May 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    ...when a group of bonkers trail running race organisers...
    I didn't realize there were any other kinds! :smiley:
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    @ctlaws44 - If you are not into training plans, I wouldn't sweat it. I think us runners tend to get too bogged down in numbers sometimes. If a training plan says 3E/3T/3E, just take that as run easy for a bit then run hard then run easy again. It's going to have the same effect whether you hit your exact pace and time or not. I don't pinpoint any of my runs. Also, in the height of marathon training, I usually have several runs where I just go out without my Garmin and run for as long as I feel like running. It helps me to gauge the source of my burnout. If I go out that way and end up running long, it's usually mental fatigue. If I still don't feel it, it tells me that cutting it short is what my body needs. Sometimes it's good to get out of our own heads.

@_nikkiwolf_ - Oh no, sorry to hear that your knee is acting up right before your big event. I can sympathize completely. Don't push it if you aren't feeling it on race day. There will be other marathons. You have to decide what is best for you in the long run. I would give it the proper rest and re-evaluate on Saturday. Is there another marathon you could defer to?

@Elise4270 - Hope you are feeling better. I have to admit, I wasn't sure whether to laugh or cry for you when I read that post.
  • lporter229
    Options
    Tracking my monthly "non-running" progress for accountability:

May 1 -P90X3 Total Synergistics + 20 minutes stretching and foam rolling
    May 2- P90X3 Agility+ 45 minutes stationary bike at gym (rolling hills, level 7)
    May 3- Swimming laps 25 minutes (500M)+P90X3 yoga (25 min) + 20 minutes stretching hamstrings
    May 4-25 minutes yoga/stretching+ 20 minute strength training + another 10 minutes stretching
    May 5- Swimming laps 25 minutes (600M)

I swam again this morning. I was completely bummed to discover that the pool at my gym is only 25M, not 50M, so I only swam half as far as I thought. Although today I made it an extra 2 laps, so progress. But man, I have a long ways to go!

I also had a fitness evaluation with the trainer at the gym last night. I knew it was going to be a sales pitch for hiring a personal trainer, but it was kind of fun. I am actually thinking of purchasing a few sessions with a trainer. He was trying to sell me a plan that would commit me for 2 sessions a week for 6 months to a year. I told him I don't need that type of thing, but I might be interested if he could sell me just a few individual sessions to help get me started on a strength training plan. He is supposed to call me back today. I am still wondering if it would be worth it. It would be about $50 per session. I like the idea of having somebody show me proper form and all that. I am just a bit worried that they have these canned programs that are mostly geared towards people that are seeking to lose weight, which is not at all what I want. Does anyone have any experience with a personal trainer or any advice in this area?
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »

@Elise4270 - Hope you are feeling better. I have to admit, I wasn't sure whether to laugh or cry for you when I read that post.

Definitely laugh. DH was worried. I think that's that first one I've had like that with him. I did send my PCP an email in case he thinks I should follow up. I think it so entertaining... I know it'll pass.

My co-workers brought cinnamon rolls... Sugar it's good post migraine.
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    Hi guys! I have an acquaintance who is looking into virtual 5ks. I've never done any virtual races but was wondering if anyone here had any favorites that I could share with her? Thank you!!!

I've done a few virtual races. My favorite so far was the Beat the Blerch 5k (you can also do 10k, HM or full). http://www.beattheblerch.com

Here are a few other sites for finding virtual races:
    https://www.virtualstrides.com/races/
    http://www.virtualrunevents.com/
    Or just Google "virtual races" and it'll bring up a whole bunch of stuff.

Thanks for this!
  • hesfeld
    hesfeld Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    @lporter229 the gym I just joined included a "30-day wellness coach". It's an assessment/orientation to the gym and 2 follow up training sessions. I know it will come with the pitch at the end to buy sessions and I almost said no to it. I am glad I didn't because like @WhatMeRunning said, I may gain some valuable knowledge or overlook parts of the gym I would normally shy away from. I used to work in a gym and know how the sales pitches are pushed strongly for building clientele, but they also understand if money is an issue.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270 - Hang in there, and be patient. Dealing with physical issues that keep you from running as you'd like is frustrating, but it's SO worth it to do it right.

@lporter229 - I've heard mixed reviews on the value of personal trainers. I suspect it's important that the particular trainer and program you get are a good fit for you. If you know what you're looking to learn, and it appears they can teach it to you, it can be worth it. Disclaimer: I learned weight lifting form from internet sources, practicing alone, and it's been good enough. I learned about targeting areas that aren't obvious (i.e., strength training to support running) by getting injured and having a physical therapist give me exercises for my specific needs. The PT also got me to stop doing some things (e.g., deadlifts) and encouraged me to expand on other things I was already doing (e.g., weighted calf raises on a step). I don't think a fitness trainer would benefit me as much as the PT did, but it took injury to get me into the PT. That, and it was around $65 per session with the PT, not just $50. OTOH, there was a guy I saw at the PT's office doing stuff I couldn't believe was assigned for recovery, such as plyometric moves. I asked, and it turned out he wasn't hurt, he was just paying her for use of the equipment and suggestions on stuff he could try. As the PT put it, "There's nothing wrong with him that insurance would pay for."

@wishiwasarunner - Recovery from a marathon is a Big Deal. I started back at least a day sooner than most experienced runners I know, but even then didn't add speed work for another week after my first 2 mile recovery run. My coach tells me it takes 3 to 4 weeks to fully recover from a marathon, and the trick is not to push so hard in that time frame that you injure yourself. So give yourself a break on taking a while to come back; that may be just what your body needed.

