stranger who knows a shortcut :)

Date :::: Miles :::: April MTD (goal = 95)
    04/01/17 :::: 7.7 :::: 7.7
    04/02/17 :::: 3.5 :::: 11.2
    04/03/17 :::: 2.5 :::: 13.7
    04/04/17 :::: 0.0 :::: 13.7
    04/05/17 :::: 3.5 :::: 17.2
    04/06/17 :::: 0.0 :::: 17.2
    04/07/17 :::: 0.0 :::: 17.2
    04/08/17 :::: 0.0 :::: 17.2
    04/09/17 :::: 3.5 :::: 20.6
    04/10/17 :::: 3.0 :::: 23.6
    04/11/17 :::: 0.0 :::: 23.6
    04/12/17 :::: 3.2 :::: 26.8
    04/13/17 :::: 0.0 :::: 26.8
    04/14/17 :::: 4.0 :::: 30.8
    04/15/17 :::: 6.2 :::: 37.0
    04/16/17 :::: 2.7 :::: 39.7
    04/17/17 :::: 3.7 :::: 43.4
    04/18/17 :::: 0.0 :::: 43.4
    04/19/17 :::: 3.1 :::: 46.6
    04/20/17 :::: 2.2 :::: 48.8
    04/21/17 :::: 4.7 :::: 53.5
    04/22/17 :::: 7.8 :::: 61.3
    04/23/17 :::: 2.5 :::: 63.8

A gorgeous spring day here too. I did a 2 hour hike this morning and have been busy with yard work so didn't get a longer run in today. I had in mind to go this evening but a friend texted and wanted to run by my house and pick me up for a 30 minute run, so that's what we did. Got me up and off the couch from my nap and back out to yard work after.

So happy to have the patio furniture back out and am now sitting under my umbrella enjoying a cold beer!
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    Spent the morning tracking a colleague running the London Marathon. Amazed to see that some of the finishing runners in the 'masses' category finished with times pretty close to the elites. Times i can only look at with awe. And David Weir got his wheelchair win in, having had some bad times recently.

No run for me this weekend, I've been out partying too hard, and it's taken its toll on my head and my urge to run. A mistake i know, but as long as i get plenty of consistent runs in this week i should be back on track for my HM on 7th May.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I just found out that I need to stop attempting to use Garmin to keep track of my shoe mileage. I wrote down the mileage on my shoes as tracked by garmin and Strava, and Garmin had WAY less mileage on one pair of shoes, and a decent amount less on 2 other pairs. 2 pairs on Garmin had more mileage, but not enough for it to be an "oops, I put the wrong shoes in.: As a side note, when I added up the total mileage on all my shoes, neither one showed my shoes having as much mileage as I do, and I ain't no barefoot runner.

If strava has the right mileage, then the shoes I just retired had almost 500 miles on them, not 325.

This just goes to show, choose ONE program for tracking shoe mileage, and keep with it.... For me that will probably be Strava.....

.... and as an aside, I think I'm going to stop counting 1/100 of a mile on my distances, starting next month. I'm pretty sure I'm just splitting hairs with that, though Garmin has me running 1 more mile this year..... Strava is probably more accurate......but I like that extra mile...LOL
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    Today was a very nice day, sunny and 72F. Decided this would be a good day to start rehabbing the hip. Did quarter mile walk/easy jog intervals with very little discomfort. Total of 3.65 miles with 1.25 of that running. Didn't want to do much more than that for my first attempt.

Stretched and foam rolled after the workout, and now I just feel a small bit of stiffness, nothing major. I *will* refrain from any running tomorrow to give it time to recover. Basically I feel like I did a year ago with C25k. Doesn't feel like much of a workout, but it's better than sitting on the couch, right?

Hope everyone had a good weekend.
  • Run4life375
    Run4life375 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Today was the first day this year that I ran outside wearing shorts. It's really warming up out there!

exercise.png
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    Today was the first day this year that I ran outside wearing shorts. It's really warming up out there!

exercise.png

Jealous, it's snowing here. And sort of in the vein of this...

