Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Full fat VS low fat

Options

Replies

• hhebert01
    hhebert01 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Full fat in moderation. not only is it healthy (hdl, omega 3 and 6, etc) and satiates hunger, its high amounts of sugar and salt thats the killer (diabetes, cardiac arrest, strokes/clogged arteries etc).

Healthy fats are in avocadoes, nuts, coconut stuff, even dairy in moderation. Also fyi cottage cheese is high in protein.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    zyxst wrote: »
    I want to say this: I would not let anyone in this thread cook my burgers/steaks.

Thanks a shame, because I am a fantastic cook and you'd be missing out. If you want me to go against my religion and overcook a burger passed medium rare, I can close my eyes like I do for my MIL.

Unless It's fresh ground from steak, I'll take mine medium/well I don't trust 99% of factory butchers.

Now a steak.. medium-rare is fine.
  • stanmann571
    Options
    mortuseon_ wrote: »
    psuLemon wrote: »
    I want to say this: I would not let anyone in this thread cook my burgers/steaks.

Thanks a shame, because I am a fantastic cook and you'd be missing out. If you want me to go against my religion and overcook a burger passed medium rare, I can close my eyes like I do for my MIL.

Sorry, no. I don't eat raw or partially raw meat.

I haven't eaten a burger less than well done since I read 'Toxin' by Robin Cook. ::noway::

Steaks I can do, but not ground meat. Even when I grind the meat myself I still get weirded out.

Yeah, but then if you have your meat well-done/chargrilled, you have Trp-P-1 and cancers to worry about...you just can't win ;)

Charred/burnt isn't well done.

Well done has a moist brown(not grey) centre.
  • missh1967
    missh1967 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Someone has slept through class.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    jtegirl1 wrote: »
    I always buy full fat, except milk, I drink 2%. Only because I've gotten into the habit of getting that and don't think about it to buy full fat milk.

Me too
  • SundropEclipse
    SundropEclipse Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Without meaning to I've been eating less fat than usual. Been constipated for a week now despite drinking more fluids and getting fiber. Looking forward to a butter-fried omlette tomorrow morning and hopefully a subsequent visit to the porcelain throne. Low fat works for some, but I'm not one of them.
  • grinning_chick
    grinning_chick Posts: 765 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Full fat as much as possible (I did by low fat part skim mozzarella sticks the other day to save a few calories and $; tasteless and won't be buying again).

Namely because I love my gallbladder and don't want to be parted from it prematurely due to under-performance in the face of a low fat diet that will fill it with sludge and stones if I'm an unlucky body in that pathology lottery, thanks.
  • WickAndArtoo
    WickAndArtoo Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    I prefer full fat dairy but have been using powdered milk lately which is nonfat. I don't drink it just use it in cooking.
    I get full fat cheese and yogurt.
    I hate margarine. I get real butter.
    I eat whole eggs. I kind of dislike egg whites so if I don't eat the good yolk there isn't any point to me eating eggs.
    I use Newman's Own light salad dressing but mostly hate light versions of products.
    I use regular peanut butter.

I am right there with you! I have always had a healthy body weight, so it's never done me wrong either.
  • raeveth
    raeveth Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    menotyou56 wrote: »
    Theo166 wrote: »
    My ears perked up, did someone mention bacon!?

ca3f777cbf177024bad1f63f16e95ec6.jpg

LOL! Bacon, the breakfast of Champions! :wink:

Full fat everytime! It satiates you and low fat products always add extra sugar, yuck.

That's my kind of salad!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I have both full fat and 0% yogurt in my fridge (They both taste exactly the same to me), and full fat and low fat Philly cream cheese. I choose one or the other depending how my fat grams look on the particular day.

