Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Full fat VS low fat

Options

Replies

• heiliskrimsli
    heiliskrimsli Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Oh, I thought of another low fat product I eat: sometimes I eat lean ground beef. Again, NO added sugar.

Many people like skinless, boneless chicken breast (I tend to cook my chicken with the skin on, often whole). Either way, though, the lower fat option has NO added sugar.

I, for one, would love a good way to get boneless with the skin on, but it never works out. That crispy, crispy skin.

How do you keep the low fat ground beef from drying out when you make burgers?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    dfwesq wrote: »
    I was just looking at 2 different cottage cheese containers I have in the fridge. one is 4% milkfat and the 1% milk fat(same brand) has 1g of sugar more than the 4%.the 4% has 4 and the other has 5. not a big difference. thats just for that product. Im not sure about anything else because I have nothing to compare to
    It's likely because when the fat in milk has little or no lactose in it. When fat is removed, the milk solids that have lactose in them amount for more of the final product. The extra 1g of sugar in the nutrition information is probably naturally-occurring lactose. (You can check the ingredients list to make sure there's no added sugar.)

Im sure thats probably it(not all products have the added sugar label so far.at least these didnt).But my point is its not excessive added sugar like most think it is.

You can look at the ingredients list if you wonder about added sugar. Cottage cheese shouldn't have any.

IME, low fat dairy has no more sugar even when controlled by amount. I've compared Fage (and posted it on various threads). But even if it had a bit more lactose for a cup (as with your example), that doesn't mean they add sugar -- the ingredients list is what to look at for that, and in plain dairy they do not.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Oh, I thought of another low fat product I eat: sometimes I eat lean ground beef. Again, NO added sugar.

Many people like skinless, boneless chicken breast (I tend to cook my chicken with the skin on, often whole). Either way, though, the lower fat option has NO added sugar.

I, for one, would love a good way to get boneless with the skin on, but it never works out. That crispy, crispy skin.

I prefer chicken cooked on the bone, so it's not a problem for me.

On the burgers, cooking quickly helps and I often put onion in the patty. I use ground beef more often in a meat sauce or sauteed, however, so it's less of an issue.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options

I have never had low fat ground beef, but to make patties tender we often soak the inside part of a bread roll (not the crust) in heavy cream or milk and add it to the meat mixture, plus onions of course. Not sure how it would work for low fat beef, though.
  • ConnieT1030
    ConnieT1030 Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    It all depends, I go by calories so I can save some unless the taste or tradeoff is one I dont want.

Certain things, for example sour cream, which IS fat basically- cream- nonfat sour cream, Im like, well then what the actual hell IS it? Because it sure isn't cream. But it doesnt kill me to have it, because sometimes my husband will pick it up by mistake, so well eat it. But given the choice I'll eat regular or light.

Salad dressing is a likely candidate for swapping out fat & adding a lot of sugar, so i usually skip those, and while I dont track sugar per se, i try not to go crazy with it in regular foods because if I'm not getting much fiber with it, it will make me hungry in a short time. So I try to save very sugary things for desserts, and Ill be asleep hopefully by the time I would be hungry again. :smiley:

I plain dont like the taste of most nonfat yogurt, but low fat is usually ok.

Sometimes I splurge calories and have the full fat as a treat (like ice cream) but eat the lower cal versions (frozen yogurt, skinny cow, halo top) the other times.

I also look for alternative fat sources to more creatively lower the calories, like I switched to cashew or almond/cashew milk, 25 calories a cup, and I actually like how it tastes. I used to use skim milk (my husband has to) but i never liked the taste of milk. I do rather like pure cream though :open_mouth: Had to cut that out because it was insane calories though lol.
    I just discovered mayo with avocado oil, and it actually tastes great and is very low cal for mayo!!

Conclusion, if I can save calories and it doesnt taste nasty or have too much extra sugar over the regular version, I'll choose the low or no fat version. :)
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    I was just looking at 2 different cottage cheese containers I have in the fridge. one is 4% milkfat and the 1% milk fat(same brand) has 1g of sugar more than the 4%.the 4% has 4 and the other has 5. not a big difference. thats just for that product. Im not sure about anything else because I have nothing to compare to
    It's likely because when the fat in milk has little or no lactose in it. When fat is removed, the milk solids that have lactose in them amount for more of the final product. The extra 1g of sugar in the nutrition information is probably naturally-occurring lactose. (You can check the ingredients list to make sure there's no added sugar.)

Im sure thats probably it(not all products have the added sugar label so far.at least these didnt).But my point is its not excessive added sugar like most think it is.

You can look at the ingredients list if you wonder about added sugar. Cottage cheese shouldn't have any.

IME, low fat dairy has no more sugar even when controlled by amount. I've compared Fage (and posted it on various threads). But even if it had a bit more lactose for a cup (as with your example), that doesn't mean they add sugar -- the ingredients list is what to look at for that, and in plain dairy they do not.

yeah i could look but for me it wont make a difference, I have to eat low fat,so the sugar to me doesnt matter. but for others it may
  • dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    yeah i could look but for me it wont make a difference, I have to eat low fat,so the sugar to me doesnt matter. but for others it may
    The reason I suggested looking at the ingredients list is that it's unlikely your cottage cheese has any added sugar. If there is some, it would show up there. I can't say for sure that no cottage cheese has added sugar, because they do add some things to try to improve the texture and taste. But IME the only ones with added sugar are the kinds that have fruit in them (e.g., pineapple cottage cheese). And anyway as others have pointed out, 1g of sugar is not a lot of difference.

