May 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @honunui thanks for the Aim at Melanoma link - my bestfriend died from melanoma when she was 27 because a doctor never sent a mole he removed to the lab. He told her, if you don't hear from me it's all okay. I always tells doctors, call me either way and let me know. I'll have to check that one out.
    @katiejane83 the one thing I would say about virtual races to to check them out first. Many of them say they are for a charity when in reality a very small amount goes to the charity.
    @runtimer what a beautiful view to run with
    @shanaber how was spin class? Enjoy your visit
    @_nikkiwolf_ sorry about the knee hope it's feeling better soon!
    @ctlaws77 with that downhill elevation perhaps you should wear roller skates instead of running shoes
    @kristinegift glad the back is better, I love chiropractors.
    @mobycarp you cracked me up - rest day feeling twinges, signed up for more races. ha ha!
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    @KeepRunningFatboy - Good luck at the Flying Pig on Sunday! Is anyone else here running it? I will be there as a cheerleader!
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,410 Member
    Options
    HonuNui wrote: »
    May goal: wear sunblock
    HonuNui wrote: »
    May goal: wear sunblock

@HonuNui This is such a good goal and a very timely reminder for us Northern Hemisphere folks. I forget to wear sunblock for a majority of the summer and that's a habit I seriously need to break. Sun safety is important for us outdoorsy running folk!

Please excuse my maudlin guilt trip, but the photo below is probably one of the reasons my son died at age 39 of melanoma: this was in Arizona....in August....at 100+ degrees....and was followed by a severe sunburn.
    Wear your sunblock....

@HonuNui - I got fried as a child to the point of having scars on my back from the burns. I have been diligent with sunscreen for myself and my daughter but still worry about my back. My father also had melanoma which makes me even more concerned... long and short of it... wear your sunscreen and get checked regularly, especially those areas you can't see like your back, neck, back of your legs and your head!
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    @HonuNui - No excuse necessary! Your reminders are great and what we all need.
    @girlinahat - Good luck in your first HM! Have fun!
    @skippygirlsmom - 8k / 5 mile races are great! Sadly, they are virtually non-existent where I live.
    @kristinegift - Glad the chiro helped!
  • skippygirlsmom
    edited May 2017
    Options
    @karllundy I really like that distance too. This was one of the only for a long time, I'm starting to see more and more pop up.
    @7lenny7 did I miss your race report somewhere?
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    May 1- Rest
    May 2- 14.2
    May 3- Rest
    May 4- 14.5
    May 5- 18.8

47.5/300km

• tloliphant
    tloliphant Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    tloliphant wrote: »
    tloliphant wrote: »
    I'm in!
    5/2 5.52 miles
    5/3 5.0 miles
    5/4 5.86 miles
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    @RespectTheKitty - your knee/glute pain could definitely be related to your hip issue. It is all part of the chain and an issue in one part can cause you to change your form, even slightly, that can impact you further along the chain.

Yeah, I was worried about that. I do think the hip pain was causing me to alter my form a bit, and coming back from the injury I was nervous about it so that also could have caused me to alter my form. As it stands right now, I still felt the tightness in my hamstring during my lunch hike although it wasn't anything I couldn't live with. I'm just gonna foam roll the *kitten* out of it when I get home tonight.
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    @HonuNui Thank you so much for those links I will pass them along!

@skippygirlsmom And thank you for that! As I've never looked into them before, that's not something I would have thought of, but I will pass that consideration onto my acquaintance!
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    5/1 - rest
    5/2 - 6 miles
    5/3 - 4.15 miles (track workout)
    5/4 - 3 miles recovery

May Total: 13.15/170

503.15 miles/2,017 miles - goal for the year

Last night was just a short recovery run. I'm in the first of two taper weeks so it's really weird having such short runs back in my schedule, lol.