I have never even seen low fat cheese here, sounds blasphemous, rubbery and tasteless to me! I dont do low fat/skim milk, tastes like powdery, somewhat milky tasting water :confounded:
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    I find no-fat dairy to be a pretty good protein source, but I definitely prefer the flavor and texture of full fat dairy. I almost always end up eating the no/low fat options because I'm constantly at odds trying to hit high protein on cutting calories. I'd rather save my fat calories for things I find indulgent like peanut butter, steaks, turkey bacon, etc.
  • JustRobby1
    JustRobby1 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I am driven primarily by taste, and let's face it, some low fat products are about as appetizing as putting your mouth on the tail pipe of a diesel engine. This being the case, and if it's a product I know there is a measurable difference in taste, bring on the fat all day. So long as I can fit it in under my calories for the day, it's all good with me.
  • LettingTheSmallStuffGo
    Options
    Full fat, I eat smaller portions because I get so full.
  • DM_78
    DM_78 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Full fat, I eat smaller portions because I get so full.

Same here.
  • Bex953172
    Bex953172 Posts: 4,073 Member
    Options
    jesspen91 wrote: »
    pinuplove wrote: »
    Full fat vs low fat what? I generally steer clear of anything with 'diet' or 'low fat' advertised in it because I feel many times the quality of the product suffers when fat is removed. However I do eat fat free Greek yogurt with my breakfast often because I've found one I like and have it with eggs, which provide the fat. I wind up with a well-balance breakfast from a macro perspective.

I use full fat cheese, milk, eat nuts, avocados, olive oil, etc. Fat isn't scary or to be avoided. Bacon is delicious. Turkey bacon makes me :cry:

@pinuplove What full fat Greek yogurt brand have you found that you enjoy? I'm looking for something new.. planning on trying plain Greek and adding mix-ins to avoid some of that crazy amount of sugar in the fruit yogurt.

Any responses are appreciated! Thanks :smiley:

Regarding OP... I used to go with fat free this and that.. but that was when I started out. Many times when you buy a product that has the fat cut they'll increase the sugar. Same if you buy sugar free or reduced sugar, they raise the sodium or fat.

You need to eat fat, therefore some of your food has to contain fat.

I choose low fat dairy as I prefer to add fat in other ways - like a sprinkle of nuts with berries on the yoghurt. Skim milk froths better than fattier milk, and I only use it to make froth for my coffee...

I prefer using some egg whites with a whole egg or two rather than all whole eggs as I prefer to add other fat - like avo on the eggs, or in a salad.

I prefer to not cook with oil as I can have a fatty piece of salmon instead.

Some days I'll lower fat in meals so I can include some chocolate, or icecream, or chips/crisps etc

Choose your fats. You need them.

I like what you've shared..thinking it through like that makes sense, thanks for tanking time to share that. :smiley:

Skyr is really yummy. I think its technically cheese but it has the taste of thick yoghurt.

I'm currently pregnant and I think you've put me off Skyr for life.
    :grimace:
  • ccruz985
    ccruz985 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Some foods, you just can't skip the fat on. It completely ruins it and then eating it is like punishment. Light mayo, Hellman's brand, tastes exactly the same as regular so I switched to light and never looked back. However, 4% full fat cottage cheese is the only way to go. The 2% and nonfat are awful and not worth it.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    ccruz985 wrote: »
    Some foods, you just can't skip the fat on. It completely ruins it and then eating it is like punishment. Light mayo, Hellman's brand, tastes exactly the same as regular so I switched to light and never looked back. However, 4% full fat cottage cheese is the only way to go. The 2% and nonfat are awful and not worth it.

I adore cottage cheese. It's a tie between cottage cheese and potatoes to be my favorite food.

I happily eat either 4%, 2%, or 1%, depending on what I'm doing with my macros and other dietary choices. The one thing I won't compromise on is brand. It has to be Friendship. I will grant you that I think the 4% is tastiest, but I like the other two fat levels just fine. Of course, that's just me :) being weird and taking any and all cottage cheese because I love it so much.
  • stanmann571
    Options
    ccruz985 wrote: »

I adore cottage cheese. It's a tie between cottage cheese and potatoes to be my favorite food.

I happily eat either 4%, 2%, or 1%, depending on what I'm doing with my macros and other dietary choices. The one thing I won't compromise on is brand. It has to be Friendship. I will grant you that I think the 4% is tastiest, but I like the other two fat levels just fine. Of course, that's just me :) being weird and taking any and all cottage cheese because I love it so much.

Never had friendship, but lately I'm partial to Breakstone.