How do you all decide what you are going to race in for the summer season when it isn't actually in season? I realized today I should probably figure out what I am wearing for Banff soon so I can know all the trouble/holy-hell-bodyglide-stat! areas in advance and I have no idea -_-
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    I was back in shorts today after dealing with cold mist yesterday. Upper 60s and gorgeous sunny day. I walked .5 warm up then ran 6 miles with a lot of start/stop going on. I was running the highway route where i have to stop and check traffic before crossing business driveways. Plus I was just dying- so tired. Suddenly at that 6.5 miles point, it felt like all the padding/cushion in my shoes vanished and I had barefeet slamming the concrete sidewalk :( So i slowly walked home for a total of 7.25 miles. Never had that happen before but as slow as I run lately plus the extended warmup/cooldown I'm doing, yesterday and today may have just been too much time on my feet, even though I've run the miles before.
  • MNLittleFinn
    edited April 2017
    Options
    JessicaMcB wrote: »
    How do you all decide what you are going to race in for the summer season when it isn't actually in season? I realized today I should probably figure out what I am wearing for Banff soon so I can know all the trouble/holy-hell-bodyglide-stat! areas in advance and I have no idea -_-

I check out what the average weather is for race day and try to find clothing that's appropriate, then wear it on long runs to see if there's any nasty chafage, I won't wear anything I havent worn at least 2-3 times.

Edit: side note: I'm VERY tempted to try out my light weight racing flats on a long run, just to see if they are acceptable for longer than half marathon distance, because I've loved them out to like 9 miles and I "think" they could be good for longer, they are super comfortable, just really light and a lower drop than my normal long run shoes.
  • ctlaws44
    ctlaws44 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    @_nikkiwolf_ Congratulations and great running! I love that medal and shirt!!
    @MobyCarp You're running in the USATF Masters 10k Championship in a week!!? Man! That's quite a feat 2 weeks after Boston!! I hope your quad feels better.
    @MNLittleFinn You're going to end up signing up for the "Death Race" I just know it! LOL!
    @RespectTheKitty Glad you're back at it and mixing in some running.
    @katharmonic I'd go for it!! Though don't listen to me. I'm one of the dumbest runners on here (Forrest Gump dumb). Follow the advise of Moby, Sto, or WMR.

Here's an honest question for the group. Why do you switch and have so many different shoes? I understand between trail and road but I'm scared to get a different pair cause I like the way my current ones feel and I don't want to induce an injury with a different pair. I've read a couple people on here attribute injuries to shoes.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    1---4.48
    3---3.05
    5---2.85 walk
    9---3.30 walk
    11---4.77
    14---6.07
    16---4.36
    18---3.88
    19---2.8 Barefoot Walk
    20----4.83
    22---6.35 beast!
    23---2.50 walk

49.24/60

RACES!!!

May 27- XTERRA Rock Dallas Trail Run. 5k.
    July 8- XTERRA Jurassic Trail Run, 5K.  Glen Rose,TX
    Dec 2- POOP trail run, Hoping for a half! Norman OK.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @ctlaws44 difderent shoes for different running for me. Some i use for speed work, some for long runs, and all for easy runs. Also, having shoes with different drops uses muscles differently so you end up working your legs in different ways, which is a good thing.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    ctlaws44 wrote: »
    @_nikkiwolf_ Congratulations and great running! I love that medal and shirt!!
    @MobyCarp You're running in the USATF Masters 10k Championship in a week!!? Man! That's quite a feat 2 weeks after Boston!! I hope your quad feels better.
    @MNLittleFinn You're going to end up signing up for the "Death Race" I just know it! LOL!
    @RespectTheKitty Glad you're back at it and mixing in some running.
    @katharmonic I'd go for it!! Though don't listen to me. I'm one of the dumbest runners on here (Forrest Gump dumb). Follow the advise of Moby, Sto, or WMR.

Here's an honest question for the group. Why do you switch and have so many different shoes? I understand between trail and road but I'm scared to get a different pair cause I like the way my current ones feel and I don't want to induce an injury with a different pair. I've read a couple people on here attribute injuries to shoes.

The USATF Masters 10K Championship won't be an A race. I'll give it what I can, but not expect peak performance. Depending on how a couple of my team mates do, I may or may not be a scoring member for the GVH 60+ mens's team. The chance that I will be is what creates the peer pressure to do the race. My chance of an individual age group podium finish in this one would be nil even if I were in top racing form. The fast guys are going to show up.

