WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2017

Options

Replies

• IremiaRe
    IremiaRe Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Don't worry, Jill... Our Fearless Leader, Barbie, will start a May thread. We will all start tracking May, together. Welcome!

Not much going on for me - Just checking in to let you know I am still breathing.

And Michele - I ate veggies, today... LOL

Hugs for Everybody!!

Re in TX
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,730 Member
    Options
    Morning all~
    up with the birds and going to walk the dogs and off to grocery shop, will try and make mindful choices...
    have alot to do today. mow the lawn, clean the house and clean out my closets.. will check in later..
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Dana Stay safe! I grew up in Nebraska...we had a cellar and we did have to go there periodically due to hailstorms and tornadoes. I have always loved the awesome power of storms, and my folks used to have to corral me to get me inside when they became dangerous. I have never been afraid of them. Probably not good, but I'm still alive. Love a storm. My dogs, not so much.

Nancy What a handsome family! Wonderful in red!

Michele We used scat mats when we had to start keeping the cats out of the bedroom due to an allergy situation. Also to modify the behavior of a cat who though he needed to be on the kitchen counter. I adored my kitties, they all lived to 18 or older, but they did not learn without reinforcement when I wasn't around. They just waited until I was gone and then did what they pleased. Scat mats quickly took care of the naughty kitty behavior. They hate the feel of the static electricity shock on their paws. Tough love. It doesn't cause any harm except to their dignity, which I did feel a little bit bad about, but we couldn't have kitties banging on the bedroom door all night or hopping on the kitchen counter. They learn after 2-3 transgressions.

Michele OMG that litter box cake sounds so disgusting so I had to look it up. Here is a YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NaP1dq9K9s

PIP You and your friend had fun! Love those photos. So fun!

Leigh Congrats on losing the bale of hay. I would like to lose an elephant penis for starters. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/660835/ive-lost-an-elephant-penis/p1

Heather Too bad about the Glasgow friend not being on board with an intervention. After 54 years of friendship, who would be better to do it than the 3 of you? All I can think is your difficult friend must be so immersed in the sordidness of her life that she can't think or talk about anything else. What a miserable existence.

Machka A delightful list of milestones and accomplishments! Congratulations!

Karen in Virginia
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Morning, all...

Welcome to all the new ones--at some point toward end of day today, Barbie will post a link to the new thread for May. So gird your loins! In your first post in the new thread, the convention is that you tell us how you did on your goals for the past month, and what you hope to accomplish during the month to come. We all will. :)

Sorry I've been cranky and uncommunicative for a few days--this cold got way past the cold stage, but after trying to wade through the VA bureaucracy to be seen locally, I simply gave up and just hunkered down. Finally feeling like I might survive this morning. Not the first sinus/bronchial infection I've dealt with, but the first in a long, long time. Corey brought the bug home, gave it to me, and of course, we both had it on the road for our short vacation, as well. Nyquil nights, for sure.

But, I feel as if I've shaken most of it off as of this morning--and am really looking forward to starting the new job tomorrow morning! Virtual meeting tomorrow for my orientation--and then the CEO, her exec admin, and my counterpart in the other side of the region will be coming out from El Paso Tuesday, bringing me a laptop, etc., to meet me and start showing me the ropes. Should be interesting... :)

Loving all the baby pictures! So much fun...

