April 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    @garygse I haven't heard of it, but this is the 1st time my allergies have bothered me in about 2 years. Since it's not a common occurrence, I don't worry about it too much. Took Benadryl to sleep last night and took Claritin today. I feel much better. I guess I was just outside a bunch running and cycling in the wind and the pollen finally got to me.

@kimlight2 Good luck in your 5K!! Everyone has great recommendations. Definitely don't tape your shoes. Your feet are going to get wet so just go with it. ;) I would also wear a baseball hat to help keep rain out of your face...preferably of dry fit material. Also have a big fluffy towel to help dry off. Typically races are postponed or cancelled if there is lightning. I had one postponed last year due to lightning and another cancelled this year due to lightning...right as I was about to get in the car...after 2 cups of coffee and breakfast!! I saw you have a long drive so watch for communications from the race.
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    exercise.png

4/02 - 5 miles
    4/03 - 10 miles
    4/04 - 6 miles
    4/05 - 10 miles
    4/06 - 6 miles
    4/07 - 18 miles

4/09 - 4 miles
    4/10 - 10 miles
    4/11 - 6 miles
    4/12 - 10 miles
    4/13 - 6 miles
    4/14 - 20 miles

4/16 - 6.5 miles
    4/17 - 7 miles
    4/18 - 6 miles
    4/19 - 3 miles
    4/20 - 7.75 miles
    4/21 - 9 miles

4/23 - 6.4 miles
    4/24 - 11.25 miles
    4/25 - 6.4 miles
    4/26 - 7.1 miles
    4/27 - 6.5 miles
    4/28 - 14.5 miles

Yesterday was cool (48F) and drizzly, and my coworker was out sick, so I tried out the trail near work. I did forget my headphones and phone holder, and only had a single Gatorade in the car for hydration, but it was a scheduled 6.5 mile day, and I don't really need water for that. It was a fantastic run. I am considering moving to Seattle.

Today was similarly cool, but partially sunny, and I didn't forget my hydration vest or headphones, but my coworker was in. He was gracious enough to prevail upon his other carpool buddy for a ride home, so that I could attempt 22 miles on the trail. I made 14.5 miles, trying to keep the heartrate in zone 1. I got as far as 3/4 of a mile, like, once, before the alarm told me to take a walk break. I quickly became frustrated with the damned alarm buzzing my wrist and demanding walk breaks. At some point, I noticed that my calf hurts. Probably from all the stop and go. This has only reinforced my opinion that it's harder to run when you have to keep starting running again. I very much prefer to just Keep Running In The First Place. If that means I train at too high of a heart rate, then so be it. I have turned the alarm off, but adjusted the first screen to include a heart rate, so I can check on it when things start to feel difficult. But I will only make my goal for the month if I feel like running 18 miles on Monday. I have 6 scheduled. It is unlikely, but could happen. We'll see.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    @kimlight2 all the recommendations are good - you're gonna get wet, it's fine. Allowing your shoes to drain is better than sloshing in wet ones - they'll get wet no matter what. I'm allergic to wool so wool socks wouldn't work for me (or maybe they would - it would make me run faster to get the damn things off and stop the itching!!!)

Last week I ended up running through a thunderstorm along by some railway tracks , foolishly I DIDN'T change my wet top before driving home, and consequently spent the hour journey with the heating on high trying to get warm. I had to have a hot shower when I got in to warm up. Learn from my mistake (it would probably have been better for me to have driven home in my sports bra than a wet top - and more exciting for other road users...)
  • garygse
    garygse Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    But I will only make my goal for the month if I feel like running 18 miles on Monday. I have 6 scheduled. It is unlikely, but could happen. We'll see.
    Monday's the 1st.
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    garygse wrote: »
    But I will only make my goal for the month if I feel like running 18 miles on Monday. I have 6 scheduled. It is unlikely, but could happen. We'll see.
    Monday's the 1st.

You're right. Looking at my calendar, I can see that I was looking at Sunday. I haven't even bothered to think about May, yet. In that case, I will downgrade the concept of 18 more miles from "possible" to "definitely not."
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    ifal34ckza0h.png

@garygse ran for donuts today - I ran for cake. Well, I ran after eating the cake so did a little extra. I've been making this route a little Friday afternoon ritual because it is right by my favorite Wegman's grocery store and then I can get food for dinner after.

