Thoughts on eating all organic

Options
1234568»

Replies

• cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options

So maybe I'm wasting my money but it does seem like my organic food spoils much faster than non organic. And I think there is a placebo effect in that I feel like its better for me:)

ETA - I always make spelling and typo's.

Actually there are two different brands of organic milk I occasionally buy. One is not homogenized and is only pasteurized enough to keep it safe. It has an awesome flavor. The other i buy when I know I'm not going to be able to get back to the store for a while. It's ultra pasteurized and shelf stable and lasts for a long time.

The stuff I usually buy because of price is someplace between the two for how long I can keep it before it sours and becomes chicken food.

It's not organic/non organic, but the individual products.
  • cmtigger
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    I could never afford to eat all organic food. The closest i get is free range eggs (i refuse to buy cage eggs) and chicken.

I make sure my eggs and chicken are organic / cage free. The beef is grass fed. The fish are wild and NEVER farmed. Veggies, whatever is cheaper. The difference is in the protein. I could afford to buy all organic always, but why limit myself to whats available?

I've been working on incorporating fish 4-5 times a week into my diet and the EWG recommends farmed fish for several species. What types of fish do you eat? I'm very new to the whole fish thing so still learning :)
    Someone already posted this, but the EWG is a bit of a scare organization. This is a much better guide.

http://www.seafoodwatch.org

I raise and sell eggs myself. They go for $5 a dozen here, but eggs in stores are more expensive here due to state regulations.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I grew my own tomatoes once and I didn't notice a big difference to storebought, apart from the fact that eating a body temperature tomato straight from the plant felt weird.
    tomteboda wrote: »
    stealthq wrote: »
    Orphia wrote: »
    It makes me chuckle when I see people say organic tastes better.

I've seen at least three videos where lots of people have been tested tasting two different fruits, one organic one regular, and the probability they get it right is no better than chance.

In general you're right, but there actually is one food that has been demonstrated (scientifically) to have lost most of its flavor in modern agricultural practices due to the needs of mass production and stability for long-range transport: the tomato.

Yes, the delicious, beautiful tomato of 2017 does not taste anything like the delicious, beautiful tomato of 1957, or even 1987. At the moment the only real recourse is to grow your own or purchase organic heirloom tomatoes from a very honest farmer.

However, grocery store tomatoes should soon taste a lot better.
    Better-Tasting Grocery Store Tomatoes Could Soon Be on Their Way (2015 American Chemical Society symposium talk)

Flavor Facelift for Supermarket Tomatoes (2017 news brief, American Chemical Society)

A Chemical Genetic Roadmap to Improved Tomato Flavor (2017 Science )

No kidding. I'm a tomato aficionado and even the heirlooms I can get at the farmer's market are 'meh'. They grow the sweeter, milder varieties and I like a lot of bold tomato flavor and a good kick of acidity.

This year I'm growing a couple of varieties myself, just to see if I can get better flavor.

I grow my own tomatoes, too. Not all varieties you can grow at home are very good. The popular "Big Boy" and "Early Girl" are flavorless in the extreme, for example.

Tomatoes like to be babied. They are more work than my roses. I understand completely why they've been cultivated for hardiness and transport stability.

Ironically, of all the vegetable growing endeavors I did so far, my tomatoes were the only ones successful. But since I've got a garden now, I can expand the scope. Potatoes, peas, spinach and strawberries this year.
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I try not to eat processed foods. Just because something has a label that says organic doesn't mean it is healthy. I make it a point to buy certain things organic like citrus if I use the peel and celery. I make it a habit to buy whole as much as possible and limit extra unwanted ingredients like preservatives and flavoring and coloring agents. My garden is 'organic' and I control fire ants with red pepper flakes, cinnamon, mint, and citrus peel.
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    We eat largely organic but only because no one in this town will pay full price for it and I stalk the section until they reduce price on everything. Then it's cheaper than non-organic ;)
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options

I've seen at least three videos where lots of people have been tested tasting two different fruits, one organic one regular, and the probability they get it right is no better than chance.

In general you're right, but there actually is one food that has been demonstrated (scientifically) to have lost most of its flavor in modern agricultural practices due to the needs of mass production and stability for long-range transport: the tomato.

Yes, the delicious, beautiful tomato of 2017 does not taste anything like the delicious, beautiful tomato of 1957, or even 1987. At the moment the only real recourse is to grow your own or purchase organic heirloom tomatoes from a very honest farmer.

