Am I the only one who can't lose weight?!

Options
1234568»

Replies

• StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    My 2 cents worth: there is no perfect path, and there is no good or bad food. You're paying attention to your health & wellbeing, and that is a step closer to where you want to be than you were a month ago, right? So good for you!

Food is fuel. Its not good or bad. Our bodies need nutrients, need to feel satisfied - at least I personally do not cope well when I feel hungry! It may take a little trial and error to figure out what foods you should eat to feel satisfied on ~1500 calories a day. I've found that eating more lean meat/veggies helps a lot with that. Good luck, you can do this!
    To anyone saying get a food scale, I already ordered one and never thought or heard of that until you guys. Soooo the arguing can stop about it :) I'll take everyone's advise. Defintly didn't realize I was doing a *kitten* job and trying to lose weight. I for sure thought that if you totally cut all BAD foods that are bad for the heart you could lose weight if you ate strictly healthy. Which I thought I was doing. But obviously not measuring right. I'm new to this weight loss things so I'm not gonna be perfect. Everyone takes different strides, and learns as we go. So I guess this is a lesson learned and I'll start issuing a scale.

• firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    @gamerbabe14
    Hmmm, then I'll just cut out all fruits. Literally eat just chicken and drink protein shakes and only drink water, because that's all I freaking eat. I barely eat now. I never eat my full 1200 calories when I log it (so I think) but apparently I'm eating more. I feel like I'm starving myself. So I really don't feel like I'm eating that much. I went from eating 3k+ calories a day and cut that in half. Soooo... there should still be enough difference for me to lose. It's pissing me off.

You don't need to starve yourself to lose weight and you really do want to be eating your fruit and veg, if only for the fibre, vitamins and minerals. If you really are eating <1200 Calories than you'd be losing.
    Of course you can measure protein shakes, if you're making them up yourself weigh out a serving of the powder ready to add to your water or milk. Fruit and veg you can also weigh in fact there's very little you can't. Weigh solids and measure liquids it is a pain to start with but soon becomes second nature.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Maybe you have metabolic damage
    @cabellosdefuego
    A possibility perhaps in some cases, though not the first thought I had in this situation. I believe in this case learning how the process works was the change needed for her to fully understand how better to be prepared.

Metabolic damage was not on my mind in this situation after being part of thread and working with the OP as we have been.

Jasmine's gotten some great tips and has a really positive attitude after learning more on how it all works. Sure anything is possible but there are so many other factors involved here to make changes on before that would be the go to 'diagnosis' do you think? If you've read into the thread more you'll see the changes the OP is willing to make to work on changing her health/habits and wasn't doing before she posted here.

Check out the entire thread and see how it ends or maybe a better way to put it is "begins". ... as Paul Harvey used to say "and now...the rest of the Story." :wink:

I remember that part from the radio when my Dad had it on a million years ago so it stuck in my head! :D
  • firef1y72
    Options
    @jessiferrrb I'm well over 100 pounds over weight. I'm 5'2. I cut out all carbs except fruits and veggies. I eat chicken eggs and protein shakes and that's literally all I eat. I usually weigh myself 1 time a week but lately I been weighing myself every chance I get while in the bathroom and it's literally the same every time. But I do it at work so I'm fully clothed with shoes and it's in the middle of the day mostly when I weigh myself. I also have a desk job and only average 3k steps a day if I'm lucky, so that could be part of it. I been wondering what I could do for exercise since I have so much to lose I can't do much.

I think my diary is open, take a look back a few months to see what I was eating at 100lb+ overweight. I certainly didn't eat anywhere near as low as 1200 and I ate almost everything I ate before, just in smaller amounts. At 5'2" and 169lb MFP now has my base Calories at 1200 for 1.5lb/week loss, but once activity is included I get nearer 2000 to eat. Don't underestimate the value of simply getting off your bum and taking a walk round the office for a couple of minutes every hour or taking a half hour walk in your lunch break. The extra couple of hundred Calories can be a real deal breaker.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    @cabellosdefuego what does that mean?

You don't. This is nonsense.

I have hypothyroidism due to thyroid cancer resulting in a total thyroidectomy - had this for 14 years and put on about 70 pounds - not because of hypothyroidism, but because I stopped working out and had no clue how much I was eating. I found MFP in June 2104 and just followed the calorie recommendation and listened to the veterans that had been through this before. I lost 60 pounds in one year.

• firef1y72
    Options
    @Hearts_2015 thanks! I feel so confused on what the heck to do now. Lol. I believe I'm having so much issues because I'm "not weighing foods" condiments or anything, and I'm not active due to a desk job. And average about 3k steps a day if I'm lucky. Not sure what type of exercise I could do with having to lose over 100 pounds. Going to a gym is defintly NOT an option because I'll be judged. So I'd prefer to do at home videos. Possibly P90X. Not sure.

