What Do You Put in Your Egg Whites?

Options

Replies

• sarahmaryjane
    sarahmaryjane Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Yummy! Spinach, soyrizo (soy chorizo), reduced fat cheese, and garlic, garlic, garlic. I've also been experimenting with corn tortillas, green chile and salsa. I guess since I live in New Mexico, it's a given. ;)
  • luceegj
    luceegj Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    The yoke is jokes a bit old now!
  • mmkaye
    mmkaye Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I too use salsa, but I also love adding 1oz. cubed ham (35 cal) or 1 turkey sausage patty torn up (50 cal)
  • melissarae27
    Options
    Yolks. Seriously... why do people skip on this goodness?!

Cottage cheese mixed in with scrambled eggs is good!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I've discovered the advantages of eating egg whites. I use 4 egg whites and I've been putting in salsa (total calories = 72). I'm getting kind of burned out on salsa so I've gone to a half-ounce of shredded cheese (total calories = 123). What do you put in your egg whites?

The yolk that came with the egg always goes in too. (Unless I am making meringue, of course) Sometimes I add chopped meat/veggies, occasionally cheese. This morning I used green bell pepper, onion, spinach, arugula, Rotel, and cheese.
  • CycleGuy9000
    CycleGuy9000 Posts: 290
    Options
    OK, I should have said, "and I'd like to keep it to under 200 calories". Thank you all you wisenheimers that put yolks in your egg whites. That never would have occurred to me. BTW, from this point forward no one else needs to chime in with yolks. I am looking for a total calorie breakfast of under 300 calories (including juice). Yolks have 61 calories in them and I don't want 180-240 extra calories from the yolks of 3-4 eggs. I'd rather get these calories from somewhere else at some other meal.

Mushrooms and onions, sounds good.
    Spinach, sounds good
    Feta, yes, I can see it.
    Peppers, too bad I'm not a big fan of peppers.
    Ketchup, ummm...will try it.
    Srirracha sauce, will probably try it.
    Cottage cheese? Do you fold it in with the egg whites in the pan?
    Tomatoes, onion and spinach, sounds good, plus I have fresh tomatoes coming in the garden
    Broccoli, yeah, I could see it.
    Peanut butter and jelly? Ahhn no.
    Mashed bananas, well, I might try it.

200 calories:

one whole egg 78 cals
    one slice center cut oscar meyer bacon 23 cals
    Jalapeno Stew - Stewed Tomatos, Jalapenos, Onions, Garlic .25c 20 cals
    coffee with 1tsp coffee mate 20 cals

So far you have 59 calories left over to use
    -olive oil for cooking
    -OR moar bacons!

You don't have to listen to these yolkers lol, they like yolks and that's ok but you're better off without them, cut out the yolks and you can add more egg whites, 1 egg white has only 17 calories, 4 grams of protein, no fat, no cholesterol and half the sodium.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    200 calories:

one whole egg 78 cals

-olive oil for cooking
    -OR moar bacons!

Jalapeno stew sounds an awful lot like salsa. Your post just gave me and idea--Canadian Bacon. And I need more than 1 egg for breakfast. That's why I eat 4 egg whites.

reread it, I fixed it with more eggwhites added to the whole egg. Imagine that jalapeno salsa with egg yolk running all in it. You'll still be under 200 go back and read my edits. BTW i found that jalapeno stew when I was looking for tomato onion jalapeno combo which is what i like to make.

overall though I like to see different things on my plate rather than a scramble it makes me feel like I'm eating more plus I'm a purist I like tasting things individually a lot. so good luck dont be afraid of egg yolks, they're more scared of you than you are of them. :flowerforyou:
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    OK, I should have said, "and I'd like to keep it to under 200 calories". Thank you all you wisenheimers that put yolks in your egg whites. That never would have occurred to me. BTW, from this point forward no one else needs to chime in with yolks. I am looking for a total calorie breakfast of under 300 calories (including juice). Yolks have 61 calories in them and I don't want 180-240 extra calories from the yolks of 3-4 eggs. I'd rather get these calories from somewhere else at some other meal.

Spinach, sounds good
    Feta, yes, I can see it.
    Tomatoes, onion and spinach, sounds good, plus I have fresh tomatoes coming in the garden

200 calories:

one whole egg 78 cals

-olive oil for cooking
    -OR moar bacons!

You don't have to listen to these yolkers lol, they like yolks and that's ok but you're better off without them, cut out the yolks and you can add more egg whites, 1 egg white has only 17 calories, 4 grams of protein, no fat, no cholesterol and half the sodium.

59 leftover cals from my idea divided by 17 cals per egg white means he can add his 3 more egg whites and still meet his 200 cal goal. With eggs, a yolk, bacon, jalapenos, garlic, tomatoes, and onions, and coffee with creamer.

I think that's pretty damn good. Where do I pick up my award?
  • PBsMommy
    PBsMommy Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    "His research, published online in the journal Atherosclerosis, found that people who eat egg yolks regularly have about 2/3 as much plaque buildup as smokers."

http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/health/egg-yolks-bad-heart-smoking-cigarettes-study-article-1.1138536

Smoke'em while you got'em!

thank God for good dentists and dental insurance then.