Lisa in West Texas
  • LM_105
    LM_105 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Hi I just wondered how I might join this group? Thanks!
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,830 Member
    Options
    Ugh! Just lost my post! I will blame the weather change (it is rainy and dark today) and the effect the barometric pressure is having on my head/sinuses. Could be worse; but I want those 70 degree sunny days back! Woke up to the news of the storms moving across the SW/Midwest states. Thinking of all of you in the path of tornados and flooding! Hope you and your families/loved ones are all safe!
    Welcome new/returning ladies! - watch for Barbie's last post for April at some time today. She will post a link for May. Just click on the link and remember to bookmark (click on the star above the search icon/magnifying glass at the top of the page)!
    Heather - Thinking of you and your difficult friend. Had a similar situation earlier in life. Long time friend complaining about a problem that was all of her doing, and one she chose to stay in, when she was the only one who could "fix" the problem. Listening to her complain, constantly, about the SAME problem; even though she KNEW what she had to do, was just too much. As I was newly married, newly "mothered", and had just lost both of my parents, I am sure I thought her problem was stupid, trivial and unnecessary to have. I ended our friendship. I just couldn't handle the complaining and what I viewed as self-centeredness of it all. I imagine, I was looking for an "ear" or shoulder and wasn't finding it in her. Long story short- we didn't talk for about 10 years (her choice). Then she contacted me and we talk now about two or three times a year. Not much, but keeping in touch and keeping each other abreast at where we are in life. Not an easy choice to make; but just know you are in my thoughts. :*
    Margaret, Lanette, and Pip- Love the pics of flowers, mountains (WOW!) and fun times with friends!
    Karen in VA- Olivia is getting so big! She is a love! o:)
    Leigh- That is a HUGE NSV! Congrats! Knowing that such things that were once so hard are now easier; stairs, uphill walks, longer distance walks...those kind of things make my arms go up and the Rocky theme go off in my head! I hope you did your victory dance when you met your friend!
    Nancy in AZ- Welcome! Love your family pic and I think we all know how life really is. It is a rollercoaster. Sometimes a smooth straight ride, then come the hills and stomach churning dips and rolls. You have a beautiful family and bless your DH for wanting to payback some of that kitchen work! I wish my DH would have that idea pop into his head; although I am sure I wouldn't survive the meals he would make! >:)
    The litter box cake- Gah! I have seen pics of this cake and it is one that I don't think I could ever bring myself to make or serve (even to my daycare kids). Funny and I am sure delicious; but I can't get past the gross factor with this one. Same goes for the baby shower cake that I have seen that is shaped like a baby. Ingenious and creative; but hacking into a red velvet cake shaped like a baby makes my skin crawl.

I went to a baby shower yesterday for my DD's best friend. This young lady was like a second daughter for me, as she and my daughter were friends since childhood and remained that way. Very cool that their babies are only a couple months apart (her baby is due in May; a little girl). Anyway, great shower, lots of pink and I won one of the games. lol I actually won both, but I felt a bit guilty as a person who works with and plays with small children as my occupation, I feel I had an unfair advantage. The first game was to make a baby out of Play-doh. Come on. Play-doh is my life! The second game was to name the animal babies. That one was a little harder. for instance a baby Eel is called___? A baby sea urchin____? A baby hawk___? I had to guess on quite a few of those, but I got 12 out of 16. I passed on the gift, because I just felt awful for winning the second game, too.

After the shower, I drove about 20 miles further north to visit my former work-out partner. She used to live a mile away from me, but moved 35 miles north to a beautiful home on a small lake. She and her hubby are "birders" in their spare time. Both still work full time, but this new home is ideal for all kinds of bird activity. She is ten years younger than I am, but when we met at the gym it was one of those instant friendships. We both have a very optimistic look on life and I always considered her to be a very high energy person. While we talked and walked I told her that I envied her "energy" and she laughed and told me that I have the same energy, it is just that I use most of mine during my job. I guess I never really thought of it that way. I do remember the years when my kids were young and I would work my daycare job/hours, and then keep going with my kids, and even have the energy to keep going after they went to bed and stay up and keep "doing" things until 11 or 12 at night. Most days/nights were like that. Maybe if I got my weight down, I would be able to do that again? Not that I want to constantly be "doing". I just would like to know that I can do more than just get through the work day. Oh well, it was one of those "lightbulb" moments! It was a good day!

