Exercising but no results

Options
124»

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    makingmark wrote: »
    Last line of OP was "I don't feel any fitter" This whole thing has gone off on a tangent, some of it is somewhat relevant because losing weight will certainly help to being fitter, but seven weeks of training certainly should show some progress if the training was intense enough.

One thing I see a lot at the gym is people who are "training" that barely break a sweat and never really get to a point where they are breathing hard. If that is what is happening it is going to take a long time to actually see results. Does OP have muscle soreness after training? Is he/she pushing it in training sessions would be my question. You don't have to push until you puke, but you do have to challenge your body towards a point of failure to actually make some improvements. Learn to like a little discomfort and you may see some improvement.

you don't need to be sweating or have muscle soreness for it to be working...
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    And omg a calorie is a calorie. Ok.
    That's not what you originally said. Re-read your first post. And then you replied "You have a lot to learn" to somebody who stated that a calorie is simply a unit of measure.

My point was nutritional value in the calorie.
    That's an entirely different discussion which moves the goalposts from your original statement. Speaking purely in terms of weight loss, calories are all that matter. When taking overall health, proper nutrition, body composition and workout performance into consideration, the context changes.

I disagree. If you're eating breads and mcdonalds and a bunch of candy (which is all over the OP's diary) you may not feel like being as active and may not have as good of a performance while active as you would if you ate better. Yes, calorie deficit is what matters! But, there are a lot of other things that tie into weightloss in general.

Even though this wasn't the original point you made, I think there is value and relevance here. I find that if I eat a day of foods that are higher in sugar, fried foods, etc, than I normally do, I tend to feel sleepy and less active. So, yes, I can see how that would contribute to the CICO equation in that sense, at least.
    Not that there is anything wrong with eating those things.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Last line of OP was "I don't feel any fitter" This whole thing has gone off on a tangent, some of it is somewhat relevant because losing weight will certainly help to being fitter, but seven weeks of training certainly should show some progress if the training was intense enough.

One thing I see a lot at the gym is people who are "training" that barely break a sweat and never really get to a point where they are breathing hard. If that is what is happening it is going to take a long time to actually see results. Does OP have muscle soreness after training? Is he/she pushing it in training sessions would be my question. You don't have to push until you puke, but you do have to challenge your body towards a point of failure to actually make some improvements. Learn to like a little discomfort and you may see some improvement.

I don't usually sweat much at all in the gym while lifting weights and rarely get muscle soreness anymore. Yet I've seen plenty of very positive results from those workouts. I sweat by the bucketful when doing cardio, though.

OTOH, I'm sure I could design some ridiculously ineffective weight program that would make me sweat like crazy, but have virtually no visible results. Strength training has to be effective, but effectiveness has nothing to do with how much you sweat or how hard you breathe.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    That's not what you originally said. Re-read your first post. And then you replied "You have a lot to learn" to somebody who stated that a calorie is simply a unit of measure.

That's an entirely different discussion which moves the goalposts from your original statement. Speaking purely in terms of weight loss, calories are all that matter. When taking overall health, proper nutrition, body composition and workout performance into consideration, the context changes.

I disagree. If you're eating breads and mcdonalds and a bunch of candy (which is all over the OP's diary) you may not feel like being as active and may not have as good of a performance while active as you would if you ate better. Yes, calorie deficit is what matters! But, there are a lot of other things that tie into weightloss in general.

Even though this wasn't the original point you made, I think there is value and relevance here. I find that if I eat a day of foods that are higher in sugar, fried foods, etc, than I normally do, I tend to feel sleepy and less active. So, yes, I can see how that would contribute to the CICO equation in that sense, at least.

It contributes in that your NEAT may decrease if you feel more sluggish, but doesn't change the fact that you still have to eat less than you expend in order to lose weight. It's just that now the numbers in the equation might be slightly different.
  • Darrenmh316
    Darrenmh316 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5 33yo male. Sorry I've caused a bit of an argument!

People are looking at the last 4 or 5 days which have been when I've been de motivated and it's also been Easter.

If you look past that I was averaging around the 1800 calorie mark but I do admit I'm probably not being as strict as I really should be. Im probably using the fact that I'm exercising as an excuse for not being that strict which is obviously not working for me.

I'm going to adjust my calorie limit to 1500 and stick to it regardless of exercise I think.

I definitely sweat at the gym by the way!!!
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Well...there has been an ongoing debate on here for the 6 years i've been here that a calorie is a calorie. And if you are eating within your range you are good. I can tell you for a fact that is NOT true. I looked back at your diary and to be honest, i would say not feeling better and no results is coming from your eating. I am from USA and you have some different foods logged that i dont know, but eating bread and jam for breakfast and cheeseburgers and candy etc is not going to get you results. 80% of results come from food! Clean up your diet. More grains, eggs, tuna and fruits and veggies and you WILL see results i guarantee it. Try some homemade salads with a protein or two and lots of veggies with homemade dressings, oatmeal instead of bread and biscuits in the morning, low calorie cheese stick and a hardboiled egg to replace the yogurts, add avocado into your diet, etc. Hope this helps.

A calorie is a unit of energy, and yes a calorie is a calorie is a calorie.

You have a lot to learn.

Really? Tell me the definition of "calorie" and why @crazyycatlady1 is wrong?

Read up on the professor who did the Twinkie diet.

I can guarantee you that she is 100% correct. A calorie is a unit of measure, just like an inch is an inch, or a pound is a pound. Calories are calories. Calories are not nutrition.

