I am starting a fast...any stories or tips?

Options

Replies

• MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    If you don't have self-control before a fast, you probably won't have self-control after a fast.

..which kind of defeats the second of the two purposes given by the OP.
    Exactly. A fast should be done for the right reasons, with knowledge.
  • HiKaren
    HiKaren Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    You would learn greater Willpower by making yourself stick to a reasonable liveable plan. Whats wrong with using Willpower to stick to a good plan?

With major food groups, a eating time schedule, lots of water, and 30 mins at least per day of exercise.
    (Now that takes lots of willpower)
  • ayalowich
    ayalowich Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I have to believe this is correct. People don't just stop sharing stories.
  • Alpina483
    Alpina483 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    So we all agree she should not be doing this?... Hey, it only took five pages. Win!
  • spaceylacey
    Options
    okay....so what about a cayenne detox that is ten days?
  • RobynLB83
    RobynLB83 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    You should really try the 5 day cocaine fast. RIDE THE SNAKE!!!
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options

Could try random-*kitten* things, or you could log your food and eat at a sustainable deficit while exercising.
  • craig_80
    craig_80 Posts: 2
    Options

There's quite a bit of valid scientific literature on dieting, there's even some on these detox diets. The consensus on detox dieting is they are pure junk. Personally I'd go with the diet that is most widely accepted as being effective and healthy by dieticians and scientists. You start by maintaining a moderate daily calorie deficit of between 500 and 1000 calories per day.
  • dirty_dirty_eater
    dirty_dirty_eater Posts: 574 Member
    Options

I don't think you're getting the gist of why there is so much opposition to fasting. It's not just that fasting will not work, it's that the only thing that WILL work is regular, long term behavior change. Take in fewer calories and/or exercise more.

The rest is hooey. Some if it dangerous and stupid hooey. Cayenne detoxes included.
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options

How about good balanced diet and exercise?
  • Janice2Shakira
    Options
    You should really try the 5 day cocaine fast. RIDE THE SNAKE!!!
  • wannabhealthy50
    wannabhealthy50 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    It's sad to say but it seems like you are determined to do something that is simply not healthy. I wish you the best!
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options

OP, if you are not the brilliant troll i now believe you to be, and this is a sincere question...
    tumblr_m6pid35QyH1rqfhi2o1_400.gif
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options

OP, if you are not the brilliant troll i now believe you to be, and this is a sincere question...
    tumblr_m6pid35QyH1rqfhi2o1_400.gif
    Brilliant? Not sure. Troll? Pretty sure. lol
  • Pangea250
    Pangea250 Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    My advice would be to go search for all the advice given to other people about fasting. Fasting, unless for religious or medical reasons, is just not a good idea.
  • villamaravilla
    Options
    its awesome but I im not sure if you mean intermittent fastin or just not eating at all iif its the later then no its not healthy now intermittent fastin is not a diet it just a window to take in al your calories during the day, I personally love it and has worked great for me especially if your goal is to lose fat and maintain lean muscle. I fast 7 days a week from noon to 5, after the 3rd day it becomes super easy ! Good Luck!:smile:

p.s. heres the best website if you need more info I have no idea if anyone has given it to you yet but here it is www.leangains.com
  • rainunrefined
    rainunrefined Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I think doing stuff ike fasting is probably part of the reason you are yo-yo ing. Starving yourself is probably going to lead you to a binge later. Reducing calories from your TDEE and exercising is going to help you a lot more in the long run. Does it take longer to come off? Absolutely. But it's a lot easier to maintain that type of weight loss.

This! ^^^
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options

lol
  • Fvaisey
    Fvaisey Posts: 5,506 Member
    Options
    I have fasted quite a few times, most often single days, a number of times for 3 days and a few 5 day fasts. I felt they were beneficial, that they did exercise my self control and also seemed to clear my mind. If you fast for 3 days or more you might find your bowels need a day or two to get used to solid food. Be sure to drink plenty of water. If you feel you really need something yet don't want to stop fasting, try some bullion.

I don't think it's a good weight loss strategy, however I do believe it's good for you. I've never tried restricting my eating to certain periods of the day and so don't have anything to contribute on that topic.
  • enekomh
    enekomh Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    If you fast, the first thing you're going to lose is water which means muscle. Fat will begin to burn later on, but hold on, because if you do too much fasting, your body will change to starvation mode which will basically slow down your metabolism. This won't happen overnight but neither will you lose fat in that time. The worst thing about going into starvation, apart from the fact that it's unhealthy, is that when you stop fasting your body will not believe you're back into normal state and it will keep all the fat it can in order to survive (remember, your body doesn't care about your looks, it cares about your survival) and that's when you fall into the rebound effect but with another problem, you've already lost most of your muscle.