Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Full fat VS low fat

Options

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    ccruz985 wrote: »
    Some foods, you just can't skip the fat on. It completely ruins it and then eating it is like punishment. Light mayo, Hellman's brand, tastes exactly the same as regular so I switched to light and never looked back. However, 4% full fat cottage cheese is the only way to go. The 2% and nonfat are awful and not worth it.

For me it is the exact opposite. I hate reduced fat mayo but prefer reduced fat cottage cheese. I prefer all dairy be reduced or non- fat. I don't like milkfat.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    ccruz985 wrote: »
    Some foods, you just can't skip the fat on. It completely ruins it and then eating it is like punishment. Light mayo, Hellman's brand, tastes exactly the same as regular so I switched to light and never looked back. However, 4% full fat cottage cheese is the only way to go. The 2% and nonfat are awful and not worth it.

For me it is the exact opposite. I hate reduced fat mayo but prefer reduced fat cottage cheese. I prefer all dairy be reduced or non- fat. I don't like milkfat.

I've never liked milk, but whole milk always tastes curdled to me... and not in the good cheesey whey I like curds.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I prefer 1% cottage cheese. I sometimes get it at the farmer's market (the kind I buy there is full fat) and it's tasty too, but I like the 1% just as much.

I am super picky about mayo, mostly only have it if I make it myself, and only on specific things, but I am reasonably sure I'd dislike low fat mayo, since for me mayo is basically about the fat whereas cottage cheese is not.

Now cheese I would not get low fat.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I prefer 1% cottage cheese. I sometimes get it at the farmer's market (the kind I buy there is full fat) and it's tasty too, but I like the 1% just as much.

I am super picky about mayo, mostly only have it if I make it myself, and only on specific things, but I am reasonably sure I'd dislike low fat mayo, since for me mayo is basically about the fat whereas cottage cheese is not.

Now cheese I would not get low fat.

Cheese is something I often get full fat since it's really the creamy milkfat that I don't like. I loathe every fat free cheese I've every tried but I do get some reduced fat (usually 2%). It just depends on the type of cheese.
  • DianaGabriela2013
    DianaGabriela2013 Posts: 108 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I have done a great deal of personal research on this topic and definitely have an opinion, which can be substantiated by numerous scientific research. Fat in your diet is essential for energy, healthy tissue, controlling inflammation, absorption of fat soluble vitamins (A, D, E, & K), and regulation of many hormones. It can even help with weight loss, by providing enough calories and energy to keep you feeling satiated and your energy levels even.

The trick is to eat the right kind of fat, which is mainly plant based, from nuts, seeds, avocados. In addition to plant based polyunsaturated fats, fats found in fish like salmon, tuna, and sardines contain essential fatty acids, omega-3 and omega-6 that help reduce heart disease. Vegetable based fats help with insulin resistance and body inflammation, which contributes to multiple chronic diseases.

Fats from animal sources are called saturated fats and are okay in moderation. You get these from beef, cheese, ice cream, and eggs.

Trans fats are found in processed foods and should be avoided at all costs. Cookies, cakes, and fast food contain trans fats. If it comes in a box, it has trans fats most likely and is artificially created! Additionally, "low fat" foods are often created with increased sugar and other processed items like refined substances (flour, starch). They do this to make the "low fat" taste good, but end up jacking up our blood sugar, spiking our insulin levels and even causing weight GAIN!

So, I personally, so not eat anything "low-fat". It is better to choose half and half for your coffee than processed, sugary creamers. To me, "low-fat" equals high sugar, high insulin body spikes, low nutritionally value, and possible weight gain.

I hope this helps!

