My story is different than most...

Options

Replies

• seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Wow! People are being really mean to you in this thread and I have no clue why!

I have a feeling you have been on MFP encountering many people like myself who have 40+ lb they want/need to lose and people who have worked their way out of being morbidly obese and so forth. But that's not all that MFP is about...there are tons of people on here with exactly the same story as you. I'm sure you have figured that out now, from all of the very rude posts ;-)

Good luck with your goals! :-)
  • Juliejustsaying
    Juliejustsaying Posts: 2,332 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m86frdvgaL1rwcc6bo1_400.gif

okay, I love that gif.

but all that aside, there are a lot of people here in the same boat. Jump in.
  • janinelechuga
    Options
    Thank you. You just said what I was thinking :) And I enjoyed her share because I have been a life long fat person and I know my perspective. It's interesting to hear the viewpoint of a life long thin person struggling with weight issues. We are all her for support and to give support right?

47424508.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    How is your story any different than anyone else's?

Amen

Simple solution: what worked is that you rode your bike everywhere, try doing that . . .
  • hopefaithlove24
    hopefaithlove24 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    How tall are you? For someone that's only 5'2", 142 is a lot different than for someone that is 5'9".

I'm 5' 5 1/2"

I'm 5' 6" and weigh 136.5 right now and am trying to loose weight too, I look chubby, even though maybe some people look great with the same talness/weight... It's different for every person, but it seems the less weight you want to loose, the slower it goes (self experience) I'm now doing insanity workout dvd's and if I keep on that, I loose a lot faster, maybe something to look into? Also tracking calories is def important... Keep on it, you'll get there!!! Good luck , and welcome to MFP
  • rdrkc
    rdrkc Posts: 11
    Options
    I think my story is like many. I reached my goal weight. I got down to 142 and then I blew out my back at work. Got laid up and took to eating. Gained some weight. Went back to work at 165lbs. Started to feel sick and exhausted all the time, got more and more tired ended up in the hospital thinking I was having a heart attack. Turns out it was gallbladder. Had been for quite some time apparently -- subsequent liver and kidney damage. Laid up, exhausted gained weight steady. Some time later new pains making things worse. Turns out i've got cysts in my uterus. One thing after another, now I'm sitting at 207. I'm set for surgery in a few weeks for gallbladder and just on a list for hyster removal. I am trying to eat clean and nose back into some sort of exercise (walking for now). Most of the time I'm drawn out, tired and in pain, but I know that my story is not strange or exotic.

Lots of people get hurt or sick and pack on the pounds. When you decide enough is enough is about the only thing that is different from one person to the next ;)
  • xxghost
    xxghost Posts: 4,697 Member
    Options
    The sarcastic trolls can take a hike.

I like you.
  • downinaggieland98
    downinaggieland98 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I don't understand the sarcastic comments. All because she said her story is different? Is there a best story competition on MFP? All of us have different stories although the bottomline may be the same.

Welcome OP!!!!

No kidding!! Man, I hope she doesn't think everyone is that rude!!
  • fooninie
    fooninie Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    The number of rude posts here is astounding and shameful.

Everyone is entitled to believe their story is different, because it is. We might share similar goals or struggles, but our weight gain/loss history and our pasts are nothing alike. Come on...cut people some slack.

To the OP, take it one day at a time. Every healthy change is a step in the right direction.
  • Kelly_Runs_NC
    Kelly_Runs_NC Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Your story is not different than anyone elses's and no one is judging you. We are all here for the same reason. Relax and don't be so defensive. There are some great folks on here.
  • xxghost
    xxghost Posts: 4,697 Member
    Options
    Everyone is entitled to believe their story is different, because it is. We might share similar goals or struggles, but our weight gain/loss history and our pasts are nothing alike. Come on...cut people some slack.

Absolutely.
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m86frdvgaL1rwcc6bo1_400.gif

okay, I love that gif.

but all that aside, there are a lot of people here in the same boat. Jump in.

