Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Full fat VS low fat

Options

Replies

• KrazyKrissyy
    KrazyKrissyy Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Low fat diet for me. Granted, I personally enjoy dietary fats from past experience, that ship has sailed now. Have been put on a low fat diet for medical purposes. No more than 30-40 grams a day (gastroparesis).
  • Corey1949
    Corey1949 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    An eye opener for me was reading "The Big FAT Surprise" by Nina Teicholz. After nine years of investigation, she reveals "the unthinkable: everything we've been told about fat is wrong." According to her research, ever since the government adopted the low fat, high carbohydrate recommendations, obesity and type 2 diabetes have increased steadily along with sugar consumption to where the average sugar consumption in America is well over 150# per year. Personally, since I have adopted a low carb (<30 grams a day) high fat and moderate protein I have lost 13 pounds in 6 weeks and have dropped my blood sugar levels to almost normal and have been taken off my diabetic meds. Other biomarkers have improved, too. There is a lot of evidenced-based information available on www.dietdoctor.com, also.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Corey1949 wrote: »
    An eye opener for me was reading "The Big FAT Surprise" by Nina Teicholz. After nine years of investigation, she reveals "the unthinkable: everything we've been told about fat is wrong." According to her research, ever since the government adopted the low fat, high carbohydrate recommendations, obesity and type 2 diabetes have increased steadily along with sugar consumption to where the average sugar consumption in America is well over 150# per year. Personally, since I have adopted a low carb (<30 grams a day) high fat and moderate protein I have lost 13 pounds in 6 weeks and have dropped my blood sugar levels to almost normal and have been taken off my diabetic meds. Other biomarkers have improved, too. There is a lot of evidenced-based information available on www.dietdoctor.com, also.

Please read further back in this thread.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    psuLemon wrote: »
    zyxst wrote: »
    I want to say this: I would not let anyone in this thread cook my burgers/steaks.

Thanks a shame, because I am a fantastic cook and you'd be missing out. If you want me to go against my religion and overcook a burger passed medium rare, I can close my eyes like I do for my MIL.

Sorry, no. I don't eat raw or partially raw meat.

I haven't eaten a burger less than well done since I read 'Toxin' by Robin Cook. ::noway::

Steaks I can do, but not ground meat. Even when I grind the meat myself I still get weirded out.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I don't have a gallbladder and have a hard time processing fat, so while full fat is definitely yummier it's not something I can have. I do occasionally risk a full fat yoghurt or fattier meat but it normally leads to a lot of pain and extended visit to the toilet.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I read this thread a while ago but forget most of it :) Just thought I'd weigh in. Fat doesn't satiate me and tends to give me heartburn. I have familial hypercholesterolemia and need to keep a low fat, low cholesterol diet to control it.

At any rate, the most satiating diet for me involves plenty of protein, starch, and fiber. That leaves little room for fat, and that is fine by me. I do supplement EFA's with a vegan supplement because my normal dietary intake is so low (usually around 20-25 grams or so of fat a day).

I'm not a big cheese eater, but I do eat a lot of yogurt and cottage cheese. The low fat varieties of those taste pretty much the same to me as their fattier versions.

When I eat eggs, I eat 1 whole egg supplemented with extra whites.

• EthanPierre
    EthanPierre Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    The one rule I was taught in my weight loss journey from Dr. Mark Hyman was "Fat don't make you fat, sugar makes you fat."
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    The one rule I was taught in my weight loss journey from Dr. Mark Hyman was "Fat don't make you fat, sugar makes you fat."

It's neither or both in and of themselves.

It's excess calories.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

It's neither or both in and of themselves.

It's excess calories.

Exactly.

And the low vs. high fat question comes down to what you like, goals, macros, and what else you eat. Fage 2% tastes as good to me as Fage total, has fewer calories, more protein, same carbs. Eating Fage 2% thus gives me more room for cheese.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options

And he would be wrong. Arguing one dogma with another is poor advice. Calories make us fat.
  • EthanPierre
    Options
    So, if I'm on a weight loss regimen of exercise and 1,700 calories a day and I eat 2,700 calories of just lean protein and green vegetables while leaving out anything with processed sugar I'm going to get fat? My point is processed sugar is bad for our bodies and there's no denying that fact.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    So, if I'm on a weight loss regimen of exercise and 1,700 calories a day and I eat 2,700 calories of just lean protein and green vegetables while leaving out anything with processed sugar I'm going to get fat? My point is processed sugar is bad for our bodies and there's no denying that fact.

If 2700 is over your maintenance calories and you do it repeatedly, then yes, you'll get fat. What's that got to do with processed sugar?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    So, if I'm on a weight loss regimen of exercise and 1,700 calories a day and I eat 2,700 calories of just lean protein and green vegetables while leaving out anything with processed sugar I'm going to get fat?

Is your maintenance below or above 2700 -- that's the question. The reason people are generally not going to "get fat" on a diet of only lean meat and green vegetables (interesting that you are picking a diet that is extremely low fat here) is that it's HARD for most people to eat above their maintenance calories on that, unless you start including butter and oil to cook with, less lean meats, starchier veg, sauces, etc. Not impossible, I'm sure some could. But most likely would not be able to do so. What they might find is that they miss more variety and so are more likely to have a high cal day because they go off plan, figure they blew it anyway, since they had a cookie or a potato or some cheese or whatever, and since the day/diet is ruined anyway, go nuts. You have to figure out if this is going to be a bigger issue or if controlling calories on a more indulgent/varied/flexible diet would be, I suppose.
    My point is processed sugar is bad for our bodies and there's no denying that fact.

The two statements have nothing to do with each other. Nor do they seem to have much to do with high fat vs. low fat. Again, classic example of high fat vs. low fat is dairy. No "processed" sugar is even involved.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Also, whether or not sugar is good for you is based on context, not different than SFA and other things. Its not bad if you aren't esting too much of it and its not crowding out other more important nutrients, such as protein. Overall, it should be limited so you can get more important nutrients but some added sugar can be beneficial for you, especially if you need quick energy or for enjoyment which is also an important part of weight loss.
  • EthanPierre
    Options
    Thank you @psuLemon @lemurcat12 @livingleanlivingclean for setting me straight.
  • CodysKeto
    CodysKeto Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Everything effects everybody differently so I have heard. I choose full fat :)
  • gymzonian
    gymzonian Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I prefer full fat products. Things like mayonnaise, cottage cheese, peanut butter, sour cream, and so on. Why? Low fat products has to compensate for the reduced "low fat" content by increasing sugar. Companies do this so their products doesn't taste bad. https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/howto/guide/truth-about-low-fat-foods
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    gymzonian wrote: »
    I prefer full fat products. Things like mayonnaise, cottage cheese, peanut butter, sour cream, and so on. Why? Low fat products has to compensate for the reduced "low fat" content by increasing sugar. Companies do this so their products doesn't taste bad. https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/howto/guide/truth-about-low-fat-foods

Low fat dairy doesn't generally have added sugar..