Better-Tasting Grocery Store Tomatoes Could Soon Be on Their Way (2015 American Chemical Society symposium talk)

Flavor Facelift for Supermarket Tomatoes (2017 news brief, American Chemical Society)

No kidding. I'm a tomato aficionado and even the heirlooms I can get at the farmer's market are 'meh'. They grow the sweeter, milder varieties and I like a lot of bold tomato flavor and a good kick of acidity.

This year I'm growing a couple of varieties myself, just to see if I can get better flavor.

I grow my own tomatoes, too. Not all varieties you can grow at home are very good. The popular "Big Boy" and "Early Girl" are flavorless in the extreme, for example.

Tomatoes like to be babied. They are more work than my roses. I understand completely why they've been cultivated for hardiness and transport stability.

Don't I know it. Those two and "Celebrity" are sold here a lot because they're some of the few that'll set fruit before it gets too hot.

I'm being dumb and stubborn and trying one of the "Brandywine" varieties. Historically, a terrible producer in Dallas. I'll be lucky to get a couple of tomatoes off of it. Got one set so far, and a handful of flowers that have an opportunity while it's not 80+ all day and night. We'll see if I can get any to ripe without losing them to bugs, birds, or my poor gardening practices.

I'm also being a bit smarter and growing a cherry variety that should produce well - "Frosted Green Doctor's".

I have seeds for probably 15 other varieties (gifts), but don't have the prepped sunny space for more than two tomato plants plus the eggplants I really wanted to try this year :smiley:
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    cbelc2 wrote: »
    I try not to eat processed foods. Just because something has a label that says organic doesn't mean it is healthy. I make it a point to buy certain things organic like citrus if I use the peel and celery. I make it a habit to buy whole as much as possible and limit extra unwanted ingredients like preservatives and flavoring and coloring agents. My garden is 'organic' and I control fire ants with red pepper flakes, cinnamon, mint, and citrus peel.

If it has ingredients, isn't it processed?
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    ccsernica wrote: »

I was thinking about this, I read an article/watched a doco about how the reason people in their 50s and 60s today complain that a particular favourite meal doesn't taste the way it did when their mum made it, is because the ingredients have been bred to taste very different. The example they used was chicken and noodles, and they talked about how breeding chickens for size has completely changed the way they taste. I wish I could remember more, but it's just a random brain-snippet bobbing around.
    On the face of it, I have to say this doesn't sound terribly plausible. People's tastes change as they age. I eat and enjoy many foods now that I would have hated as a child. And then there are the rose-colored glasses of nostalgia affecting our recall.

For example, back around 1990 or so I knew a San Francisco native in his mid-50s who insisted that sourdough bread had gotten notably less sour since he was young. This was demonstrably false. There's only so sour you can make sourdough, as the taste comes from waste products of yeast and after a certain point the yeast just stops growing. There was no convincing him of that, though.

I think there's some truth, some nostalgia, depends on the specifics. My parents, for example, grew up eating older truly free-range chickens they had raised. The chickens ate mostly what they could forage and some feed supplement. Only ones that quit producing were ever eaten. Age of the bird and of course amount of exercise and the bird's diet definitely changes the taste so that makes sense in their case.

The sourdough thing definitely seems like nostalgia. And boy, do I wish I could get my hands on some of that 'substandard' sourdough. The stuff that passes for sourdough here barely tastes different than sandwich bread.

It's possible to fake sourdough with vinegar, as I understand it. No respectable baker does that. There's one bakery in my town that doesn't even use starter. Their sourdough is made with naturally occurring wild yeast. (This is Santa Cruz, not San Francisco, but folks feel pretty much the same way down here on such matters.)
  • cmtigger
    Options

I was thinking about this, I read an article/watched a doco about how the reason people in their 50s and 60s today complain that a particular favourite meal doesn't taste the way it did when their mum made it, is because the ingredients have been bred to taste very different. The example they used was chicken and noodles, and they talked about how breeding chickens for size has completely changed the way they taste. I wish I could remember more, but it's just a random brain-snippet bobbing around.
    On the face of it, I have to say this doesn't sound terribly plausible. People's tastes change as they age. I eat and enjoy many foods now that I would have hated as a child. And then there are the rose-colored glasses of nostalgia affecting our recall.

For example, back around 1990 or so I knew a San Francisco native in his mid-50s who insisted that sourdough bread had gotten notably less sour since he was young. This was demonstrably false. There's only so sour you can make sourdough, as the taste comes from waste products of yeast and after a certain point the yeast just stops growing. There was no convincing him of that, though.