Hey, I'm down over 100lbs and kept it off, read scientific studies and physiology, have a Dietitian as well, but what would I know? :lol:

My dietitian recommends a balanced diet. And yes, I eat ice cream, burgers and chocolate, but I pay attention to nutrition too. I lift, jog, walk and kickbox... blood markers are perfect.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

I don't usually sweat much at all in the gym while lifting weights and rarely get muscle soreness anymore. Yet I've seen plenty of very positive results from those workouts. I sweat by the bucketful when doing cardio, though.

OTOH, I'm sure I could design some ridiculously ineffective weight program that would make me sweat like crazy, but have virtually no visible results. Strength training has to be effective, but effectiveness has nothing to do with how much you sweat or how hard you breathe.

you could call it Hott HIIT..oh wait..
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options

But, he also talked about over quality and how he's feeling which doesn't come from eating cheeseburgers!

How is that different from the ground beef and cheese in your diary? Same ingredients there, unless you're eating unicorns.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5 33yo male. Sorry I've caused a bit of an argument!

People are looking at the last 4 or 5 days which have been when I've been de motivated and it's also been Easter.

If you look past that I was averaging around the 1800 calorie mark but I do admit I'm probably not being as strict as I really should be. Im probably using the fact that I'm exercising as an excuse for not being that strict which is obviously not working for me.

I'm going to adjust my calorie limit to 1500 and stick to it regardless of exercise I think.

I definitely sweat at the gym by the way!!!

Meh, the discussions happen all the time. If you get the food scale and stick to the 1800 plus 50-75% exercise cals, I bet it would work just fine. FTR, I'm 5'2" and a bit older than you, and female, and lose on 1600 as long as I work out. No point in making it harder on yourself than it has to be. You want to make sure you are fueling the workouts. Read the link on accurate logging.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    A_Rene86 wrote: »
    Well...there has been an ongoing debate on here for the 6 years i've been here that a calorie is a calorie. And if you are eating within your range you are good. I can tell you for a fact that is NOT true. I looked back at your diary and to be honest, i would say not feeling better and no results is coming from your eating. I am from USA and you have some different foods logged that i dont know, but eating bread and jam for breakfast and cheeseburgers and candy etc is not going to get you results. 80% of results come from food! Clean up your diet. More grains, eggs, tuna and fruits and veggies and you WILL see results i guarantee it. Try some homemade salads with a protein or two and lots of veggies with homemade dressings, oatmeal instead of bread and biscuits in the morning, low calorie cheese stick and a hardboiled egg to replace the yogurts, add avocado into your diet, etc. Hope this helps.

Hey lady, see this part where you say you can tell him for a fact that it's not true that eating within his range is enough? This is the problem. I don't see anything in that statement that suggests you understand that deficit is all that matters for weight loss.

Nutrition is huge for weight loss! He said in 50 days he saw no results. My nutrition differed from his and i had less activity than he did and lost 13 pounds in less than his 50 days. So, yeah it has something to do with it. I never once said he doesn't need a deficit. Show me where i said he doesn't need a deficit? i have not once argued you don't need a deficit. But, he also talked about over quality and how he's feeling which doesn't come from eating cheeseburgers!

why not a cheeseburger, it's got carbs, protein, fats...can be very lean beef, add in Aged cheddar, lettuce tomato, avocado mayo some bacon...nom nom...

There isn't anything wrong with it. But, i think i mentioned that, because (and i dont know if i am remembering totally correctly) there was a day he logged like 2 double cheeseburgers from a fast food place or something and that caught my eye. That is very different than the cheeseburger you mentioned or one made at home.

not really the one I mentioned at home has more calories, higher fat content etc.

My point is that it's not the food for weight loss as you have commented...

Nutrition is for health...had nothing to do with weight loss...directly.

a calorie is a calorie regardless of where it comes from but yes nutrionally dense foods make it easier to stick to that deficit but isn't required.

Have a hard time following. 2 double cheeseburgers (which is what i originally mentioned) from Mcdonalds (i dont remember where his were from) is 840 calories. And you dont even know what's in it. There are talks its not real meat etc. I calculated a 1/3 pound burger on a bun with the toppings you said (no bacon) and it comes to 435 calories. How is that not less? Also, from my original answer it was mainly based around nutrition. You may be right with a deficit (again i NEVER once argued the deficit point), but when have you ever heard of someone 400 pounds stuffing their faces with double cheeseburgers saying they feel as good as someone who eats clean and does yoga? Yes, his problem is deficit, but better nutrition would no doubt help him with feeling results like he was saying he doesnt notice any difference in feeling, etc

ah a double cheeseburger from Mickey dees has 282 calories, 16 grams of protein ....and it is real meat...at least in Canada...

so 2 are 564 calories...32 protein...put them together without the 2nd bun and bam...464...32 protein.

Nutrition is for health not weight loss...clean eating is a misnomer

as well as long as people are meeting their goals how do you know how they feel...if you lose the weight, get bp down to where is needs to be along with other blood work I suspect you would feel fine and that happens with "crap" food as you call it...

nutrition is different from weight loss but a calorie in a cheese burger from Mickey dees is not different from a calorie in a homemade cheeseburger and neither is the nutrition to be franks and I personally know it.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

Not that there is anything wrong with eating those things.

possibly not if that is what you are used to eating.

I know I watch people who eat like that all the time and they workout as much as me...

I can eat fried foods etc and feel fine but I can't do it everyday.