Artificial Sweeteners?

Options

Replies

• mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    Sunna_W wrote: »
    I avoid artificial sweeteners because they taste horrible to me. Also, I generally don't use sugar in my coffee and I reduce the amount of sugar in the recipes I prepare that call for it without really noticing the overall effect in the recipe. That said, I do love strong dark coffee brewed in a Moka Pot, and was using a lot of half and half in it so that it didn’t hurt my stomach. But each ounce of half and half is 38 calories and I was using at least 4 ounces a day (maybe more). What I did to compensate was to a use a lesser amount but higher quality coffee beans that were darker and lower in acid. (Check out Leelanu Coffee Roasters in Michigan for lighter / sweeter roasts (like Yrgacheffe, from Ethiopia; or, coffee from Costa Rica or Guatemala) and maybe consider brewing your coffee differently (or use less beans) to get a milder flavor). Also, agave nectar is 21 calories, is lower on the glycemic index and tastes sweeter to me, so maybe try getting some of that and taper down from there.

Excellent post! This is how to share personal experience without applying it to everyone else - plus some interesting info for others who may find this experience applicable to themselves.
  • dale050467
    dale050467 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    This feels just like the mono vs stereo debate!
  • RedSquadronLeader
    RedSquadronLeader Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I won't comment on the science, there are way too many sweeteners out there and some are better health-wise than others, but if you're just putting some in your coffee and not baking with it en masse all the time, I wouldn't even worry if it DID cause cancer.

That said, I can't use any artificial sweeteners at all, be they erythritol or xylitol (accepted by basically everyone as safe) to aspartame, Splenda, sucralose, whatever. The issue for me is that these remain mostly undigested (giving them their low caloric value), which means they...um...pass through me. Along with everything else. If you don't mind graphic descriptions, check the Amazon reviews for Haribo sugar free gummy bears.

Anyway, some people are much more sensitive to the laxative effect than others; hopefully you're not one of them. =)
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I use them regularly. I have changed alot of my behaviours but artificial sweetners are something I am unwilling to give up. I feel that losing weight is improving my health so I am going to risk the artificial sweetner. I use one I buy online called sweetzfree. It's really expensive but very concentrated and tastes better than anything else I've used. A couple of drops is all you need so a bottle lasts years. I buy the big one and it's about $60. Having said all that it's just Sucralose but it has no carb added liked the packaged ones do. I don't mind Aspertame but Stevia is foul tasting. If you are making something that you want to substitute AS for sugar I suggest using more than one type. You will get a sweeter taste with less AS. Don't know why they just seem to compliment each other.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    I won't comment on the science, there are way too many sweeteners out there and some are better health-wise than others, but if you're just putting some in your coffee and not baking with it en masse all the time, I wouldn't even worry if it DID cause cancer.

That said, I can't use any artificial sweeteners at all, be they erythritol or xylitol (accepted by basically everyone as safe) to aspartame, Splenda, sucralose, whatever. The issue for me is that these remain mostly undigested (giving them their low caloric value), which means they...um...pass through me. Along with everything else. If you don't mind graphic descriptions, check the Amazon reviews for Haribo sugar free gummy bears.

Anyway, some people are much more sensitive to the laxative effect than others; hopefully you're not one of them. =)

Aspartame does get digested. It has low calories because it can be used at fractions of a gram.
  • Hypsibius
    Hypsibius Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I like sugar in my coffee. I can barely stomach it plain. But it adds more calories than I'd like to see. I'm looking into artificial sweeteners and I'm finding very conflicting information about its benefits/harmful effects.
    I'm not looking for scientific data - but, rather personal experience stories.
    Have artificial sweeteners helped you, or hurt you?

I've been super happy with this liquid Stevia from Trader Joes. A couple of drops provide a sweetener I honestly like even more than sugar or spenda...
  • dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I can't find truvia or ethyrol anywhere here, so I've settled on xylitol. It does have calories, but not as much as sugar, and it also has health benefits. My dentist made me aware of it.

Natvia is erythritol... Coles and woolies have it.
    In the US, you can order it online from Amazon. Not sure about other countries though.

• dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I use them regularly. I have changed alot of my behaviours but artificial sweetners are something I am unwilling to give up. I feel that losing weight is improving my health so I am going to risk the artificial sweetner. I use one I buy online called sweetzfree. It's really expensive but very concentrated and tastes better than anything else I've used. A couple of drops is all you need so a bottle lasts years. I buy the big one and it's about $60. Having said all that it's just Sucralose but it has no carb added liked the packaged ones do. I don't mind Aspertame but Stevia is foul tasting. If you are making something that you want to substitute AS for sugar I suggest using more than one type. You will get a sweeter taste with less AS. Don't know why they just seem to compliment each other.
    I've heard that even if stevia tastes bad to you, you can desensitive yourself to it by substituting it into foods and drinks in small amounts and increasing the amount over time. I have the same problem with stevia as you do, but I thought I'd try that just to see if it worked, so I'd have more options. It seems to be working, especially in strongly-flavored foods and drinks.

Btw, stevia, erythritol, and xylitol are naturally occurring, not artificial sweeteners. They are processed, but then again so is sugar.

• starryphoenix
    starryphoenix Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    My mom tells us stories of her treating people with Splenda / sucralose related illnesses. She was once one of those people too. The stuff makes all of us feel bad.

Aspartame makes me feel sick, gives me headaches and gives me insomnia.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    My mom tells us stories of her treating people with Splenda / sucralose related illnesses. She was once one of those people too. The stuff makes all of us feel bad.

Invalid. It doesn't make me feel bad at all, and if you take the time to read through this thread you'll find that it doesn't make others feel bad either. It makes YOU feel sick, this isn't true for "all of us".
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,211 Member
    Options

I've been ingesting all different kinds of artificial sweeteners for at least 30 years. It has never made me feel bad or resulted in any noticeable side effects beyond helping me reduce calories. Making blanket statements claiming everyone is affected by something the same way it effects you isn't helpful.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options

I've been ingesting all different kinds of artificial sweeteners for at least 30 years. It has never made me feel bad or resulted in any noticeable side effects beyond helping me reduce calories. Making blanket statements claiming everyone is affected by something the same way it effects you isn't helpful.

I kind of took that to mean "our whole family" rather than "everyone." If so, it could be power of suggestion from mom's stories.

What does mom do for a living , by the way?
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I often wonder if the people who have been using artificial sweeteners every single day for umpteen years would even notice any side effects? How they feel is just their normal, what if going without them would make them feel a better normal??
  • Wynterbourne
    Options

I kind of took that to mean "our whole family" rather than "everyone." If so, it could be power of suggestion from mom's stories.

What does mom do for a living , by the way?

Noted. My brain translated it the other way. Hopefully, how you read it was how it was meant.
  • Wynterbourne
    Options
    I often wonder if the people who have been using artificial sweeteners every single day for umpteen years would even notice any side effects? How they feel is just their normal, what if going without them would make them feel a better normal??

True, that's it's "my normal", but my normal doesn't have me feeling tired, or sluggish, or achey, or painful or anything else that I see as a 'negative baseline'. I feel fine. I don't feel like I'm missing out on a "better normal." I don't feel like I'm missing out on any less 'not tired' or any less 'no pain'. If that makes sense.
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options

Sorry about the link. If anyone's interested, you can go to PubMed.gov and search: Non-caloric artificial sweeteners and the microbiome, Suez.

Microbiome research is fascinating to me, and hopefully will someday give us some insights into the metabolic issues many of us face. Until then, I'll stick to stevia and use sparingly.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24944060/
    CONCLUSIONS:

The current meta-analysis provides a rigorous evaluation of the scientific evidence on LCSs and body weight and composition. Findings from observational studies showed no association between LCS intake and body weight or fat mass and a small positive association with BMI; however, data from RCTs, which provide the highest quality of evidence for examining the potentially causal effects of LCS intake, indicate that substituting LCS options for their regular-calorie versions results in a modest weight loss and may be a useful dietary tool to improve compliance with weight loss or weight maintenance plans.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

Never used them until I started to lose weight, so I have 23 years of "no artificial sweeteners" normal. No difference at all.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,029 Member
    Options
    I never used artificial sweeteners until I set out to lose weight 4 years ago. - when I swapped regular soda for diet version.

Felt absolutely no different before and after using artificial sweeteners.
    Neither did my husband when he swapped from sugar in cups of tea to Equal sweeteners.

The only sweeteners I find affect me are the ones in sugar free lollies - not aspartame, I think it is xylitol.
    The gummy bear effect, LOL.