Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Full fat VS low fat

Options

Replies

• mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    I would love for any of the folks continuing to post that low fat products have extra sugar added to please post some examples. Compare the sugar in the regular version in grams to the sugar in low fat. I know it was true of those Snackwell cookies back in the day, but I just never see it now.

Right? And those snackwells keep coming up as an example for "but, all the sugar!" For heavens sake they're cookies!
  • kokonani
    kokonani Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I eat a mixture. Sometimes I'll eat fat free if I'm trying to save calories, but things like cream cheese, I prefer full fat version. I used to only eat full fat on keto, but now I stopped and I'm just trying to enjoy eating a little of everything. I like fat free Greek yogurt, but full fat cheeses all the way.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I would love for any of the folks continuing to post that low fat products have extra sugar added to please post some examples. Compare the sugar in the regular version in grams to the sugar in low fat. I know it was true of those Snackwell cookies back in the day, but I just never see it now.

Kroger brand 2% cottage cheese lists dextrose on the list of ingredients. It's not much (not enough to make it enough higher in sugar than the regular to bother me as a diabetic) but it is there. And they are a little sneaky about it - not everyone knows that dextrose means sugar.

Isn't the total amount of sugar listed on the label though? Not sure how that is confusing ad it says the # of grams.

Dairy has natural sugars. So it's not possible from the label to tell that there are ADDED sugars unless you know the various names for sugar. The number of grams includes both natural and added in the same number.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options

Kroger brand 2% cottage cheese lists dextrose on the list of ingredients. It's not much (not enough to make it enough higher in sugar than the regular to bother me as a diabetic) but it is there. And they are a little sneaky about it - not everyone knows that dextrose means sugar.

Isn't the total amount of sugar listed on the label though? Not sure how that is confusing ad it says the # of grams.

Dairy has natural sugars. So it's not possible from the label to tell that there are ADDED sugars unless you know the various names for sugar. The number of grams includes both natural and added in the same number.

Yes but if you compare it to the full fat version you can tell if they added sugar or not.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Graelwyn75 wrote: »
    I try and eat full fat as I prefer the taste, find it more satiating and found that a lot of low fat products, such as yoghurt, have sugar and/or artificial flavours added to compensate for the taste lost in removing the fat. I also hit a very low bodyfat% whilst eating plenty of fat as part of my diet so I see no reason to remove it. Obviously, I am careful with my sources of fat and I stick mostly to full fat cottage cheese, full fat Greek yoghurt, avocado, nuts, seeds, eggs,butter,milk and some chicken skin.

Flavoured yoghurt has sugar added regardless of fat content. Plain yoghurt has no sugar added - it has lactose, naturally.

I guess I should have paused and put more thought in before I posted, lol. Admittedly, I posted right before bed. I am aware of this which is why I tend to stick to full fat plain Fage yoghurt or have Quark as a yoghurt alternative and mix my own things in. I have found a few yoghurts with very low added sugar, but they are few and far between. One such is the Arla Skyr brand Icelanding style yoghurt. I have noticed that in general, low fat vs full fat flavoured yoghurts over here do seem to have a higher quantity of sugar added, but yes, you are right. It is probably why I do not tend to like store bought flavoured yoghurts; much nicer to mix one's own stuff in. I don't have an issue with eating sugar, per se, I would just prefer to obtain it from other foods since flavoured yoghurt is not one of my favourite foods.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I try and eat full fat as I prefer the taste, find it more satiating and found that a lot of low fat products, such as yoghurt, have sugar and/or artificial flavours added to compensate for the taste lost in removing the fat. I also hit a very low bodyfat% whilst eating plenty of fat as part of my diet so I see no reason to remove it. Obviously, I am careful with my sources of fat and I stick mostly to full fat cottage cheese, full fat Greek yoghurt, avocado, nuts, seeds, eggs,butter,milk and some chicken skin.

Flavoured yoghurt has sugar added regardless of fat content. Plain yoghurt has no sugar added - it has lactose, naturally.

I guess I should have paused and put more thought in before I posted, lol. Admittedly, I posted right before bed. I am aware of this which is why I tend to stick to full fat plain Fage yoghurt or have Quark as a yoghurt alternative and mix my own things in. I have found a few yoghurts with very low added sugar, but they are few and far between. One such is the Arla Skyr brand Icelanding style yoghurt. I have noticed that in general, low fat vs full fat flavoured yoghurts over here do seem to have a higher quantity of sugar added, but yes, you are right. It is probably why I do not tend to like store bought flavoured yoghurts; much nicer to mix one's own stuff in. I don't have an issue with eating sugar, per se, I would just prefer to obtain it from other foods since flavoured yoghurt is not one of my favourite foods.

The thing is, I eat Fage plain too. But I eat the 2%.

In fact, sometimes I eat it as a savory meal, topped with salsa instead of fruit!
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options

In fact, sometimes I eat it as a savory meal, topped with salsa instead of fruit!

Hmm. Not sure I am brave enough to try it as a savoury meal. I have had 2% before but it is a lot harder to find here. Mostly I see the 0% and the full fat varieties without having to go out of my way to another town.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Thank you for at least providing a example. Though since both list 4 grams of sugar (perhaps full has 4.0 and low fat has 4.9) it's not quite the dramatic trick the other posts suggest :)

Looks like what's added is maltodextrin (not a sweetener, it's probably for texture, would show in total carbs not sugar, I think, but still a quite small amount) and "cultured dextrose" (WAY down on the list of ingredients). What is this for? "Cultured Dextrose is an antimicrobial agent made from food grade dairy cultures grown on dextrose. These cultures are then pasteurized, dried and made into a useable powder with maltodextrin as the carrier. By culturing the dextrose, the levels of naturally occuring acids, such as proprionic acid, are altered to increase their antimicrobial activity."

