WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2017

Options

Replies

• fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,121 Member
    Options
    flo28023 wrote: »
    Hello all, my name is Mary i live in southern Michigan. I am a newbie :) i have already lost 26 lbs simply watching calories and walking. I have more i would like to lose but just trying to enjoying my progress from week to week.

You are doing fantastic! Just watching calories and walking! They say calories are 80% of the fight!

Leigh - congratulations on your achievement! It is amazing what we carried on us prior to trying to get it off! Love the comparisons!

Mary from Minnesota
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    becca you are beautiful <3

Barbie I love your story of knowing when and being at peace with your retirement-insightful

NYKAREN
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    Awe nykaren I appreciate your kind words. I am noticing lines on the sides of my mouth, my jowels (spelling?). Also I am getting a crapy neck! I'm not gonna look that word up either, even though my tablet red lined it!
    Becca
    Making sweet potato fries now!
    Becca
    Sunny Oregon
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,712 Member
    Options
    well today has been a day.. almost 12,000 steps.. took my dad to Panera for a late lunch,, I let him ramble its all politics and keveching about my son.. but I let him yap . because he is my dad and someday he wont be here to do that..
    gonna get my pajamas on and get ready for bed I am pooped..
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,559 Member
    Options
    stats for the day:

Day 8
    Plyometrics exercises-
    3sets of 10each, squats, burpees, running stationary lunges, single leg toe touches, - 12min, 122ahr, 140mhr = 100c
    Apple Watch- 89c
    jog- 11.42min, 6.5-9.5sp 144ahr, 156mhr, 8.58min mi, 1.30mi = 141c
    Apple Watch- 149c

total cal 241 - light day
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    well today has been a day.. almost 12,000 steps.. took my dad to Panera for a late lunch,, I let him ramble its all politics and keveching about my son.. but I let him yap . because he is my dad and someday he wont be here to do that..
    gonna get my pajamas on and get ready for bed I am pooped..

Yes, there are times when I would love to be able to chat, or even get yelled at, belittled anything! Just to hear their voices. You are lucky to have him!
    Becca
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,559 Member
    Options
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,350 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Dana, glad you didn't blow away! Yep, it's Mt. St. Helens. We lived east of Seattle when she blew in 1980 and got a dusting of ash up there. Down here, people tell stories of actually seeing the eruption happen since it's so close....a fellow I worked with was roofing his house that day and got a front row seat. I can't imagine. When I walk the local roads I get to see both that crater (from a distance) and Mt. Rainier.

Kate - love your new winter coat! Very becoming and I'm sure will keep you warm in the winter. Now is the time to grab these coats up when you see them, that's for sure.

Mary, I never thought of adding up my steps to see how many miles I walk in a month and setting a goal for that. Thank you for mentioning it - that's a great way to look at it! I got in over 85 miles which isn't bad.

Carol, your seafood dinner makes me hungry for shrimp. DH generally hates to go to restaurants but if I play it right I can drag him to Red Lobster one of these days. I'll make sure we're there early before it gets busy.

Becca - beautiful selfie!! Never mind the wrinkles, they are treasure maps <3

Allie - good for you taking your dad to lunch, and you are right - you'll miss him when he's not there to do that anymore. Bet he loved getting out!

Barbie
    , thank you for sharing your retirement story. I know many teachers who also left early. I had planned on waiting until I was 66...attended a WA State Retirement Seminar several years ago and after that a lot started falling into place for me to get out sooner. I talked with the county benefits person and discovered I could leave in early August, my medical would be paid for several months, then Medicare kicked in and my state pension last October.

To have stuck it out would have been maybe $5 more per month in pension benefits. We did have some medical coverage through my employer (I still had to pay part of the premium) - but with those deductibles, co-pays and out of pocket, being on Medicare and paying for supplemental insurance is actually a better deal anyhow.

Over all, I still get my "people" fix with my casual job, meeting new friends at the gym when I go, and my volunteer activities. What I love most is the freedom... I am now completely in charge of my own time, so can be here for DH when he needs me.

Well, the rains came through here today. DH managed to get most of the lawn mowed this weekend between the showers and I'm waiting for a clear spell to get another walk in.

Welcome newbies!! Make sure to check for Barbie's May thread - the link will be posted later today. She's a doll for volunteering to be "house-mother". B)

Lanette
    SW WA State
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,121 Member
    Options
    Lanette- great job on your steps! There are all kinds of walking challenges on here too! It's a nice way to burn calories for just about everyone.

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Barbie: The weather has been dry but overcast. I haven't have the gumption to take the dog for a walk yet. :embarassed:

Lenora: We are Direct TV customers, too. They have horse programming that I enjoy and all of our local stations. We had Comcast before, and they were trying to jack up our rates every three months or so. It was a chronic irritant & we were glad to have another option. Then there are the junk channels. :grumble: Direct TV has some junk channels, too, but they also have things we like and aren't constantly jacking around with the rates. Direct TV is now owned by AT&T & they've provided better service than the company did before they bought it. :star:

Nancy in AZ: You have a gorgeous family! :smiley:

Becca: thanks for the tip on posting photos. :smile:

Heather: You and your friend can try the intervention with your former school days chum, and I wish you luck. I wonder if the woman who needs the intervention will respond in a good way. I hope you don't end up heart-sore. :heart:

Barbie, Lanette and Heather: I'm also a retired teacher. I retired at a time the district was offering retirement incentives to people who were old-timers and getting higher salaries & benefits. I retired then because my husband's health was declining and he needed me at home. The district kept me on its health insurance plan until I was eligible for Medicare & public employee retirement system pension & health insurance plans. I haven't regretted the decision. :heart:

I've spent most of the day reading. It is pretty outside and I'm considering taking our dog for a walk, but I'm having a low energy day. We have been offline nearly all day & I've been grateful I had a book to read. I've finished it and my next stop will be the online library.

We had an interruption of telephone and internet service this morning. I spent my time reading, finished my library book, and just now found that we have the internet back. Yay!!! Now I can get to the library online and find another book!

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

"So many of us believe in perfection, which ruins everything else, because the perfect is not only the enemy of the good; it's also the enemy of the realistic, the possible and the fun."

• suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Olivia is so beautiful. Like a lot of you I am looking forward to a new month. April had lots of things going on and I lost my motivation to track. However, tomorrow I will begin again.
    Lisa - good luck with your new job. Glad you are feeling better.
    Jill - happy birthday. Have a great day tomorrow.
    Nancy - lovely family picture. I know you are proud of your kids.
    We were lucky the storms missed us but some friends had gone to an RV rally in Canton on STurday. Hav n't heard from them but praying all is ok.
    See you all next month. Lol
    SueBDew in TX