How far do you drive to your gym?

Options
1235»

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    lilawolf wrote: »
    I'm in luck... My work has a fabulous and stupidly underutilized gym. 4 barbells and 3 racks/cages and I don't remember ever having to share.... I also live less than a mile from work and my martial arts studio is half way in between.

My last gym was 3 miles away, but on the way to work.

You have to realistically think about how much you would ACTUALLY drive that. Is the annoyance of an extra 45 minutes of driving worth the "better" that that gym could be?

Jealous!
  • ocrXfitter
    ocrXfitter Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    My new gym is a mile east from my house. My old gym was a mile west. I'm at the gym at 4:45 am, so I like it closer to home.
  • ConquerAndBloom
    ConquerAndBloom Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    The gym I would technically use is a less than 5 minute drive, although my work schedule is so hectic that I can't justify paying for a gym membership until I'm consistently working out at home. If I can't find a way to fit it in at home, what makes me think I'm going to have the time to drive there and back on top of the workout?
  • southernfit29
    southernfit29 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm about 5 miles away! Makes it easy
  • JeanieWww
    JeanieWww Posts: 4,037 Member
    Options
    1-2 miles
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    I go to the YMCA and we have several in the area. I usually go to the one closest to me, which is 5 miles away. My youngest takes swim lessons there. My oldest is part of a swim team that practices at a YMCA near her school which is 12 miles away.

I'm half marathon training so once a week I drive to the state park to run the trails which is about 16 miles away. I also will drive to a nice park near my kids school to run just for a change in scenery.

With three kids that I have to drive to and from school (no buses), activities, lessons, working out... I feel like I'm always driving!
  • SarahMorganP
    SarahMorganP Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    It's in my living room. Before I bought my weights and squat rack I drove 15min to my gym and hated every single second I spent there. So happy I decided to get a home gym!
  • rugratz2015
    rugratz2015 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I live about 30 miles from my gym. There are closer gyms but I would go past this every night on the way home from work so it was an incentive to go in, plus it has a pool, the others don't, or are too expensive. I was made redundant last year but still drive up most weekdays to get my workout done. I hillwalk at the weekends, which usually involves an hours drive as I live in one of the flattest parts of Ireland. If i'm serious about something I will find the time and motivation.

HA where is that? westmeath or longford or somewhere?

I walk 30-35 mins each way to gym as I've only recently bothered to try to get a driving licence.

When going with boy, it's about 5 mins drive.

There are gyms much closer which I contemplated knowing I will be mostly walking, but as above they don't have pool, they are of varying quality, so for the slightly additional cost and time, it's well worth to go to this one where I have much greater choice and better quality.

Good guess! I live in rural Meath, so not far from Westmeath.

The minimum time I spend at the gym is an hour and a half so the commute is worth it, to me.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    I live about 1.5 miles from my gym. When I visit my parents, I have to drive 30+ minutes to get to a gym. Not sure if I would do that on a regular basis.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,634 Member
    Options
    4 miles. Lol, but I work there too!

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • ashxo12
    ashxo12 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    0! I work out at home and can fit it into my own schedule, which is so much better! :)
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    My gym (the only one in the neighbouring very small town) is 2km away, I either walk or run there and back, great way of warming up before I hit the rack (the 10% incline hill on the way back isn't very kind though)