April 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    So now in 2017, looking forward to fall, I am targeting the following 4 marathon distances over a 5 week period:
    10/21 - Kansas City Marathon
    10/28 - Prairie Spirit Trail 50k (rails to trails, not real trails)
    11/12 - Gobbler Grind Marathon
    11/19 - Pilgrim Pacer Marathon

Are you sure about that? The Prairie Spirit Trail 50K I see was last month. I think you mean the Kansas Fall Ultra Extravaganza. Make sure you register for the right race.

• BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    It's been super busy at work so I haven't been commenting much. I was at least reading until today, so now I'm really behind.

@Elise4270 OMG!! I found the perfect race that we have to do together. It's not until December, but it's called the POOP Race!!! Yes...POOP Race. It stands for Protect Our Oklahoma Parks. It's in Norman, OK at Lake Thunderbird State Park. Here's the website: https://pooptrailrun.org/

Get this...awards will be realistic scat models!! Female Masters will most likely be Cougar Scat!! Lol! I'm going to try my best to win that!! Lol!!

I hope you're in because this sounds so awesome!

Omg!!!!! That sounds great!!! Maybe I'll have some speed back and we both can go home with prized cat scats!!

I'm putting it on my calendar!!!

@Elise4270 Yay!! I'll add it to my calendar too!! There's 2.5, 5.5, and 13.1 mile options. Hoping hubby and the kiddo will come along to do the 2.5 mile option. I want to try the HM. My son doesn't think fake Scat awards sound totally awesome. Not sure who he takes after!! Lol

I saw the distance and registration opens in a week or so. I think I'll hope for the half, but may just do 5.5. my daughter would not like the fake scat either, but would love the POOP run. (Another IBS'r). She has "I'm only speeding because I have to poop" on her car. Yours is young enough to think it's hilarious though. And a boy. *Scratches head*

@Elise4270 Yeah...I don't get it why he doesn't want a fake poop trophy. My grandfather had fake poop that he'd set out and ask he we left it there. I always thought it was hilarious!! I told him to run slow and he won't have to worry about it!!

Your daughter's bumper sticker is awesome!! I need one of those, even though I'm just speeding because I'm always late. ;)
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    So now in 2017, looking forward to fall, I am targeting the following 4 marathon distances over a 5 week period:
    10/21 - Kansas City Marathon
    10/28 - Prairie Spirit Trail 50k (rails to trails, not real trails)
    11/12 - Gobbler Grind Marathon
    11/19 - Pilgrim Pacer Marathon

Are you sure about that? The Prairie Spirit Trail 50K I see was last month. I think you mean the Kansas Fall Ultra Extravaganza. Make sure you register for the right race.

Yeah, that's the one! Too funny!
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @WhatMeRunning Actually, I looked, and there aren't any long races after that October ultra I have, because I'm not yet crazy enough to run a 135 mile Ultra at the north end of MN in January.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    @WhatMeRunning Actually, I looked, and there aren't any long races after that October ultra I have, because I'm not yet crazy enough to run a 135 mile Ultra at the north end of MN in January.

You're not looking hard enough.

Icebox 480 in River Falls, WI. A timed race, you run as much as you can, on a 7 mile single track course, in 8 hours. Make your own distance!!

I'd do it but that's always the weekend we're pheasant hunting in South Dakota.

• MNLittleFinn
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »

You're not looking hard enough.

Icebox 480 in River Falls, WI. A timed race, you run as much as you can, on a 7 mile single track course, in 8 hours. Make your own distance!!

I'd do it but that's always the weekend we're pheasant hunting in South Dakota.

HHHMMM... 2 weeks after WD50. Ugh, I'd have to think about it
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Saw the doctor today. The diagnosis: IT band syndrome. I didn't know that could cause pain in the hip, but there it is. He said a change in shoes can bring it on, which is something I did recently. So I guess the v7's are a bust.

He told me to foam roll and also gave me a good stretch to do. I'm going to wait a few more days before I try running again. He suggested doing walk/jog for a while, which is fine with me.

So, yeah. IT band. Going to go back to my old shoes and stretch the kitten out of this thing.

