Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Full fat VS low fat

Options

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Bex953172 wrote: »
    sijomial wrote: »
    I have done a great deal of personal research on this topic and definitely have an opinion, which can be substantiated by numerous scientific research. Fat in your diet is essential for energy, healthy tissue, controlling inflammation, absorption of fat soluble vitamins (A, D, E, & K), and regulation of many hormones. It can even help with weight loss, by providing enough calories and energy to keep you feeling satiated and your energy levels even.

The trick is to eat the right kind of fat, which is mainly plant based, from nuts, seeds, avocados. In addition to plant based polyunsaturated fats, fats found in fish like salmon, tuna, and sardines contain essential fatty acids, omega-3 and omega-6 that help reduce heart disease. Vegetable based fats help with insulin resistance and body inflammation, which contributes to multiple chronic diseases.

Fats from animal sources are called saturated fats and are okay in moderation. You get these from beef, cheese, ice cream, and eggs.

Trans fats are found in processed foods and should be avoided at all costs. Cookies, cakes, and fast food contain trans fats. If it comes in a box, it has trans fats most likely and is artificially created! Additionally, "low fat" foods are often created with increased sugar and other processed items like refined substances (flour, starch). They do this to make the "low fat" taste good, but end up jacking up our blood sugar, spiking our insulin levels and even causing weight GAIN!

So, I personally, so not eat anything "low-fat". It is better to choose half and half for your coffee than processed, sugary creamers. To me, "low-fat" equals high sugar, high insulin body spikes, low nutritionally value, and possible weight gain.

I hope this helps!

What a totally ridiculous series of exaggerations and hyperbole!

OP - read the labels of foods when you select them.
    In the UK it's actually rare to find artificial transfats in foods.

The fat goal is really a minimum not a maximum, fat in suitable amounts is a good thing and can't make you fat unless you are in a calorie surplus.

Yeah I'm pretty sure we don't really get transfats in the uk, but she didn't know that I lived in the U.K. before posting..
    Is it different in the US?

No. I am in the US. I just checked all the boxed items in my pantry and none of them had trans fat. That statement isn't based on fact.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Which do you think is better in your diet?
    And why?

Neither is better or worse for your diet. I prefer skim milk because I find it more refreshing and I like the little bit of extra protein it gives over full fat milk. Cottage cheese is usually 2%, yogurt is non-fat, cheese is full fat.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    I eat low or no fat yogurt, its not got any added sugar. I rarely eat it by itself though, I add yogurt to some foods or serve it with berries, nuts, something to add taste. Reading food labels is good, it lets me know whether a low fat yogurt has added sugar or not.

I eat eggs, avocado and cheeses. So I guess the only intentional low fat product I eat is the yogurt. Sometimes I buy full fat yogurt if I am in that sort of mood too, I have only a few rules about the variety of foods I eat.
  • Traveler120
    Traveler120 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Low fat = more plates of food (for the same calories) and is healthier for me. My cholesterol shoots up when I eat high fat.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    It depends, if I'm low on fats for the day I'll opt for butter or oil... if not I'll use icbinb light. It really depends on the day
  • Lefty1290
    Lefty1290 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Full fat because low fat is usually more processed and full fat keeps me full and helps with my health issues.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I personally cut fat (not below essential levels) when I am losing weight. I am a volume eater and I can eat a ton more bulk when I decrease fats. I still work in some fats to ensure adequate hormonal balance, but just not super high. And when I work back to maintenance, I increase fats.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    I have done a great deal of personal research on this topic and definitely have an opinion, which can be substantiated by numerous scientific research. Fat in your diet is essential for energy, healthy tissue, controlling inflammation, absorption of fat soluble vitamins (A, D, E, & K), and regulation of many hormones. It can even help with weight loss, by providing enough calories and energy to keep you feeling satiated and your energy levels even.

The trick is to eat the right kind of fat, which is mainly plant based, from nuts, seeds, avocados. In addition to plant based polyunsaturated fats, fats found in fish like salmon, tuna, and sardines contain essential fatty acids, omega-3 and omega-6 that help reduce heart disease. Vegetable based fats help with insulin resistance and body inflammation, which contributes to multiple chronic diseases.

Fats from animal sources are called saturated fats and are okay in moderation. You get these from beef, cheese, ice cream, and eggs.

Trans fats are found in processed foods and should be avoided at all costs. Cookies, cakes, and fast food contain trans fats. If it comes in a box, it has trans fats most likely and is artificially created! Additionally, "low fat" foods are often created with increased sugar and other processed items like refined substances (flour, starch). They do this to make the "low fat" taste good, but end up jacking up our blood sugar, spiking our insulin levels and even causing weight GAIN!

So, I personally, so not eat anything "low-fat". It is better to choose half and half for your coffee than processed, sugary creamers. To me, "low-fat" equals high sugar, high insulin body spikes, low nutritionally value, and possible weight gain.

I hope this helps!

What a totally ridiculous series of exaggerations and hyperbole!

OP - read the labels of foods when you select them.
    In the UK it's actually rare to find artificial transfats in foods.

The fat goal is really a minimum not a maximum, fat in suitable amounts is a good thing and can't make you fat unless you are in a calorie surplus.

