WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2017

Options

Replies

• margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,069 Member
    Options
    Katla that nutria looks a lot like a woodchuck. They are incredibly destructive. It sounds like you have the same problem with your critter. We have problems here with people dumping their fish tanks into ponds and lakes. The snails have become invasive and huge. Frustrating.
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,365 Member
    Options
    Did an hour of a Butt Bible DVD today. The plan for tomorrow is to do a Peak 10 cardio DVD

Naomi - doesn't it feel good when you know that you're doing more and more than you previously could?

Went to WalMart and Sam's. Forgot to get Vince his soda so had to run to Food Lion. Fortunately, that store is VERY close to my house.

Kim - Vince feels that doing something like asking her to send us the bills is just setting us up for conflict with Denise. I guess I'm just afraid that Denise is never going to find her own way because whenever there's a problem, Pete's mother will step in and pay to get her out. A while ago Denise didn't pay her car insurance. We kept telling her over and over that if she doesn't pay it, her car can be repossessed. I suspect she thought we'd pay it. Well...we didn't. And her car was repossessed. To this day she's very conscious that she has insurance for her car. As much as it hurt us, we let her make her own mistake. And let me tell you, it hurt. When Pete attempted to hotwire her car by putting a screwdriver in it, we brought her here and made her earn the money to get her car fixed. Today she takes care of her car (many times calling Vince to ask him what the problem could be). I've lost Bryan, I really don't want to lose Denise, too. I like your idea of an address book for passwords,

Beth - happy showering! I know it'll feel good. Boy, you've certainly had some problems. How many times I've said "dear Saint Anthony, something's lost that can't be found". Honestly, and I don't know if this is coincidence or not, it's always been found

Lisa - I have a friend who had WLS, and in talking to her I was very surprised at how little psychological help she'd gotten before her surgery

BBRRT - congrats on that terrific weight loss. Between 2 and 6 if you have a craving for sweets, would one of those snack size boxes of raisins help you? They are sweet. I also have these fruit strips (all fruit, no sugar) and they are sweet.

So many of you ladies are so wise about dealing with your past. Really inspires me

KJ - it was me who asked about Easter basket. When my kids were little, they always remembered that their baskets didn't have all candy in them. That's not to say there wasn't ANY candy, there was, just not a whole lot. I would give them the fruit juice boxes, bags of popcorn, things like that. They used to comment "but daddy works for a candy company!"
    I like your idea of your basket. I'm certainly going to remember it. Wonder if I have one large enough or I guess I could get one at the Salvation Army. In case Jess doesn't come down Easter weekend, I'm not going to get veggies. But maybe I'll have to make up a basket of this-and-that. Any other ideas for things to put in it? I'm not sure she likes salsa, but if I put it in there and she doesn't like it, she can always give it to someone who does. The question will be "how to wrap it". Gotta think on that a bit. Any ideas? Later: Hey, I was just looking online for ideas and they showed a gift "tote".

Lanette - I, too, registered for the Sweet Freedom Summit, but I really didn't find much at all about it on the website.

Georgiaview - welcome! Love your avatar

Meg (((HUGS))) I can hardly believe what you've been going thru, you poor dear. And Benny on top of all this. (((EXTRA HUG))))

therwil - good luck to you.

Kim in GA - It's great that you're not giving up. You will be able to eat the foods you like, just in moderation. And eventually, you might even find that they no longer appeal to you. Remember, too, that most restaurants use a pretty good amount of salt in their foods. Welcome!

Michele in NC
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    <3
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    grogers511 wrote: »
    Keep writing. Sometimes I'll write out thoughts and feelings and do art work over it. I learned to do this when my ex found my writings and shared them with his parents and attorney. Actually - I think it helped me more than him. But... since then any particularly vulnerable writing gets burned (sent out to the universe) or covered with art. You are strong, beautiful souls. Wish I could give you each a warm hug. <3
    --Ginger in Texas

Thank you for this idea. I do art journaling. I have a daily grateful journal. I have some things written down over the years regarding my childhood and also things from during our marriage when we were working through a deep valley that I would like to keep but have always worried about being read by others. I am going to paste these into a thick paper journal and get my art journaling on! Maybe then too I can put some of these remembered "loops" in my brain truly to rest.

Our strength here is phenomenal. Being able to be honest with ourselves and each other is difficult at times but I believe a necessary process for healing and continuing a healthy journey in this thing called life.

Hugs and love my beautiful friends,

Cheri

• Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    NYKaren: Have a fantastic vacation. Well deserved.