Tomorrow calls for a nice morning so should be a good day to increase the long run slightly. I'm still about 16 miles from my stated goal for April, but I hope to be closer to just 5 under, which will be a good comeback for April running (last April was my worst month out of the last 18 months I've been tracking - I thought this April was going down a similar path!).

Good luck with races this weekend! And happy running to everyone else, or good resting to those who need it.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    No running today. After running 8 days in a row, it was time for a rest day. Travel day tomorrow, race on Sunday. The current plan is to leave the laptop at home, so I will likely be out of touch with the group until late Sunday, and might not find time to be on until Monday morning. But if there is no outbound travel disaster I'll get a short run in tomorrow afternoon, and I *will* run a 10K on Sunday.
  • garygse
    garygse Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    @katharmonic Running for cake is one of those little pleasures; speaking of which, my son turned 12 a couple of days ago and there's still cake downstairs...must...resist.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Wow @garygse, that is amazing!! I pretty much assumed you were a long time runner. A huge turnaround!
  • HRKinchen
    HRKinchen Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    The heat and humidity here in Louisiana are kicking my tail! 80+ degrees with 75% humidity? Madness! But I'm working on channeling my younger self from back in the days of marching band, when after hours of sun-scorched drills, the director would shout "Last run-through!" and we all laughed because we knew it was a LIE! :lol: Anyway. Chalking up another 2.6 today. Two more days, 9 more miles. Not likely, but I'll never say never!

4/1: 1.3 (1.3)
    4/2: 1.5 (2.8)
    4/4: 1.5 (4.3)
    4/5: 3.4 (7.7)
    4/6: 1.3 (9.0)
    4/9: Race Day - 3.3 (12.3)
    4/10: 1.5 (13.8)
    4/12: 0.5 (14.3)
    4:15: 1.5 (15.8)
    4/26: 2.5 (18.3)
    4/28: 2.6 (20.9)

Goal for the month: 30

• ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    Wow @garygse, that is amazing!! I pretty much assumed you were a long time runner. A huge turnaround!

Wow! I assumed the same!

@BeeerRunner - I know you said you haven't had any allergy problems in a couple years but what has totally solved my allergy problems is local honey. I'm a little obsessed with it and have to be sure I'm getting from a person who doesn't use sugar water. I've been using it for almost four years and I've had no problems at all since starting to take 1tsp-1 TSP a day. For many years every February-April I would be miserable in central Florida. I grew up in D.C. Area and up there I had trouble in the summer. So when I go to visit my mom in the summer Who still lives there, I always make sure to get local honey up there right away!
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    @kimlight2 on 5k I wouldn't sweat it- I enjoy running in a decent rain provided lightning isn't on the scene actually!

@MNLittleFinn why avoid the snow? Running snow and ice on trail is the best! I side with your run brain ;)

You are awesome @garygse !

@ddmom0811 sorry I over abbreviate often, I just want to get that training run in before I enjoy the Banff Marathon. If you liked visiting Banff you'd love the marathon, ijs ;)

My husband is home for the weekend so I snuck in 14km in 1:07:54 before small people needed to go to bed. Was honestly just so happy to be outside without the baby strapped to me haha!

April 1- 42.2
    April 2- 7.6
    April 3- 14
    April 4- 13.4
    April 5- Off
    April 6- 10
    April 7- 15.8
    April 8- Off
    April 9- 9.5
    April 10- 15.5
    April 11- 11.1
    April 12- 7.3
    April 13- Off
    April 14- 15.7
    April 15- 19.1
    April 16- 7.4
    April 17- 15.2
    April 18- 19.1
    April 19- Off
    April 20- 15 (TM)
    April 21- 15 (TM)
    April 22- 10 Earth Day 5K Virtual- 27:15
    April 23- 8.6 (TM)
    April 26- 17.1 (TM)
    April 27- 5 (TM)
    April 28- 14

307.6 km/300 km

• snowyne
    snowyne Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    @garygse - Wow!! What an amazing contrast! Thank you for sharing. Makes me wanna go get a Garmin (I'm a fairly new runner and have just been using an app to track my runs).
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options

So I am back from my trip to Nashville, which is a great city. Enjoyed the concert until 2 young people decided to chat during the concert. They were talking, taking selfies and totally ignored me turning my head to glare at them. Why spend that money to talk through the concert. My husband sat next to a lady who was belting down the beers only to pass out during the Tom Petty portion of the concert.

