Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Should women lift heavy?

Options

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    VioletRojo wrote: »
    My ovaries can't handle heavy lifting.

I thought it made one's uterus fall out.

My mom legitimately believes this and reminds me on a regular basis.

It can if there is a uterine prolapse. Running, jumping, lifting heavy objects, most exercise other than walking actually can exacerbate a prolapsed uterus and yes, it can actually come out. Kegels can help, but not always prevent it.
  • Morgaen73
    Morgaen73 Posts: 2,818 Member
    Options
    Luckely my wife doesnt have to lift heavy cause I do the cooking :P
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Yes women should go ahead and lift heavy if they want to.

It's okay if they show their ankles, too.
    *Gasp*

Smelling salts and a fainting couch ASAP!!!!111111

:laugh:
  • LowCarb4Me2016
    LowCarb4Me2016 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I think women should do as they please, same as men.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    tl;dr

I used to lift light, now I lift heavy. And heavy for me is heavy for me!

48 years old and still going, don't pry my heavy weights from hands, something might happen to you if you try.
  • BeauNash
    BeauNash Posts: 103 Member
    Options

Steady on. :o

cb37879b79dcf7098d1cea17a6d56520.jpg

Does she even lift?
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    As long as you are able to do so and not hurt yourself, why not? What does your gender have to do with it?
  • Verdenal
    Verdenal Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    If she wants. Not every woman has a need for strength, nor do all women want to get bigger. But as with men, some women want to challenge themselves by seeing how heavy they can lift and they love the physical changes.

What a woman looks like after heavy lifting depends on her body type. There's a myth that everyone slims down. But if you are short and somewhat squat at a normal weight heavy lifting will make you look squatter.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Everyone who is capable of doing resistance training should do lift. There is literally no downside to being stronger, and significant increases in useful lifespan and compression of morbidity as we approach the downward slide of life.
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,765 Member
    Options
    BeauNash wrote: »

Does she even lift?

She's lifting her skirt, can't you see? ;-)
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    lkpducky wrote: »
    BeauNash wrote: »

Does she even lift?

She's lifting her skirt, can't you see? ;-)

And that appears to be quite a bit of material, so likely heavy.
  • evilokc
    evilokc Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    yes, the more you stress the muscle the more it grows. very few people want to be bean pole skinny. the shape is from the muscle. the more muscle the better shape.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    lstrat115 wrote: »
    Now I wonder what everyone's definition of "heavy" is. If I could lift 300 (not there yet) but lifted 200 is that heavy? Or is there a max weight you think people should stop at regardless of their ability and/or potential?

The actual weight is relative to the individual..."heavy" typically describes working in a lower rep range (1-5or6) at a higher % of THEIR 1 RM and is typically done with barbell work. "Heavy" generally produces maximal strength gains...think power lifters.
  • CeeBeeSlim
    CeeBeeSlim Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    @cwolfman - "at a higher % of their 1 RM". Can you explain what that means? Can you give an example? I never quite got the 1rm thing - I picture the powerlifters in those competitions grunting to lift the heaviest they can then walk away. Don't know how that would correspond to average folks. Hope that makes sense.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    CeeBeeSlim wrote: »
    @cwolfman - "at a higher % of their 1 RM". Can you explain what that means? Can you give an example? I never quite got the 1rm thing - I picture the powerlifters in those competitions grunting to lift the heaviest they can then walk away. Don't know how that would correspond to average folks. Hope that makes sense.

Heavy would be 85% or more of a person's 1 rep max and is generally done for 5 or fewer reps. A 1 rep max is the weight you can lift for one full rep and then you need to put it down because you cannot do another proper rep. So if your bench press 1 rep max was 100 lbs, heavy would be 85-100 lbs. I'd go further and say that the 100 pound bench press should be something you can reliably do on a given training day, not something you did one time while amped up for competition.

That's what I can consider the technical definition of heavy lifting. However, think it's more limited than what many non-lifters would call heavy lifting. I think many non-lifters see weights a increasing in difficulty or heaviness purely based on machine vs dumbbells vs barbells. If it happens to come up that I lift weights, people will ask "what kind of weights do you lift?" I was never really sure what they were asking (actual numbers? type of equipment? specific exercises?) but my husband was with me once and answered "heavy ones" and that seemed to satisfy the asker. So that's what I say now too.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    @jemhh put it far more concisely than what I was working on. Heavy is individualized - my heavy squat's weight is going to be a different from yours - but both will be five reps or fewer.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I consider anything in the 1-20 rep range still heavy as long as your pushing yourself.
  • ijsantos2005
    ijsantos2005 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Even if they DON'T want to!
  • CeeBeeSlim
    CeeBeeSlim Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    @jemhh Thanks for clearing that up for me. Makes perfect sense.