April 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    @Stoshew71 - have a great marathon! I want to track you but I'm taking students to a programming competition at a defense contractor and we aren't allowed to bring our phones or any devices in. So I have to check as soon as I get out! I cracked up at your Amazon ads. Since I teach programming, and project my laptop almost every day to my students, I hate to search for anything with them watching for fear of what ads will appear. Not that I'm buying anything inappropriate... but just in case.

@iofred - a bad run before a race is a good sign. I don't have any scientific facts to back this up. Just saying...

@JessicaMcB - What's pre-Banff? I went to Banff last July and it was beautiful. But my goodness it was hilly for this Florida girl!

Only 3 days left this month. What the heck? How is my mileage so low? Oh well... I am improving in my speed so it will be okay. I can't run tomorrow but I can run Saturday before programming competition. Then Sunday will be biking... oh well, it's all good. I do need to get back to my gym for lifting though!

4/1 - 44 miles biking
    4/2 - 40 miles biking
    4/3 - 3.7 miles
    4/4 - 4.2 miles
    4/5 - strength training
    4/6 - 3.4 miles
    4/7 - strength training
    4/8 - 10K Zombies Chunnel run
    4/9 - 28 miles on bike - but like a rest day
    4/10 - 4.5 miles
    4/11 - 4.6 miles
    4/12 - travel day
    4/13 - London - walking
    4/14 - London - walking
    4/15 - 5.2 miles London
    4/16 -- 5 miles London
    4/17 - London walking
    4/18 - 5 miles London
    4/19 - walking Paris and bike tour
    4/20 - 5.2 miles Paris
    4/21 - walking Paris
    4/22 - 5.3 miles Paris
    4/23 - travel day
    4/24 - rest day
    4/25 - 5.0 miles
    4/26 - 4.1 miles
    4/27 - 4 miles

exercise.png
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    I hate having the urge to buy shoes, but not seeing exactly what I want at a decent price....

EDIT: These are Tempting me a lot: http://www.runningwarehouse.com/adidas_adizero_adios_Boost_3_Mens_Shoes_Red_White/descpage-AADB3M2.html

and they have them in a 6.5. My Brooks are all size 7, but that's becuse I can't get them in a 6.5 (7 works fine) but my Nikes are 6.5...... To buy or not to buy, and which size to go for?

To buy!!!
    I have the urge too. I tried to pack light for my Europe trip so I only brought one pair of running shoes. And I did something I NEVER do. I wore my running shoes to travel home. My feet were just so sore from all the walking that I decided I would wear them on the way home. Then when the flight was cancelled it ended up being two days of wearing them. So now my crazy head is thinking they are ruined, lol. I know they aren't, but it's a good excuse.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    ddmom0811 wrote: »
    I hate having the urge to buy shoes, but not seeing exactly what I want at a decent price....

EDIT: These are Tempting me a lot: http://www.runningwarehouse.com/adidas_adizero_adios_Boost_3_Mens_Shoes_Red_White/descpage-AADB3M2.html

and they have them in a 6.5. My Brooks are all size 7, but that's becuse I can't get them in a 6.5 (7 works fine) but my Nikes are 6.5...... To buy or not to buy, and which size to go for?

To buy!!!
    I have the urge too. I tried to pack light for my Europe trip so I only brought one pair of running shoes. And I did something I NEVER do. I wore my running shoes to travel home. My feet were just so sore from all the walking that I decided I would wear them on the way home. Then when the flight was cancelled it ended up being two days of wearing them. So now my crazy head is thinking they are ruined, lol. I know they aren't, but it's a good excuse.

Well, there's one vote for to buy. I'm waiting for my wife's opinion on it....I don't have any shoes that color, so she'd know they were new...... oh, and, yeah, this month is flying by, only 3 more run days to go!
  • garygse
    garygse Posts: 896 Member
    Options

To buy!!!

Well, there's one vote for to buy. I'm waiting for my wife's opinion on it....I don't have any shoes that color, so she'd know they were new...... oh, and, yeah, this month is flying by, only 3 more run days to go!
    Just get 'em; health comes first, and good shoes are essential for that in this sport!

• MNLittleFinn
    edited April 2017
    Options
    garygse wrote: »
    Just get 'em; health comes first, and good shoes are essential for that in this sport

Probably going to.....left the running/gunstuff CC at home though, so I'll have to wait until after work to order.

