• spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Kate UK <3
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    grogers511 wrote: »
    Thanks for the kind comments about the art work.

Lenora... I have a special journal just for the secret writings. I haven't torn any pages out. But - I have collaged and/or painted over individual pages in other journals. I use gesso and cheap acrylic paints from Walmart or Hobby Lobby. The junk journal pages in the post above were painted using mostly Martha Stewart satin acrylic paints - from a set my DGD gave me for Christmas 2015. But I'll use whatever i have on hand. I use rubber stamps to add some interest. Gesso is good to have on hand. It covers anything. Sometimes I gesso the whole page. Sometimes just certain passages. Sometimes I don't use gesso at all. I use wax paper to protect the other pages in the journal during the painting. I let it dry during the day - or use a heat tool to dry it quickly. Careful not to mix the wet paints into a mud color - dry a color before adding another color that won't blend well. One thing to remember... if you don't like the results you can always paint or collage over it.
    Collage is fun. Just snipped pieces from magazines or junk mail. I use a glue stick to glue it down or wet glue for heavier pieces. I'll add paint or markers or stamps. Just have fun.

Pics below are on 3x5 index cards.

--Ginger in Texas
    u5rtrt59hb1q.jpg
    lc0o8khduj5n.jpg
    r80rzq9vsadx.jpg

I do a very similiar process as you. Gesso! Acrylic paints from WalMart, JoAnn's or Michael's. I keep clippings from old magazines and incorporate them with any kind of paper product I can recycle. Junk mail is my friend! I will try and post some pictures later. I love quotes so I incorporate them whenever possible. Pinterest probably has loads of ideas for Art Journaling.

Cheri
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,273 Member
    Options
    Thanks Barbie,
    Penny you and me both hope we both have a better month.
    Nice job Leigh Lisa and Brenda making progress
    Lisa hope your son gets better.
    Pam enjoy the latin dancing.

I have been good at going to aquafit but every time I am about to start to add to my exercise routine my knee starts to bother me. Last Saturday I took my mother to the emergency room and they admitted her that night. She is 90 and had pneumonia. I am going now to finally take her home.

So hopefully now I can get back to making some progress.

Keri in Seattle
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    PIP ~ I like your choice of curtain material very much!

• DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Evening My Dear Friends

We had the garage sale today and I had lots of boy’s clothes from my friend that moved. It was tons of work and really made me feel old and out of shape. The weather turned exceptionally cool and didn’t warm up until noon. Unfortunately the traffic was very light so didn’t make as much as we would have liked. DH and I were so tired when it was over that we just put everything in the garage and I’ll have to sort it later. I will take most of the kid’s clothes to a resale shop so she can get a little money from them. Everything else will be donated to a church that gives them directly to people in need. The way my back feels right now, it may be a few days before I even tackle the garage but I hope I'm up to it tomorrow. I wish I had time to read but I am just too tired, but want you to know I’m thinking of you all.

pretty-pink-welcome-smiley-emoticon.gifto all the Newbies. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

Sending love, good thoughts and sunshine to all of you.
    I Love youwriting-a-love-letter-smiley-emoticon.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,355 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    WOW - Ginger and all of you artists out there, more great ideas for what to do on rainy days. "Doing art" over secret journals is inspiring!

Pip, a big thumbs up on the airstream curtains. They'll look great.

Sarah, has the river crested or is it supposed to get higher? Maybe that's a hard thing to measure - where we live, there are lots of sensors and the weather service is able to predict fairly accurately how high the rivers will get before they recede. I would imagine in flatter land, the water spread into low spots and maybe takes longer to drain out. Glad your sump is working! Your new project with caregivers sounds very rewarding and exciting!

Mary - thank you for sharing your Lyme Disease story. All of your exercise is impressive considering what's going on in your body. I know for me, most of the time, a bite of something sweet is a gateway drug - especially if there's a whole stash waiting to be consumed in the pantry. Worse than alcohol - and I also get a type of "hangover" - super achy joints when I over-indulge.

Keri, I'm sure your mom will be glad to get home. I can't remember - does she live by herself? Sorry your knee is acting up.

Margaret,regarding knees... I'm tempted to see if my insurance will cover self-referral to PT since the ortho doc didn't give me a "prescription" -- he was in a super hurry, when he saw I didn't have anything structural to be fixed per the MRI, he moved on. It does hurt some when I walk a ways but overall I think it's benefitting from more exercise, so maybe it will take care of itself.

Machka9, that map was neat - I bet the bike ride over those islands was spectacular.

Lenora, your post about the loan and insurance sure rang a bell. Makes a person wonder sometimes if everyone is still "in training" .... and I've been so frustrated that I've sometimes asked that (in a nice way.)