This confused me a bit. I buy plain low fat yogurt. I don't expect it to have any added sugars or processed items because its plain. No flavors. I do hate that "sugarless" jams are sweetened with other things that may or may not be worse. So I am VERY weary about low fat and no sugar added items. But I would expect my plain yogurt not to have added sugars for taste.
    ugh... why can't no added sugar be no added sugar and leave it at that.. why do they have to add other crap. If we like it we like it and if not we go back to the sweet stuff. geez. Not everyone has a sweet tooth.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I have done a great deal of personal research on this topic and definitely have an opinion, which can be substantiated by numerous scientific research. Fat in your diet is essential for energy, healthy tissue, controlling inflammation, absorption of fat soluble vitamins (A, D, E, & K), and regulation of many hormones. It can even help with weight loss, by providing enough calories and energy to keep you feeling satiated and your energy levels even.

The trick is to eat the right kind of fat, which is mainly plant based, from nuts, seeds, avocados. In addition to plant based polyunsaturated fats, fats found in fish like salmon, tuna, and sardines contain essential fatty acids, omega-3 and omega-6 that help reduce heart disease. Vegetable based fats help with insulin resistance and body inflammation, which contributes to multiple chronic diseases.

Fats from animal sources are called saturated fats and are okay in moderation. You get these from beef, cheese, ice cream, and eggs.

Trans fats are found in processed foods and should be avoided at all costs. Cookies, cakes, and fast food contain trans fats. If it comes in a box, it has trans fats most likely and is artificially created! Additionally, "low fat" foods are often created with increased sugar and other processed items like refined substances (flour, starch). They do this to make the "low fat" taste good, but end up jacking up our blood sugar, spiking our insulin levels and even causing weight GAIN!

So, I personally, so not eat anything "low-fat". It is better to choose half and half for your coffee than processed, sugary creamers. To me, "low-fat" equals high sugar, high insulin body spikes, low nutritionally value, and possible weight gain.

I hope this helps!

This confused me a bit. I buy plain low fat yogurt. I don't expect it to have any added sugars or processed items because its plain. No flavors. I do hate that "sugarless" jams are sweetened with other things that may or may not be worse. So I am VERY weary about low fat and no sugar added items. But I would expect my plain yogurt not to have added sugars for taste.
    ugh... why can't no added sugar be no added sugar and leave it at that.. why do they have to add other crap. If we like it we like it and if not we go back to the sweet stuff. geez. Not everyone has a sweet tooth.

Just check the label, if there is added sugar it will be listed in the ingredients. Many people think there is sugar added to lowfat dairy, but I have literally never seen this, it's mostly a myth. Milk naturally has milk sugar in it (lactose) so even plain yogurt with nothing added will have several grams of sugar. The percentage of calories in low-fat yogurt due to sugar will be slightly higher, because fat was removed but the natural sugar remained the same. Low-fat equaling high-sugar is not always the case, I'd suspect it's only "low-fat" baked goods that would happen in. And regardless, manufacturers can't hide anything from you if you read the nutrition info and ingredients.
  • joemac1988
    joemac1988 Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    Bex953172 wrote: »
    Which do you think is better in your diet?
    And why?

I opt for low fat just because fat is calorie-dense. I'd rather have more food! Same thing with Coke vs. Diet Coke; you have the people that say "you know Diet Coke isn't good for you, just have regular Coke!". Yeah, well NEITHER ONE is a healthy choice and that being said I'll go for the one with 0 calories over the one with 140.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

I hope this helps!

This confused me a bit. I buy plain low fat yogurt. I don't expect it to have any added sugars or processed items because its plain.

It probably does not, just read the label.

For some reason people like to assert that plain low fat dairy has sugar added, but that's just not true.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I try and eat full fat as I prefer the taste, find it more satiating and found that a lot of low fat products, such as yoghurt, have sugar and/or artificial flavours added to compensate for the taste lost in removing the fat. I also hit a very low bodyfat% whilst eating plenty of fat as part of my diet so I see no reason to remove it. Obviously, I am careful with my sources of fat and I stick mostly to full fat cottage cheese, full fat Greek yoghurt, avocado, nuts, seeds, eggs,butter,milk and some chicken skin.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    My husband accidentally bought low fat mayo the other day... I cant really describe the taste, it tastes a little like mayonnaise, but there really is no comparison. I'll finish the bottle and hope i get used to it, and i must admit i am impressed with how much i can use for so few calories compared to the regular kind, but that's the only positive to it.
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Be careful with fat free stuff. Fat tastes good, often when fat is removed, sugar gets added. So long as it's in moderation, fat is healthy and there's nothing wrong with regular fat products.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

I hope this helps!