Marathons are not for everyone. After I failed to complete the Rochester Marathon last September, I would have said I was totally done with marathons except I was already registered for Boston. But Boston recovery is going very well indeed, so now I think I can run more marathons in the future. Just trying to run each one a little smarter than the last one.
  • Elise4270
    edited May 2017
    Options
    @lporter229 my son used a personal trainer for about 6 weeks to help push him to get ready for the army. He enjoyed it, it kept him accountable and was free with our free gym. They did CrossFit type stuff.

DH payed for a personal trainer at a not free gym. He didn't feel that he got much out of it. The guy was lazy and DH had to always hunt the guy down say "okay, now what"... they did just weights, no cardio. The guy didn't believe in cardio. :worried:

My best advice would be to do one session and see how that goes. Like you said, it may be designed for weight loss, not adress running strength.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @wishiwasarunner on the marathon recovery thing... I haven't run one yet, but I will soon. But, I will say, don't be me, I'm already registered for a second marathon and a 50k this year, and there's only 18 weeks between my first marathon and the 50k. So my plan is a week of zero running, and then a week of easy training to get back into things, then start in on 50k training and use the second marathon as a training run for the 50k. Like I said, don't be me, I'm WAY CRAZIER than most of the responsible folks in this group, so rather than saying just a here's what I'm planning, I'm saying don't be me......
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    ARGH! I left my Garmin at home on the charger. I realized I wasn't wearing it when I went for my morning walk around the atrium in my work building. And now it's causing me a lot of anxiety not having it on! My step count and daily mileage is now off because of this. I know it shouldn't be that big of a deal, but for someone who tracks numbers as diligently as I do, this is a huge problem.

So now I am seriously considering driving all the way back home on my lunch break to go get it. Because if I don't, I won't be able to stop thinking about it all day and getting all anxious about it. This sucks.

Does anyone else have this problem? This is the first time I've ever forgotten to put it back on. Hard to believe since I've had it since last October.
  • lporter229
    Options
    @wishiwasarunner - It is not uncommon to feel unmotivated or have a running "slump" after a marathon. I usually have at least a month of unstructured, easy running after a marathon that I trained hard for. Your body needs it, as does your mind. Right now your focus should be letting your body recovery, reconnecting with everything you love about running and enjoying your huge accomplishment!
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,815 Member
    Options

5/2-3 miles
    5/5-2 miles

Total-5/65miles

Had 2 runs planned yesterday, one after work with my running friend, but she cancelled on me, and one after taking my son to scouts, I was going to drop him off, and do this orientation thing that was only suppose to last 3 minutes which would have given me about 45 minutes to run, but instead it lasted an hour and then I had to fill out paper work, I was very angry, ugh.

So this morning I set my alarm for 430 to get up and run, well 5 minutes before that went off, my 2 year old started whining, so I finally got on the treadmill at 530am, which gave me enough time to run 2 miles before I had to get ready for work. Im so annoyed, the running gods are not on my side this week, BUT I work a graveyard tonight and get off at 7, I will be running before I go home, so hopefully will get 6 miles in tomorrow.

exercise.png
  • Elise4270
    Options
    ARGH! I left my Garmin at home on the charger. I realized I wasn't wearing it when I went for my morning walk around the atrium in my work building. And now it's causing me a lot of anxiety not having it on! My step count and daily mileage is now off because of this. I know it shouldn't be that big of a deal, but for someone who tracks numbers as diligently as I do, this is a huge problem.

So now I am seriously considering driving all the way back home on my lunch break to go get it. Because if I don't, I won't be able to stop thinking about it all day and getting all anxious about it. This sucks.

Does anyone else have this problem? This is the first time I've ever forgotten to put it back on. Hard to believe since I've had it since last October.

Mine inadvertently got started the other day and died before I got to run. You can use the Strava app instead.
  • RespectTheKitty
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »

Mine inadvertently got started the other day and died before I got to run. You can use the Strava app instead.

Strava! Why didn't I think of that?! I can just track my mileage with that, and estimate my step count based on mileage. Of course, it won't count all the random steps I take in between places, but I think I can live with that for one day.

@Elise4270 you are a genius, even if you can't think of words when you have a migraine. :smile:

Edit: Huzzah! I also forgot I have Google Fit on my phone, which has a step tracker. As long as I keep my phone on me I should have a semi-accurate step count for the day.
  • Elise4270
    edited May 2017
    Options

Strava! Why didn't I think of that?! I can just track my mileage with that, and estimate my step count based on mileage. Of course, it won't count all the random steps I take in between places, but I think I can live with that for one day.

@Elise4270 you are a genius, even if you can't think of words when you have a migraine. :smile:

Thanks! I always remember Strava half way through a run and think "doh". Which, I believe doh is a German reference. I was teaching myself German for a wile. :wink: hey- sounds right--> w-i-l-e

Doh is what u say when u correct yourself
  • RespectTheKitty
    Options

Thanks! I always remember Strava half way through a run and think "doh". Which, I believe doh is a German reference. I was teaching myself German for a wile. :wink: hey- sounds right--> w-i-l-e

Doh is what u say when u correct yourself

Doh, a deer, a female deer....

• mustb60
    mustb60 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Finally back to the routine. Started with an easy run. Weather is not much favourable at day time so would be running at the night mostly.

May Running Challenge
    Goal: 100 km
    Done: 3/100

5/5/17 3 km