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    The reason I suggested looking at the ingredients list is that it's unlikely your cottage cheese has any added sugar. If there is some, it would show up there. I can't say for sure that no cottage cheese has added sugar, because they do add some things to try to improve the texture and taste. But IME the only ones with added sugar are the kinds that have fruit in them (e.g., pineapple cottage cheese). And anyway as others have pointed out, 1g of sugar is not a lot of difference.

yeah,I totally get what you are saying
  • heiliskrimsli
    Options

I have never had low fat ground beef, but to make patties tender we often soak the inside part of a bread roll (not the crust) in heavy cream or milk and add it to the meat mixture, plus onions of course. Not sure how it would work for low fat beef, though.

My burgers consist only of meat. The bread goes on the outside. If the bread is in it, it's a meatball.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options

Personally I add an egg, onions and some bread crumbs.

(and a slice of feta in the middle... yummy!)
  • heiliskrimsli
    Options
    ladyreva78 wrote: »

I'm talking about a burger, not a meatball.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options

We get steak, mince it fresh then cook medium rare
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options

Erm... that's how I make my burgers...
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options

I do something similar... I do beef, onion, egg, bacon and sometimes guacamole.
  • heiliskrimsli
    Options

I should try that.

When I make a burger, the burger patty itself contains nothing but meat. There's enough bread, cheese and (sometimes) egg on it after it's been cooked that I have no interest in also putting it into the meat.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options

I should try that.

When I make a burger, the burger patty itself contains nothing but meat. There's enough bread, cheese and (sometimes) egg on it after it's been cooked that I have no interest in also putting it into the meat.

I'm one who likes dry burgers. Bad experience with one of my brothers who grilled me a "moist and juicy" burger which was half-raw. If I want moisture, I add a sauce or spread.
  • heiliskrimsli
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »

I should try that.

I'm one who likes dry burgers. Bad experience with one of my brothers who grilled me a "moist and juicy" burger which was half-raw. If I want moisture, I add a sauce or spread.

I cook them generally medium rare unless I'm grinding my own meat and then I'll go rare. I also generally use more fat in my burger meat than I would if I was making chili, and the only thing approaching sauce I will put on one is an egg with the yolk still runny. Nice rare venison burger with a fried egg. So great.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »

I should try that.

I cook them generally medium rare unless I'm grinding my own meat and then I'll go rare. I also generally use more fat in my burger meat than I would if I was making chili, and the only thing approaching sauce I will put on one is an egg with the yolk still runny. Nice rare venison burger with a fried egg. So great.

Elk and Bison are also great medium rare with a sunnyside up egg.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options

I should try that.

I find that ground beef that is leaner than 93/7 is too bland and dry with nothing added to it. If I am cooking just a plain burger then I want 90/10. I just don't like the taste of fattier beef. I can't do that 85/15 and especially 80/20. The texture and the taste of high fat meat I find unpalatable.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I have done a great deal of personal research on this topic and definitely have an opinion, which can be substantiated by numerous scientific research

Whenever post start out like this, it's a near given that much of the rest will be factually incorrect.
    Fat in your diet is essential for energy, healthy tissue, controlling inflammation, absorption of fat soluble vitamins (A, D, E, & K), and regulation of many hormones. It can even help with weight loss, by providing enough calories and energy to keep you feeling satiated and your energy levels even.

So far, so good.
    The trick is to eat the right kind of fat, which is mainly plant based, from nuts, seeds, avocados. In addition to plant based polyunsaturated fats, fats found in fish like salmon, tuna, and sardines contain essential fatty acids, omega-3 and omega-6 that help reduce heart disease. Vegetable based fats help with insulin resistance and body inflammation, which contributes to multiple chronic diseases.

Oh. Not exactly wrong, but quite correct. Those are fine fats to eat, but you don't have to eat "the right kind of fat."
    Fats from animal sources are called saturated fats and are okay in moderation. You get these from beef, cheese, ice cream, and eggs.

Fine.
    Trans fats are found in processed foods and should be avoided at all costs. Cookies, cakes, and fast food contain trans fats. If it comes in a box, it has trans fats most likely and is artificially created! Additionally, "low fat" foods are often created with increased sugar and other processed items like refined substances (flour, starch). They do this to make the "low fat" taste good, but end up jacking up our blood sugar, spiking our insulin levels and even causing weight GAIN!

A whole lot of nope. Sure, trans fats should be avoided, and some low-fat foods have added sugar, but the rest is incorrect.
    So, I personally, so not eat anything "low-fat". It is better to choose half and half for your coffee than processed, sugary creamers. To me, "low-fat" equals high sugar, high insulin body spikes, low nutritionally value, and possible weight gain.

I hope this helps!

Your preference is fine, although the reasons are faulty, as has been noted by others, as well.