4/18 7.5
    4/19 4.5 + 6x strength circuits

122/200

• karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    @elise4270 I saw that too about the caveman - too funny

I can't believe he ran barefooted for 26+ miles!

I can't believe he's 50! Maybe I should adopt that lifestyle.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    @hesfeld no doubt about it...geese are nasty, vile, dirty creatures. Where I grew up in Rochester, MN we had a power plant keep the local lake ice free all winter and lazy Canadian geese would stay there rather than continue to fly south. The entire park around that lake was coated in goose *kitten*. Geese are the *kitten* of the bird world.

@girlinahat my grandpa was very wary of pigs. Apparently a farmer nearby fell while in his pig pen and the pigs did quite a number on him. My grandpa always carried a shovel with him when he went into the pigpen from then on. Now cows...they're funny animals. Curious and skittish at the same time. Sometimes it seem they don't know whether to come up to you or run away and end up trying to do both. I did come across some wild cows though, while hiking in northern California 20 some years ago. it was free range country and these cows were WAY up in elevation and looked mean. We gave them wide berth. I love the flowers!

@orphia & @KatieJane83 yowza!! Nice!

• greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    @_nikkiwolf_ The geese on my street are fairly friendly. I got hissed at once the other day but that's just because they have their babies right now to protect. They are very used to people and generally just back away. However, I'm glad we live on the other end of the street because I wouldn't want them in my front yard.

@katiejane83 and @girlinahat Pretty pics!

Okay, I really need to get back into morning running. It's already getting hot here and it's 60F+humidity early morning and it's pushing 80F later in the day and I'm already fighting bugs. I've been working really hard on getting my sleep which is going well. So now I need to get myself up and going in the morning. I'm already awake during the time I should be getting up to run. I just don't want to get out of bed. Tomorrow I'm going to try!!!
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    On the topic of geese...I'm not a fan. Our area gets swarmed every year with Canadian geese. Then they never go away because they find food easily. When they are swarming around here all of the sidewalks near any sort of water feature, even just a fountain (which our area has a lot of) is goose *kitten* central. Then of course there is springtime where in some landscaping near every walkway some maniac goose protecting their nest just has to chase away all of the evil humans trying to destroy their nest. Then there are the traffic jams when some of them decide to walk in the street and just stand there. You can honk at them all day, they aren't moving. You have to get out and pick a fight with one to get it to move. Stupidest creatures on the planet perhaps.

One year a park ranger stopped my wife from feeding geese and ducks at a local park. The ranger told her they stop migrating and become domesticated depending on humans for food. When the eagles migrate back to the area these fat, lazy, domesticated and well-fed birds become eagle food.

We need more eagles.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Did my second mid-week long(ish) run today. This is following the 1-2-3 method that @girlinahat described earlier. Basically I do 3x4 miles, 2x8 miles and 1x12 miles. I have one more 4 miler tomorrow to finish this first week of this. One thing I like about this method is that your short runs are 1/10th of your weekly mileage. So with my 4 mile short runs that means I am doing 40 mpw. It all just sort of adds up nicely. I like that. :smile: There are many other ways the math on this (distance, time, or even effort) just comes together nicely.

4/1 - 10 miles
    4/2 - 4 miles
    4/3 - 4 miles
    4/4 - 4 miles
    4/5 - 4 miles
    4/6 - 4 miles
    4/7 - rest
    4/8 - 10 miles
    4/9 - 4 miles
    4/10 - 4 miles
    4/11 - 4 miles
    4/12 - 4 miles
    4/13 - 4 miles
    4/14 - rest
    4/15 - 12 miles of death by hills
    4/16 - 4 miles
    4/17 - 8 miles
    4/18 - 4 miles
    4/19 - 8 miles

96 of 120 miles complete

exercise.png

Upcoming Events:
    4/22 - Garmin Half Marathon
    5/20 - Running with the Cows Half Marathon
    6/3 - Hospital Hill Half Marathon
  • hesfeld
    hesfeld Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 and @WhatMeRunning I'm glad I got the goose topic started. Seems to be a common problem encountering them and other animals, besides the obvious stray dogs. My only problem aside from my scarred memory is the goose droppings stuck in the tread of my running shoes :/
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Great pictures everyone. @girlinahat I love the blue bells, they are very big in Texas and everyone posts pictures of themselves with them. This is my favorite blue bell :wink:

jw73dcsvzk8l.jpg

Mmm! I asked DH to go get some if their homemade vanilla the other night. He came back with snickers ice cream bars- none at our little store... Theirs is the only vanilla I like!
  • Elise4270
    edited April 2017
    Options
    karllundy wrote: »
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    @elise4270 I saw that too about the caveman - too funny

I can't believe he ran barefooted for 26+ miles!

I can't believe he's 50! Maybe I should adopt that lifestyle.

No doubt! You see the pic of Amby Burfoot? He's 70.

