• SlimSumday
    SlimSumday Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    28jfm21.gif
    LOL!
  • SlimSumday
    SlimSumday Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I have found this site very helpful and (mostly) encouraging. Log everything! Read the message boards for tips and treasures and, above all, be proud of yourself that you are trying to better yourself, not only for your sake but for your children's as well. :flowerforyou:
  • goalss4nika
    goalss4nika Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Naturebeckles - do not let the sarcasm get to you or drive you away! BUT do recognize that with all the people here, there are many in similar situations to yours. Check the message boards, groups, & blogs. You will see postings like mini challenges, others wanting to lose x lbs., certain ages, etc. You will find a place to interface and find advice. One person here noted that weekends are 1/3 of the week - sounds like a brilliant observation to remember. A frequent suggestion will be to get a food scale, weigh and then log everything! Absolutely everything including exercise! Good luck - I get great support and motivation from the message board and friends I have here. Best wishes!

125421jndpxabtet.gif

This is so great :flowerforyou:
  • Laroka
    Laroka Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    All those sarcastic comments... how original. Anyway, it sounds like what you should do it balance your diet a little, and just be more active. Try riding a bike again. That might be all you need. Some people see a lot of success just from adding exercise.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    90lb in highschool, 115 in college, and exploded up to 150, and I didn't consider myself a special snowflake. I didn't cut any foods out of my diet tho, I just ate at a deficit. I was still unhappy and slightly pregnant and saggy feeling when I got slim, because when I was lighter before I was active so I was firmer. Then I started becoming more active and my muffin top went away and I was a lot happier. Then I started lifting and now I'm firmer and happier at a much heavier weight. Looking back I would blame my feelings of crappyness and not liking my body to my lifestyle, not my eating. I suggest that rather then cutting out food sources and dieting.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    ahhh.... I remember my first flaming on the board. Good times!

Welcome to MFP. Think of it as an initiation.

There are lots of people like you here. Good luck!
  • mrshoneydew
    mrshoneydew Posts: 253
    Options
    Well, I can say that your story is different than mine considering that I weighed more than you do now when I was in 6th grade. :/
    I'm not sure I understand why some people here have responded the way they have, that's not helpful or beneficial to anyone. Everyone on here has their own story and reasons for being here and though you might feel alone, you are not, and might find that there are quite a few people who identify with you.
    I might not be the best person to get advice from because I have exceeded my personal goal significantly at my current weight of 148 lbs and I am very happy about that. But that's because my average weight in High School was 240 lbs and last year I was 214 when I joined MFP. The idea of weighing 140 seemed like a unattainable fantasy to me.
    But that's just it! Everyone has their own goals and ideals and that's mine (though I do want to tighten things up now) and you have yours. I think your personal goal is very reasonable and sounds healthy and it seems like you are on the right track. I can understand why you would feel discouraged for not losing weight, but the most important part right now is that you are making healthier choices. You did say that you were doing strength training, correct? Is it possible that while your weight isn't changing, your body is (gaining muscle)? You said that you seemed to be fitting into things better which is a good sign.
    Do you also do any cardio activities? Maybe a good mixture of strength training and cardio might help.

Good luck! Hopefully you can find non judgemental friends on here who have similar goals. :happy:
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    ike_where_this_thread_is_going-vi.jpg
  • norahwynn
    norahwynn Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure why everything had to start out so negative!

I'm basically like you OP (weight and goal wise). Feel free to add me! And welcome!!
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    i think whenever someone comes in to a forum and says "ok so i'm actually different from the rest of you" it DOES sound somewhat elitist and the natural reaction from people is either "so what are you doing here" or "actually no, you aren't that special" Now add to that the very personal and difficult nature of weight and body image, and sorry but yes, a message like the one the OP posted is going to result in people "putting her in her place" so to speak.

MFP is a place where people come to get support. When someone of a healthy weight comes in and says "I'm different and I bet no one here understands me", well... lol yeah a girl like me who maxed out at 300 pounds isn't going to have as much sympathy as I would for someone of a healthy weight who says "I know I'm a healthy weight, but I'm just not happy, and I want to get fit"

Is it right? I can't say that. It is expected and pretty much basic human nature? yeah.