I'm really interested in trying those shoes out, they look like they could be top contenders for my marathon.
  • garygse
    Options
    I didn't want to get up this morning; my throat felt a little sore, and my resting HR was 10 above what it normally is, which is usually an indicator for me coming down with something. But I eventually dragged my butt out of bed 20 minutes later, and put in a few miles in the cool morning air (upper 40s) before joining up with the group. The 'group' consisted of just the two faster runners again, as everyone else was out for various reasons. But now that my run is done and I'm sitting in the office, I have to say that I feel a lot better than I did.

03 - 13.37
    04 - 9.59
    05 - 13.39
    06 - 10.75
    07 - 13.36
    10 - 10.73
    11 - 9.27
    12 - 8.16
    13 - 8.89
    14 - 2.33
    15 - 13.14
    18 - 11.37
    19 - 13.51
    20 - 8.89
    21 - 5.46
    24 - 12.95
    25 - 10.46
    26 - 13.52
    27 - 8.93

Total: 198.07 / 175 miles
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @garygse glad you got out there and ran. I feel better after my runs too. Glad it worked out that for you.
  • garygse
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn Thanks! Yeah, I know when I'm truly sick the best thing to do is rest, but sometimes if I'm just feeling a little run down, an easy-paced run can work wonders.
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    4/1 - 7.7 miles in sunny San Diego
    4/2 - Travel day
    4/3 - Rest day
    4/4 - 5 comfortable miles.
    4/5 - 4.4 miles.
    4/6 - 5.05 miles.
    4/7 - Unplanned rest day.
    4/8 - 6.31 super hilly miles.
    4/9 - Too many hills :-(
    4/10 - 5 miles.
    4/11 - 4.93 miles of track/speed work. Then upper body weights.
    4/12 - 4.5 miles.
    4/13 - 4.9 miles. Some hip soreness that I am going to have to keep an eye on.
    4/14 - Unplanned rest day / life day / holiday prep.
    4/15 - 9 mile group run. Hip not perfect, but improved.
    4/16 - 5 miles. Ugh...too much buffet.
    4/17 - Planned rest day.
    4/18 - 4 miles of track/speed work. Then upper body weights.
    4/19 - 5 miles.
    4/20 - 5.1 treadmill miles. Trek class. Humid at the Y today!!
    4/21 - 4.20 miles in honor of yesterday's "holiday"
    4/22 - 10.2 mile group run.
    4/23 - Rest day.
    4/24 - 5 miles.
    4/25 - 4.5 miles. Cut it short due to "intestinal distress" :blush:
    4/26 - Unplanned rest day due to a fussy greyhound that woke me up 5 times in the night.
    4/27 - 5 cold, windy miles that felt great!

exercise.png
  • KeepRunningFatboy
    KeepRunningFatboy Posts: 3,055 Member
    Options
    WK: 4.24.17 - 4.30.17 - Taper week for 3 marathons in 4 weeks.

M - 3.5 m. EZ
    T - 8.2 m.
    W -
    T - 8 m.
    F -
    S - Revel Mt. Charleston Marathon
    S -
    Total - miles for the week
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options

To buy!!!

When you're all grown up as a runner, you'll know that the important decision isn't when to buy shoes. The important decision is when to retire them. You always want to have a pair in a box so if you need to retire a pair your rotation isn't short while you look for the next pair.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    @garygse - I had a couple days this week where my resting HR was a little high, I felt pretty down, and I considered rest days each time, but a recovery paced run did the trick each time for me. Weird how that works.

@BeeerRunner - Maybe an incentive program may get your son more interested in running?
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    When you're all grown up as a runner, you'll know that the important decision isn't when to buy shoes. The important decision is when to retire them. You always want to have a pair in a box so if you need to retire a pair your rotation isn't short while you look for the next pair.

Yeah, for my Glycerin 13, I have a back up pair waiting. I never thought of having a replacement ready for this first pair....... The things I've been learning.... shoe rotation/retirement/replacement.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Wrapped up week 5 of 6 in this base building cycle with a 4 mile run, and a second consecutive week of 40 hilly miles. So a rest day tomorrow. :smile:

I was feeling the stress earlier this week but am feeling a lot better today, and with tomorrow's rest day I think I may be ready to crush next week to cap off the whole cycle. I'm really happy to be feeling this good right now because these past few weeks have been a real test. I think I pushed just as hard as I safely could and did not overdo it.

The big question now is whether to immediately increase my mileage as planned on my next cycle or start back out ar my current mileage. I will wait until the end of next week to determine that.