:laugh:

Atherosclerosis is the hardening of, or plaque buildup, in the arteries. This article is talking about the plaque buildup in your heart, not your teeth.

To the OP I eat one whole egg with egg whites added almost every morning. Usually add either mushrooms and onions, a dash of cajun seasoning, some Texas Pete, spinach and tomatoes, soy sauce and veggies, or steak sauce and mushrooms.

:embarassed: D'oh!

Here I thought you were joking!

I didn't know if joking or serious... I just thought it was funny.... Of course I am laughing with you and not at you. :tongue: :flowerforyou:

Of course I don't really believe the article in it's entirety anyways.
  • teddabod
    teddabod Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    My finger... if it's the right temperature, then I NOM NOM NOM it...
  • brit__2006
    brit__2006 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    4 egg whites, and 2 tablespoons of diced green chilies, along with 1/8 cup of fat free cheddar cheese.

118 calories
    4g carbs
    0g fat
    23g protein

This is my favorite way to eat my egg whites.
  • CycleGuy9000
    CycleGuy9000 Posts: 290
    Options

Spinach, sounds good
    Feta, yes, I can see it.

200 calories:

one whole egg 78 cals

-olive oil for cooking
    -OR moar bacons!

59 leftover cals from my idea divided by 17 cals per egg white means he can add his 3 more egg whites and still meet his 200 cal goal. With eggs, a yolk, bacon, jalapenos, garlic, tomatoes, and onions, and coffee with creamer.

It's still less cals and more protein if you cut out the yolk, cut that sucker out and you can add 3 more egg whites Lol!

MOARRRRRRRRR PROTEIN!!!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    4 egg whites, and 2 tablespoons of diced green chilies, along with 1/8 cup of fat free cheddar cheese.

118 calories
    4g carbs
    0g fat
    23g protein

This is the one he's gonna choose. I just know it.

1) comes from a girl
    2) lots of veggies (mine has more though 1/4 cup)
    3) not a single demonic yolk
    4) I'm not even sure he can handle chile
    5) comes from a girl
    6) cheese. people who are afraid of yolks are notorious for loving cheese and think fat free kind is a reasonable sub.
    7) it has PRECISELY the number of egg whites he requests
    8) comes from a girl
  • tkillion810
    tkillion810 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Aside from all the savory options already given (veggies, spices, etc), I like to make mine sweet style.
    1. cook egg whites sprinkled with cinnamon on nonstick pan. meanwhile, in I microwave a chopped apple (also sprinkled with cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice) for 2 minutes. When the apple is done and egg whites are almost done, add the apple to the egg white and fold like an omelet or scramble. Apple can be replaced with baked sweet potato, roasted butternut squash, banana, or other fruits.
    2. make protein pancakes using egg whites, pumpkin, cinnamon, and quick cook oats. Mix together and pour on nonstick pan and cook like a pancake.
    3. Hard boil the eggs, discard the yolks and make egg salad
    4. Add egg whites to your regular bowl of oatmeal to bump up the protein
  • terriejones
    terriejones Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    An egg yolk!!!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Spinach, sounds good
    Feta, yes, I can see it.

200 calories:

one whole egg 78 cals

-olive oil for cooking
    -OR moar bacons!

There is more nutrition in the yolks than in the whites.

ETA: The fats in the yolk help your body absorb the protein in the whites. :wink:
  • monjacq1964
    monjacq1964 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    i suppose a pound of bacon wouldnt be a choice?
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options

Spinach, sounds good
    Feta, yes, I can see it.

200 calories:

one whole egg 78 cals

-olive oil for cooking
    -OR moar bacons!

It's still less cals and more protein if you cut out the yolk, cut that sucker out and you can add 3 more egg whites Lol!

MOARRRRRRRRR PROTEIN!!!

Yeah but I can at least eat it if it tastes good with the yolk and the jalapeno salsa or else I can't eat 7 plain egg whites. Give me ONE YOLK and salsa and I can eat it all...

MOARRRRRRRRRR PROTEIN!!!
  • sophayz
    sophayz Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    for breakfast i usually have 3 egg whites plus one full egg. along with some kale, tomato and avocado ( i was all out of avocado today :( ) and i drizzle it with sriracha sauce! yummm
  • brit__2006
    brit__2006 Posts: 201 Member
    Options

118 calories
    4g carbs
    0g fat
    23g protein

This is the one he's gonna choose. I just know it.

1) comes from a girl
    2) lots of veggies (mine has more though 1/4 cup)
    3) not a single demonic yolk
    4) I'm not even sure he can handle chile
    5) comes from a girl
    6) cheese. people who are afraid of yolks are notorious for loving cheese and think fat free kind is a reasonable sub.
    7) it has PRECISELY the number of egg whites he requests
    8) comes from a girl

Depending on how you want your macros to come out, fat free is a reasonable sub.
    Just saying...