I think there's some truth, some nostalgia, depends on the specifics. My parents, for example, grew up eating older truly free-range chickens they had raised. The chickens ate mostly what they could forage and some feed supplement. Only ones that quit producing were ever eaten. Age of the bird and of course amount of exercise and the bird's diet definitely changes the taste so that makes sense in their case.

The sourdough thing definitely seems like nostalgia. And boy, do I wish I could get my hands on some of that 'substandard' sourdough. The stuff that passes for sourdough here barely tastes different than sandwich bread.

It's possible to fake sourdough with vinegar, as I understand it. No respectable baker does that. There's one bakery in my town that doesn't even use starter. Their sourdough is made with naturally occurring wild yeast. (This is Santa Cruz, not San Francisco, but folks feel pretty much the same way down here on such matters.)

After moving from northern CA to Kansas 20 years ago I saw what passes as sourdough in other parts of the country. It may have changed now, but real sourdough was one of the foods I missed. (I also missed California cheese and the freshness of our produce.)
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options

I found the article I was thinking of, with some creative Googling. Not saying I believe it, but it's an interesting theory:

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/food/eat/why-everything-now-tastes-like-chicken-except-chicken/news-story/4c7421d81e15a91e5bdd65211ae4f069
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options

Actually, the sourdough thing is perfectly possible. Your argument that "there's only so sour you can make it" is true, BUT you don't have to make it that sour, and I would totally bleieve that there has been a recent trend to stop the dough fermenting beofre it reaches "peak sour." Because we make our own bread and so I know it can get REALLY sour.

I suspect there's a different thing going on though. Food has also gotten WAY more sweet. WAY WAY more sweet. Everything has sugar in it, and not just the sugars you need to feed your yeast. I'm now finding "Plain" yogurts that are sweetened, presumably to do exactly what "Mr. Sourdough" was talking about - take the edge off the sour flavor.

Meat has changed, even since I started cooking in the early 90s, let alone since I was a kid. Until fairly recently, most beef wasn't feedlot-stuffed, most pork was raised on small farms, and the animals had been bred for a different fat and flavor profile.

Add to that the current trend towards injecting meat with brine or water, and if you're a certain age, the meat you grew up on was simply *different.* One way you can see this is that older recipes sometimes don't work right anymore. Try to "brown" some cuts of meat and the just steam and turn grey. One of the reasons I buy meat from my local farmers is that I can make some of those older family dishes and have them turn out right, and taste better (to my taste buds, anyway; if you grew up with the changed meat raising and handling practices then the stuff in stores has become the "new normal").
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    savithny wrote: »

Actually, the sourdough thing is perfectly possible. Your argument that "there's only so sour you can make it" is true, BUT you don't have to make it that sour, and I would totally bleieve that there has been a recent trend to stop the dough fermenting beofre it reaches "peak sour." Because we make our own bread and so I know it can get REALLY sour.

I suspect there's a different thing going on though. Food has also gotten WAY more sweet. WAY WAY more sweet. Everything has sugar in it, and not just the sugars you need to feed your yeast. I'm now finding "Plain" yogurts that are sweetened, presumably to do exactly what "Mr. Sourdough" was talking about - take the edge off the sour flavor.

Meat has changed, even since I started cooking in the early 90s, let alone since I was a kid. Until fairly recently, most beef wasn't feedlot-stuffed, most pork was raised on small farms, and the animals had been bred for a different fat and flavor profile.

Add to that the current trend towards injecting meat with brine or water, and if you're a certain age, the meat you grew up on was simply *different.* One way you can see this is that older recipes sometimes don't work right anymore. Try to "brown" some cuts of meat and the just steam and turn grey. One of the reasons I buy meat from my local farmers is that I can make some of those older family dishes and have them turn out right, and taste better (to my taste buds, anyway; if you grew up with the changed meat raising and handling practices then the stuff in stores has become the "new normal").

I'm talking about relatively small local based bakeries here for the most part, not large national brands. No San Franciscan would expect good sourdough from the latter. While I suppose there must be some accommodation for local tastes, in the SF Bay Area people expect their sourdough to be sour. Such bread doesn't list sugar as an ingredient.

You're right, though, that foods are sweeter in general. I think the real problem with HFCS isn't that it's especially poisonous -- it has roughly the same proportion of fructose and glucose as cane sugar -- but that it's so, so many packaged foods. Even foods that people don't expect are sweetened. This does include many commercially produced breads.

You might have a point about the chicken varieties, although I have to say it doesn't taste strikingly different to me. But then, I (and I expect, most people on this board) haven't experienced "supermarket" chicken from before the time @Alatariel75 's article describes. And I certainly haven't had your experience with browning meat.

So on balance, it's probably a combination of things.