Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Full fat VS low fat

Options

Replies

• Stockholm_Andy
    Stockholm_Andy Posts: 803 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    gymzonian wrote: »
    I prefer full fat products. Things like mayonnaise, cottage cheese, peanut butter, sour cream, and so on. Why? Low fat products has to compensate for the reduced "low fat" content by increasing sugar. Companies do this so their products doesn't taste bad. https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/howto/guide/truth-about-low-fat-foods

Low fat dairy doesn't generally have added sugar..

The link posted doesn't refer to dairy. I know most of the posts above do. EDIT: I just realized that the poster of the link spoke about dairy too.

It talks about low fat biscuits (cookies) having more sugar a standard version so the overall calories remain close.

So McVitie's Light Digestive Biscuits promote that they are 30% less fat but are only 5 Kcal per biscuit less in calories than standard McVitie's Digestive Biscuits. (Per 100g Sugar goes from 16.6g to 20.2g)

IMHO if you're munching through half a packet of "light" biscuits and expecting to loose weight you need to start reading labels.

• Stockholm_Andy
    Options
    Using the example of Mayonnaise. Helmann's light Mayo has only about 40% of the calories of their standard version. (per 100g sugar goes from 1.3g to 2.3g)

• mortuseon_
    mortuseon_ Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    psuLemon wrote: »
    zyxst wrote: »
    I want to say this: I would not let anyone in this thread cook my burgers/steaks.

Thanks a shame, because I am a fantastic cook and you'd be missing out. If you want me to go against my religion and overcook a burger passed medium rare, I can close my eyes like I do for my MIL.

Sorry, no. I don't eat raw or partially raw meat.

I haven't eaten a burger less than well done since I read 'Toxin' by Robin Cook. ::noway::

Steaks I can do, but not ground meat. Even when I grind the meat myself I still get weirded out.

Yeah, but then if you have your meat well-done/chargrilled, you have Trp-P-1 and cancers to worry about...you just can't win ;)
  • mortuseon_
    mortuseon_ Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    @amusedmonkey our gym calls those trap bars.
  • Stockholm_Andy
    Options
    Using the example of Mayonnaise. Helmann's light Mayo has only about 40% of the calories of their standard version. (per 100g sugar goes from 1.3g to 2.3g)

I really REALLY wish to know how that makes a difference. If you go for broke and eat 100 grams of mayo (most people wouldn't), how would one gram of extra sugar affect anything? Even for diabetics this would be pretty negligible and eating a fraction of a gram extra sugar (which by the way is not always extra, but simply a result of changing ratios) is well worth it for the gained calorie reduction - taste is a different matter.

ETA: unrelated, but what is the kind of bar used in your picture called?

I think you misunderstand me AM. I don't think it makes a difference at all. I think its COMPLETELY negligible in that case. I looked up the biscuits to see if what the article said held true and it sort of did. I looked up the Mayo as Gymzonian flagged it as an example and I didn't think it was a good one.

It's a trap bar (sometimes called a hexbar) I'm holding. Neat piece of kit which I really like for deadlifts.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options

I really REALLY wish to know how that makes a difference. If you go for broke and eat 100 grams of mayo (most people wouldn't), how would one gram of extra sugar affect anything? Even for diabetics this would be pretty negligible and eating a fraction of a gram extra sugar (which by the way is not always extra, but simply a result of changing ratios) is well worth it for the gained calorie reduction - taste is a different matter.

ETA: unrelated, but what is the kind of bar used in your picture called?

I think you misunderstand me AM. I don't think it makes a difference at all. I think its COMPLETELY negligible in that case. I looked up the biscuits to see if what the article said held true and it sort of did. I looked up the Mayo as Gymzonian flagged it as an example and I didn't think it was a good one.

It's a trap bar (sometimes called a hexbar) I'm holding. Neat piece of kit which I really like for deadlifts.

Ah yes, I did misunderstand you and I agree with you.

A trap bar eh? Thank you (and @mortuseon_). I'm more fascinated than I should be given than I don't lift. I think the design is brilliant. [/end_derail].
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    CodysKeto wrote: »
    Everything effects everybody differently so I have heard. I choose full fat :)

Individual foods have little impact outside of preference and if at large enough volumes, it could impact satiety. But really, there are no unhealthy foods, just unhealthy diets.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    gymzonian wrote: »
    I prefer full fat products. Things like mayonnaise, cottage cheese, peanut butter, sour cream, and so on. Why? Low fat products has to compensate for the reduced "low fat" content by increasing sugar. Companies do this so their products doesn't taste bad. https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/howto/guide/truth-about-low-fat-foods

Low fat dairy doesn't generally have added sugar..

The link posted doesn't refer to dairy. I know most of the posts above do. EDIT: I just realized that the poster of the link spoke about dairy too.

Exactly, the poster specifically mentioned cottage cheese, and it's not accurate. I wish people would stop spreading silly lies about low fat dairy.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options

..and neither have enough sugar to put >0g/serving on the label.
  • Stockholm_Andy
    Options
    ritzvin wrote: »

..and neither have enough sugar to put >0g/serving on the label.

