Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Full fat VS low fat

Options
18910111214»

Replies

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    I would love for any of the folks continuing to post that low fat products have extra sugar added to please post some examples. Compare the sugar in the regular version in grams to the sugar in low fat. I know it was true of those Snackwell cookies back in the day, but I just never see it now.

Kroger brand 2% cottage cheese lists dextrose on the list of ingredients. It's not much (not enough to make it enough higher in sugar than the regular to bother me as a diabetic) but it is there. And they are a little sneaky about it - not everyone knows that dextrose means sugar.

Isn't the total amount of sugar listed on the label though? Not sure how that is confusing ad it says the # of grams.

Dairy has natural sugars. So it's not possible from the label to tell that there are ADDED sugars unless you know the various names for sugar. The number of grams includes both natural and added in the same number.

And that distinction is important because...?
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Graelwyn75 wrote: »
    Graelwyn75 wrote: »
    I try and eat full fat as I prefer the taste, find it more satiating and found that a lot of low fat products, such as yoghurt, have sugar and/or artificial flavours added to compensate for the taste lost in removing the fat. I also hit a very low bodyfat% whilst eating plenty of fat as part of my diet so I see no reason to remove it. Obviously, I am careful with my sources of fat and I stick mostly to full fat cottage cheese, full fat Greek yoghurt, avocado, nuts, seeds, eggs,butter,milk and some chicken skin.

Flavoured yoghurt has sugar added regardless of fat content. Plain yoghurt has no sugar added - it has lactose, naturally.

I guess I should have paused and put more thought in before I posted, lol. Admittedly, I posted right before bed. I am aware of this which is why I tend to stick to full fat plain Fage yoghurt or have Quark as a yoghurt alternative and mix my own things in. I have found a few yoghurts with very low added sugar, but they are few and far between. One such is the Arla Skyr brand Icelanding style yoghurt. I have noticed that in general, low fat vs full fat flavoured yoghurts over here do seem to have a higher quantity of sugar added, but yes, you are right. It is probably why I do not tend to like store bought flavoured yoghurts; much nicer to mix one's own stuff in. I don't have an issue with eating sugar, per se, I would just prefer to obtain it from other foods since flavoured yoghurt is not one of my favourite foods.

The thing is, I eat Fage plain too. But I eat the 2%.

In fact, sometimes I eat it as a savory meal, topped with salsa instead of fruit!

I eat Fage 2% and 0%. I'm more likely to mix 2% with berries or walnut butter (no added sugar to that either) and more likely to use the 0% as a savory side -- basically I might eat it with potatoes or just as a side with an omelet or meat and veg and sometimes let the foods mix some. I think it's quite similar to sour cream in how I would enjoy it. (I have used it on a plate with salsa and together, but not mixed, if that makes sense.)

I eat Fage 2% and stir in a serving (about 40 calories) of chocolate Ovaltine. The best "pudding" I have ever had...
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    I would love for any of the folks continuing to post that low fat products have extra sugar added to please post some examples. Compare the sugar in the regular version in grams to the sugar in low fat. I know it was true of those Snackwell cookies back in the day, but I just never see it now.

Kroger brand 2% cottage cheese lists dextrose on the list of ingredients. It's not much (not enough to make it enough higher in sugar than the regular to bother me as a diabetic) but it is there. And they are a little sneaky about it - not everyone knows that dextrose means sugar.

Isn't the total amount of sugar listed on the label though? Not sure how that is confusing ad it says the # of grams.

Dairy has natural sugars. So it's not possible from the label to tell that there are ADDED sugars unless you know the various names for sugar. The number of grams includes both natural and added in the same number.

And that distinction is important because...?

It's not, really. As I said, I'm a diabetic, so I have a genuine reason to care about sugar, and I eat this with no problems. But I do think the labeling could be clearer. More truthfulness is never a bad thing. It's not up to me what other people care about - if someone wants to avoid added sugars, they should be able to tell which products have them, without a science degree.
  • GemstoneofHeart
    GemstoneofHeart Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Whatever I have on hand. I don't pay any attention to the fat content so long as there is no trans fat and lower sat fat. Other than that, not on my radar.
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    Basically, I think I have a salsa problem, come to think of it. I love the stuff.

This sounds like the opposite of a problem IMO ;)