Chris in MA: I love your posts. Inspiring how you just keep on going like the energizer bunny. If you find the remedy for squishy parts, I’m listening.

Lisa: Count me among the abuse survivors who sought comfort through food and hid behind fat. I clearly remember seeing therapist in my early 20’s, specifically for the treatment of my weight issues. After about a year of weekly sessions, I finally told her about my father physically abusing me, and she about fell out of her chair.

Sarah: ((hugs)) and bless you for working to help others who have been abused.

KJ: I always tear up saying good-bye to loved ones, even my crazy cat. I can just imagine the wave of emotions as you were cuddling Joaquin before heading home. Buffalo Bill’s home has been made into a museum not far from where I live. You should come visit.

Mary: Are you going to post any before and after pictures of yourself?

Penny: Sending you reiki energy to help relieve your back pain. Have fun with the family.

Meg: Like all the others here, I am sending you strength, love and light. :cry: Please take care of yourself.

Kim: Your idea of posting passwords in an address book is so brilliant, I’m adding it to my goals for this month. Thank you!!! :smiley:

Katla: Hope that nutria moves on to other yards.

Karen in VA: Your post brought back memories. I didn’t grow up in a small town, but still safe enough to be out and about all day on our bikes. So true how the parents all kept tabs on us kids.

Dr. Katie: Great spring cleaning! Bravo.

Barbie: Enjoy the trek to Seattle and the show. I’m jealous.

The three pounds I put on while on vacation are off, but I actually gained in March, so wake up call. Time to get back to basics. Will watch my macros, especially carbs. I have my annual check up next Friday and will get results of blood work. I'm wondering of 10 months without alcohol has had any effect on cholesterol. :confused:

My bag is packed and I’m ready to go. I’ve never been to Reno, but do know it’s close to Lake Tahoe. Sunday is an open day, so may head into the mountains and see a pretty part of the Sierra Nevadas.

Stay well friends. We can do this.
    Rori
    Colorado Foothills

April Resolutions
    Prelog my breakfast and 2 snacks
    Collect all passwords into an address book
    Call one long distance friend per week
    Practice Reiki daily
    Word for 2017: Attune

• fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,139 Member
    Options
    Rori - I might at the end of May!
  • pyanko7
    pyanko7 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Hugs to those in need, Thanks for sharing your stories. I too was abused - by my ex-husband. He is an alcoholic and very abusive - he would hit me, push me around, throw things at me. I miscarried my first baby because of the stress and his abuse. Others thought he was a wonderful person, but they didn't know about our home life. I finally had the courage to leave him after 10 years of marriage. My daughter remembers a lot about that time, my son does not. I feel so proud of my children, that they have both grown up to be wonderful, loving parents to their children. And I know it is because of the way I raised them. Neither of them have any contact with their father - this is their wishes and does not have anything to do with me, although he has tried to blame me for it. After we were divorced, the principal at my children's school made the comment about how well off I must be, because my ex was so generous in the bars, buying rounds for everyone and handing out tips to the staff. Loved the look on her face when I told her he had spent every dime we had and that I had to borrow money from my sister to put food on the table. She realized that things were not as he had made everyone think.

I am counting the days until I leave to visit my daughter and grandchildren. It's a 10 hour drive from here, but so looking forward to spending time with them.

Take care of yourselves. Hugs to all.

Paula Y
  • grogers511
    grogers511 Posts: 476 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    KatieBug - you've reminded me it's time to pull my DM90's bed apart and see what's hiding under it. I tracked some ants to a hidden box of chocolates there last year. I plan to get everything out from under it so I can vacuum under it. My goal is to get everything up off the floors.

Feels good to get it done huh?

--Ginger in Texas
  • therwil
    therwil Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Miayou CAN do it!!! It feels so good.
  • IremiaRe
    IremiaRe Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    <3

Lots of big hugs for everybody!

I love you guys!!

Re in TX
  • dreamwriter
    dreamwriter Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Leah - I'm not a fan of nettle tea.
    hmmmm....... Rub coffee grounds on my thighs? How long do you leave them on?
    I'll do anything for thinner thighs.

Sarah - Looking into crucial conversations. I have worked with this man since 1997.

Penny - Isn't it nice to love where you live?

Margaret - I am still walking when able. I give it a rest sometimes by standing on my good leg like a stork.
    Starting the rounds of doctors soon.

Kelly - So happy for you that you had an extra day with Joaquin. Snuggle time is so good for the soul.

Anita - I am sorry that happened to you.

Katla - It is heartbreaking that your Mother never felt loved.