Shoes: It's true that I have a lot of pairs of shoes. However, my go-to road shoes are Saucony Kinvaras. I keep 3 pair in rotation, and try not to let them have similar mileage. The idea is that when I get twinges somewhere in my running chain after running in the grey pair but not after running in the white pair or the blue pair, I know it's time to retire the grey pair. The last 2 pair I retired were the last of the Kinvara 5's. I'm now running in Kinvara 6's, and will be until at least 2 more pair are retired. After the next pair is retired, it will be time to go online and look for good deals in Kinvaras. That might be 6's or 7's at that point, and I'll buy the 3 cheapest colors available in my size. Different colors, so I can tell them apart in rotation.

Other than that, I have only one pair of Saucony Peregrines for running. I use them for snowy days, and could use them for trails if I were more into trail running. I retired the last pair of Peregines at 500 miles out of concer for the tread. They are still in service for snow shoveling and lawn mowing, and based on how they feel I might have retired them prematurely.

I also have one pair of cross country shoes, Saucony Kilkennys. I have no idea if the Kilkenny is the best model for me; it was the first one I found in my size when I really needed a pair of cross country shoes. The ability to change out spikes and use half inch spikes in Bend saved my butt from leaving prints in the course.

I am conservative. Because Kinvaras work for me, I don't look for other road shoes. I likely won't be actively looking for other road shoes until Saucony revises the Kinvara in such a way that it doesn't work for me any more. But for now, I find it hard to argue with training for and running Boston in Kinvaras and Peregrines, and retaining all my toenails. The shoe companies could make a case for their other models by providing demos for me to try at various group runs; but they very rarely bring demo shoes in my size.
  • ctlaws44
    Options
    Ah ha! That makes sense with the different angles of drop. Thank you @MNLittleFinn
  • ctlaws44
    edited April 2017
    Options
    @MobyCarp Thank you for replying. That's a great idea having a offset rotation of the same shoe in different colors. I might do that and buy some more of the Saucony Guide 10's but I think before I do I might try on the Kinvara's. I've seen and heard a lot of people like them. The Guide 10's feel good now but at first they felt bulky and like "training wheels" for running. Though I'm in the same boat as you. I'm 11.5 4E which on my 5' 9" 160lb frame look like clown feet. So I don't have a lot of options in foot wear.

I'm sure you'll do great in the 10k. you're a smart runner to manage your run with pain.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    @ctlaws44 - I might also add that I'm trying to be quick to interpret twinges as a reason to retire shoes. Retiring shoes earlier than I need to is cheaper than keeping them too long and paying for physical therapy.
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    ctlaws44 wrote: »
    @MobyCarp Thank you for replying. That's a great idea having a offset rotation of the same shoe in different colors. I might do that and buy some more of the Saucony Guide 10's but I think before I do I might try on the Kinvara's. I've seen and heard a lot of people like them. The Guide 10's feel good now but at first they felt bulky and like "training wheels" for running. Though I'm in the same boat as you. I'm 11.5 4E which on my 5' 9" 160lb frame look like clown feet. So I don't have a lot of options in foot wear.

I'm sure you'll do great in the 10k. you're a smart runner to manage your run with pain.

As someone who has owned both the Guide 10 and the Kinvara I personally find the Guide to be the superior shoe for my serious overpronation on roads (Nomad TR beats them both on trail for obvious reasons). The Kinvara is very neutral so if you are more than moderately overpronated prepare to potentially roll in hard- I do every.single.day. #thestruggle
  • snowyne
    snowyne Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    4/1 - 7.0 mi.
    4/2 - 4.0 mi
    4/3 - 3.6 mi.
    4/4 - rest
    4/5 - 6.0 mi.
    4/6 - 4.0 mi.
    4/7 - 5.0 mi.
    4/8 - 4.4 mi.
    4/9 - rest
    4/10 - 4.4 mi.
    4/11 - 4.0 mi.
    4/12 - 4.9 mi. (oh, honestly...why didn't I eke out another .1 for a nice even 5?? :p )
    4/13 - 3.1 mi.
    4/14 - 5.0 mi.
    4/15 - 3.9 mi.
    4/16 - rest - happy easter!
    4/17 - 4.0 mi.
    4/18 - 4.6 mi.
    4/19 - 4.1 mi.
    4/20 - 4.0 mi.
    4/21 - 5.5 mi.
    4/22 - 5.1 mi.
    4/23 - rest

April goal: 86.6/100 miles