Where do you live that all of your boxed foods have transfat? None of mine do. I think you may be relying on hyperbole and fearmongering a bit much here.

I'm in the "I use low fat products where I choose and full fat products where I prefer" camp.

This. I just did a random sampling of food in my pantry and fridge and chips, cookies, syrup, pop tarts, coffee creamer, even tub margarine (I know, my husband bought it by mistake) had zero trans fats.

To the OP - calories are what matter for weight loss. Some people have a medical reason to restrict carbs and thus choose a higher fat diet to support LC. Some people have medical reasons for a Low Fat diet. If you don't have a medical reason, then you can eat either full fat or low fat foods as you prefer taste wise and accommodating them in your overall calorie plan.

In the US it's not required to label trans fat if it rounds down to below a certain number per serving (think 1 g would have to look it up) but if you eat several servings it can add up. Look for any oil "partially hydrogenated" on the ingredient label, that's a trans fat.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Graelwyn75 wrote: »
    I try and eat full fat as I prefer the taste, find it more satiating and found that a lot of low fat products, such as yoghurt, have sugar and/or artificial flavours added to compensate for the taste lost in removing the fat. I also hit a very low bodyfat% whilst eating plenty of fat as part of my diet so I see no reason to remove it. Obviously, I am careful with my sources of fat and I stick mostly to full fat cottage cheese, full fat Greek yoghurt, avocado, nuts, seeds, eggs,butter,milk and some chicken skin.

Flavoured yoghurt has sugar added regardless of fat content. Plain yoghurt has no sugar added - it has lactose, naturally.
  • lalepepper
    lalepepper Posts: 447 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I prefer moderate fat cottage cheese, full fat greek, moderate % milk, full fat regular cheese and ice cream, regular butter, and lean meats. I tend to use yogurt based dressings for salads.

I don't put much stock in low fat processed items. They often put in sugar and other unnecessary ingredients to round out the taste fat normally provides, if it is in fact removed. I'd rather just have the fat without the crap added, and find I feel fuller with the "normal", fat inclusive version of a lot of things.
  • kimny72
    Options
    I would love for any of the folks continuing to post that low fat products have extra sugar added to please post some examples. Compare the sugar in the regular version in grams to the sugar in low fat. I know it was true of those Snackwell cookies back in the day, but I just never see it now.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Typically, processed foods that are low fat end up just adding salt and sugar to make up for the flavor that was lost when fat was removed. It's fine not to eat full fat, but fat is vilified when it's really not a problem most of the time.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    I would love for any of the folks continuing to post that low fat products have extra sugar added to please post some examples. Compare the sugar in the regular version in grams to the sugar in low fat. I know it was true of those Snackwell cookies back in the day, but I just never see it now.

Kroger brand 2% cottage cheese lists dextrose on the list of ingredients. It's not much (not enough to make it enough higher in sugar than the regular to bother me as a diabetic) but it is there. And they are a little sneaky about it - not everyone knows that dextrose means sugar.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options

And another one right below this post
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options

Kroger brand 2% cottage cheese lists dextrose on the list of ingredients. It's not much (not enough to make it enough higher in sugar than the regular to bother me as a diabetic) but it is there. And they are a little sneaky about it - not everyone knows that dextrose means sugar.

Isn't the total amount of sugar listed on the label though? Not sure how that is confusing ad it says the # of grams.
  • kimny72
    Options

Thank you for at least providing a example. Though since both list 4 grams of sugar (perhaps full has 4.0 and low fat has 4.9) it's not quite the dramatic trick the other posts suggest :)