My plan for today was to get some yard work done, but it rained all night and is still raining. I guess a trip to the library, craft store, and the supermarket for some cold meds (just in case this sinus thing decides to escalate). Trying to keep it at bay with salt water rinses and hot tea.

ttfn dear ladies! xoxoxo KJ (Kelly)
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    570018w02xr7isn0.gif
  • grandmallie
    Options
    back from shopping. put most of it away, and now onto mowing the lawn...
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    Good morning peeps! Happy last day of the month!

Pip - are you sure that gorgeous gal isn't your twin? Or at least a sister?

Lenora - girl, it's your turn to post some pictures!

Nancy - thank you for sharing your story and the cute family photo. Not wanting to buy clothes a size bigger is a good incentive (my main one!) Way to go on the baking.... I don't bake much anymore because I tend to eat it all. It's DH's fault - he used to inhale goodies and now leaves that up to me. B) Good for your DH cooking! Isn't it nice to have a "handy" guy around? Cool that the kids are out of the house but still close by enough you can see them from time to time. Bet you miss them, especially your daughter - you share so many interests. YES, having the retired husband home all the time is an adjustment for sure... sorry to hear about your health issues.

Margaret, thanks for sharing the Art Bloom photos. Interesting story about the florist and her art. She knows her stuff!

Dana, hope you didn't blow away. One of the first things we noticed when we moved near Seattle 40 years ago from the Midwest was the absence of lightning rods on the houses. We do get a bit of thunder and lightning but it's rare a house is hit - mostly cloud to cloud I guess...or one of our tall evergreens gets it.

Leigh !!!
    Happy Dance for you! How neat to be able to meet your friend in Geneva and make the walk uphill just fine. I love hearing stories about living near these ancient (to me) cities in Europe.

Karen in VA - I'd forgotten about the pounds to lose scale. I'd be happy, for now, to lose a couple ostrich eggs. Even one ostrich egg. Remember when Oprah lost that wagon load of beef fat (or something equally shocking? ) And wish I'd have known about that scat mat when we got our rescue cat. I go through a lot of bleach solution wiping down the counters all the time. Maybe it's not too late to try it on her....as long as she doesn't seek revenge! :o She is also a "pistol".

Lisa! Glad you are back among the living. Excited for your first day of work tomorrow - let us know how it goes!

Karen
    - you look fabulous. Glad you are feeling better. I too am looking forward to a new month and renewed enthusiasm to get back on the wagon and away from little Debbie and her terrible gang. Been trying to have more healthy snacks around - actually had half an avocado for a snack the other night. Yes, it had fat and calories BUT much better than cake or candy. And I sure didn't crave another avocado.

Kelly - what a neat story about your workout friend and what she said about energy. Dealing with kids all day and so many other activities....you are supercharged! I am a turtle compared to you. And I always love your enthusiasm...very infectious. <3

Heather, I admire you for doing so well with your arm injury.... and keeping close track of when you over-eat and immediately upping exercise or cutting back to keep within limits. It's a great reminder to me that we need to tend to this daily. Losing weight was never a problem but keeping it off is the challenge.

Michele, Kate, others of you so dedicated to daily exercise are also an inspiration.

Paula, wow, sounds like you'll be super busy ... is it normal for you to travel and be at meetings a lot? Hope they'll have healthy choices at dinners... I'll admit that used to be my weakness when I had to go to conferences, but was glad they had plain oatmeal and scrambled eggs at the continental breakfast table. I got to be a fan of Caesar salads with grilled chicken on the side...and dressing on the side too.

OK, sun is finally shining here again. Before I go - here's another mountain picture of DH and me taken several years ago:

cjli8gc3g0ds.jpg

Any guesses where this is? B) On a clear day I can see it when I go for a walk.

Lanette
    SW WA State
  • grandmallie
    Options
    back from mowing the lawn and a load on laundry in, and another going in after, then to go through my clothes and maybe take my dad out for an early dinner
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,580 Member
    Options