Hey. Where's my award. :pout:
  • RoninLife
    RoninLife Posts: 64
    Options
    Hi there and welcome! I'm sure you didn't mean any malice when you said your story is different than anyone else.

I do sympathize with you when people ask if you're pregnant. That happened to me too. One day I was doing some weight training in the gym and some ignorant lady came up to me and asked me how far along I was and if it's safe for a pregnant woman to lift weights.... I wanted to smack her with the dumbbell I was holding.

Anyway, just ignore the negative comments. I for one don't understand why people feel the need to put others down. I hope you aren't discouraged by it. Good Luck !!! :smile:
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    You came into the forum and said something that came across as elitist and "i'm a special snowflake, not like the rest of you."

You made a mistake. Own up to it. Calling everyone who took the statement that way a troll and telling them to run along just makes you look like more of an elitist special snowflake.

No, that's how you interpreted it possibly through the lens of your own experiences wIth people you percieve as elitist. As a mental health professional I saw it as a statement of otherness and alienation from someone who isn't sure she fits in anywhere. Nice job, people, extending a welcome to her.

And her telling those engaged in trollish behavior to take a hike didn't come across as elitist, it comes across as someone standing up for herself ... But for someone who has already decided she's elitist it adds weight to their preconception. It's called confirmation bias:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias

To those who "stood up" to this terrible newcomer in your midst, what did you gain from it?
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    You came into the forum and said something that came across as elitist and "i'm a special snowflake, not like the rest of you."

You made a mistake. Own up to it. Calling everyone who took the statement that way a troll and telling them to run along just makes you look like more of an elitist special snowflake.

No, that's how you interpreted it possibly through the lens of your own experiences wIth people you percieve as elitist. As a mental health professional I saw it as a statement of otherness and alienation from someone who isn't sure she fits in anywhere. Nice job, people, extending a welcome to her.

And her telling those engaged in trollish behavior to take a hike didn't come across as elitist, it comes across as someone standing up for herself ... But for someone who has already decided she's elitist it adds weight to their preconception. It's called confirmation bias:

To those who "stood up" to this terrible newcomer in your midst, what did you gain from it?

snowflake.gif
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

I didn't say anything about how I personally interpreted it.

The responses make it clear that a large portion of the people reading the post interpreted it that way.

Was that correct? Maybe, maybe not. However, if a large portion of your audience hears you say something you didn't intend to say, the error is not with the audience.

As a "mental health professional" (what does that even mean?) I'd expect you to understand that the message received is the message sent.

By the way, how can I have confirmation bias about a person I've literally never heard of? I'm not sure you quite understand your own post.
  • melmckay99
    melmckay99 Posts: 358
    Options
    Don't let the negativity get to you. There are lots of really AWESOME people on MFP, unfortunately it's the ones with the snarky remarks that like to reply to posts the most.

In any case, I think we have pretty similar stats. I am 5'5" and 1/2, started at about 142 lbs, and am now down to 120 lbs. I lost weight mostly by diet, but exercise helped a lot too to get rid of the flab. Feel free to add me is you are looking for more MFP friends!
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    And her telling those engaged in trollish behavior to take a hike didn't come across as elitist, it comes across as someone standing up for herself

Just to clarify, an internet troll is someone who says something, usually offensive, in order to get a rise out of someone else just for the pleasure of it. It's not just someone who disagrees with someone else and speaks up about it in a blunt manner. The person she called a troll (me) didn't say anything trollish. So, the way I see it, the "troll" thing was just name-calling.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options

snowflake.gif

Yeah, that's not trollish behavior at all. :)

You people are real pieces of work.
  • MRSHHJONES
    MRSHHJONES Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I have to apologize for the people who have posted rude comments! Please think nothing of them! They are not the majority on this web site by any means!!! I think your goal is reasonable and attainable! You can do this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This discussion has been closed.