Yes exactly. The difference is tiny especially when a serving is a table spoons worth.
  • carolyn000000
    carolyn000000 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I'd like to see food companies labeling full fat and what kind of fat instead of low fat. I recently set my macros to higher fat and lower carbohydrate, and it has jump started my weight loss.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I'd like to see food companies labeling full fat and what kind of fat instead of low fat. I recently set my macros to higher fat and lower carbohydrate, and it has jump started my weight loss.

What country are you in? In US, the labels normally list the amounts of fat, saturated fat, trans fat at least. Full fat dairy won't say "low fat" or "2%' or "1%" on the front, and cottage cheese, at least, will usually specify the "4%" on the full fat.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

They do indicate if they are full fat, well dairy does, and that's the only place it's relevant. Ground meat will say what the fat percentage is. As for type of fat, you have to know what type of fat is in whatever it is.
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    I generally prefer full-fat to non-fat, but I'll take low-fat over both. Tends to have a good balance of richness and lower calories. But it's definitely important to read labels.
  • raleighgirl09
    raleighgirl09 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Full fat olive oil salad dressing, full fat cheese, half and half, non-fat Greek yogurt, avocados, mostly lean meat in small portions and Buffalo wings with full fat bleu cheese dressing on occasion. I eat to satisfy my eyes, my stomach, my calorie count and my sanity - because it's a long journey and I don't want to be discouraged on any of those fronts.
  • lpina2mi
    lpina2mi Posts: 425 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Bex953172 wrote: »
    Which do you think is better in your diet?
    And why?

My starting point is with whole foods and organic foods, because I believe they are more nutritious and contain less environmental and processing toxins.

Yoghurt seems to be my exception. I find it easy to find ways to eat good fat (nuts & avocados are favorites of mine), but I find it difficult to eat enough protein. I'm an omnivore-meat light and I just don't eat enough volume of veg protein food combos to satisfy minimums. Hence, plain unsweetened 0% fat yoghurt is an easy way for me to boost protein and stay within my kcal range.

I have tried protein powders, but the frankenfoodness of it made me uncomfortable; I did not feel healthier or stronger; I wondered whether it was contributing to my plateaus.

My daily kcal range is not otherwise fat-avoidance--rather it welcomes fat in a central role. I use real butter, prefer raw cheese, use whole unhomogenized milk when making dairy selections. When I eat eggs, I use the whole egg. When I eat meat or fowl, I enjoy it more with excess fat trimmed (the leaner and rarer the better). On the other hand, I keep the skin on poultry (truly enjoy eating crispy skin). I use olive oil liberally when I cook. When I cook beans coating them in a few tablespoons of olive is key to many preparations.

off topic: My favorite way to have beans is savory and atop shredded or cut lightly sauteed dark greens.

I do not often bake, because I do not have sweet tooth, when I have made a chocolate something coconut oil is often an ingredient. Sometines I get the hanger for carbs, such as oatmeal or pancakes, so I incorporate a little coconut oil, as a way to moderate the glycemic load. Likewise, when I have that infrequent dessert, I will choose one with fat--so its pie over cake; gelato over cookies. I know that I have blown my kcal count for day, but moderating the sugar glycemic load is more important for me. I also will not save kcal throughout the day for dessert , because I will not get enough nutrients.

On the otherhand, I may shave kcal off breakfast, lunch, snack, if I have dinner plans, so I can enjoy more delicious and nutrious food with other folks around the table.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    I drink skim milk. It doesn't taste like chalk water; it tastes like milk. Whole milk tastes like drinking cream. Yuck! Because it's all a matter of what you're used to. Whatever you usually drink, you'll like best and the rest will all taste wrong.

I don't drink skim milk because it has lower calories (though that's a nice bonus) or because I'm trying to keep my fat intake low. I drink skim milk because every other kind gives me nasty digestive issues - as do many other animal fats. I actually work really hard to incorporate enough fat into my diet. And if I have a glass of skim milk reasonably close to my breakfast of almond butter on toast, I still get the "fat helps the body absorb vitamins" effect.

So, I don't think either option is objectively better. I'm in the "use whichever you prefer and fits your diet" camp.
  • caliallie2
    caliallie2 Posts: 19 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    @Hearts 2015, Fage yogurt is awesome and it comes in full fat, low fat and fat free last I checked. Also if anyone does use low fat products and it's always an option, make sure that the fat has not been replaced with fillers. Yes on some products when the fat is reduced the sugar content goes up but not always substantially. If you are watching your total calories and full fat has higher calories, the option is always to eat less of a full fat then a low fat product. It all depends on what kind of diet plan your following. High fat, high protein eaters...well yeah, but low fat dieters if you have to choose where to get your fat, I agree, Id rather get my fat calories from nuts and seeds and avocadoes than from dairy saturated fats.
  • WendyLeigh1119
    WendyLeigh1119 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Depends on what it is. I've always believed in using full fat, salted butter (fake butter? Why bother?) Full fat cheese? Absolutely. Full fat ice cream? Absolutely. I still use them regularly while dieting.

The only exception is that I drink TONS of milk and full fat milk is 180 calories per serving, while the 0% organic is 80 per serving. I would have to limit my dairy if I drank full fat milk and dairy is my primary source of protein (along with beans and such) since I don't like meats. So I only limit fat if the calories are substantially higher in an item that I don't think "needs" to be full fat.