ETA, it's a good thing I didn't sign up for the Champion of Trees 10k this weekend like I was originally planning.
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    exercise.png

4/02 - 5 miles
    4/03 - 10 miles
    4/04 - 6 miles
    4/05 - 10 miles
    4/06 - 6 miles
    4/07 - 18 miles

4/09 - 4 miles
    4/10 - 10 miles
    4/11 - 6 miles
    4/12 - 10 miles
    4/13 - 6 miles
    4/14 - 20 miles

4/16 - 6.5 miles
    4/17 - 7 miles
    4/18 - 6 miles
    4/19 - 3 miles
    4/20 - 7.75 miles
    4/21 - 9 miles

I've had a hard time with the running this week, for no particular reason that I can put my finger on. I will need to tweak some things next week if I expect to make my goal, here.

My *bad hip* is getting noticeably better. It might heal faster if I'd actually give it a real rest. I'm not patient enough for that, so I'll settle for "at least it's healing!"

I just got a Garmin Vivosmart HR+ and tested that on today's run. I will need to unlink some apps, to avoid double-dipping. Garmin gives me SIGNIFICANTLY fewer calories per mile than Fitbit. I might have been ok with that, but it doesn't seem to be doing an activity level adjustment, either. If that is to be the case, I may only wear the Garmin to run. The silent alarm feature on the Fitbit is also superior.

The Garmin was a ploy to learn how to run easy runs at an easier pace. I still can't figure out how not to race every training run. I suck. Perhaps it will come with practice. At least I went outside today. I do like how all my data is finally in one place, so that it's easier to see how pace and heartrate trends compare. And I discovered that the 3/4 mile loop around the GeoThermal lake at the hospital has an "easy" direction and a "hard" direction. Even though the elevation change can be mathmatically proven to be equal, it seems much steeper to run clockwise. Right hand turns were easier on the strained muscles in my leg, but my pace decreased by about 45 seconds per mile. Huh.

How much slower than target marathon race pace am I supposed to be running these long runs, anyway? Or should I figure out how to ignore the pace and let my heartrate dictate?

I also balked at the idea of putting sticky Gatorade into my hydration vest. And the pockets were full of phone and keys, so I didn't have a good solution for carrying additional bottles. So I didn't run fasted, but I ran without fuel. I've run Half Marathons fasted without issue, so that can't be the entire reason I quit after only 9 miles today, but I feel it may be a consideration.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn - You have plenty of time to get more fulls and ultras. There is no rush. Don't let my stupidity make you do something to equal or outdo my stupidity. :smiley: I'm honestly not at all worried about 4 marathons in 5 weeks considering I have done 3 of those before, under the same schedule, so I'm only adding one event into that schedule. I am WAY more prepared for those races now compared to when I first did this in 2015 (especially with 6 months of training ahead). If I were in your shoes and not honestly sure what to expect, I probably wouldn't add another event. So you are already taking a major bite out of things in my opinion. That doesn't mean you can't do it, you know your capabilities more than I do by leaps and bounds. I'm just saying that I am not sure I could have done my 2017 plans in 2015 and made it uninjured. In 2015 I was doing 50 mpw at my peak and it took a lot of work to get there. I'm at 40 now with 6 months to train ahead.

@RespectTheKitty - That actually sounds like good news that it is IT Band Syndrome because that can be handled relatively easily compared to other causes of hip pain. Hope the exercises and foam rolling get you back running soon!

@autumnblade75 - Technically, I just go by HR. I also use Jack Daniels tables to keep things honest, but I tweak those tables until the HR matches up with actual paces at that effort on my runs, then I can see what my paces can be for races.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    April Running Totals (miles)
    4/1 – 18.19 paced run
    4/2 – 3.90 easy 30 minutes
    4/3 – rest day
    4/4 – 10.75 tempo intervals
    4/5 – 6.85 group run
    4/6 – 8.18 tempo intervals
    4/7 – rest day
    4/8 – 12.07 paced run
    4/9 – 7.83 almost easy 60 minutes
    4/10 – 4.51 easy 30 minutes + 4 strides
    4/11 – 7.81 warm up, speed work, cool down
    4/12 – 3.81 easy 30 minutes
    4/13 – 5.45 easy/MP workout
    4/14 – travel day
    4/15 – 4.12 easy run along the Charles River
    4/16 – 2.61 20 minutes on last part of course
    4/17 – 26.43 Boston Marathon
    4/18 – travel day
    4/19 – rest day
    4/20 – 2.12 recovery run
    4/21 – 4.20 easy/MP

April total to date – 128.83

Nominal Challenge Goal – 150 miles
    Real Goals: Run Boston. Finish healthy. Recover well.