Heather - We all deserve a treat every once in a while.

Ginger - Impressive how you took stock of everything before taking
    action.

Sarah and Carol - I am glad you feel safe to share with us. I am sure that my Dad also suffered from PTSD in the army. He was a good man and was always helping others but when he drank......watch out. My worst memory is of him pulling us out of bed, getting one of his guns and asking each of us if he should shoot himself. Like so many of you, I had a complicated relationship with my Dad. I was proud of him, ashamed of him, scared of him. I loved him and glad that I was able to spend time with him when he had stopped drinking.

Beth - Congratulations. Talking about finances is never easy.

Meg - Sending you strength and hugs. We are here for you.

Mia - Yes, you CAN.

I am so glad to have 3 days off work. Yesterday I went for lunch with a former co-worker/friend. It was just the 2 of us and time just went so quickly. We laughed a lot. I really needed that. Unfortunately my friend got a parking ticket and then managed to get another while paying the first.

I am trying to get my wardrobe in order so that I can pull together an outfit at a moment's notice. It is not so easy for me but my daughter is willing to help. Not sure when it happened but I now need a second opinion on all of my clothes. I remember in my twenties I was always confident in my choices. It might have helped that I was as skinny as a rail and most things looked great on me. I bought a dress, jacket and necklace to go to this wedding. I need to work on my belly area so everything will hang just a little nicer. I am excited to wear this outfit.

DH picked out the wedding present. It is nice but certainly not outside the box. I hope they will use it.

Greysyn is leaving for Quebec tomorrow. He is anxious and excited. It is a big trip for him. I think it will be a wonderful experience. He will have a week's vacation when he comes back. Have to say I am jealous of the opportunity he has.

DH found a doll for Harmony at a garage sale. The woman also gave him another head plus shoes that don't fit the doll. Harmony was very pleased.

Really need to get to work on doing up my disability paper work. Longing for a life of leisure.

I am going to see what I have to do so that I can legally perform marriage ceremonies. I have been thinking of this for the last little while. So much to do and I seem to be exhausted most of the time.

-Sharon in Lethbridge ( excited about new possibilities)
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Lots of hugs to all who need them, you are all so brave

Kate UK <3<3
  • pitegny
    pitegny Posts: 1,006 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Ginger: Love your ode to spring...you are one talented lady!

Chris in MA: I would also be interested in a remedy for squishy parts. My solid fat stomach and abdomen is now becoming so soft that I can knead it like really soft bread dough! The good news is that there is now less of it to knead!

Tracey: Congratulations on making your step goal!

Michele: Re the basket, I have friends who keep two small baskets for their grandchildren for Easter, Halloween and special treats between. One has a mix of candy and healthy snacks, the other pretty rocks, colored pencils and other tiny objects they find. When it is time for a treat, they offer the grandkids the opportunity to pick one thing from one of the baskets. They told me that the kids most often choose to take something from the non-food basket. It reminds me a little of my experience with my own grandmother. She had a big steamer trunk which was filled with all kinds of interesting things. When I visited, we would always spend time exploring the trunk. When she died, she left me the trunk in her will. For years now, I have been collecting tiny little treats to fill it, awaiting the day when one or both of my sons bring a grandchild home. Of course, the way it is looking right now, I might need to buy a second trunk before they settle down. One is 28, the other 30 and neither is anywhere near ready for family life.

KimK: Don't worry, the weight from your trip will soon disappear.

Paula: Your experience with people on the outside having a totally different view of an abuser is all too true. My sister was abused mentally and physically by her first husband. It took some time before any of us realized what was happening. We were very glad when she took the step to leave him behind.

- Leigh in France

I
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    "Stress and distress are two very different things". Lisa. I will have this quote in my pocket for a while, thank you.

Beth pretty cool that the chocolate bunnies are not multiplying in your house this season! I bought a small pack of jelly beans and of peeps cause I don't care for either, they will be gobbled up by DH and the rest packed up for DD for my visit tomorrow. I think it is very very important that you sit down with DYS about this sacrifice you are making

Warning, here comes a rant:

I feel a bit over run by 20 year olds at work that seem to have an attitude that they are owed something, and if things go wrong it is not their fault, they make excuses when outcomes are mediocre. Yikes! I know that sounds like a blanket statement but I have two young women who seem to accept less than or good enough and it is rubbing off on their students. I get wound up, and have to reset expectations with students who look at me like well, "Ms so and so said it was fine". Oy :# we do a great disservice to the next generation by handing everything to them without letting them learn that they can do more for themselves! Rant over.

NYKAREN