Yeah I'm pretty sure we don't really get transfats in the uk, but she didn't know that I lived in the U.K. before posting..
    Is it different in the US?

Not really...a lot of processed foods and commercial baked goods used to have trans-fats, but they've largely been removed and phased out.

And things like low fat dairy do not have added sugars to make them taste better either.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Lefty1290 wrote: »
    Full fat because low fat is usually more processed and full fat keeps me full and helps with my health issues.

how is one more processed than the other? they are both still processed right?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    No fat dairy might look like they have added sugars as they have more by weight...once the dairy fat is removed. These are naturally occurring sugars such as lactose.

I am reconciled to fat as long as I measure carefully. Fats have twice the energy per gram compared to carbs or proteins.

Fats really do help get in those fat soluble vitamins and long-lasting energy.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Lefty1290 wrote: »

how is one more processed than the other? they are both still processed right?

Here, I guess: http://www.thekitchn.com/how-is-skim-milk-made-ingredient-intelligence-215893

If one cared (I don't), that might be a reason to pick low fat over skim, I dunno. Or just get it from a farm where they might not have to add anything back in if that level of processing it upsetting for some reason--not sure why it would be). Overall, the "process" of skimming off the cream when it rises is an old process ("cream rises to the top" is an old cliche, after all).
  • Jellybeanz44
    Jellybeanz44 Posts: 31 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I'm working with a dietician who recommends 30 grams of protein and 15 grams of fat PER MEAL. That's not including fats/ proteins in snacks throughout the day. To answer the OP's question, I'd lean more towards full fat with certain things. If you are getting your fats from things like coconut oil, avocado, nuts and what not, you're going to really be doing your body a favor and feel more satisfied. I'm finding I don't consume near the amount of caffeine I used to in the mornings because I'm eating a full meal within an hour of waking up. Anyway, best of luck to you.

ETA, I am 5'8" and 165 pounds currently.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Depends on timing, but in general - Full fat. I find this food more satisfying and sustaining. I could easily eat multiple low-fat option foods and not get the satisfaction from eating one serving of high fat, perfectly prepared dish. It depends on what my activity is at the time. I'm not going to eat this prior to run, but will sup in victory afterwards.

• inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    I feel like this is a stupid question coming from a veteran calorie counter but 50g of fat is 50g of fat is it not? How do you feel more full or less full if you're hitting your fat macro whether it's from full fat or lower fat food?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    fascha wrote: »
    I feel like this is a stupid question coming from a veteran calorie counter but 50g of fat is 50g of fat is it not? How do you feel more full or less full if you're hitting your fat macro whether it's from full fat or lower fat food?

I had the same thought. If I eat 0% Fage, because I like it, and use my excess fat calories on some chicken with the skin and salmon and avocado and nuts and cheese, why would I be better off skipping the cheese (because short of calories) and eating full fat Fage if I LIKE 0% as well or better?

My usual breakfast is pretty high fat, since I have two eggs with vegetables and a little feta. So I see no reason why full fat cottage cheese would be better than 1% I usually have with it (and 1% is my favorite anyway). In fact, I can eat more if I have 1%, which means I get in more protein and hit the macros I prefer for breakfast.

Also, what fat % you do best on is going to vary. I wouldn't enjoy the really high fat or low fat macros some do well on, but for them those are great.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options

I would guess some people are not volume eaters. They'd feel more full eating 30 g of nuts vs having a giant salad with low fat dressing and low fat cheese with a PB sammich.

Or something. IDK, it's early for me and I haven't had my Coke yet.
  • daneejela
    daneejela Posts: 461 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I don't know if it's good or not, but I always prefer eating food closest to it's original state, without too much change in nutrients.
    Reason for this is - I think nutrition science is still in it's beginning. Many things we don't know yet. We know many fragments, but live, in vivo synergic effects of food components are still unknown to us.

If I want to make calorie deficit, I'll just make a limitation of how much of certain food I will eat.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    Taste, always go by taste. Some things that do taste the same are not worth the extra calories, especially dairy fats to me.

That's exactly what I do. Taste rules this discussion for me as well. Since whole and skim milk taste the same to me in oatmeal, I would rather have my oatmeal base be 250 calories and not 350 to have more freedom with the extras, but for drinking I can't do skim, but low fat is close enough to satisfy. Fat free greek yogurt is plain tasteless and has too different of a mouthfeel (grew up eating full fat) for me to enjoy so I go for full fat. All dairy, but my decision for fat content is solely based on taste.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »

I would guess some people are not volume eaters. They'd feel more full eating 30 g of nuts vs having a giant salad with low fat dressing and low fat cheese with a PB sammich.

Or something. IDK, it's early for me and I haven't had my Coke yet.

I think this is it. It goes back to all these Halo Top threads. I am not a volume eater - I would rather have half a cup of rich gelato than a pint of Halo Top. But if you are a volume eater, no matter how much you enjoy that half cup of gelato, you're left wanting more cause the portion was so small.

So you can eat a 5 Oz container of fage whole milk yogurt, or a 5 Oz container of yoplait greek 100 plus a plate of cucumber sticks and a light string cheese. Same calories and fat, but some people will feel more full on the first and some on the second.