Today's notes – I am in recovery mode, and I see things differently than I did a year ago. My body is in better shape right now than it was after Boston 2016, but I'm much more concerned about recovery. Note to @MNLittleFinn: Perhaps you shouldn't stack up multiple marathons and ultras in your calendar until after you see first hand what recovery from a full marathon is like. It might be simpler for a young guy like you than for me, or it might not be as simple as you imagine.

This morning the quads did not speak up when I did my push-ups or weighted calf raises. That's an improvement. The test of Turkish get-ups and squats reveals that the quads aren't quite up to that yet; but kettlebell swings and snatches were not a problem. The morning routine is getting closer to what it was.

Went out at noon for an easy run, thinking 4 miles, maybe I'll stretch it to 5. Run the 4+ mile route with three small hills to test the quads without ever being very far from my front door. Finished it in decent shape. The quads are better than they were yesterday, but it didn't seem like a day to tack on an extra 0.8 mile to make 5. The run was supposed to be easy, but I found myself gravitating toward marathon pace whenever I didn't pay attention. That happened after Boston last year, too; so I didn't fret much about it.

After my stretches, I added back some cone touches because of a twinge I'd felt in my lower right calf. That twinge is gone, but the cone touches seem to be a way to work on the recovering left quad without being as abusive as TGUs or weighted squats. I think I'll be doing them regularly for a while.

There is a paced run tomorrow morning, with distances of 6 and 9 miles as the beginner half marathon group tapers toward Flower City. I am not scheduled to pace, because it's 5 days after Boston; but I think I'll go run 6 miles with the group. That will be a good way to keep those 6 miles slower than they would be if I ran alone.

Oh, and I'm confident enough that I'm injury free that I committed to car pool with my team mate Bill to Dedham, and I signed up for the Lilac 10K in May. Maybe this year I can stay healthy enough to win my age group in the Rochester Runner of the Year series.

2017 races:
    January 1, 2017 Freezeroo #2 (Resolution Run 7.5 mile) (Mendon, NY) Finished in 50:45
    January 7, 2017 Winter Warrior Half Marathon (Gates, NY) Finished in 1:32:40
    January 14, 2017 Freezeroo #3 (Pineway Ponds Park 5 mile) (Spencerport, NY) Finished in 33:42
    January 28, 2017 Freezeroo #4 (Hearnish 5 mile) (Victor, NY) short course, finished 4.88 miles in 32:50
    February 4, 2017 USATF Cross Country National Championship Masters 8K (Bend, OR) Finished in 35:39, team won the 60+ Men's cross country championship
    February 11, 2017 Freezeroo #5 (Valentines Run "In Memory of Tom Brannon" 8 Mile) (Greece, NY) sat out due to training schedule
    February 25, 2017 Freezeroo #6 (White House Challenge 4.4 mile) (Webster, NY) short course, finished 4.34 miles in 27:51
    March 11, 2017 Johnny's Runnin' of the Green 5 mile (Rochester, NY) finished in 33:25
    March 18, 2017 USATF Masters 8K Championship (Shamrock 8K, Virginia Beach, VA) finished in 30:59, PR for 8K
    April 17, 2017 Boston Marathon (Hopkinton, MA) finished in 3:49:42
    April 30, 2017 USATF Masters 10K Championship (James Joyce Ramble, Dedham, MA)
    May 21, 2017 Lilac Run 10K (Rochester, NY)

• katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    Date :::: Miles :::: April MTD (goal = 95)
    04/01/17 :::: 7.7 :::: 7.7
    04/02/17 :::: 3.5 :::: 11.2
    04/03/17 :::: 2.5 :::: 13.7
    04/04/17 :::: 0.0 :::: 13.7
    04/05/17 :::: 3.5 :::: 17.2
    04/06/17 :::: 0.0 :::: 17.2
    04/07/17 :::: 0.0 :::: 17.2
    04/08/17 :::: 0.0 :::: 17.2
    04/09/17 :::: 3.5 :::: 20.6
    04/10/17 :::: 3.0 :::: 23.6
    04/11/17 :::: 0.0 :::: 23.6
    04/12/17 :::: 3.2 :::: 26.8
    04/13/17 :::: 0.0 :::: 26.8
    04/14/17 :::: 4.0 :::: 30.8
    04/15/17 :::: 6.2 :::: 37.0
    04/16/17 :::: 2.7 :::: 39.7
    04/17/17 :::: 3.7 :::: 43.4
    04/18/17 :::: 0.0 :::: 43.4
    04/19/17 :::: 3.1 :::: 46.6
    04/20/17 :::: 2.2 :::: 48.8
    04/21/17 :::: 4.7 :::: 53.5

Friday afternoon run. It felt good to get both a run and a long dog walk in today without being rained on.
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    @lporter229 Just read your race report!! Thank you for sharing!! You look amazing with that "I just ran the freakin Boston Marathon and BQ'd!!" With a glass of champagne!! Love it, and I'm so happy you had a great race. Hope you recover soon, but enjoy the downtime. You worked hard for this and deserve a break. ;)
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Ran a fun local 10K this morning. I was trying to finish it in 60 minutes but actually finished in 62 1/2 minutes - so close! Oh well.

64/100 miles done in April

Another 4 miles on Sunday in the beautiful weather. It was a tad humid but 68 and breezy -perfect.

Today a friend convinced me to try a kettle bell class before work. I am leaving for an out of town work conference on Wednesday so I know my running opportunities are going to be few and far between this week. I decided to squeeze in another 3 miles on the treadmill before the class.

Before today, I had never tried kettle bells. How hard could it be, right? Ha!! My butt has been thouroghly kicked! My whole body is still shaky 30 minutes later. I am going to be sore tomorrow....

71/100 miles done in April

This is the longest discussion thread ever! I can't keep up! Lol

I left for an out of town work conference on Wednesday- squeezed in 10 miles before I had to leave for the airport. I knew I wouldn't get much running in this week.... :( My diet has been crap with all the free food and alcohol. I just can't say no to free!

3 miles on the hotel treadmill on Thursday and another 3.5 boring treadmill miles this morning.

87.5/100 miles done in April
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Received the new shoes that are similar to the pair I retired recently... these should work better than the pair I used for a few weeks before getting runner's knee. Went out and did 4.05 miles in the new pair. I know I'm not going to get to goal this month, but I'm going to make a recovery.

exercise.png
  • hanlonsk
    hanlonsk Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Well... today was fun. Did a site visit in the rain and puddles and mud. Then did a lot of other driving in the rain. And apparently still didn't get it all out of my system. I planned today as a rest day before attempting a distance pr tomorrow.... and I'm usually very much a fair weather runner.... but I still had a play in the puddle childish urge.... I kept it under 2 miles, but did a little run in the rain. I don't think I am smart enough to post pictures on here, or I would, rain you and Hot Springs State Park made for a pretty combo. But I also learned that I have gotten far too used to passively ignoring construction cones on my runs... and found my path disappeared into the high running river in a big hurry.

73.3/100

• MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @MobyCarp I don't thinking will be simple at all. I know that, the day After each race I'll probably hate myself, but after 6 neurosurgeries a lot of sick time as a kid I tend to go full throttle.

I'd rather crash and burn than wonder whether or not I could have done the crazy things i thought of. This is one of those things for me, I have to just dive in and see where I come up...... ugh.... personality defects....
  • KeepRunningFatboy
    KeepRunningFatboy Posts: 3,055 Member
    Options
    [WK: 4.17.17 - 4.23.17

M - Rest / Recover Day
    T - 10.8 m. 9:35 pace.
    W - 9.8 m. 9:40 pace.
    T - yucky weather
    F - 9.9 m. EZ
    S -
    S -
    Total - miles for the week.