Well good for you that you are so miserable with yourself that you don't even TRY to sympathize with other peoples' difficulties that are different than yours. I didn't come in here saying I wasn't happy. I came in here because I'm having difficulty getting down to what I know is a healthy weight for ME. I'm not some anorexic model looking for sympathy. Now run along, troll. Don't you have somebody else to go tear down?

You came into the forum and said something that came across as elitist and "i'm a special snowflake, not like the rest of you."

You made a mistake. Own up to it. Calling everyone who took the statement that way a troll and telling them to run along just makes you look like more of an elitist special snowflake.
  • zanne54
    zanne54 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Well, there are actually quite a few similar to you... Look for them (search criteria selections) and they can help.

And people will eat you alive on these boards.... don't fret, they're just hungry!

Welcome -
    ~j

actually we are more than likely hangry or horngry.

Unless you are me and then you are just b!tchy all the time.

Take away my sarcasm and I am left with interpretive dance and that does not translate well to the internet.

OMG Like_a_T_Rex_

I just snorted water all over my desk. HILARIOUS! Can I use your line? :D
  • wifeymou1112
    wifeymou1112 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    What a great example of how to scare people away from the boards. Some people find out difficult to our themselves out there and post on these boards. So acting like a bunch of morons won't help anyone and just makes you all look pretty pathetic

THIS ^^^^^
  • CountingCaloriesSuxass
    CountingCaloriesSuxass Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    This site is full of people trying to lose 5, 10, 15, 20 pounds.

You are not special.

What if I wanna lose 7 pounds? Am I special then??
  • chantels1
    chantels1 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I get it. You don't have 100 lbs to lose. Neither do I. I am 5'4" 134 lbs which is a "normal" BMI, but I am still skinny fat. I am a pear shape, so I carry my weight low as well. I thought it was all over, until recently I realized I am losing weight in my upper half, and that's it so far. Anyway, I really want to get down to about 25% body fat which for me would be around 119 lbs. I am a small framed person, and that weight is not crazy skinny for my frame.

But like you, not having a huge amount to lose, the process takes a long time before seeing a big difference. You need a before photo, to take measurements, and don't worry so much about the scale. It really doesn't matter at this point. It's more about a shape than a number! You can be 142 lbs and have a rock hard smoking body. The difference is % of body fat vs. muscle. Have you tried heavy lifting? I bet you will get some great results from that!

Feel free to add me! More friends close to my size and goals is very helpful!
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    Well, there are actually quite a few similar to you... Look for them (search criteria selections) and they can help.

And people will eat you alive on these boards.... don't fret, they're just hungry!

Welcome -
    ~j

:laugh: loved this comment!

OP, you have alot of things in common with alot of people on here... good luck!

^this. good luck out there! :) you are your own person; no one else is you. however, your story has been told over and over. find some good role models here and then just emulate what they do.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    This site is full of people trying to lose 5, 10, 15, 20 pounds.

You are not special.

What if I wanna lose 7 pounds? Am I special then??

youre special to me no matter what!

EDITED BECAUSE MY UNDERSTANDING IS THAT THE IMAGE I POSTED OF SOMEONE EATING A POPSICLE WITH A MOUTH SUPERIMPOSED OVER THEIR EYE HAS EARNED A STRIKE BEFORE.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I don't know how tall you are, but if you were underweight before children, why are you trying to get back there?

It sounds to me like you just want to decrease your body fat percentage. There is no need to aim for a lower weight to make that happen. A high protein diet in combination with some lifting and moderate cardio should help you change your body in a way that you find desirable. If you are at a healthy weight now, that would be my focus.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I'm 3 months pregnant.

You need to go see your OB/GYN.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I'm 3 months pregnant.

You need to go see your OB/GYN.

May I recommend mine?

*RAWR*
  • sivapc
    sivapc Posts: 12
    Options

Welcome -
    ~j

This gets the prize for best comment of the day! :-)
This discussion has been closed.