Supposed to do 9 miles tonight but I really just don't think I'm feeling it today. It's been gray all day, I'm tired, it was a long week, and if it's still raining I'd end up on the dreadmill. So I think I'll save it to tomorrow, after a good night's sleep, and after zumba class. I also think my legs could use the extra break, because while yesterday was a short recovery run I also did a zumba class, and the day before that was my track workout.
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    May Running Challenge

5/1: 8.69 miles biking, Strength training
    5/2: 4.1 mile run
    5/3: 5.2 mile run
    5/4: Strength, 6.4 mile trail run

Goals:
    Running: 15.7 / 100
    Cycling: 8.69 / 60

Upcoming Races:

Chicago Spring Half Marathon: May 21 (Registered)
    Run the Rails 5K June 3 (Tentative)
    XTERRA Jurassic Trail Run (HM at night) Jul 8 (Tentative)
    La Sportiva Vail Half Marathon: Jul 22 (Tentative)
    Milwaukee Lakefront Marathon: Oct 1 (Tentative)
    POOP Trail Run (HM) Dec 2

Went on my 1st trail run since straining my calf, and it went well. I took it very slow. My calf did bark at me going up one of the steeper hills which reminded me to use my glutes. My calf was happy the rest of the run. Only saw 1 armadillo butt. I was glad I survived 500’ of elevation gain in a 6.4 mile run. The 5 mile run in my neighborhood has 56’ of gain. My plan is to work in trail running more gradually so I don't get hurt and I'm ready for my trail races in July.

I found a Chi Running Clinic in Dallas coming up. A gait analysis is included so I'm thinking about signing up hoping to find out what I might be doing wrong and fix it.

Hope everyone has a great Cinco de Mayo! B) Hubby and I had Tex Mex for lunch and I'm officially stuffed, needing a nap. Better get a cup of coffee!! Lol
  • skippygirlsmom
    Options
    @shanaber sounds like fun, kinda, sorta, not really ha ha! I've always wanted try a class it sounds crazy. Going back tomorrow huh? You crazy gal!

@katiejane83 you're welcome. I've looked at them from time to time because I like the medal bling and it's something Skip and I can do together where she won't leave me in the dust. Sometimes only 10% of the fee goes t the charity.
  • skippygirlsmom
    Options
    Have you all been following the Nike break the 2 hour marathon barrier. Crazy

http://running.competitor.com/2017/05/news/watch-nike-attempt-to-break-the-2-hour-marathon-barrier_164218
  • skippygirlsmom
    Options
    It's a rest day.

My employer announced a few weeks ago about a Half Marathon they wanted to do with employees, including a training plan for anyone new to running or new to that distance. They offered discounts to the Garmin HM which prompted me to run it. Then I found out the target event was the San Francisco Half (1st half) and figured there was no chance in hell I was going to convince my wife to allow me to purchase travel, hotel, all that just to run a HM that far away knowing I would not take the family with due to how expensive that would quickly become.

Did I mention today is a rest day?

So today my employer sent more info. In it they said that they cover the race registration, one night hotel stay, and up to $300 airfare.

My wife is not home to discuss this change of details...

I am trying so hard not to sign up...

...must resist...

wow that is hard to resist
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    5/1 5.5mi 53:51min (interval run)
    5/2 5mi 44:35min
    5/3 rest
    5/4 5mi 44:20min
    5/5 4mi 37:27min

Did my 4 miles on the treadmill this morning due to severe thunderstorms and tornado warnings. Crazy weather we've been having this spring.

Tomorrow I have 11 miles on the docket. Normally I'd run on the trails, but I'm worried it's going to be a muddy mess from drenching rains today. I'm going to run an 11 mile route near my house instead. It'll be a run around a really big block!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    It's a rest day.

My employer announced a few weeks ago about a Half Marathon they wanted to do with employees, including a training plan for anyone new to running or new to that distance. They offered discounts to the Garmin HM which prompted me to run it. Then I found out the target event was the San Francisco Half (1st half) and figured there was no chance in hell I was going to convince my wife to allow me to purchase travel, hotel, all that just to run a HM that far away knowing I would not take the family with due to how expensive that would quickly become.

So today my employer sent more info. In it they said that they cover the race registration, one night hotel stay, and up to $300 airfare.

...must resist...

But if you sign up- you are out nothing if she vetoes it, right?
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Any one planning on following the race?

I would like too.. but it looks like it'll be 11PM and i'm (usually ) too old to be up that late. I'm rooting for Lelisa Desisa. If anyone remembers I had my profile pic as him crossing the finish in the Olympics with his arms crossed over his head. oh wait--- that was Feyisa Lilesa also from adidis ababa.. GO Kipchoge!
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    It's a rest day.

...must resist...

But if you sign up- you are out nothing if she vetoes it, right?
    If I sign up I am expected to attend otherwise I have to pay for the costs. They are locking it in at 100 people. It's not transferrable due to the whole air travel thing plus the race registrations are non-transferrable I think. Once 100 people sign up, that's it. I hope they don't fill up too quickly!!