4/1 - 10 miles
    4/2 - 4 miles
    4/3 - 4 miles
    4/4 - 4 miles
    4/5 - 4 miles
    4/6 - 4 miles
    4/7 - rest
    4/8 - 10 miles
    4/9 - 4 miles
    4/10 - 4 miles
    4/11 - 4 miles
    4/12 - 4 miles
    4/13 - 4 miles
    4/14 - rest
    4/15 - 12 miles of death by hills
    4/16 - 4 miles
    4/17 - 8 miles
    4/18 - 4 miles
    4/19 - 8 miles
    4/20 - 4 miles
    4/21 - rest = insanity
    4/22 - 13 miles (technically 13.1)
    4/23 - 4 miles
    4/24 - 8 miles
    4/25 - 4 miles
    4/26 - 8 miles
    4/27 - 4 miles

141 of 120 miles complete

exercise.png

Upcoming Events:
    5/20 - Running with the Cows Half Marathon
    6/3 - Hospital Hill Half Marathon
    10/21 - Kansas City Marathon
    10/28 - Some 50k, can't remember the name, ask 7lenny7
    11/12 - Gobbler Grind Marathon
    11/19 - Pilgrim Pacer Marathon
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    question for @mobycarp @lporter229 and other marathoners.

My colleague ran London last Monday, and mentioned that in a big marathon like that, unless you run the line exactly, your marathon measurement is out. So his ACTUAL distance for London was 26.8miles - meaning his time is greater than he'd like. What does your own record show?

@MobyCarp and @Stoshew71 have described the fudge factor used by GPS devices.
    Here is a jpeg of a speed session I did at a local 400m Track.

In the one corner you can see how the bread crumbs lined up perfectly so it looks like I cut across the corner when I was on the track. So some times a GPS device will lose a little distance but it tends to average out with the opposite occurring where it registers more than the official distance. Again unless your Tangents are perfect and the bread crumbs used by your device are perfectly aligned to the course they will always show a little long or a little short. One of those don't sweat it things.
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    @BeeerRunner - Maybe an incentive program may get your son more interested in running?

@WhatMeRunning That's what I'm thinking, but I don't want it to be a chore for him. He has 2 team practices, 1 skills practice and currently has futsal and outdoor games. So, he's a pretty busy kid. He should have a break after the next outdoor season. I've been thinking about getting him a cheap used Garmin so he can see his pace. Also thought about getting him some headphones and an MP3 player so he can listen to music. (Do they still sell those? ;) Lol )

I'd love to hear any ideas if you have them! :smiley:
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @stoshew71 post the picture of your carb loaded shopping cart. ha ha
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    8.5 km. In Edmonton and hooked up with the HM training group running out of a Local Running Room last night.
    A different style of "Speed Session", at least one that I have never done before.
    2 km easy-warmup. 12 minutes all out at max sustainable pace.
    90 Second walk, turn. 90 Second walk so you are approximately back where you started walking.
    12 minute all out run. Garmin says I managed to keep my avg pace in the 5:15 to 5:27 range. So a satisfying first experience on this type of speed work.

04/01 0.0 km – 140. km – 0.0 km – YTD 300.05
    04/02 6.5 km – 135.5km - 6.5km
    04/05 5.2 km – 130.3km - 11.7km
    04/08 21.3 km – 109.0km - 33.0km
    04/12 5.0 km – 104.0km - 38.0km
    04/15 12.1 km – 89.9km - 50.1km
    04/16 5.0 km – 84.9km - 55.1km
    04/17 5.3 km – 79.6km - 60.4km
    04/19 14.0 km – 65.6km - 74.4km
    04/19 8.15 km – 57.45km - 82.55km
    04/24 7.99 km – 49.45km - 90.55km
    04/26 8.5 km – 40.95km - 99.05km – YTD 399.05

exercise.png
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn My hubby is colorblind so I find myself trying to figure out if I can pass off one color shoes as another color without him noticing ;) You run a lot and it's not just a passing hobby so I'm sure your wife would understand the need for new shoes. New shoes are cheaper than Dr or PT visits I'm sure!

I felt awful last night and took Mucinex nighttime so I'm slightly "hungover" today and still sick. I'm really hoping though to run 2 miles after work just to fill in the gap of no running. Lots more rain coming this weekend so unfortunately I'm missing a lot due to sickness, sciatica, and rain. I missed other workouts too like my weekly HIIT workout and strength training.

Also, it was 38F here this morning! Geez. Back and forth.....