So this doesn't really support the added sugar thing.

It's also possible to find low fat cottage cheese without these additives, of course, if one has an issue.

Yet we consistently hear that low fat dairy and other low fat products are invariably just packed with added sugar, which is making a real difference in the amount of sugar in the US diet.
  • lemurcat12
    edited August 2017
    Options

I eat Fage 2% and 0%. I'm more likely to mix 2% with berries or walnut butter (no added sugar to that either) and more likely to use the 0% as a savory side -- basically I might eat it with potatoes or just as a side with an omelet or meat and veg and sometimes let the foods mix some. I think it's quite similar to sour cream in how I would enjoy it. (I have used it on a plate with salsa and together, but not mixed, if that makes sense.)
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options

Cookies with added sugar!?!? Mind blown!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I just wish our manufactures would decide which way to spell yogurt!

You can go into the store here and see 3 different brands all with different spelling.

Yogurt
    Yoghurt
    Yoghourt
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options

You can go into the store here and see 3 different brands all with different spelling.

Yogurt
    Yoghurt
    Yoghourt

The more vowels it has, the more authentic (and expensive) it is?
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »

Yogurt
    Yoghurt
    Yoghourt

The more vowels it has, the more authentic (and expensive) it is?

You may be on to something there :smiley:
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    Options

Hmm. Not sure I am brave enough to try it as a savoury meal. I have had 2% before but it is a lot harder to find here. Mostly I see the 0% and the full fat varieties without having to go out of my way to another town.

It's so funny how market availability varies. I think I saw the full fat variety maybe once ever. It's never been widely available around here. I've always wanted to try it just to say that I've done so, but I can never find it.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options

It's so funny how market availability varies. I think I saw the full fat variety maybe once ever. It's never been widely available around here. I've always wanted to try it just to say that I've done so, but I can never find it.

Me too! Often all they have is the 0%, so I stock up on 2% whenever I can find it. I've heard full fat Fage is like the holy grail of yogurt, so I'll keep looking :)
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    edited August 2017
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

I eat Fage 2% and 0%. I'm more likely to mix 2% with berries or walnut butter (no added sugar to that either) and more likely to use the 0% as a savory side -- basically I might eat it with potatoes or just as a side with an omelet or meat and veg and sometimes let the foods mix some. I think it's quite similar to sour cream in how I would enjoy it. (I have used it on a plate with salsa and together, but not mixed, if that makes sense.)

I had it yesterday for breakfast. I made a hash with cauliflower and potatoes, topped it with a big scoop of yogurt, and threw salsa over the whole thing.

It was a very good and very filling breakfast.

But when I was still able to eat raw veggies, I'd mix yogurt with cucumbers and top it with salsa too. That was really tasty.

Basically, I think I have a salsa problem, come to think of it. I love the stuff.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options

Funny how foods are perceived differently in different places. I only eat it savory and when I tried it sweet it was very odd, like trying to eat chicken ice cream or pouring gravy over cheesecake. Just doesn't compute on my taste buds. Same reason I can't eat sweet potatoes, too sweet for a vegetable. Oddly, there are two exceptions to 100% savory yogurt: eating it while drinking sweet tea and eating it with grapes on the side, but not mixed in.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options

Thank you for at least providing a example. Though since both list 4 grams of sugar (perhaps full has 4.0 and low fat has 4.9) it's not quite the dramatic trick the other posts suggest :)

Looks like what's added is maltodextrin (not a sweetener, it's probably for texture, would show in total carbs not sugar, I think, but still a quite small amount) and "cultured dextrose" (WAY down on the list of ingredients). What is this for? "Cultured Dextrose is an antimicrobial agent made from food grade dairy cultures grown on dextrose. These cultures are then pasteurized, dried and made into a useable powder with maltodextrin as the carrier. By culturing the dextrose, the levels of naturally occuring acids, such as proprionic acid, are altered to increase their antimicrobial activity."

It's also possible to find low fat cottage cheese without these additives, of course, if one has an issue.

Yet we consistently hear that low fat dairy and other low fat products are invariably just packed with added sugar, which is making a real difference in the amount of sugar in the US diet.

The main thing I've noticed added sugar in low fat versions is salad dressing - dairy doesn't seem to be a problem unless it's flavored.
  • lemurcat12
    Options

The main thing I've noticed added sugar in low fat versions is salad dressing - dairy doesn't seem to be a problem unless it's flavored.

Yeah, agreed. I never buy salad dressing, but I recall that from last time I looked at them.
  • Mezzie1024
    Mezzie1024 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I like lowfat Greek yogurt, but that's it -- everything else has to be full fat or it completely turns my stomach. Like others said, I find 1/4 cup of rich ice cream infinitely more satisfying than a pint of something low-fat. My husband had me taste his Halo Top without telling me what it was, and I almost spit it out. I don't like milk to drink unless it's fresh buttermilk (which is hard to get, so I have it about once every five years). My great-grandparents, who lived and were active well into their 90s, had a rule that if the butter on your pancakes melted, you hadn't put enough butter on your pancakes, so I think I was trained from an early age to like fat. :)