ETA http://www.runnersworld.com/boston-marathon/how-notables-fared-at-the-2017-boston-marathon
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @elise4270 I said I'd never pay that much for ice cream but I do. I get the dixie cups so I don't eat the whole half gallon ha ha

Question - I think in the March thread someone posted a link to half marathons all over, can you repost that? I have some of my friends talked into a vacation destination race. :smile:
  • tdbernrd
    tdbernrd Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    4/1-6.05
    4/3-3.45
    4/12-3.32
    4/13-1.02
    4/14-3.01
    4/15-6.26
    4/18-4.38
    4/19-3.79

Loving all of the pretty scenery. @hesfeld I don't blame you for avoiding the geese. There are some at my job. They honk to let you know you're getting too close. I quickly turnaround and find another way to get my miles.

exercise.png
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    hanlonsk wrote: »

Since I am trying this strava thing out.... I have one question. It is syncing over to my mfp feed as "running (jogging), in place." .... Now.... I know I am slow..... but I promise I AM MOVING. ... sooooo what do I have set up wrong?..

It definitely has to do with running 12 min/mile or slower. 11:30 min/mile and it would say "running, 11:30 min/mile." Not sure why it does that, and I never figured out how to fix it. Well, I kinda did fix it be switching to Garmin Connect instead of Strava.
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    4/1 - 4 miles on the dreadmill + cross-training - zumba
    4/2 - 12.7 mile long run (night on a crappy couch-worth of sleep, and stomachache from a new gel)
    4/3 - rest
    4/4 - 9 mile glorious run in the misty rain / 1 mile treadmill + cross-training - strength training
    4/5 - 5 mile slow recovery run + cross-training - strength training
    4/6 - 8 mile rainy/windy run + cross-training - zumba
    4/7 - 9 mile glorious run at Piermont Pier/Tallman Mtn. State Park
    4/8 - cross-training - zumba awesomeness!
    4/9 - JFK Runway 5k Race + 10 miles to get to my planned 13 for the day
    4/10 - rest
    4/11 - 8 miles in the ‘it’s way too hot for early/mid-April’ heat (84° when I finished) + strength training
    4/12 - 7 miles in the comfortable rain + strength training
    4/13 - 5 mile short, slowww recovery run
    4/14 - 8 miles
    4/15 - rest (had to miss Zumba, so sad!)
    4/16 - 10 mile long run (shorter cutback week run)
    4/17 - 11 mile run (not as sucky as expected despite being tired/10mi day before/headache/didn’t start til 6pm)
    4/18 - 5 mile slowww and easyyy recovery run

April Total: 115.8/170

462.8 miles/2,017 miles - goal for the year

Last night was a 5 mile recovery run. I FINALLY replaced the battery in my heart rate monitor, so it's nice seeing that again while I'm running, although I think it was a good break to take, to become more comfortable with running just by feel. Now I really need to work out my zones for training purposes. I had an average hr of 139 on last night's run, I need to figure out if that's good or if I need to aim for even lower for a recovery run, lol. I have a ballpark estimate of my max hr (one of these days I might actually do a max hr running test, lol) but I keep forgetting to put my hrm on at home and figure out my resting hr.

Tonight I'm still hoping to get my PR distance 14 mile long run in. I'm kinda really stressing over it cause it's my 4th running day, and I really want to get it in before flying to the DR tomorrow morning. Ugh. I need to not stress over it so much, and not freak if I don't get my exact mileage goal this week. I'll be on vacation from tomorrow through the following Wed, so we'll see how it goes!
  • Mari33a
    Mari33a Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    01/04 4.04 miles
    03/04 3.10 miles
    05/04 3.51 miles
    06/04 4.14 miles
    07/04 3.08 miles
    11/04 3.01 miles
    13/04 3.52 miles
    14/04 4.06 miles
    15/04 3.54 miles
    18/04 3.60 miles
    19/04 4.09 miles

exercise.png

• Elise4270
    Options
    @elise4270 I said I'd never pay that much for ice cream but I do. I get the dixie cups so I don't eat the whole half gallon ha ha

Question - I think in the March thread someone posted a link to half marathons all over, can you repost that? I have some of my friends talked into a vacation destination race. :smile:

I did a Google search and found:

http://www.halfmarathons.net/

http://www.runningintheusa.com/Race/List.aspx?Special=halfmarathon

I don't think I saw the original post, but maybe this will "jog" run someone's memory. :p
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,814 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options

4/2-3.3 miles
    4/3-3 miles
    4/5-3.5 miles
    4/6-2.5 miles
    4/8-4.2 miles
    4/9-5 miles
    4/14-5 miles
    4/17-6 miles
    4/18-3 miles
    total-35.5 miles

So now im doing the full Missoula Marathon, I really dont have high expectations for it, my main goal is to finish it, thats all really, they give you 7 1/2 hours, but Id like to do it in 7. My goal is to run 10-15 of the miles and walk the rest. Now for the Montana marathon, thats the one im really working towards. I just booked a room for Missoula, it took a lot of looking around, but found on 1/2 mile from where the buses pick you up, so I can just walk and not have to wake up my husband and kids to give me a ride at 330am.

exercise.png

Training for:
    5/14-womens run-5mile
    7/9- Missoula Marathon-Full Marathon
    9/17- Montana Marathon-Full marathon