The next day we went to the Hermitage, Andrew Jackson's home. It was pretty fascinating to see the house and exhibits. My husband and I were walking toward the gardens when a large bumblebee landed on my hand. I was afraid it would get hurt and I didn't want it to hurt me. I shooed it away. Fortunately I am not afraid of bees. I was surprised by how heavy it was. It landed with a little force.

Today I decided that I would be able to get a short run and long run before my taper week. It was supposed to rain all day. Usually I skip my run or go to the gym. I opted instead to run outdoors. It drizzled the whole run. My plan was to run 8 miles but stopped after 6 when I saw la bolt of lightening. I was able to run the first mile in 9:51 minutes. My first mile under 10 minutes. The best I was able to run in the past was 10:02. 6 miles in 68 minutes. I lost 17 seconds tying shoes. Tomorrow planning long run of 14 miles.

4/28....6 miles
    4/19...12 miles
    4/18...4 miles
    4/17...8 miles
    4/14....8 miles89th
    4/12....4.36 miles
    4/9....10 miles
    4/8....8 miles
    4/2....9 miles

Total ....69.36 miles
    goal...50 miles

Indianapolis Mini Marathon (Half Marathon)....May 6
    Geist Reservoir Half...May 20
    Indy Women's Half Marathon....September 30 (tentative)

• juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Double post - woops me bad.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I thought I had posted this but it appears that I may have closed the wrong screen, or it is being held by the approval police due to a number matching up to one of the Spam Bots.
    So if this comes up as a double post - woops me bad.

7.5 Km from Riverbank Trail near home up to the top of Judah Hill - 234m = 767.7 ft climb. Turn and headed back. At 9.4 km on the way down the Hill my right IT band started talking to me in a most unplesant way. Had to drop into a walk. Tried a few runs after stretching and walking, NO GO. So it was a long slow 5.6 km walk home.
    Maybe its just the Hypochondriac runner in me that caused me to pull up or maybe it's real. Tomorrow morning will be the test of my Traumatophobia.
    I remember when walking used to be really enjoyable, now it seems so sloooow.

On the steepest pitch I dropped to 9:46/km. When walking Home managed 11:58 to 10:17/km. So I was just about at a Walking Pace on the steepest pitch.
    8pkvwwxyt50e.jpg

That one big Spike in my pace at about 4.4 km on the up-hill portion can be attributed to a car that went by and they all started cheering and yelling encouragement to me. Turns out there were a couple runners from the High School track team in the car - got a FB msg of triple thumbs up. Strange the mental and physical effect it has. I don't remember crashing physically or mentally after that even though my pace graph looks like I did.

exercise.png

04/01 0.0 km – 140. km – 0.0 km – YTD 300.05
    04/02 6.5 km – 135.5km - 6.5km
    04/05 5.2 km – 130.3km - 11.7km
    04/08 21.3 km – 109.0km - 33.0km
    04/12 5.0 km – 104.0km - 38.0km
    04/15 12.1 km – 89.9km - 50.1km
    04/16 5.0 km – 84.9km - 55.1km
    04/17 5.3 km – 79.6km - 60.4km
    04/19 14.0 km – 65.6km - 74.4km
    04/22 8.15 km – 57.45km - 82.55km
    04/24 7.99 km – 49.45km - 90.55km
    04/26 8.5 km – 40.95km - 99.05km
    04/28 15 km – 25.95km - 114.05km – YTD 414.05 Judah Hill Climb
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    If anyone wants to track me on Saturday.... I am bib# 1888.

https://derbyfestivalmarathon.com/runner-tracking/

Good luck to you today. I hope that the weather holds. If Louisville weather matches Indy's weather (only 100 miles away), we are getting rain (light drizzle) with occasional thunderstorms, but the weather is cool....60 degrees.