I just checked my little tomatoes and herbs in the greenhouse - despite it being cloudy and rainy with only a few minutes of sunshine every hour or so, the temp stays in the mid to upper 70's. Plants are happy! They have a long ways to go tho but at least are looking healthy.

And I had a pleasant surprise in the mail today - a big refund check from the insurance company for "over-paying" for a hearing aid....a year ago! I had no idea I'd even overpaid. I only have it in one ear--some is age related but I've had many ear-aches and problems in that ear for a long time. DH still gets frustrated as I can't hear as well as he can, and I had to explain to him it will never be like it was when I was ten. It's better but not perfect.... for some reason I've lost hearing in the range of his voice? >:)

OK ladies, have a great rest of your weekend!

Lanette

SW WA State
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,242 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I'm back from the grandchildren, but too tired to write much. Of course, we miss them already and had a wonderful time.
    I have visits to us planned for the future, so my heart is happy.
    The art work Ginger showed us is terrific!
    Will post more tomorrow.
    Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • gotu52
    gotu52 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Lanette The rain has stopped so the water should recede in the next few days. I am sitting here listening to the pump go off every 25 seconds. So glad your little plants are coming along. Mine are just sprouting but they are indoors and it is too cold for outside.

Sarah.

• margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,058 Member
    Options
    Pip love the curtains.

Lanette my PT says building up thigh and quads muscles help keep knees healthy. He is also having me do stretches. I have such a high deductible my insurance will not cover these visits. If you want to go through insurance you doctor has to approve. Surprised your doctor did not refer you. Things do not always show up on MRI's. What type of exercises are you doing? I skipped the doctor because it would have added to the cost and those tests are expensive. I still may need them yet, but I don't think so. Knee is already starting to feel stronger doing the right exercises for me.

:heart: Margaret
  • mikesmom1983
    mikesmom1983 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    [

Margaret: The critter in the photo is a nutria. Nutrias are South American rodents that were brought in to the US as a source of fur for fur coats in the 1950's or thereabouts. Nutria never caught on & fur coats in general fell from fashion so the breeders turned their nutria loose on an unprotected ecosystem. They're herbivores & I've read they're a problem in Oregon and Louisiana. I'm not sure where else. (I read up on them because they're a problem in my yard.) :ohwell:
    [/quote]

My mother had a nutria coat and offered it to me when she was downsizing. I had never heard of the fur and glad I didn't know. Rodent??!! Ugh! I so glad I turned down her offer. I get the willies thinking about how I had tried on that coat 25 years ago.

Chris in MA
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,914 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    Machka9 wrote: »
    The sort of thing we do on weekends ...

Saturday -- My husband and I decided to do a nice, casual relaxing ride on Bruny Island today. :)

We took the ferry over to the island, and started the ride with a climb. I was testing new shoes and whenever I get new shoes, the whole cleat thing is always a pain. I thought I had it right, then second guessed myself and changed it ... and so on and so forth ... and it was wrong. So at the top of the hill, my husband "shoed"? "shod"? me. :D And we finally got it right.

The ride continued!

With shoes and cleats that worked, I actually attempted climbing some hills standing up. I haven't done that in a long, long time! It's a bit of work! I could be stiff tomorrow working a set of muscles I haven't worked recently.

Two rain storms came through ... one just before we reached our turn-around town, and we missed it. And one while we were in our turn-around town, and we missed it because we were having a relaxing lunch under shelter. That one was accompanied by thunder!

So it was a good ride. And nice to not really have much in the way of schedules and deadlines. :)

Distance: 74.5 km
    Elevation: 640 m
    Moving Time: 4:21:31
    Elapsed Time: 5:45:08
    Speed: Avg: 17.1 km/h | Max: 51.1 km/h
    Heart Rate: Avg: 135 bpm | Max: 178 bpm

33779685531_42421c46ac_c.jpg

How many miles is that

I don't use miles so I had to look it up ...

1 kilometer is equal to 0.621371 miles

Therefore 74.5 km * 0.621371 = 46.3 miles.

Google has a conversion feature now too. :)
  • pyanko7
    pyanko7 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Thank you ladies for your understanding comments.

It is snowing here again today. We are supposed to get another 2 - 3 inches of snow over night. Ugh! I'm so tired of it. Had a few warm days and right back into winter.

I do have tulips growing in the house - I needed something to remind me that spring is coming. Hope I can get them to bloom.

Hugs to everyone - you are a wonderful bunch of ladies.

Paula Y
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Pip – Beautiful choice!