You could start with just walking. I was 270lb when I first stepped foot in a gym, and that's way over 100lb overweight. When I started I could barely manage to walk for 5mins on the treadmill so that's what I did, then I increased distance and speed until eventually I was running. I was still around 100lb overweight when I did my first 5k, took me an hour but I finished. I was over 200lb when I started attending high intensity classes, had to modify near enough every move, 30lb on and I can do almost everything without modding. Again was over 200lb when I started strength training, I managed to lift that 200lb for the first time last week. It's all about small steps and being motivated. I won't say you won't feel self-conscious because I still do during Zumba :) and I won't say it won't occasionally hurt because just lugging that 200lb+ around used to hurt.
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    @Hearts_2015 thanks! I feel so confused on what the heck to do now. Lol. I believe I'm having so much issues because I'm "not weighing foods" condiments or anything, and I'm not active due to a desk job. And average about 3k steps a day if I'm lucky. Not sure what type of exercise I could do with having to lose over 100 pounds. Going to a gym is defintly NOT an option because I'll be judged. So I'd prefer to do at home videos. Possibly P90X. Not sure.

You won't be judged at the gym (mostly). But you have no control over what people are thinking anyway. Most people I know are encouraging to those who are there to do what they need to do. I've never been to a gym that had only fit people in it. Not to mention that many of the fit people I met there were not when they started. It was why they started in the first place. I used to think the way you do, but then I realized that I was the one prejudging them. At least I could control that right?

Home videos also work, but if you have not been active, I don't recommend starting with P90X. I did that program 7 years ago and regret not getting in better shape before that. Now, after getting back in the game in February, I am in week 10 of P90 (without the X). It will ease you into it and prepare you for P90X later. You don't have to buy one over the other. They now have online version for about $90 that gives you access to everything for a year. [ETA - access to every program Beachbody does]

If you really want to go cheaper yet, I understand there are many options available on YouTube for free.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I so wish we would all remembered to read through the entire thread instead of commenting on it after reading only the OP. But I find I do it too... :#:blush: we get all excited to respond so we post. Then we realize the thread has gone in a different direction and much of what we said has then been shared numerous times... Not sure what the answer is... oh well. :laugh: Not pointing fingers to anyone particular.. just something I noticed more recently. :smiley:

Maybe you have metabolic damage
    already covered in above post..
    It means they didn't read much of the thread before they responded, or they would understand that is likely not the issue at hand.

There is nothing in your posts that suggests you have metabolic damage. That person is ignoring the fairly obvious solution (logging errors) to suggest something rare for which there isn't any evidence.
    I agree with @janejellyroll <~~~ & I always giggle at your user name..I've always loved it : :D
    emwehner wrote: »
    I think it's definitely worth checking in with your doctor.

I agree that getting a scale and weighing food is also a good idea, but even so, I think it's worth checking in with a good doctor.
    I agree, checking in with our doctor is always a healthy habit, for a general wellness checkup.

I know some members have shared about their flaky doctors that have given them wacky crazy advice. My GP is pretty awesome and knows me quite well, has never fat shamed me as some doctors do. Like that ever works right?! If your Dr. does maybe it's the not the healthiest fit for you. Fat shaming by ANYONE is so unhealthy & so wrong!

My doc & I are focusing on my fitness/health/having fun in life, building my self esteem/self confidence & me not obsessing on the scale. She's great about reminding me how far I've come when I get stuck in thinking I have more to do yet. For me the lbs. drop without much effort when I stay focused on staying positive in life and building my confidence and remembering the outside of me is not who I am, it's simply the body we currently live in.

So yes, I'm all for getting your doc on board and teaming up and having them as a positive force in your life. Also insurance plans, some, have got some great incentive programs for wellness now. If you drop some weight, alter your BMI, a number of things, you can receive reward points. Get a free gym membership, earn $'s for groceries, OTC medicine or baby/toddler needs such as diapers etc. I know some also offer individual training... definitely worth checking in with your insurance company or employer to see what they offer. Wellness seems to be the thing now with insurance...which is great.

Better they help ppl get healthy & stay healthy as the costs far less for the insurance co than waiting until someone becomes seriously!

<3 Jasmine... this'll happen for you, please try not to hate your body, you're a beautiful Girl both inside and out (as I've gotten to know you more!)

We would never say to a friend.. 'you're ugly & hate you because of your weight!'.

Why do we do that to ourselves, hate on our bodies when we're trying to get healthier?

We can all be kinder to ourselves.. we are SO WORTH IT! t4624.gif

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    @Hearts_2015 thank you!
  • hlblakeley
    hlblakeley Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    OP you sound like me. I'm 5'4" and started at 295 lbs. I have been working at this for about 6-8 months now (only using MFP regularly since December) and have lost 75 lbs. When I started my calorie goal was about 1600 because I was in a pretty active job and heavy. Now it's down to just over 1300 because I'm in a sedentary job (most days i'm lucky to get 2500 steps before work ends) and lighter. I eat the same things that I did before just smaller portions and make choices. If I want pizza I know that lunch is a going to be smaller. I have had trouble finding ways to exercise as well but I'm getting better. Walking is the biggest thing. That and playing wii fit with my kids. Sounds silly but it does get me moving and gets my heart rate up. Just remember to be honest with yourself about everything you eat. Logging it makes you acknowledge it and for me that's a big thing.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    @MomReborn yes! My work actually has a very nice gym downstairs. I honestly should do that on my 1 hour lunch. That would be the smart idea lol. That way I don't have to do it in the mornings or after work. That would be totally convenient . I just found out we had a gym at work! I think once I get my scale and actually be more precise on everything I eat, and start getting some work outs in, I'll be good! But I'm defintly coming into the MFP when I need advice. You guys all rock!!

I have worked out at lunch for over 10 years now. It's the way to go if you have access to one. ;)