Ginger – Thanks! I think I will try that. I am very familiar with Gesso; as an artist I use it for a lot. I always paint my canvases with it even though they have a thin coat on them aready. I do it to smooth out the texture, mostly. I was in ‘art school’ when acrylics came out. They have greatly improved since. Back then, you could NOT ‘mixed’ them together to make other colors like you can ‘oils’ (or even watercolors, to a degree). They work a lot like watercolor when the paper is wet or you use a wet brush. And opaque when you use them straight up. Good work! Love them all. Never thought about painting on an index card. I could do that all day long. It wouldn’t take all the clean-up of setting up my oils and then ‘hoping’ I have the color I need to use. I painted a former HS alumni after he retired from the Army as a Full Bird Colonel (and he paid me to do it). He wanted the bars to be ‘spot on’ and after looking them up on the Internet, I asked if he would send them to me. The colors were ‘so’ different on the Internet than they were in ‘real life’.

Guess I need to get a “Pinterest” account. My DDnL#2 send me stuff all the time.

Sarah – I image that is about how it looks at my son’s ‘lake place’. They stayed at one of his boss’s houses, so that ‘if’ they need to take things upstairs, they could. DDnL#2’s mother and daddy called them every 15 minutes giving them reports about how things are, ‘in town’. The lake is flooded because of the rains; but, it does flood in town, too. They’re about 5 blocks from the MS River; with 2 levees between them and it. When it gets up to a certain level, they start moving things or putting them up on blocks.

Lanette – The one in TX was ‘surprised’ that we had ‘withdrawn’ because the local loan office just said, we had ‘withdrawn the application’ and she was ‘curious as to why we did it since they had waived the P&L statement that had been holding it up. I viewed it ‘very much as an unanswered prayer … that got answered’. Worst thing we could have chosen to do. Not only would my car be ‘upside-down’ in a year; I would have ‘encumbered’ some bills that are ‘not encumbered’ and it would have tied back to our house. If DH was to pass away (or even if I did) could have ‘possibly’ lost what we have worked YEARS to get. Don’t do this … Don’t let anyone talk you into it.

BAD IDEA! Under any circumstance … I would guess that a Reverse Mortgage would be the same. IF it ‘sounds too good to be true, it probably is … RUN’!!!!!

Janetr okc – Pretty girl! Our DMGD went to prom tonight. Her dress was outstanding! They bought a blouse that they had the tailor re-do and used it instead of the one that was cut in so far that she was miserable in it. It cut in real close front and back. They got one that had sleeves in it (short) – lacey … beautiful, on her

Machka9 – On my Windows, I have Cortana (a search engine at the lower left-hand corner of my screen. I find it invaluable because I can look up anything and not have to close out and go to IE or Google. “Ask me anything” is what is showing in the box.

Paula – They had some beautiful tulips, daffodils, and hydrangeas at Publix. I would have bought something; but, then Louis would have want to know ‘if we could eat them’. I do want to get in my garden and start fixing things up. I need to see if Louis will weed it; and, then I need to get some potting soil to put over them. Most of the bulbs probably need to be dug up and separated and replanted. But, I don’t know squat about doing that.

Lenora
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • miakoda40
    miakoda40 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,569 Member
    Options
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    The sort of thing we do on weekends ...

Saturday -- My husband and I decided to do a nice, casual relaxing ride on Bruny Island today. :)

We took the ferry over to the island, and started the ride with a climb. I was testing new shoes and whenever I get new shoes, the whole cleat thing is always a pain. I thought I had it right, then second guessed myself and changed it ... and so on and so forth ... and it was wrong. So at the top of the hill, my husband "shoed"? "shod"? me. :D And we finally got it right.

The ride continued!

With shoes and cleats that worked, I actually attempted climbing some hills standing up. I haven't done that in a long, long time! It's a bit of work! I could be stiff tomorrow working a set of muscles I haven't worked recently.

Two rain storms came through ... one just before we reached our turn-around town, and we missed it. And one while we were in our turn-around town, and we missed it because we were having a relaxing lunch under shelter. That one was accompanied by thunder!

So it was a good ride. And nice to not really have much in the way of schedules and deadlines. :)

Distance: 74.5 km
    Elevation: 640 m
    Moving Time: 4:21:31
    Elapsed Time: 5:45:08
    Speed: Avg: 17.1 km/h | Max: 51.1 km/h
    Heart Rate: Avg: 135 bpm | Max: 178 bpm

33779685531_42421c46ac_c.jpg

How many miles is that

I don't use miles so I had to look it up ...

1 kilometer is equal to 0.621371 miles

Therefore 74.5 km * 0.621371 = 46.3 miles.

Google has a conversion feature now too. :)

Thanks. When I was looking up the conversion, I was getting something wacky. That looked like around 40 or so miles. Nice ride